PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone confirmed there will be a new R5-D4?

Dexter
05-04-2002, 03:16 PM
Just curious. I got a lot of play-value out of the original R5-D4... heh. :D

Beast
05-04-2002, 03:25 PM
No, please...dear gods. Dexter, you are gonna have the R5-D4 fans coming after you with pitchforks for even suggesting that. :) If they give R5-D4 any action play features at all, it better be an exploding motivator. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Battle Droid
05-04-2002, 03:31 PM
He should just have a pop up motivator.

pthfnder89
05-04-2002, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Battle Droid
He should just have a pop up motivator.

Definitely.

Or maybe an angry Uncle Owen... :D;)

Lord Tenebrous
05-04-2002, 03:51 PM
I'd like him to be part of a multi-droid set, something like:

A New Hope

Tatooine Droids

Includes:

R5-D4 (astromech droid)
LIN-V8K (mining droid)
2X-7KPR (diagnostic droid)

Then add little features, like removeable motivator and articulated parts.

LTBasker
05-04-2002, 03:53 PM
Well since they didn't give the E2 R2 anything like that for blasting at those dern centipedes, I guess we're safe from THAT gimmick...for the time being. :crazed:

bigbarada
05-04-2002, 05:09 PM
Strangely enough I gave my nephews a whole bunch of my old POTF2 figures and the only one they fight over is that R5-D4, because of his rocket firing feature.

I would love to see a simple gimmick-less R5 with maybe an Ep2 "pointing" Jawa as a pack in.

Dak Powers
05-04-2002, 05:34 PM
Sure, I got a lot of play value out of my old R5-D4 (however, when one half of his body snapped off, I painted it and put it on my Milly Falcon, a "modification" of sorts (Han would be proud (whoa, parentheses within parentheses (and again!))))... But I never actually understood why they put that on there in the first place. Maybe Hasbro thought the motivator popping out was a dud missile? You never know with Hasbro. That's the #1 lamest gimmick ever, far worse than anything we've seen with Saga.

mark2d2
05-04-2002, 06:07 PM
Sadly, I'm still not convinced we will ever even see a Saga R5-D4 . . .

Jargo
05-04-2002, 06:18 PM
I think given the size of 2X-3KPR (diagnostic droid) the little one with the light up dome on top, he is a possibility as a pack-in but I'm definately with the no gimmicks voters. And even if we don't get a proper R5-D4 there's plenty of R5 droids in AOTC they could do that we could then repaint to get an R5-D4. Just as long as Hasbro chuck out at least one decent sculpt of an R5 droid I'll be happy. I personally don't want a pop up motivator but if he comes with one then I hope to Juno it's just a tiny feature that is easily fixed if you don't want it.

CooLJoE
05-05-2002, 05:57 AM
Heh, I saw an R5-D4 today MOMC. Almost bought it but decided to pass. That missle thing is lame. Otherwise he looks cool. Might go back to TRU and grab an FX-7 though.

yaddle yodas love pu
05-05-2002, 08:24 AM
Has anyone confirmed there will be a NEW R5D4? If so, what is your source. I would really like to see a new, accurate one, as the 1996, rocket firing "attack" version sucked big time.

Old Fossil
05-05-2002, 07:47 PM
Some here have speculated that the POTJ R4-M9 was originally slated to be our beloved R5-D4, only to have been switched because R5 is (supposedly) in AOTC and will be made into a figure to tie in with his appearance in that film.

I think this is probably true. I saw an article on AOTC in an issue of 'Entertainment Weekly' last month, and in the background of a shot of what I think was Mos Espa, there was R5, rolling away.

mark2d2
05-05-2002, 08:03 PM
Actually, R5-D4 WAS definitely confirmed AND then PULLED for R4-M9. At the time none of us (psychotic R5 fanatics!) much cared because as Twodot said, we all just assumed we'd be getting a new fig as he IS confirmed as being in the next film --- not only in those EW photos but at the official starwars site, too. If you look him up in the character data base, it says he's in Episodes IV and II.

I fully expected him to be in the first waves.

But he has yet to appear. And there had been no official word on his status. I was hoping that someone would bring this up at Celebrations Q & A, but apparently that didn't happen.

I REALLY WANT THE LITTLE GUY. HE WAS MY FAVORITE AS A CHILD.

Old Fossil
05-05-2002, 08:27 PM
Mine too, mark2d2. For a droid with such brief screen time, he carries great sentimental value.

MikeAndTheBots
05-05-2002, 09:11 PM
Doesn't hasbro include the 4th quater stuff as the 1st quater for the next year so he may come out late 2002.

pthfnder89
05-06-2002, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by mark2d2
Actually, R5-D4 WAS definitely confirmed AND then PULLED for R4-M9. At the time none of us (psychotic R5 fanatics!) much cared because as Twodot said, we all just assumed we'd be getting a new fig as he IS confirmed as being in the next film ---

But how was he confirmed? The only reason I ask is because we never have seen pictures of him.

leenovak
05-06-2002, 09:52 AM
Okay, I have to risk being called all sorts of names and having my fragile self esteem decimated, but who the heck is R5-D4? Which droid was he? Anyone have a pic?

Bah, nevermind, I found a pic. :)

I seem to recall a astromech droid wandering either the halls of the deatn star or of an Imperial ship in ANH....I'll have to wach the film again tonight after work, but he was almost all black, with just a bit of silver....anyone know who I'm talking about? And if there was ever a figure of him?

JEDIpartner
05-06-2002, 10:48 AM
Yeah... there was one LIKE that, but not exactly that one... it was the R2-Q5 from the POTJ line.

broctoon
05-06-2002, 01:55 PM
There is a song by a great band called Servotron (side project of surf band Man or Astro Man) about R5-D4. the band's gimmick is that they are robots who despise humans, and they have songs about various famous robots (and songs about killing humans and taking over earth). The song is entitled "Red Robot Refund (the ballad of R5-D4)." I believe the album it's on is called People Mover, but I'm not at home right now, so I'm not totally sure.

Just thought you R5-D4 fans might want to know. :)

mark2d2
05-06-2002, 03:03 PM
There were never pics of R5-D4 but he was listed as coming with that wave by ALL the major websites.

Old Fossil
05-06-2002, 08:25 PM
leenovak, R5-D4 is the astromech droid Owen chooses first in the Jawa droid sale in 'A New Hope.' However, R5 has 'a bad motivator' (if I recall correctly), and Threepio slyly suggests R2-D2 as a replacement after R5 malfunctions.

I was just trying to decide how to describe R5's head. Not conical, not cylindrical...

Droidlover
05-06-2002, 10:17 PM
Well I want several R5 to customize but D4 was my all time favorite when I was a kid. I got so excited when it was posted he would be in the last POTJ assortment, and so dissapointed when he was pulled. I really like the R4, but was so let down over not getting my R5D4.

Beast
05-07-2002, 02:41 PM
Check Thrawn's Q&A on the front page, looks like everyone's 2nd favorite astromech is due out later this year.

Q: Will they make new 3-1/2" scale R5-D4 in the near future?

A: Yes, there will be one in the saga line later this year if it stays on schedule.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mark2d2
05-07-2002, 04:20 PM
Woo Hoo! That is indeed Good news! Thank God somebody finally got us an answer and we have hope.

R5-D4 is so cool! And he will be yet another type of astro droid we can cross off our list! I can't stop smiling. Now, C'mon, Hasbro! Hurry this puppy up!!!