PDA

View Full Version : Celebration II AKA The great Jorg Sacul DEBACLE

DaneSolo
05-06-2002, 08:06 PM
:mad:
The force.net has been posting horror stories from fans who attended Celebration II and tried to get the "EXCLUDIVE" Jorg Sacul figure. I couldn't attend and obviously knew I wouldn't be involved in any way with this debacle but, as a collector, I'm disgusted at these scumbags who ruin it for everyone. The figure was supposed to be limited to 2 per person BUT the stories were of "people" whording lots of them only to post them on EVILBAY. So, out of curiosity I checked to see what kinda mess was going on:
One loser, @#%$^&(% SCUMBAG had 3 figures posted for $100 each.
Another loser, $#^*%#%$ SCUMBAG--ID'd as
ufosrocktwo had 5 listed @ $99 each.
When I did a search for the figure I found 460 of them listed on EVILBAY already!!! These scumbags give collecting and collectors a bad name. When Ewan McGregor says he hates the 30 something year-old GEEKS coming up for autographs HE'S ABSOLUTELY RIGHT--THESE PEOPLE ARE LOSERS!!!
BUT it's NOT just their fault--Lucas and Hasbro share the blame for putting out the figure, KNOWING it would be HIGHLY DEMANDED then NOT enforcing their own policies. HASBRO I hope you see this and realize how disgraceful your company is--GREEDY--and how you are alienating many fans.
AND fans that feel similar should vent here

RooJay
05-06-2002, 08:16 PM
Did Hasbro really have that much at all to do with Celebration 2? I too am a bit upset at not having had the oppotunity to buy one of these figures, but I'm not even sure Hasbro had a lot to do with how they were distributed at the event. That failing is probably much more the fault of the event's organizers. I think this forum might be the wrong place for this thread.
By the way, I also don't think that my wanting Ewan McGregor's autograph makes me a loser. I think it just makes me a fan. Of course, I'd probably be more likely to have him autograph my script or something like that!

Taichi
05-06-2002, 08:46 PM
The convention was put on by a company known as Andon, Andon is owned by Wizards of the Coast, which is owned by Hasbro.....

so yes, they had DIRECT control over the celebration......

DarthBrandon
05-06-2002, 09:14 PM
Dear Dane Solo,

I agree with ya 100% Hasbro is Def responsible for this fiasco.

I live in Canada with my Son who's name is Brandon my username
Which you really didn't need to know that but I thought I'd mention it any way.

We couldn't make it to Celebration II even if I was a zillionare,
so for Hasbro to offer this figure at an event that had maybe
25,000 people(what i heard not 100%sure bigB)and limited to 2
per person (yeah right) is ridiculous. Does Hasbro even Know the number of people (collectors) worldwide that they offended ?
I think not and I'm for dam sure not going to buy Jorg Sacul for 100 dollars American or Canadian from the EVILBAYERS out there.
Anyways I wish someone could reach Hasbro and set them straight. Hope I didn't offend any Hasbro Lovers.

dr_evazan22
05-06-2002, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Taichi
The convention was put on by a company known as Andon, Andon is owned by Wizards of the Coast, which is owned by Hasbro.....

so yes, they had DIRECT control over the celebration......

Let's not forget that Jorj Sacul himself is a part owner of Hasbro, helping to finance his movies.

DaneSolo
05-06-2002, 11:04 PM
To clear things up for those who don't know:
It all starts and ends with GEORGE LUCAS. Methodically he has consolidated his Empire alienating fans everywhere. Lucas is a MAJOR shareholder in Hasbro. Hasbro owns Wizards of the Coast. Wizards of the Coast organized Celebration II, not to mention publishes "Insider" and now makes the card game--a license they picked up from Decipher not because Decipher did poorly (which alienated all those fans that spent hundreds of dollars on useless cards now)but because Lucas can now earn more money. It's all connected and ultimately Lucas is responsible for everything to do with Star Wars despite his claims to the contrary. He makes all the decisions, takes all the credit for its success, makes billions of dollars denies any fault (yes he has them!) and basks in his own huge ego.
In "Revealed With Jules Asner" Ewan mentioned how he hates adults who come up to get his autograph and then sell it on Ebay. He didn't call them losers (that's my opinion) BUT that's essentially what he meant. In case you don't believe me its going to air again so you can see for yourself.

RooJay
05-06-2002, 11:42 PM
First up, where did you guys get your facts? I'd like to verify them for myself. While it may be true that Hasbro owns the company that is ultimately resonsible for C2 (which by the way I am upset about also, and was ALSO not capable of attending!) that, in no way, means that they had much of a hand, OR much control over the event. The corporate world just doesn't work like that all the time. I will, however, not deny the possibility that they might have been in control. I'd just like to know which proof you have.

Also, you're right DS, George Lucas IS "responsible for everything to do with Star Wars", and he DOES make "all the decisions" and "takes all the credit for its success". As the creator and "owner" of Star Wars and all related properties this is his singular right. You are suggesting perhaps that someone else should be taking credit for this?

I've also decided that since I would never sell any celebrity autographs I might have the luck to procure, that your VERY potentially insulting, and poorly considered comments on the subject weren't aimed at fans like me. I also don't think Mr. McGregor meant what you think he meant about all fans that ask for his autograph. By the way, I DID see the interview you mention, and my take is a bit different.

JediTricks
05-07-2002, 12:42 AM
Lucas is a very minor shareholder in Hasbro, somewhere under 5% IIRC.

Hasbro does have a firm grip on WOTC, who runs our official Fan Club and the Cel 2 - that's what I've heard from folks inside - WOTC is like Kenner division used to be at the end, just another division under Hasbro management that gets a lot of hands-on attention in the SW department from corporate entities.

DarthBrandon
05-07-2002, 12:45 AM
Dear Roojay,

I don't think he (Dane Solo) meant they all were loser's. What I think he was trying to say that the guys who get autographs to sell on evilbay are losers not fans who want them for their kids or themselves. Just the ones who want to turn a profit out of them.

RooJay
05-07-2002, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Lucas is a very minor shareholder in Hasbro, somewhere under 5% IIRC.
Thanks for the clarification!

Hasbro does have a firm grip on WOTC, who runs our official Fan Club and the Cel 2 - that's what I've heard from folks inside - WOTC is like Kenner division used to be at the end, just another division under Hasbro management that gets a lot of hands-on attention in the SW department from corporate entities.
...and I stand corrected in this case. Thanks for clarification of that fact also. Now that I'm informed on the matter I feel I can join in in saying "Stupid Hasbro!". :D

RooJay
05-07-2002, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by brandon
Dear Roojay,

I don't think he (Dane Solo) meant they all were loser's. What I think he was trying to say that the guys who get autographs to sell on evilbay are losers not fans who want them for their kids or themselves. Just the ones who want to turn a profit out of them.
Thank you. Which is why I said that I'd decided not to take offense to the comment, as I am NOT one of those people.

In fact, here's what I said:

Originally posted by RooJay I've also decided that since I would never sell any celebrity autographs I might have the luck to procure, that your VERY potentially insulting, and poorly considered comments on the subject weren't aimed at fans like me.

Wolfwood319
05-07-2002, 01:11 AM
Here's my now common response to all those upset over this:

Chill out!
If you feel that strongly about it, here's what you should do; never buy anything ever again with the words "Star" and "Wars" on them. Don't go see AOTC or Episode 3 when it comes out. Don't buy any new DVDs, books, action figures, comics, CDs, etc. Quit complaining and just stop caring.

They made a lot more than 460 Jorg Sacul figures. Most of the people who purchased a Jorg Sacul figure at C2 were in fact fans, and that particular piece is probably in their collection right now.

To blame eBay is to blame the people who buy off there. If someone is willing to spend $100 on a Jorg Sacul figure, that's their business. In the long run it would be cheaper to pay $100 on eBay then to have gone to C2 to get one, when you think about it. The Jorg Sacul figure was an EXCLUSIVE to atendees at Celebration 2. It wasn't supposed to be largely available to everyone, only those who go to C2. People selling them on eBay was inevitable though and to think otherwise is very naive.

RooJay
05-07-2002, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
Here's my now common response to all those upset over this:

Chill out!
If you feel that strongly about it, here's what you should do; never buy anything ever again with the words "Star" and "Wars" on them. Don't go see AOTC or Episode 3 when it comes out. Don't buy any new DVDs, books, action figures, comics, CDs, etc. Quit complaining and just stop caring.

Once again Wolfwood, I have to agree with you on that one!

To blame eBay is to blame the people who buy off there. If someone is willing to spend $100 on a Jorg Sacul figure, that's their business. In the long run it would be cheaper to pay $100 on eBay then to have gone to C2 to get one, when you think about it.

Ditto on the Ebay thing too! If you don't want it for the Ebay price, then don't buy it at that price. Ebay and it's sellers are hardly to blame for any of this. Although personally, I would've gone to C2 just for the fun of going, and not for any exclusive figure! In that case, any figure I ended up with would've only cost me the $10 it was offered for, and any other expenses I'd incurred would've been just for the fun of having gone to the event.;)

DarthBrandon
05-07-2002, 01:38 AM
I thought we were talking about autographs for a sec. My bad

Anyho, I do sort of agree with Wolfwood on the matter of Jorg
Sacul figures but honestly if mostly fans bought these there are
an awful lot of them on Ebay.
P.S. not all on ebay are Evil, just a portion of them.(Dishonest)

2-1B
05-07-2002, 04:12 AM
I'd be ****ed too if someone was getting my signature just to cash in. :mad: Mark Hamill said the same thing once, he talked about how he didn't mind signing things but eventually there were too many people with arms full of stuff that it was obvious they were gonna scalp them.

I don't care about the Jorg Sacul (and I'm really tired of typing that stupid name :p ) other than it is disgusting that people who went could not get one. TF Vader was different since they opened it to the general public without gauging demand.

I can't wait to see the movie so we can forget about ol' Jorg. :D

DarthBrandon
05-07-2002, 04:29 AM
I hear yah Caesar, Couldn't agree with you more

Rogue II
05-07-2002, 08:16 AM
Hail Caesar!

I wish everyone would quit whining about that stupid piece of plastic.

icatch9
05-07-2002, 09:30 AM
Money is what makes the world go around. Do you really think that Hasbro or GL cares if they tick off some people here or there? Do you really think that your two cents is going to break him or the franchise? Not a chance. People will continue to buy his stuff for many many years. If people want the JS figure, then they will have to pay a premium for it. It's that simple, not even Darth Vader could get one without paying for it. In fact most people don't even mind having to buy it from the ebay. There is just no other way to get it. It may not be fair, but it's the truth. Dealing with that is the first step to accepting things. I'd bet those who could care less about action figures or toys are selling most of the items on ebay. They are more than likely Star Wars fans, but don't care about toys. They could give 2****s about any collector who didn't get a figure. It would be no different then giving some guy on the street $50.00 just because. That's not going to happen, and neither is anyone getting a JS figure from the Fan Club. I think your time would be better spent recycling cans for money so you can save up to buy a JS figure than it is complaining to a company who has said they will NOT be selling JS anywhere else ever again.

If you donít like it, then take WolfWoods advice.

InsaneJediGirl
05-07-2002, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Rogue II
I wish everyone would quit whining about that stupid piece of plastic.

I couldn't agree more Rouge II.Its just a Jek Porkins with a new head.So some scaplers got to the figures,if someone wants to pay that much for them,let them.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

icatch9
05-07-2002, 11:21 AM
ISG: I think you mean a Biggs Darklighter, but actually it's a Cenema Sceene Wedge body. Hey Don't forget about the X Wing pack in you get. Same one you could get at TRU several months ago for $0.33.

It's not much more than a re-hash, but there isn't much you can do to an X Wing Pilot. They sort of pefected that one with the Wedge figure. Besides they knew people would go nuts for it, so they didn't need to do anything to special. I mean they could have put the Beefed Up Luke Everyone hates in a new package and people would still have bought them all. IT's not so much about the figure as it is about the rareity and populartiy of such a thing.

DaneSolo
05-07-2002, 12:02 PM
Just to put a cap on my rant about these topics:
I agree with much of what everyone is saying.
1- No one person or entity is to blame
2- Not all fans are losers--just those that try to make a buck
3- I'm not gonna buy the figure, I'm just ****ed that many bad apples are making what's supposed to be fun a rather ugly, little episode
4- Lucas IS a genius and a great filmmaker BUT he is ultimately responsible for many of these EXCLUDIVES that alienate many collectors. After all this is a symbiotic relationship--he can't exist without US the fans. We're the ones who, through our dedication, pay for the films to be made. Simply put, that is my point.

RooJay
05-07-2002, 04:41 PM
For a lot of us who didn't get one, it really ISN"T about the rarity or value of the figure; I just want the figure. Just one. Loose even. Could care less how much money the thing is worth. To me he's worth the ten dollars I'm willing to pay for him and not a cent more.
It is also true, as some have pointed out, that almost all of the figures that had been previously "exclusive" showed up somewhere else along the way, giving many more people a second shot at them. About ALL of those "exclusives", it was said that they would never be available anywhere else, ever again. It's even odds for this figure to show up again.

But ANYWAY...Jorg WHO? Saca-whoziwhatsis? I don't see any $10 figures like that. Must not exist!;)

DarthBrandon
05-07-2002, 04:58 PM
Agreed Roojay,
I just wanted one figure that's it and like you said exclusives come
out again all the time so maybe we'll get lucky.
Also maybe Hasbro is testing the popularity of this figure first before they even think to put it out again.
Possible or not , what do you think ?

Rogue II
05-07-2002, 05:34 PM
Exactly, ISG. For the record, I don't see why anyone should get upset, let alone quit collecting Star Wars, for a figure made of spare and leftover parts. I have 2 questions.

If everyone had one of these things, would it still be an exclusive?

By the way, was there a exclusive figure for Celebration I?

DarthBrandon
05-07-2002, 05:46 PM
Don't know good question though Rogue II

RooJay
05-07-2002, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by brandon
Agreed Roojay,
I just wanted one figure that's it and like you said exclusives come
out again all the time so maybe we'll get lucky.
Also maybe Hasbro is testing the popularity of this figure first before they even think to put it out again.
Possible or not , what do you think ?
It's possible. Fans have always been asking for a George Lucas figure, but Hasbro has always said that they would never make one because it wouldn't sell enough, but yet they go ahead and make one which they then offer in a way that they know will exclude alot of people, but that keeps their costs down while at the same time could conceivably be used to gauge collector interest. Which brings me to another point. All I really want is a Lucas head sculpt. I could are less what it's exclusive to, what packaging it's in, or even what body it's on. When I envisioned the George Lucas figure I wanted I never considered it as an X-Wing pilot! The GL figure I've always wanted would've come in Jedi robes or in the trademark flanel! Maybe Hasbro will take the demand for this figure into consideration, and will pop the head onto a Mace Windu or Obi Wan body, and offer it through the Fanclub or as another generic Jedi for our Arena playsets through the regular Saga line! We should all hope so!:happy:

By the way, if anyone wants to make a QUALITY, useable casting of their C2 figures head I might be interested in purchasing it for the $10 the figure orginally went for. It'd have to look like the original though; in design AND quality. I know it's illegal, but I'll never tell!

Beast
05-07-2002, 05:59 PM
Roojay, you just gave me a vision of what the real George Lucas Star Wars figure should look like. He would of course be in Jedi robes, but they would be all made out of flannel. And he could come with a Rick McCallum Protocal Droid pack-in. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DarthBrandon
05-07-2002, 06:00 PM
Sounds cool to me Roojay, maybe i custom card also to put with your collection

RooJay
05-07-2002, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Roojay, you just gave me a vision of what the real George Lucas Star Wars figure should look like. He would of course be in Jedi robes, but they would be all made out of flannel. And he could come with a Rick McCallum Protocal Droid pack-in. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
LOL! PERFECT!

By the way, who is the "ISG" that everyone has been responding to? Did the original post get deleted?