PDA

View Full Version : Dang! Weakening Willpower Here.

mark2d2
05-05-2002, 04:46 PM
Okay, when we first saw images of the ATOC figs, I was all like . . .heh heh heh. I'll only be getting like five of those tops . . .

Now that I have five of them --- R2-D2, C3-P0, OPD Anakin, R3-T7, and the Female Tuskin --- my firm resolve at sparce collecting seems to be slipping away faster than the Death Star could destroy a planet.

Don't get me wrong --- I certainly don't want everything.

But suddenly I most decidedly crave . . .

Yoda
Padme Pilot
Obidwan Coruscant Chase
Deluxe C3-P0
Zam AND her Speeder
Jango Fett Kamino Escape
Royal Guard
That Fat Blue Senator Guy

Soon, my spending will be spiraling out of control! Help!

. . . . "It is useless to resist. It is unavoidable."

So --- has this been happening to anybody else?

NOTE: And of course I want all the new OT figures that are coming out, but that was never in question.

2-1B
05-05-2002, 04:52 PM
I was firm in buying only my 8 figs at midnight madness, but since then I caved and bought Kit, Plo, Zam, and the Clone.

It's cool Mark2d2 that others are growing on ya, as long as you have fun with it - that's all that matters, right? :) If you suddenly crave a complete collection, then you'll need help. :crazed:

Forhekset
05-05-2002, 04:58 PM
Well, back when I hadn't seen the figs in person and all I had to go on was pics on the net, and most everyone was in a tizzy about the gimmicks and static poses, I was thinking blech, I ain't even gonna buy ONE of those new figs. Then I saw them in stores and really I thought they looked pretty good for the most part. Out of the figs I have so far:

Jango
Tusken Raider
C-3PO
R2
Zam
HD Anakin
Dooku
Yoda
Plo Koon
Kit Fisto
Nikto
Saesee Tin
Dexter
Jar-Jar
Clonetrooper
Super Battle Droid
Amidala

I think I could live without Jar-Jar, just 'cuz well, he's Jar-Jar. Though the sculpt and detail on him is nice, and the senatorial robes are cool. Otherwise I like 'em all. I did sort of "freak out" a little bit when I saw the new figures in a store but I don't think any of them so far were impulse buys. That's what I'm trying to avoid...impulse buying. I bought a lot of TPM garbage just because it was the first new SW movie in nearly 20 years.

So yeah, the same thing sort of happened to me. For a while I was like "Man, I'm not buying of that crap! LOL!" then that turned into, "Well the Royal Guard and Dooku look cool." Then when I actually saw the figures on the pegs I was surprised at how good I thought they looked despite the gimmicks and action poses. I say if you've got the money to spend, go pick up the ones you're craving. Just don't go overboard :D

Beast
05-05-2002, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
I was firm in buying only my 8 figs at midnight madness, but since then I caved and bought Kit, Plo, Zam, and the Clone.

It's cool Mark2d2 that others are growing on ya, as long as you have fun with it - that's all that matters, right? :) If you suddenly crave a complete collection, then you'll need help. :crazed:
Nice to see they are growing on so many. I was a supporter of the new line from the beginning, even though there are some duds in the line. I guess it's cause I remember playing with all those fun "gimmicky" toys in the 70's and 80's. Ahh, the memories. :) But, as I was saying, every line has had duds, from POTF2 to POTJ.

Hey Caeser, what's wrong with wanting a complete collection. I have one, every figure from 1995 til today and I don't need help. Of course I still enjoy mine. As I said in another thread, my Jedi's are currently fighting a loosing battle on my computer desk against my Sepratist Droid Army, until here come Jar Jar leading a squad of CloneTroopers to save the day. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth-AWT
05-05-2002, 05:04 PM
Normally I only collect the Jedi, my wife buys the droids. Like you I went all out for TPM, and I promised myself I would only buy the Jedi Figures this time.

But when I saw the backing cards, cool aliens, Jango and Boba I just could'nt help myself. Now im 9 figures away from owning all the first wav !

I am weak :P

CrossWizard
05-05-2002, 05:07 PM
I said the same thing, on the 23rd I was only going to buy 10 figures and nothing more, but when the day arrived and I saw those suckers hanging on the pegs I got weak and to this day I own 19 of original 27 figs the figures, and soon the Bespin wave will be added to those.

2-1B
05-05-2002, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Nice to see they are growing on so many. I was a supporter of the new line from the beginning, even though there are some duds in the line. I guess it's cause I remember playing with all those fun "gimmicky" toys in the 70's and 80's. Ahh, the memories. :) But, as I was saying, every line has had duds, from POTF2 to POTJ.

Hey Caeser, what's wrong with wanting a complete collection. I have one, every figure from 1995 til today and I don't need help. Of course I still enjoy mine. As I said in another thread, my Jedi's are currently fighting a loosing battle on my computer desk against my Sepratist Droid Army, until here come Jar Jar leading a squad of CloneTroopers to save the day. :D

Well, I can't say any of them have grown on me. :p I was never opposed to Kit or Plo, I just didn't want to spend more money. So I caved in that respect. Zam
was . . . a regrettable purchase because I left my Preview version on card and thought I might like her loose - I don't. And the Clone? I decided to put together a timeline so to speak of Clonie/Stormie.

There's nothing wrong with wanting a complete collection, for me it just got to be too much money and hassle . . . I was speaking more directly to Mark's once-firm stance on not buying many. If he went from only wanting 5 to "having" to buy all 27, that would be alarming! :sur: :crazed:

bigbarada
05-05-2002, 05:57 PM
I've had the same thing happen to me, I only had HD Anakin, Dexter, Jango KE and the Tusken Female after MM. Since then though I have been weak and I now have 16 figures. Fortunately I haven't spent money on any figure I have regretted yet.

Old Fossil
05-05-2002, 07:41 PM
I started with Luminara, Shaak Ti, Royal Guard, and the Tusken Mother, the day after Midnight Madness. Since then I've added an average of 1 figure every 2-3 days.

pthfnder89
05-06-2002, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

Lol, I have the same thing going on JJB. I have a large flat space on top of my computer desk for books, and it's now the battle ground for my little circle of Jedi being slaughtered by my vast Seperatist Battle Droid Army.

I hope mine aren't waiting for JarJar to show up leading troops though because they may be in for a loooooong wait ;) :P

I'm saving that 6 bucks in case I ever happen to actually *see* a Dooku in the stores.:rolleyes:

eliwankenobi
05-06-2002, 12:01 PM
I'm finding that I'm slowly beginning to want more too. I started thinking "I don't want anything til I see the movie".
I skipped MM, but went to the local TRU the next day just to look - and picked up the KE Jango and Padme.
A few days later I couldn't resist going by the local WM just to see what they had - and picked up the Zam and Clone Troop.
"OK, that's it till the movie."
But last week I was bored on my lunch hour and went to TRU on hearing that the Bespin wave was out (I'll get all the OT figs) - and picked up the HD Anakin, Dooku, and Yoda.
"No more - I'm so weak!"
Now I'm thinking I will wait til the flick, but I already have my sights set on Royal Guards, Geonosians, Typho, and a couple of the Jedi...
I love toys!

JediTricks
05-07-2002, 12:58 AM
My will power for some weakened (Kit Fisto, Ani OPD, and Deluxe Mace), but many more it hasn't budged: Shaak-Ti, Luminari, Tusken Female, Plo2, Saesee2, Nikto Jedi, etc..

Really, if I don't like a figure now, I won't buy it - but I will let advice and reviews from others sway me a little.

plasticfetish
05-07-2002, 01:35 AM
I'm just happy I'm broke right now ... instead I can be a good Toy Scout and hand over any cool finds to all of the 6 year olds who are too short to reach the upper pegs.

figrin bran
05-07-2002, 01:52 AM
severely diminishing will power right here! every time i go to the stores and come up empty, i'm tempted to pick up a battle droid

sith_killer_99
05-07-2002, 02:29 AM
This line has DESTROYED my collecting style.

No longer the completist, am I.

Until Hasbro drops the gimmicks and lousy poses I will remain defiant!

With that said, there are some real gems in the new line. A few of my favs are:

Yoda (mainly for the cool little lightsaber:D )
Royal Guard (The one we should have had all along)
Tusken Mother and Child
Jango Fett
Geo Warrior (great detail)

Looking forward to:

Luke
Palpatine
Orn Free Taa
Vader (MAYBE):rolleyes:

187-Maul
05-07-2002, 07:45 AM
well since the beginning I wanted some figures a lot and some not
till now I only have 1: Jango Fett KE
you might think I was strong and resisted to buy a lot of figures but believe I would have about 10 figs at the moment IF ONLY EUROPEAN TOYSRUS' WOULD HAVE SOME MORE FIGS !
they only have wave 1 collection 1 that means the line with all the gimmicks-figures - which I want least

jedi master sal
05-07-2002, 11:44 AM
When I first heard of and saw the new figs on the net I told myself that I wouldn't buy any of them.

Of course I caved miserably and bought them all witht the exception of Dooku (who I couldn't find, otherwise I would have got him too.)

I keep checking every 2-3 days (I average 4 times a week "hunting"). Now when I can't find something new I find myself either buying a geo warrior or red clone. I have too many now and have stopped buying those for the time being, but I may be forced into buying other SW non-toy item such as the Stratego game, puzzles and the like. (Yeah, I have a probelm)

Oh well, here's to the new toys and....

BRING ON THE CLONES!

Dexter
05-07-2002, 11:55 AM
Resistance is futile! You WILL be assimilated!

I hadn't bought a Star Wars figure since Episode I R2-D2. I walk into Wal-mart, BAM. There's the new wave. I walk out with R2-D2, Jar Jar, Dooku, Royal Guard, HD Anakin, Yoda, Luminara, and R3-T7, a full adict.

Now I just HAVE to have Jango Fett, both Mace Windus, Boba Fett, the Bespin wave... etc... etc... I'm hooked. Sigh...

187-Maul
05-07-2002, 03:13 PM
since E-1 R2 dexter !?! man that was like 3 years ago
but jedi master sal, if I had the money (and the figs in the stores), I would buy a lot of clonetrooers too
if you can't resist buying something head over to the mcfarlane area and buy a couple of those:D if you don't collect them yet of course

BTW how many troopers do you have at the moment ? maybe some pics of he army?

Forhekset
05-07-2002, 04:34 PM
I found a whole mess of preview Clonetroopers (which I actually like a bit better than the Saga Red Clonie) today at TRU. I almost bought them all to start building a clone army but I thought about it a little then put them back on the pegs.

hairless chewie
05-08-2002, 01:13 AM
Welcome to the dark side of being a completist! I don't go for variations with the exception being the brown/blue Han endor pants. The only piece that I don't have is the scanning trooper from the falcon carry case, that will require absolutely no other Star wars products out there.

Being that I am in Germany, I only have collection 1 now with the exception of R2 and Kit Fisto(my son has him, so its like I do too!). I opened all except pop star Padme, that will be my one quad-logo carded example. I get one of every figure thru Kebco so I'll open up the one that I get from them.

These initial collection 1 figures don't match up to everything that follows them but they are still unique. My humble opinions:
Anakin OPD- The retro saber thing is cool but hopefully only a one time thing. It limits the figure too much. I pose it with the poncho off and with the saber arm extended straight out in front of him.
Obi-Wan Chase- The magnet arm (B*tch Slap Feature)is very limiting but I like the metal saber hilt and the face sculpt. It may not be dead on but it looks like some work went into it.
Jango-Jango Fett, nuff said!
C3PO-wary of this one at first and was going to leave it in the package but my son convinced me to open it. A lot better than it looked and the parts were fun to snap on. After all, it is a toy, right?
SBD- Blast apart feature is interesting, I like the damaged chest panel but the big gun arm is too much for me. The little puny guns on the arms seem way too small for this big guy. At least it can stand on it's own!
On all of them, I checked the paint jobs to make sure I was getting a "monday" figure(good eyes/ aplications) as opposed to a "friday" figure( BUG or Crossed eyes).
Overall I am pleased and I know from here on out the figures will only be getting better, Qui Gonn being the exception.

Enjoy!!!:happy: :happy: :happy:

mark2d2
05-08-2002, 06:42 AM
I went out hunting today and it cost me a last minute chance to see Attack of the Clones here at a Press Screening in Los Angeles . . . For more on that see my thread about that fiasco . . .

But . . . the good news is that after hedging way to long, I finally picked up a Jango -- Kamino Escape. This is sure a sharp looking figure. Dang! I love the sleek, cool colors. (Is it just me --- but doesn't ESB's Boba Fett suddenly look very 80s?!) Jango's pose is great --- as are the holsters and groovy chrome style guns. The grapling hook is fun to play with and that pesky string can be so easily hidden by wrapping it around the backpack. I also appreciate the elbow articulation and removable helmet figures always rock.

I definitely have no regrets about this purchase . . . well, other than . . . uh . . . missing my friends last minute invite to tonight's press screening . . .