PDA

View Full Version : How do the Deluxe figures work?

Jayspawn
05-05-2002, 02:08 AM
I bought Darth Tryanus this evening and I've been sitting here about an hour trying to launch him onto his pad. Has anybody been able to sucessfully do this? Is there any special pose or trick?

HELP!

SuperBattleDroid88
05-05-2002, 10:41 AM
I have also been trying to make him land on his feet.....
I was just about to make a thread but Jayspawn took the words right out of my mouth...
Any help here would be hot.... :P

cujo fett
05-05-2002, 10:57 AM
i had him land once, i think it was more of a fluke than anything!!

Obi-Don
05-06-2002, 12:48 AM
They work as well as the magnets in the hands do. I could do without all the effects. Just want the figures and without the crazied poses.

JediTricks
05-06-2002, 03:53 AM
Actually, once I got the trick of it, it became remarkably easy to get my Dooku to do this - I don't have Obi-Wan though.

You want to make sure your figure's heels are into the launcher part perfectly, if they're too far forward you won't get proper launch.

Make sure you've got a fairly stable, fairly flat surface and you're using the "walkway" piece properly.

Put the figure into the launcher so its legs are facing forwards and its lined up right.

Adjust the figure's posture so he's hunched forward till his saber is barely touching the walkway; then twist the figure at the waist so he's got his saber-holding arm somewhat in front of him; finally, adjust the left arm back or to the side, somewhere where it can give adequate counter-balance without looking dopey. The figure's posture, even slight variations in it, cause the flipping action to fail, succeed, change directions, and even go higher or farther.

Let'er rip! Pull back the button and the figure will fly upwards and hopefully land his feet on the round metal base - the foot magnets are strong enough that he'll often right himself if he flips too far.

Concentrate on how the figure is flipping:
- if he doesn't flip enough but he does go up and forward enough to look like a proper launch, reposition the torso to be in more of a hunch and/or turn the body to the left slightly more.
- if he flips too far, straighten him out a bit but be stingey here, it's easier to overcorrect this way than undercorrect.
- if he seems to have a weak and wild flip, pay more attention to the position of the legs and especially the feet in the launcher.

Ideally, the figure will be hunched over enough to look winded yet ready for battle, but not so much that he looks like he's hunting for a lost contact lens. Also, the saber will be in front and a little below his line of vision and the left arm will probably be just off behind his hip. IMO, it shouldn't take you more than 4 flips to get the hang of this - if you seem to be having no progress, step back and rethink your strategy.

Once you get it, it's a blast (even if the flip isn't as far as in the Hasbro commericals) and you'll get better and better at it.

pthfnder89
05-06-2002, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Actually, once I got the trick of it, it became remarkably easy to get my Dooku to do this - I don't have Obi-Wan though.

That's because the trick with Obi Wan is getting him to look like Ewan McGregor... :D:P

Bel-Cam Jos
05-06-2002, 11:18 AM
One problem I've had (well, the first problem is I was able to do it perfectly the first 2 times and never since then) is that if the magnet on the leg doesn't land correctly, it tends to scratch the round magnet pad. :eek: :( I too just have Dooku, and no Obi-Wan. I await lower prices. :rolleyes:

JediTricks
05-07-2002, 01:43 AM
Bel-cam, not to trivialize your issue there, but for me, if it stands after flipping, I don't care if it scratches it down to bare metal. Mine has been fairly gentle on the pad though, so I might feel differently later on (though I can't see that happening for me).

pthfnder89, with my Obi-Wan Coruscant, I ran an orange highlighter over the figure's hair (head and facial) and it looks more like Ewan - I bet it'll be the same with Deluxe Obi-Wan but I ain't gonna drop another 10 clams on something that is essentially the identical product as the Deluxe Dooku I already have. :D