PDA

View Full Version : E2 Watto Figure Revealed!!

Beast
05-06-2002, 04:32 PM
Someone over in Rebelscum's forums spotted this over at Hasbro's Star Wars website. He looks really cool. Don't mind the extra wings behind him, the picture may have been taken while he was in mid flap. As I hear that he may have wing flapping action!! Guess that confirms the rumored Watto figure, now can we only hope the E1 Handmaiden rumors were true? :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
05-06-2002, 04:37 PM
The wing color looks weird, almost as if Anakin could ask if Watto (not Padme) is an angel. ;)

Looks like a pretty detailed figure otherwise. Look at his eyes - he truly has gone senile! :D

MikeAndTheBots
05-06-2002, 04:41 PM
He dressed...interestingly. I'm guessing he's really the EU "Endor-Camo Watto" right?

LTBasker
05-06-2002, 05:12 PM
Hopefully he's just gonna have 3 sets of removeable wings as there appears to be a gap between the middle and bottom wings. It would be nice if that were so if he came with a junkyard case that could be opened and we could put the spare wings into. Or maybe his wings will be like the Geonosian Warrior's and that photo was just to show off different poses for them in one.

Jargo
05-06-2002, 05:18 PM
Gone fishin' Watto. Coplete with live maggots and dead fish.

Kinda like this one. I thought the episode one Watto was one of the best of that bunch even if he is a little large but the detail is great and this new one looks just as good. Wonder when he's touted for release?

mark2d2
05-06-2002, 05:20 PM
Great. Now we're getting "DEVO Watto" before a decent R5-D4 . . .

Beast
05-06-2002, 05:25 PM
I heard Fall/Winter Jargo, can't wait for this one either. Since he's such a small charecter, and R5-D4 is seen in the scene with Watto, can we dare hope to get both? Would be nice, but I think R5-D4 will be coming out early next year. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
05-06-2002, 06:36 PM
Cool! Wonder what they will pack him with considering how small he is by himself?

Unit-01
05-06-2002, 06:36 PM
His face always turns me off. The detail looks like the E1 one. The rest is good, his arms look cool too.

Beast
05-06-2002, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Unit-01
His face always turns me off. The detail looks like the E1 one. The rest is good, his arms look cool too.
Nah, looks a lot better then the E1 version, and quite a lot more like the charecter from E2. Hopefully maybe we will get a small clear stand so he can look like he's flying/floating. Here is a picture from the movie. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Unit-01
05-06-2002, 07:12 PM
But his face is way too light. Arms look like the pic, but he needs the red on his face.

neimoidian85
05-06-2002, 07:28 PM
Watto will probably come with a pink pit droid or something.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-06-2002, 08:30 PM
Wasn't Watto originally supposed to have that dopey hat in EP1? I remember seeing some concept art of him with that hat but for some reason it seems to have been omitted from the final character image. I guess Doug Chang is recycling some stuff for this movie.

Lord Tenebrous
05-06-2002, 08:39 PM
He was, I don't know why Watto needs to wear a pit droid head in AOTC, I guess just to merit another sculpt of him.

Maybe he'll come with a fold-up pit droid - like in the first versions of the scriptment, you know...the one where he's so old he can't fly. :p

It's alright, but the Ep1 Watto is fine enough for me. There are about 50 sitting at TRU if I really wanted to customize this version.

dr_evazan22
05-06-2002, 09:50 PM
Nice pic's Jar Jar! Thanks! I always thought that Watto was one of the better characters from E1, in terms of acting, CGA, and 4" fig.

BTW, nice new avatar, and Dark Master now?

pthfnder89
05-06-2002, 10:09 PM
I always thought that Watto was honestly the true success of CGI in Ep1. He was so much more realistic than Jar Jar and he fit in very nicely. He's one of the few things in TPM that doesn't irritate me on repeated viewings :)

Jargo
05-07-2002, 06:46 AM
I always wondered with TPM why they didn't just replace Ahmed bests head with CGI and use his actual body for most of the shots. Jar Jar would have seemed less cartoony that way. Watto was realised so well. There's no way they could get a puppet to fly like that so it made sense to do him CGI. The wings look great and his bobbing motion and limp legs work well. Plus Andrew Secombe's characterisation was cool. I like the cynicism of Watto. In all the blandnes of the rest of the movie as far as flat acting goes Watto really stands out as a bright spot. Shame he's only in AOTC for a cough and a spit.

The figure in the picture is just the hardcopy so he may look a little more flesh like but I doubt he'll achieve the excellent paint applications of the episode one figure. he was the first one I bought because he just stood out among all the others. Small well painted and really detailed. I hope this new one does have the balljointed wings. I'm really impressed with the way the geonosian works but I guess we'll have to wait eh?

187-Maul
05-07-2002, 07:33 AM
man I really like this one
but I maybe won't buy him since he's not THAT different then the E-1 version
but still looks great

corporal AMF
05-07-2002, 08:15 AM
hey, he looks great...did anyone found another image from hasbro.com from this wave?:confused:

corporal AMF
05-07-2002, 08:17 AM
this is a new wave......we have no idea of a AOTC watto, so a new wave of collector-friendly figures are on the way.....maybe october-november?:sur:

JEDIpartner
05-07-2002, 09:28 AM
I like the new Watto except for the "fairy wings". I hope they change that or it is just a representation of the wings being able to move. I also hope it doesn't have a "simulated flapping action look" or a "press his head and his wings flap" feature. That would suck.

pthfnder89
05-07-2002, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
I like the new Watto except for the "fairy wings". I hope they change that or it is just a representation of the wings being able to move. I also hope it doesn't have a "simulated flapping action look" or a "press his head and his wings flap" feature. That would suck.

Maybe Toyderians grow extra wings as the age :D:p

Beast
05-07-2002, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
I always wondered with TPM why they didn't just replace Ahmed bests head with CGI and use his actual body for most of the shots. Jar Jar would have seemed less cartoony that way.
Check out the supplementary disc for the Episode 1 DVD. in the hour long documentary they show that that was the original plan, but they found it would be cost effective to go with the full charecter being CGI, with some shots being Ahmed in the suit. Jar Jar was meant to be slightly cartoony, but he is photo realistic when compared to human charecters in the movie. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
05-07-2002, 12:29 PM
I only spotted two shots using Ahmed, one in Watto's shop where he juggles with the loose parts and the other is when he gets his hand caught in the pod engine. Any others? I can't check out the DVD as I don't yet have a player for it. I'll probably have all the DVD's before I actually get one too which is a bit mad but it's got to be done that way owing to a contract with the TV rental people we get our TV from. Stupidly we didn't read the smallprint and hired a TV without the capability to accept a DVD player. Can't exchange the TV or change the deal for a given period so.....
When i said cartoony I guess what i really meant was that JJB has no weight. he never really connects with any surface always floating just above the surface slightly. Like gravity doesn't affect him. Using Ahmeds solid physical form would have given JJB the gravity to make him seem more real. :)

2-1B
05-07-2002, 02:06 PM
I never noticed the juggling shot as being "real", I'll have to take another look. But you're right about the hand-getting-stuck shot, I noticed that very early in the film's life. :)

Jargo, I don't know anything about your TV, but here's a thought . . . when I first bought a DVD player 3 years ago, I could not hook it up to my TV directly. It was an older model that had no AV hook ups and of course no S-video connection. However, I got around it by hooking the DVD palyer into my VCR's AV hookups, so if I had my VCR set to "channel" Line 1 I could play the DVDs thru it.

However, I did notice that every so often there was a slight color twinge that I soon adjusted to. I believe it's because those DVDs are so copy proof (I'm not talking about burning them but rather copying with a VCR) that the color tweak was actually a very subtle scramble. But like I said, it was not too noticeable and I could enjoy my DVDs. Since then I hooked it up to a TV with the proper hook ups. :)

Beast
05-07-2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
However, I did notice that every so often there was a slight color twinge that I soon adjusted to. I believe it's because those DVDs are so copy proof (I'm not talking about burning them but rather copying with a VCR) that the color tweak was actually a very subtle scramble. But like I said, it was not too noticeable and I could enjoy my DVDs. Since then I hooked it up to a TV with the proper hook ups. :)
It's more then a minor color twinge now though, Caesar. The new copy guard protection actually causes the picture to flash light and dark. Not every DVD has it, but most do. So now it's almost impossible to run it thru a VCR and get a decent picture. Really sucks for setting up a home theater, that way. Jargo, maybe consider getting another smaller TV that's not hooked up to the cable system, to run a DVD player on? The E2 second disc, and the Audio commentary is well worth it. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
05-07-2002, 02:28 PM
How about an RF Modulator box? Neither of my televisions... even my newest one (last year) has S-Video inputs. I have an RF box running from the DVD player into the Television sets. I got one at the local Radio Shack for about $30.00 USD

2-1B
05-07-2002, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
It's more then a minor color twinge now though, Caesar. The new copy guard protection actually causes the picture to flash light and dark. Not every DVD has it, but most do. So now it's almost impossible to run it thru a VCR and get a decent picture.

Can you think of any examples? A friend is still running his DVD player this way, and he has had no problems with any new discs (and he has quite a few). I think the VCR has something to do with it too. It's been impossible for me to copy any tapes but his same VCR has been helpful in dubbing many prerecorded tapes. Weird. :)

J-partnr, how does that RF box go into your DVD player? AV cables? I'm guessing the other end is a coaxial connection, I'm curious . . .

Jargo
05-07-2002, 05:46 PM
My brother says that the X BOX will play them but I don't think my TV accepts that either. A really poo deal I got with it. It's a great TV too. 32 inch and fantastic sound from just the two speakers. it's using that technology that some PC sound cards use that mimics the way we hear to provide surround sound. I was sceptical about that until My dog started to go looking round the room for the cats in an advert. If the dog is fooled then it must be good. Anyway. to be honest I don't really want to start hooking up more machines to attach to other machines to attach to the TV just to watch a single disk. That seems like more hassle than it's worth the effort for. It's something I just have to be patient about and sit out the crap deal until I can upgrade. It'll make the viewing more pleasurable in the end. What's todays high end technology will be low end by the time I get round to getting it, but it'll still be high end to me having never had it in the first place. :)