PDA

View Full Version : Why must we wait????

DeadEye
05-05-2002, 08:23 AM
If the final cuts of the movie are being shown in advance screenings, that means the movie is ready NOW...so why must we wait eleven more days? :mad:

Beast
05-05-2002, 11:14 AM
"Patience, for the press the screenings are. And for charity, soon the time for the movie, it will be." :)

In other words, don't worry about it, they do this for every movie, to give the press time to write their reviews for the day the movie is released. Most "big" movies have charity screenings as well, just you don't hear about it as much, due to the fact most other movies don't have as many fanatics as the Star Wars films do. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
05-05-2002, 02:16 PM
Didn't anyone ever tell you patience is a virtue? Relax, you're going to give yourself a coronary.:) Typical of today's youth, they want everything "NOW!NOW!NOW!" :p:rolleyes:

2-1B
05-07-2002, 03:06 AM
I don't mind waiting a week after the press screenings or (especially) the charity screenings, but I do have a problem with the press screenings for a different reason: how many times (especially 3 years ago) has Lucas boasted that the old films were not well received critically? Why the heck would he bother letting the press in when they are probably just going to criticize it anyway?

Beh, I just usually hate movie reviews. Sometimes I'll read one that hits it dead on for me, but there's just too much difference in taste. Yes, we can all point to some general themes that make a movie good, but ultimately it's opinion. Here's a great example: Crossroads (Britney Spears version not Ralph Macchio version) got a B+ in Entertainment Weekly while Life as a House got a grade of C. Huh?

Or take Moulin Rouge - I loved it, some friends hated it. That's fine, we have different tastes. But that movie also seemed to polarize critics as well, so who the hell cares what they have to say when I can find some good reviews amongst my own circle of interaction (or my good friends at SSG :D ) ? ? ? ?

JediTricks
05-08-2002, 03:42 AM
"Final version"? Lucas was so nutty about Ep 1 that he altered the film during the last DAY before release. The version I saw at Midnight had the version of the ending where Maul doesn't come apart until nearly the end of the shot, yet every subsequent version had the normal version where Maul comes apart fairly early - it turns out that Lucas changed this and then changed his mind about the change and back and forth, and some of the press versions and earliest prints weren't changed until after the first few shows had been played. It's probably the same here - he'll be making little changes till the last minute.

As for why he sends out all these press screenings, I think he does it to make sure the film stays in the press' eye and also because he secretly wants to be liked and accepted. That and reviewers who are shut out of a new film generally get the idea that the film is going to be really bad and the producers are afraid of the bad press.