PDA

View Full Version : Groovy but odd food combos...

JEDIpartner
05-06-2002, 11:24 AM
It seems that my "peanut butter" thread spawned a "chips on sandwiches" tangent... So- I thought this might be fun, albeit stomach turning in some people's choices.

Here goes...

I put sour creme on a slice of pizza as a dare and it was really good!! We all started doing that at parties and it's become our "thing".

I also like to mix dry (not the overly runny sort) cottage cheese into my spaghetti because it's like cheating at lasagne!

I think it's the whole creme/tomato thing that does it for me!

Pendo
05-06-2002, 11:29 AM
I like Sugarpuff Sandwiches. Delicious :D.

Also, once I has tomato sauce and caviar. I thought the sauce MIGHT improve the taste cause I can't stand caviar.

PENDO!

2-1B
05-06-2002, 11:32 AM
Hey Partnr, sorry your PB thread got off track . . . I just couldn't help but roast Mandalorian Candidat a bit. :D

Hmmm, as a kid I liked mixing cold apple sauce with my warm mac and cheese. :crazed: That might not be groovy but as Threepio might say, "R2, I find that Caesar creature . . . rather odd."

SWAFMAN
05-06-2002, 12:38 PM
re: JEDIpartnr's:
I also like to mix dry (not the overly runny sort) cottage cheese into my spaghetti because it's like cheating at lasagne!

that's, in fact, a real recipe called 'Johnny Mousetti'. Some people substitute cream corn for cottage cheese, but the faux lasagne effect is the same. Yummm. Now that you've reminded me, I'm gonna have to make it again soon. Hint: use Ziti instead of straight spaghetti for an even more lasagne-like taste.

back on PB topic... I enjoy peanut butter, lettuce & mayonnaise sandwiches. my grandmother turned me on to them when I was a pup. mmmm... good!

Beast
05-06-2002, 12:47 PM
I really like putting cottage cheese on pizza, now that's a taste senastion. It's especially good on mexican pizza. Yum! :D

I can't stand to eat spagetti or goulash, etc. without bread and butter. I actually put it on the bread and eat it like a sandwich, very tasty as well.

That's all that pops into my head at the moment, I'll add more if they come to me.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

InsaneJediGirl
05-06-2002, 12:54 PM
Whats good is Corn(Niblets) on mashed potatoes and Southern Gravy(You might call it White/Country Gravy).A deadly starch combo,but an great one!

Another werid food combo is the dish Chicken Poppycosh.Similar to Chicken Paprika(sp?) with sour cream,chicken stock,chicken really heavy fried noodles,and a ton of herbs.:D :D Sounds kinda gross(my friends think so) but the sour cream tastes like Cheddar Cheese when everything is done.

Dryanta
05-06-2002, 01:34 PM
OK I'll bite JP.I dip my pizza in ranch dressing.Really good!!!

JEDIpartner
05-06-2002, 02:19 PM
There was this one lady I knew... she had to have butter, gravy and sour creme on her french fries. I don't think she ever gave it much thought, but it was probably the reason that she looked liked Yarna D'al Gargan!!!! :crazed:

JetsAndHeels
05-06-2002, 02:37 PM
One time I tried peanut butter and jelly on a cheese pizza (an idea I got from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles). It was quite good actually. I havent had one since, but after reading this thread and thinking about it again I may have to make another one.

Jason B
05-06-2002, 02:43 PM
well, I like Steak-ums with parmesan cheese and all of the grease from the pan poured on top. does that count? :D

JetsAndHeels
05-06-2002, 02:55 PM
Oh my God.

2-1B
05-06-2002, 03:04 PM
How about pickles on pizza?
I never even considered it until last week when I bought a slice of Bacon Cheeseburger pizza at a convenience store. So I was eating it, thinking "if that isn't a pickle I'm tasting, then I am crazy." Sure enough, it was a hamburger style pickle chip, and the pizza was quite tasty.

JetsAndHeels
05-06-2002, 03:21 PM
I had a similar encounter last Sunday. I was eating out with my family at Pizza Inn and they had cheeseburger pizza. It had the meat, cheese, mustard, and ketchup. It was very good. I enjoyed it. No pickles though.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-06-2002, 04:40 PM
No explanation. Just a list.

Mashed potatoes (or rice) and corn or peas
Syrup and bacon
French fries and tartar sauce
French fries dipped in a Wendy's Frosty
Baked potatoes with BBQ sauce and romano cheese
Using egg bagels as hamburger buns

Not really all that weird. But good!

El Chuxter
05-06-2002, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
French fries dipped in a Wendy's Frosty

Dude! My mom loves that, though I never acquired the taste.

Nacho chips with mustard are quite good.
Heinz 57 can be put on just about anything, especially potato products.

QLD
05-06-2002, 06:05 PM
Well, I thought this was disgusting until I tried it.

Mix Pepsi and Milk. It's actually not that bad.

SWAFMAN
05-06-2002, 07:21 PM
Aghhh! QLG, my girlfriend was the first one I ever saw do that! Now, she has my kids liking it, too. I refuse to ever try it. Blecchh!

InsaneJediGirl
05-06-2002, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
No explanation. Just a list.
Syrup and bacon

Syrup and Bacon is the best in between Pancakes.Makes for a great(messy) breakfast sanwhich :D

JetsAndHeels
05-06-2002, 07:41 PM
IJG, have you heard of "Pigs in a blanket"?
Sausage inside pancakes.
Man thats some good stuff.

InsaneJediGirl
05-06-2002, 07:51 PM
We have that in our freezer JF96.Wal-Mart calls it "Breakfast on a Stick".The stuff tastes great,kinda like eating a corn dog for breakfast.

Then there is Hot Dog in biscut dough.Pour some ketchup on it and it makes a great lunch item :)

Beast
05-06-2002, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by JangoFett96
IJG, have you heard of "Pigs in a blanket"?
Sausage inside pancakes.
Man thats some good stuff.
Ok, here is somthing that has been bugging me for ages, why are there so many foods that are called pigs in a blanket? What is the deal, arn't there any original names left? Sausages wrapped in pancakes, hotdogs wrapped in biscuts, and beef stuffed cabbage rolls. :confused:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

InsaneJediGirl
05-06-2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

Ok, here is somthing that has been bugging me for ages, why are there so many foods that are called pigs in a blanket? What is the deal, arn't there any original names left? Sausages wrapped in pancakes, hotdogs wrapped in biscuts, and beef stuffed cabbage rolls. :confused:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

You dont call beef stuffed in cabbage with tomato sauce "Boiled Cabbage"?We've allways called it that here at my house.Hot dogs in biscuts are pigs in a blanket..so is the breakfast one(its really the same thing,if you think about it)

Beast
05-06-2002, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by InsaneJediGirl
You dont call beef stuffed in cabbage with tomato sauce "Boiled Cabbage"?We've allways called it that here at my house.Hot dogs in biscuts are pigs in a blanket..so is the breakfast one(its really the same thing,if you think about it)
Nope, heck even the cookbooks I have from my great great grandmother say "Pigs in a Blanket". Heck, she still makes them and even calls them that. Man, I am craving some of them right now. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

InsaneJediGirl
05-06-2002, 08:24 PM

Nope, heck even the cookbooks I have from my great great grandmother say "Pigs in a Blanket". Heck, she still makes them and even calls them that. Man, I am craving some of them right now. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Hmm..I learn new things everyday...but then again,we call everything by a different name here where I live(the South) like
peas arent peas.Cowpeas are peas and peas are English peas:crazed: :crazed:..I wonder if that made sense... Or maybe our family is just odd..which is possible!!!

SWAFMAN
05-06-2002, 08:27 PM
what the heck is a cowpea? (or, do I really NOT want to know?) ;)

InsaneJediGirl
05-06-2002, 08:30 PM
Its just a variant of the English pea.It looks kinda like a Lima bean,only with a different color and its smaller.

JetsAndHeels
05-06-2002, 08:51 PM
JarJar, you are talking to 2 southerners here (IJG and myself). Pigs in a blanket is just something I have always known of here which is sausage wrapped in pancakes. Makes sense to me.

2-1B
05-06-2002, 10:00 PM
Quite-Long, while I do share Swaffy's disgust at your suggestion, I will admit to mixing Coke and OJ once or twice. That wasn't . . . too . . . bad . . . :dead:

Binks, cabbage should not be stuffed with anything.

Southerners, unite and defend your blanketed swine!
I've heard pigs in blankets "up here" too. It's not a prevalent term but it does bear recognition. :)

Beast
05-06-2002, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
Binks, cabbage should not be stuffed with anything.
Don't knock it til you tried it, Caesar. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
05-06-2002, 10:17 PM
Most of my wierd food combinations are already listed here: Ranch Dressing on pizza (Garlic Butter is good too, like the sauce that you get with a Papa John's pizza), syrup and bacon, milk and pepsi (think of it as more of a melted pepsi float).

When I was a kid though I remember hearing the old joke about pregnant women craving pickles and ice cream so I decided to try it to see what all the hubbub was about. Funny thing is, I don't remember it tasting like anything; it's almost like the two flavors cancelled each other out. Wierd.

QLD
05-07-2002, 10:46 AM
I'm telling you guys, it's not that bad. It sounds gross, but try it. Just a little glass. Pespsi and Milk. Mmmmmm.

2-1B
05-07-2002, 01:35 PM
Don't knock it til you tried it, Caesar. :D

See, that is just impossible because the smell of sausages stuffed with cabbage is so stomach turning that I physically would not be able to get close enough to take a bite, let alone getting sick. ;)

JEDIpartner
05-07-2002, 02:35 PM
Okay... are we talking about those large sized meatballs made with ground beef and rice wrapped up in a cabbage leaf and smothered in tomato sauce? My aunt called those "cabbage rolls". My mom's friend and everyone else calls them "stuffed cabbage". Boiled cabbage is just that- boiled cabbage. Flavourless mush!!! :dead:

2-1B
05-07-2002, 03:08 PM
J-partnr,
a friend once offered me some "trippe", a German style sausage stuffed with cabbage. He could have told me the smell was from a dead Tauntaun, I wouldn't have known the difference. :D

I like coleslaw.

DeadEye
05-07-2002, 03:39 PM
Oh man I'm ready to puke!

SWAFMAN
05-07-2002, 04:50 PM
speaking of disgusting...
anybody see fear factor last night?
coagulated cow's blood, shaped into balls and wrapped in a casing made of pig intestine, served on a plate of worms, to resemble spaghetti & meatballs.. NO ONE was able eat 5 of them in 4 minutes. the host even looked about to puke while watching the last contestant trying to choke down a mouthful of them.

y u c k ! ! ! !

QLD
05-07-2002, 05:46 PM
That is kind of nasty. I wish once they would make the host eat that stuff. He always makes fun of them for quitting.

JEDIpartner
05-07-2002, 10:02 PM
okay... that's not a weird food combination. That's just nasty!

vulcantouch
05-07-2002, 11:50 PM
creamy italian mixed 60/40 w/kimlan soy sauce is yumyum :p
don't like caviar pendo? try it with grapefruit & dark chocolate :p
ny blueberry seltzer with chicago-cherry rondos make a great icecream float, too bad they don't make either of them no more :(
and re mexican food, one should always mix red & green chile every chance one gets :)
vt
np: the schmenge brothers (john candy & eugene levy), "the cabbage rolls and coffee polka"

JetsAndHeels
05-08-2002, 12:14 AM
Joe Rogan is the man!! Fear Factor rocks, and he HAS eaten some of the bugs once when the contestants dared him to.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-10-2002, 10:03 PM
This kid I went to school with used to come in with two types of sandwiches that would just gross everyone out. He would eat a peanut butter sandwich with onions (reminds me of Elvis and his fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches) and if that wasn't gross enough, he brought in deer meat sandwiches with mayonaisse. This was like when I was in the 3rd grade.

RooJay
05-11-2002, 05:25 AM
I'm quite fond of the spaghetti sandwich. You take left-over spaghetti (it always tastes better the day after!;) Plus it gets a chance to set up quite nicely, which makes it stick together better), heat it up, then scoop it out onto a couple slices of buttered white bread, plop a slice of provolone or mozzarella on top while it's still hot to let the cheese melt, which holds the spaghetti together, and VOILA!

My cousin is a bit of an amateur gourmet chef; LOVES to make up new recipes! One day he made some pizza out of some miscellaneous ingredients he had around the house. He used chicken to top it off and spaghetti sauce in place of the pizza sauce he was missing. AMAZING! I never would've thought to try spaghetti sauce on pizza, but it adds a whole new level of flavor! The spaghetti sauce seemed to have a bit of a tang that I commented reminded me a bit of apricots. Taking that into consideration he whipped up another chicken pizza with apricots in the sauce! Mind you, I tend to be really picky about what I eat, and would normally never even think of putting fruits (a dessert item in my opinion) anywhere near my dinner foods, but I was feeling adventurous so I tried it. PURE GENIUS! If someone had come to me ahead of time with a slice of pizza and told me it had apricota in it I wouldn't even have touched it! I trust my cousin's cooking so well that I gave it a shot, and it was GREAT! Try it at home!

I'm also partial to french fries or potato chips with chocolate; kind of a spin on the classic Wendy's Frosty and fries!

kadamontaga
05-11-2002, 05:30 AM
Maple syrup on eggy bread

Peanut butter, chocolate spread and banana sarnies. yum.

Kit-kats and cheese and onion crisps (but you have to eat the kit-kat first)

yummy

RooJay
05-11-2002, 05:30 AM
Joe Rogan is the man!! Fear Factor rocks, and he HAS eaten some of the bugs once when the contestants dared him to.
I agree! I think he's wasted on that show though. He should have his own sitcom. I'd like to see a spin-off for his character from News Radio (one of the best shows on t.v. in recent years until Phil Hartman died. HIS genius is sorely missed!). By the way, I pride myself on having no fear (I'm pretty sure I have faced and conquered all the fears I know of having had), but I would never go on Fear Factor (they recently had auditions in San Fran that I almost went to) because of the stuff they make you eat. To me that's got NOTHING to do with fear; it's just DISGUSTING!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-11-2002, 09:50 PM
One time I tried peanut butter and jelly on a cheese pizza (an idea I got from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles). It was quite good actually. I havent had one since, but after reading this thread and thinking about it again I may have to make another one.

I have a TMNT food story too. During a sleepover with my friends back in the day, we got an idea from the Turtles show to put ice cream on our pizza. It was Cookies n Cream on Domino's. I think I actually heard my arteries clog after I finished it. :dead: