PDA

View Full Version : Does Luke know about his Grandmother?

Battle Droid
05-05-2002, 08:34 PM
Cause I figure Luke would notice Shmi's grave and would Owen tell him about her? or just tell more lies, like he did about Anakin?

bigbarada
05-05-2002, 08:59 PM
That's a really good question, I never thought about that. In the pictures I've seen there looks to be two gravestones that Anakin is kneeling before. Who's the other one for, Cliegg's first wife? I would assume that having the graves of your first two wives in your backyard would be a pretty strong deterrent to ever having a third wife.:D

mylow thehutt
05-05-2002, 09:25 PM
could be clegg.

Beast
05-05-2002, 09:30 PM
He probably knows about her, but not all that much. You know how kids are, most of them don't wanna hear the family drone on about dead relatives they have never met. Unless they are morbid goth kids, and Luke was way to whiny for that. :D

I remember that picture also, BigB. But I don't have a copy saved, and I can't locate it right now. But yes, the second marker was for Cliegg's first wife, though her name escapes me at the moment. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Battle Droid
05-05-2002, 09:36 PM
Well I figure Luke would want to know everything he could about his relatives/family, since he didn't have or remember any of them in his life.

Also I wonder if Owen knows Padme is Luke's mother? Probably not since Luke didn't know anything about his real mother, unless he figured Owen was lieing about her to since he lied about Anakin?

derek
05-05-2002, 09:54 PM
i heard that renegade jawas stole those tombstones.

2-1B
05-05-2002, 10:00 PM
"renegade" jawas? As opposed to . . . . "living within the confines of normal society" jawas? :confused: :D

Battle Droid, that's a good question about Owen and Padme. I'll speculate that we won't learn either way, but we might assume that he knows it's Padme since she and Anakin are already an item when they hit Tatooine.

Battle Droid
05-05-2002, 10:03 PM
Or Obi-Wan could say something about her when handing over Luke to Owen and Beru.

jobi
05-05-2002, 10:16 PM
What I want to know is that if Anakin new about the Whitesuns why didn't he look for his son there? And furthermore wouldn't it have been smart to change Lukes last name to Whitesun or something? All Vader needs to do is look up Skywalker in the Yellow Pages. After Shmi is killed don't you think Vader would come back and seek revenge on all of the Tuskens he didn't already kill.

bigbarada
05-06-2002, 02:26 AM
At this point we are not even sure if Anakin will know about the twins or even Padme being pregnant. Supposedly there were three years between Ep4 and 5, plenty of time for Vader to do some after-the-fact information digging. I willing to accept that Vader or the Emperor don't even know Luke exists prior to the events of ANH. Of course, they know Leia exists; but aren't aware of her relation to Vader.

I don't believe that any of this will really be explained in Ep3, that's asking a lot for one movie; but I'm also convinced that Anakin will have no knowledge about Padme's pregnancy.

Pendo
05-06-2002, 08:41 AM
Maybe (if he kills Padmé) Anakin kills her after she has had the children and not known they were born.

And about the Shmi gravestone thing, maybe it reads Shmi Lars, and Luke would take no interest.

PENDO!

pthfnder89
05-06-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
At this point we are not even sure if Anakin will know about the twins or even Padme being pregnant. Supposedly there were three years between Ep4 and 5, plenty of time for Vader to do some after-the-fact information digging. I willing to accept that Vader or the Emperor don't even know Luke exists prior to the events of ANH. Of course, they know Leia exists; but aren't aware of her relation to Vader.

I don't believe that any of this will really be explained in Ep3, that's asking a lot for one movie; but I'm also convinced that Anakin will have no knowledge about Padme's pregnancy.

You hit on my feelings exactly BigBarada. A lot of people are convinced that we'll actually see the twins born in Ep3 but I really don't think so. My personal theory is this :

The final scene of Ep3 will be Padme announcing to Obi Wan and perhaps Bail Organa, that she is pregnant, knowing that Anakin has already gone over to the darkside, this will seem like a big cliffhangar to anyone watching the series in order. Also, when ANH picks up 18 or so years later, the viewer will only know that she had a child; they won't know that she had twins, so that part of the "surprise" will still be kept in ROTJ.

Pendo
05-06-2002, 12:11 PM
I like it pthfnder89! At first I would have been dissapointed if they weren't born in Episode III but if it turns out like that I wouldn't mind.

PENDO!

Beast
05-06-2002, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by pthfnder89
You hit on my feelings exactly BigBarada. A lot of people are convinced that we'll actually see the twins born in Ep3 but I really don't think so. My personal theory is this :

The final scene of Ep3 will be Padme announcing to Obi Wan and perhaps Bail Organa, that she is pregnant, knowing that Anakin has already gone over to the darkside, this will seem like a big cliffhangar to anyone watching the series in order. Also, when ANH picks up 18 or so years later, the viewer will only know that she had a child; they won't know that she had twins, so that part of the "surprise" will still be kept in ROTJ.
The final shots for EIII, have already been confirmed in the Insider. They shot the delivery of the blanket wrapped infant Luke Skywalker, while they were in Tunisia. As for Leia, maybe we won't know that Padme has twins at the end of E3. But it doesn't really matter, at this point in the game, almost everyone knows Darth Vader is Anakin Skywalker, and is both Luke and Leia's Daddy. The shock in Empire Strikes back already isn't one for most of the audience, it's just Luke's shock in being told. Same goes for the shock of Leia being revealed as his sister. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
05-06-2002, 03:47 PM
Well... if there were scenes shot in Tunisia with an infant Luke, Joel and Bonnie don't know about it! Neither of them had EPISODE III scenes filmed and haven't even been signed to III at this point! :eek:

Pendo
05-06-2002, 05:12 PM
CAN WE STOP TAKLING ABOUT EPISODE III PLEASE YOUR TESTING MY PATIENCE AT REMAINING SPOILER FREE!!!!!!!!!

PENDO!

Pendo
05-06-2002, 05:13 PM
Only messin, talk about it all you want...I'll just have to remember not to come in this thread again.

PENDO!

RooJay
05-06-2002, 08:56 PM
I have to say I'm with pthfinder and bigB on this one. I'm pretty sure we won't see Padme die in Ep. 3, and we very probably won't be seeing the twins born in Ep. 3 (or EVER on screen). It just doesn't fit in my opinion, and it wouldn't really be neccesary to see in the context of the story.
By the way Pendo, even though you probably won't be coming back to this thread, I'd like to point out that these really aren't spoilers, but pure speculation. None of us really knows what'll end up in Ep. 3 at this point. Lucas hasn't even STARTED writing it yet. Anything he's shot so far for it would probably be just a case of him covering his bases.;)

RooJay
05-06-2002, 09:00 PM
Oh yeah...my take on whether or not Luke knows about his grandmother is that, if the Headstone doesn't say "Shmi Lars" like I'm pretty sure it would, Owen probably does tell him about Shmi, but probably skews the facts in such a way that he doesn't give away any "forbidden" info.

Bosskman
05-06-2002, 10:03 PM
Luke knows that Anakin Skywalker was his father. Nobody lied to him about that. The lie was that Luke was told that Anakin was a navigator on a spice freighter and that he was dead when, in fact, he was a Jedi who turned to the Dark side and was still alive. Luke probably knew all about Shmi and Cliegg and her death. Skywalker was his last name after all. He probably knew all about the Pod Race, Anakin's leaving Shmi, Shmi's marriage to Cleigg, the Tusken attack, Anakin returning and finding Shmi, and anything else that happens on Tatooine in EIII. The only thing that Luke doesn't know is that Anakin was away as a Jedi, not as a navigator. As far as Padme goes, Owen might not really know where she's from, only that, for whatever reason, she left Luke with him to raise. He probably doesn't know about Leia either. Leia was raised by Bail Organa and his wife, but she probably knew that she was adopted and had Padme in her early life at least from what we know in ROTJ. She probably was told a similar tale about Anakin father just like Luke was. Organa probably didn't know about Luke either. The only ones who know about the twins FOR SURE are Padme (obviously) and Yoda. Padme probably takes Leia to Alderaan and leaves Luke with Yoda, who then gives him to Obi Wan. That would explain the whole "there is another" scene in ESB and Obi Wan' not knowing about Leia. From reading the novel at least, it looks as if Yoda and Padme's relationship is being forshadowed. Yoda telling her that the Force is strong with her, and tugging her aside right before she leaves Palpy's office. I hope these are in the movie because I'm sure only her an Yoda know about the twins.

RooJay
05-06-2002, 10:12 PM
Now that's thinking Bosskman! I'm with you all the way, and I think you're on the right track.