PDA

View Full Version : anyone care for a death star playset?

SNAYSON
05-06-2002, 10:42 AM
does anyone care for a totally new deathstar playset? One possiblity is sell the playset in modules so they can be connected to make one MASSIVE play set. May even as tall as four levels.

Oh well, just a thought.

DaneSolo
05-06-2002, 03:35 PM
I'd be interested in a modular Deathstar so long as it is bigger and badder than the old Kenner one. AND of course it would have to have a trash compactor addition. Hasbro could even offer "bags of trash" for like $2 that you could add to the compactor. I think it's sucha good idea there's no way in Hell Hasbro will ever do it!:(

mark2d2
05-06-2002, 04:58 PM
Heck, I'd even be stoked to see a reissue of the Classic Death Star set from the 1970s. They could just do a little retooling --- a much better trash compactor and I'd rush out to the stores for it!

SNAYSON
05-06-2002, 05:07 PM
RETOOL THE OLD PLAYSET + SELL NEW ADD ON PLAYSETS THAT CAN BE CONNECTED (EXAMPLE: THE HANGER WHERE THE FALCON WAS) + A RETOOLED/DESIGN OF THE TRASH COMPACTOR = ONE COOL DEATH STAR SET.

THIS IS REALLY WISHFUL THINKING!

DarthMaulSithLord
05-06-2002, 06:04 PM
The old playset would not suffice in this age of technical and figural wonders.

:D

RooJay
05-06-2002, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by SNAYSON
RETOOL THE OLD PLAYSET + SELL NEW ADD ON PLAYSETS THAT CAN BE CONNECTED (EXAMPLE: THE HANGER WHERE THE FALCON WAS) + A RETOOLED/DESIGN OF THE TRASH COMPACTOR = ONE COOL DEATH STAR SET.

THIS IS REALLY WISHFUL THINKING!
I think that's a GREAT idea!

SNAYSON
05-06-2002, 11:51 PM
anyone remeber Hasbro's GI Joe aircraft carrier playset? It's BIG! Imagine the Death Star modular playset combined together with multi levels. Kids definitly would get a kick out of that. Collectors ,i think, would also get a kick out if it recreating scenes of the movie in one big playset.

ME personally (my opinion) i would be stoked about it.

RooJay
05-07-2002, 12:59 AM
Me too! Even though I would have anywhere to put it!:( :D

underdog25
05-07-2002, 09:52 AM
AWSOME to think about and dream too. If the Shuttle price point is going to be $125 can you imagine what the DS playset would be? $200, $300? How about the modular playsets? They would cost at least $50 if not more. There has to be a way and one that Hasbro can do to let us all in on it.

RooJay
05-07-2002, 03:17 PM
I don't see as how any modular playset would have to cost over $30. I mean for the larger ones. Smaller playsets could go for as little as $15-20. The important thing is scale; these would definitely have to be scaled down at least some. If not to keep the price down, then to keep the size of the finished product from becoming unmanageable!

stillakid
05-07-2002, 03:59 PM
We've been down this road before:
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2019

So instead of retyping everything, I've cut and pasted all of my ideas :) . Also, take a look at my Star Destroyer plans:
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=549

Originally posted by stillakid

I'll still campaign for my all-in-one Death Star playset.

Roughly, the same height as the vintage Death Star playset. When closed up, it's a globe with detailing that makes it a fine display Death Star like has never before been created. It opens into 4 wedges, each with interconnected play areas.

With a playset this size, all of the attributes of the ANH battlestation as well as the ROTJ additions could easily be included adding tremendous value, both for play and economy.

It would be slightly more expensive than than the typical cardboard cutout playsets that we've been offered, but the cache and originality of it would attract young and old alike.

While the above ideas of having Hasbro release separate interlocking pieces isn't a bad idea, I don't think that they would be nearly as marketable as one giant kick-*** looking Death Star sitting on a toy shelf. If you build it, they will come.

Whole globe with a slightly flattened bottom. Imagine taking the vintage Death Star playset and adding a curved "shell" to it. That would be one of the wedges.

I think that it would work out best to have one half be one of the pieces then split the other half into two wedges. The side that is an entire half could have longer areas in it, like hallways with blastdoors or even a hangar bay. The wedges could have the Emperor's chamber at the top and the trash compactor at the bottom. Suffice it to say that there is a lot of room to integrate many of the favorite Death Star attributes. The vintage playset had a 21" tall elevator which could be used as a central "core" to connect the pieces together. The entire playset would likely top out around 2' tall (and around) once you put the curved shell on it.

That price tag you quoted is a bit high I think. Remember, they charge whatever they want to...whatever they think they can get. A 3" action figure doesn't cost anywhere near $7 bucks to design, manufacture, and distribute when they make a lot of them. They charge that money because they know they can get it. Look at the price drops in the Queen's ship, the 12" Dewback, the 12" "pegwarmers", pegwarmer's in general. Somebody is still making a little profit at those enormous price cuts. That's why they stop dropping the price tag at a certain point, otherwise they'd just give them away for free. So this playset might have a real cost of $50 to $75 to produce and distribute, which they would inflate to around $150 retail. That is a lot of money, but people are generally willing to accept the cost if they perceive the value in the product. I of course guessed at those costs, but I averaged out what I think is the real cost (lower) and what I think they'd ask for (higher). My honest opinion is that it would cost less per unit to make and distribute and a fair retail price would be around $100. I factored in the greed-profit motive.

I'd buy it and I believe that a lot of other people would too. The Queen's ship sits on clearance shelves as we speak (I believe) due to a poor lead in (TPM wasn't as good as the classic trilogy). A really cool looking classic trilogy toy will get the parent's attention (late 20's to late 30's) (nearly everybody liked the classic trilogy) and no kid could resist a toy that huge. It would sell out. Almost guaranteed.

Just like an actual movie set, so much more could be done with independent playsets, so naturally there would some compromise within each "scene" for an all-in-one playset.

I haven't drawn plans up yet (but maybe soon!), but I'll try to give some written clues as to this hypothetical dream.

Docking Bay 327 (the big problem): This would be located on the lower portion of the complete "half." Like so many playsets before this, sadly because of size restrictions, the Falcon would have to be represented by a photo backdrop, but there really is no way to squeeze the Falcon Toy or the Shuttle Tyderium (sp?) into a hangar-type playset that isn't absolutely gargantuan. The good news is that the "room" could have blast doors off to one side for recreation of the duel. If Hasbro went all out, they could include a floor panel that slid out from the "half" to give more floor space to line up Stormtroopers on.

DB327 control room (the red room): Right above the Hangar space, in the mid-section of the "half."

The Elevator Bank: The central core of the entire playset, constructed in the same way as the vintage model. It integrates the elevator action as well as the tractor beam control walkway.

The Outer Detention area: Just above the Garbage Compactor.

The Detention Block hallway: In the next wedge over and on the same level as the Outer Detention Area.

Garbage Chute: In the wedge opposite and just above the one with the Compactor as part of the Outer Detention Area.

The Tractor Beam Controls: As above, integrated into the cental elevator column.

The Rope Swing: An abitrary placement of an extended bridge from one wedge to another or to the central column, ala vintage version.

The Vader/Ben Duel: Lower level of the "half," off to the side of the hangar bay area.

The Blast Doors: Integrated into hangar Bay.

Plus various hallways that Ben sneaks through or Han howls through: N/A

Add to that the Throne room, which from the post above is a giant playset unto itself: The entire upper level of all three pieces (one half, two wedges)

And finally, the nature of the design excludes 50% of the play space because it has to represent the "Outside" of the Death Star: Some of the "rooms" would need straight walls, so indeed some of that trapped curved space would be lost to outright play, however it could be utilized as storage and/or use breakaway panels for guntowers to pop out of or something.

I've been playing around with the vintage Death Star and trying to "connect" the playset pieces that we got a couple years ago with some success. It takes a little reconfiguration and some extra supports but I've managed to rig up the Detention Hallway so that the heroes can really fall into the bright orange compactor. The Rope Swing is a little tougher to integrate into the old design, but it can go just about anywhere so long as it gets supported so that it is on "level 2." I'm still trying to figure out the best way to remove the gun emplacement on the top level and replace it with the Emperor's throne. Doing all that stuff got me thinking about a well-designed playset like the one I'm suggesting. I think that it is possible and for a reasonable cost. But with the way Hasbro feels about releasing the Shuttle, I don't forsee any realistic hope of it ever happening from them. Looks like a custom job!

Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi

I was thinking insteads of a "slide out" docking bay floor, how about a "panel" that separates the two wedge quarters from the wedge half. When you open up the DS, the panel folds down to reveal a docking bay floor. Hinged on the edge of this is a "hangar bay entrance" that folds up and locks in between the two quarters. Two feet x Two feet might almost be big enough for a shuttle or a Falcon to stand in. just an idea.

It's lookin' good, though. I can sort of see it in my mind.

Originally posted by stillakid

That's a good idea! There's probably a way to work in a flourescent "magnetic hangar bay" frame as well to complete the look.

DarthMaulSithLord
05-07-2002, 08:45 PM
Playsets:
(combine to form huge play area!!!)
- Lars Homestead;
Section A: Entrance w/desert scene, moisture vaporators w/ droid & Owen Lars.
Section B: Garage, dining room and kitchen w/Beru Lars.
Section C: Luke's Room, oil bath, tool chests w/Luke Skywalker & "dirty" C-3PO.

- Death Star Battle Station;
Section A: Electronic Hangar w/ceilling racks for 3 Fighters, crane, freight/personel elevator, lights, and sounds w/Imperial Scanning Crew x2 w/toolbox.
Section B: Electronic Info Station w/working consoles and droid access port w/electronic Imperial droid w/retractable access arm.
Section C: Electronic Security Station w/working consoles, closet, doorway w/sounds, droid access port and Imperial Officer.
Section D: Electronic Detention Block w/control room, working consoles, doors, droid access port, trash chute, 4 cells, alarm buttons and lights w/Detention Block Officer and interrogator droid (can be suspended from wire or on a standard).
Section E: Electronic Trash Compactor w/sounds, trash, dianoga and compressing feature w/Han Solo in Stormtrooper disguise.
Section F: Electronic Power Generator w/chasm, droid access port, switches, lights, sounds and part of chasm & pair of Stormtroopers & Obi-Wan Kenobi.
Section G: Electronic Chasm w/elevating bridge, opening doors, lights w/Luke, Leia and Stormtrooper.
Section H: Electronic Turbolaser w/lights, sounds, moving barrels w/Death Star Gunner.
Section I Electronic Superlaser Firing Station w/lights, sounds and Death Star Gunner.
Section J Electronic Fighter Hangar w/racks for 10 fighters in rack of 5 (stacked) w/lights, sounds, ceilling crane, boarding ramps, observation walkway and door w/Imperial Technician w/toolbox..
Add-on 1: Death Star Hallway (straight) w/Stormtrooper.
Add-on 2: Death Star Hallway (T-crossing) w/Stormtrooper.
Add-on 3: Death Star Hallway (crossing) w/Stormtrooper & Mouse Droid.
Add-on 4: Death Star Elevator w/Stormtrooper.

A lot of thought went into this!

SNAYSON
05-07-2002, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by DarthMaulSithLord
Playsets:
- Lars Homestead;

Section A: Electronic Hangar w/ceilling racks for 3 Fighters, crane, freight/personel elevator, lights, and sounds w/Imperial Scanning Crew x2 w/toolbox.
Section B: Electronic Info Station w/working consoles and droid access port w/electronic Imperial droid w/retractable access arm.
Section C: Electronic Security Station w/working consoles, closet, doorway w/sounds, droid access port and Imperial Officer.
Section D: Electronic Detention Block w/control room, working consoles, doors, droid access port, trash chute, 4 cells, alarm buttons and lights w/Detention Block Officer and interrogator droid (can be suspended from wire or on a standard).
Section E: Electronic Trash Compactor w/sounds, trash, dianoga and compressing feature w/Han Solo in Stormtrooper disguise.
Section F: Electronic Power Generator w/chasm, droid access port, switches, lights, sounds and part of chasm & pair of Stormtroopers & Obi-Wan Kenobi.
Section G: Electronic Chasm w/elevating bridge, opening doors, lights w/Luke, Leia and Stormtrooper.
Section H: Electronic Turbolaser w/lights, sounds, moving barrels w/Death Star Gunner.
Section I Electronic Superlaser Firing Station w/lights, sounds and Death Star Gunner.
Section J Electronic Fighter Hangar w/racks for 10 fighters in rack of 5 (stacked) w/lights, sounds, ceilling crane, boarding ramps, observation walkway and door w/Imperial Technician w/toolbox..

i like that. i will have to input my thoughts on the playset later.

stillakid
05-07-2002, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by DarthMaulSithLord
Playsets:
- Lars Homestead;

Now, will all of these plastic walls be exclusives or should we just wait for the clearance sales?;)

As cool as the individual sets would be on their own, Hasbro has a much better chance of selling an all-in-one playset that actually looks like something from the movie.

According to that report from SS at C2, Hasbro is still paying attention in here, so I'll keep banging my pots and pans until it happens. :D

Darth Scooby
08-28-2002, 06:31 PM
Well, I can not wait for Hasbro to make these playsets - I am making my own!

What I am nearly finished is a 2 metre long Star Destroyer which is rather bulky. Maybe I should of thought about doing it in fit together peices, but it looks good. Please have a look at the photos under Star Wars on my website. They are a little old but I am updating them as I go. I am almost at the painting stage now with much interior completed. Sorry about making you trawl through my family portraits first to find them - I will create a new site eventually!

Anyway when complete the ISDI Devastator (I know it has the wrong Bridge Tower) will have a platform to encupsul the Millenium Falcon and will have lighting and possibly sound too.

That is project number one. Next up will be a Jawa Sandcrawler, Jabba's Sailbarge and then a Death Star. I intend using a bookcase as a platform with possibly opening hatches to the inside, outside will be the surface with a Trench large enough to fit an X wing in etc. Inside will be the interior on several levels from the Emporer's thrown room at the top to the Landing bay at the bottom. It will just be a kind of segment of a sphere but again very large.

Just thought you would like to know!!

Darth Scooby
08-28-2002, 06:33 PM
and my webpage address which did not appear???

http://communities.msn.com/MarkShannKirei

Eternal Padawan
08-28-2002, 07:07 PM
Not bad, DS. What's it made of? Is it heavy? Is it hollow? Can you put figures inside of it? Keep up the good work!

ROLLO!

RooJay
08-28-2002, 09:06 PM
Wow! That's pretty cool! I hope we get to see it finished! Your pics have kind of got me interested in trying to make one of my own. Do you have any plans/ schematics? Even measurements and a list of materials? Patterns? Any help would be cool.

Jayspawn
08-29-2002, 11:49 AM
I'd really like to see a Death Star playset. I don't think that Hasbro would do it, but it would be nice.

Darth Scooby
10-14-2002, 05:31 PM
Well, my ISDI is nearering completion. I know this is supposed to be about the Death Star but after this 'large' project is finished I will be lookiing at building the Death Star.

All the suggestions and ideas listed will be very usefull to me so thanks to all.

Dave_Cameron
10-18-2002, 02:36 PM
Great suggestions, but a toy company will never make something so extensive as that. If they just improved upon the Original mold and, possibly, added a second (similarly sized) section with the "missing" parts - I think we should be happy.

Darth Scooby
11-16-2002, 04:29 PM
Well folks, my Star Destroyer is nearing completion and will be featured as COTW over on rebel scum very soon. For those that can't wait please feel free to check out my 'wip' photoalbum:

http://groups.msn.com/StarDestroyer

sith_killer_99
11-16-2002, 04:58 PM
Here's an idea to add to the fire.

Take the new Death Star Trash Compactor sets and mold a DS trash compactor play set around it! That way you can cut the cost of remaking all the contents. Hasbro could make essentially an empty shell, just a few molded walls that the new sets could fit into.

I would be all for Hasbro cranking out a few of these modular sets, but it would also be nice if they threw in an extra figure, preferably an Imperial Baddie, you know, a Stormtrooper here, an Imp. Officer there, or ever a DS gunner!

Wasn't there a rumor of Hasbro doing a Death Star Gun with DS Gunner deluxe set?

Jargo
11-16-2002, 07:43 PM
There's a rumor of an Emperor's throne room playset for 2003. I won't even speculate on the likelihood of that happening but i do think it's a cool idea. I always worry whenever i hear the words hasbro and playset in the same sentence though. I wonder how they'll work in the obligatory missile firing cannon though. Palpatine's throne with force flip effect, Magnetic attract gantry section (that never has the magnetic strength to attract) and lets not forget the 'spring' loaded floor panels to catapult Luke and his Daddy at each other. All essentials in making a Hasbro playset. Then there's the lack of details and the lack of walls. The scaling down of any details that are included. The size of the playset being far too limited to actually get any figures onto it comfortably.

I dare you to astound me Hasbro people, I throw down my gauntlet at your feet *THWAP!* the challenge is on...

Darth Scooby
11-20-2002, 06:01 PM
Hi again, for those that are interested please check out my photoalbum of my Star Destroyer. It is not entirely finished as the interior is still bare and there is much more detail to add to the exterior but I am quite proud of it!

http://groups.msn.com/StarDestroyer

Sentinel18725
12-01-2002, 01:32 AM
If Hasbro would make these playsets open ended, you could build as big of a death star as you wanted. If you wanted five detention blocks, buy five and connect them lengthwise, starwise, parallel, perpindicular, upside down, etc.....Bigger "command" room, more turbo lasers, then buy more. I think that would be awesome

Darth Scooby
12-01-2002, 05:11 AM
Although not quite finished my ISDI, I have been playing around with a Death Star idea. Thanks to the previous thread contributer's I have the list of rooms I must include. My intention is to make a 6' sphere (any larger and no one could reach!) that would only be a half. I would go flat againt a wall i.e. this shape |) and have removable panels just my Star Destroyer. The centre (from the outside) would be the trench with the super laser higher up. The trench would be large enough for the power fx X Wing to cruise down comfortably and underneath would act as the langing bay or 6 rather. 2 large bays in the centre; MF in one, Lamba shuttle in another and two verticle smaller landing bays at either side. This would be the largest section of the playset as the higher or lower you go the small it is going to get. The Emperor's Thrown room would go at the top with the Trash compactor at the bottom. I may even make the bottom right hand cover panel twice; complete as for the DS1 and partial complete to represesnt the DS2. But I think we can asume the layout would have been the same. Although the opening of ROTJ did say that the second DS was larger? - but we won't go there.

So, I can't wait to start work on this but if the year plau my ISDI took to build is anything to go by it may not be a quite a while. I'll keep you posted.

You can check out my work on Rebel Scum or FFURG.com, thanks.

TOY_EMPIRE
12-17-2002, 12:04 AM
my idea was similar to stillakid's, has anyone ever joined 10 vintage deathstar playsets together?, I saw it on ebay once it totally rocked.
If hasbro could use the same scale roughly of the vintage wedges they could easily release these wedges seperately over the course of the year or years allowing collectors to choose what sections of the deathsar that they want to aquire? with that many options i'm sure that everyone will be happy.

and it would totally kick *** if you collected all of them!!!!!

JediDBM
01-05-2003, 03:42 PM
I could only afford to buy two vintage deathstar playsets, but my original plan was to buy four of them and set them in a half circle and conect them together with different little things like on the top level they were connected by the final duel scene with the emporer, Vader and Luke, and the bottom was connected with (I dont remember what it was called) but it was a playset, no figures included, of the bridge that Luke and Leia swung across in A New Hope. Another would be connected with the detention block playset, different things to make it closer to the movie.