PDA

View Full Version : This has bothered me for awhile......

hamsterboy
05-06-2002, 02:28 AM
Why is it that during their duel in ANH,Obi-Wan caleed Vader Darth instead of Anakin? Did Lucas not want to give something away?(Yeah,like by calling him by his first name you would know something)

bigbarada
05-06-2002, 02:34 AM
I think it's because Darth was originally supposed to be his first name not a Sith title. However, it can be seen as Obi-Wan referring to him formally to stress his broken ties with his old padawan.

Darth Nihilus
05-06-2002, 04:27 AM
I'm guessing for storyline purposes. Lucas wanted to save that revelation for the sequels, to shock both Luke and the audience.

Hellzer
05-06-2002, 06:50 PM
What Nihilus said was correct, but also (as Obi-Wan said in ROTJ) once Anakin turned to the dark side, his former padawan was lost forever under the visage of steel and circuitry. He addressed him as Vader since in his mind, Anakin was dead to him. Apparently Luke had a hell of a lot more faith than Obi-Wan that he could turn his father back to the good side.

Dryanta
05-06-2002, 07:26 PM
I have thought about this before.I know that the story wasn't complete at the time so it's a safe bet I think that Darth was supposed to be his name.
But from a story stand piont I think Ben was calling him by His sith title darth.Didn't the emporer also call Luke "Jedi"?A acknowledgement of his title?

Taichi
05-07-2002, 12:46 PM
Knowing now, what we didn't know then, it's a bit chilling to hear Obi Wan calling Vader by his (Now Title) Darth.....

it seals the fact that Anakin is no longer a human at this point, and in my mind, Obi is just using it to shock Vader.......

he wouldn't call him Anakin, because he's dead to Obi.....and so, Obi is now calling him by his title.......it sounds now, that Kenobi is actually hissing the name out, kinda like it leaves a bad taste in his mouth.....

hamsterboy
05-09-2002, 02:17 AM
The thing that made me really think about this was that in Ep.I neither Qui-Gon or Obi-Wan called Maul Darth.

LTBasker
05-09-2002, 03:32 AM
They didn't call him anything except for a "Sith" but they didn't say it to him...they didn't say anything to him. Though I think in a cutscene, Obi-Wan talked to him while hanging in the pit, but I don't recall him calling Maul anything.

bigbarada
05-09-2002, 04:11 AM
I don't think Qui-Gonn and Obi-Wan even knew Maul's name or if he really was a Sith. They suspected it; but it wasn't until after Maul was dead that they confirmed it. All Qui-Gonn really knew was that Maul was trained in the Jedi arts.

I pretty certain that in 1975 when ANH was being filmed, "Darth" was Vader's first name, not a Sith title. The only time we ever heard other Sith being referred to as Darth was in Ep1. And we all know how much "canon" was rewritten by that movie.

JEDIpartner
05-09-2002, 01:27 PM
Darth... like General, Commander or even "duuuuuuuuuuuuuuude!"

Something or a monniker to address the invidual by. Uh... I suppose.

Darth Ovori
05-09-2002, 03:57 PM
Then that great sence in ESB would have never made history...

evenflow
05-09-2002, 04:20 PM
I say Lucas didnt have the entire story line completed planned out. He decided that Vader would be Luke's father later on.

hamsterboy
05-10-2002, 02:15 AM
Uh....you read my response wrong. I didn't say they knew Maul's name,I wanted to know why they didn't call him "Darth".

JediTricks
05-10-2002, 08:30 PM
Seems like they didn't have anything to say to the Sith Lord at all during that battle, they didn't even know for sure he was a Sith. The battle between Obi-Wan and Vader in ANH is clearly a very personal battle and I think barbs and jibes would go along with that. However, in Ep 1, would it have been as interesting to hear Qui-Gon ask things like "What is your purpose here? Why must you fight us?"

Eternal Padawan
05-11-2002, 10:42 AM
In ANH I always thought Darth was a title, like Moff or Governor was a title. It seemed to me like Obi Wan was spitting it at him, mocking him and all that he stood for. Like "Only a master of evil, JERK." Ben was contemptuous of what his former apprentice had become and was throwing it back at him.

Freedom
05-14-2002, 10:33 PM
Darth Vader was always going to be Luke's father.

"Darth Vader" is Dutch (I think) for "Dark Father."

stillakid
05-15-2002, 09:44 AM
Two things:

At the time ANH was written, it doesn't appear that the rest of the story was pinned down, so relatively minor details like titles probably weren't entirely thought out. So "Darth" was most likely just a part of Vader's name at that point. Later on, Lucas and Co. decided to use it as a kind of Sith title. So Old Ben calling Vader "Darth," I think, was just a way of calling him by name then.

And, he wouldn't call him "Anakin" because that major element of the story probably was envisioned during the writing of ANH, so Obi Wan really did believe that Anakin was dead and his body(?) was being used by this half-machine abomination.

187-Maul
05-15-2002, 10:04 AM
wel vader actually is dutch and means father but darth is not dark
I think the word doesn't even exist in dutch (went to a dutch school 4 years)

Darkross
05-15-2002, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Freedom
Darth Vader was always going to be Luke's father.

"Darth Vader" is Dutch (I think) for "Dark Father."

No...I don't think that's where the title Darth came from...since according to many SW sources Darth came from combining the words "Dark Sith".

Lman316
05-26-2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
Two things:

At the time ANH was written, it doesn't appear that the rest of the story was pinned down, so relatively minor details like titles probably weren't entirely thought out. So "Darth" was most likely just a part of Vader's name at that point. Later on, Lucas and Co. decided to use it as a kind of Sith title. So Old Ben calling Vader "Darth," I think, was just a way of calling him by name then.

That's what's I've always thought too. Because if Darth had always been a title, it wouldn't have really worked. It would be like this: "...named Darth Vader, who was a pupil of mine until he turned to evil..." So, if Darth was a title like general or something, would you really say: "...named General Vader, who was a..." ? It just doesn't sound right to say "he was named this..." and put in his title. So, to start out, it was probably just his first name.