PDA

View Full Version : New Bespin Luke

LTBasker
05-07-2002, 02:35 AM
I found the new Bespin Luke today and since it had a not very mint card I decided it wouldn't go well for my carded collection so I opened it up.

I didn't expect very much from this figure, and alot of the problems with it that I found out from the pictures and stuff stayed there plus a few more problems arose.

Poseability - Not very good, even with the extra articulation it is still limited in posing due to the way the arms and feet are posistioned that the articulation can't help them out of.

Playability - Not really a whole lot of playability... The gimmick I guess was supposed to add that to the figure, but the magnets are weak so that unless you want your "slashes" to be in slow-motion, the removeable hand will go flying. Basically the funnest thing to do with it is just find multiple ways to pose it on the weather vane.

Accessories - Some of these accessories are actually let downs... The blaster's holster is actually quite small while the blaster is pretty thick so you have to really push the blaster in to get it to fully get in there, but it actually doesn't look quite right due the size of the holster, and I wouldn't reccomend taking the blaster in and out alot, the paint could rub off from the tightness of the holster.

The lightsaber is kinda cool as it is made of metal, but it too was sort of a let down. It doesn't really have any unique detail to it, it's basically just a pipe with a black handled bottom. The POTF2 Luke saber's are actually way more detailed... The green lightsaber that came with HD Ani and Dooku that is supposed to be "generic" is also much more detailed.

The bacta tourniquet (sp?) is a neat accessory, except for the fact that you can't really put him in a laying-down-in-the-Falcon-scene-pose because of his pre-posing and his face - It makes it look like Leia put salt in it before putting it on Luke.

The weather vane - This is best thing about the figure, the suction cup has two places to plug into on the vane itself and it is detailed to look like part of the vane, unfortunetly while it is a good suction cup, it doesn't stay for very long. 'Course I haven't tried licking it before putting it on, I know that usually helps suction cups stay better. The vane itself is quite detailed and pretty accurate not too mention big, just displaying it alone is pretty cool.

The gimmicks - Both gimmicks are pretty bad... The saber slashing can't be done too much due to the weakness of the magnet because it isn't very strong so the removeable hand will go flying if you try slashing it too hard or too much. The magnet in Luke's hand is embedded inside and I didn't really notice it working too well for any "force pull" thing but I don't know if it was meant for that or not, either way though, it is not powerful enough to keep it on during the gimmick slash. It is a little stronger than Anakin's magnet, but then again that could be due to that fact that it's just a hand it's holding up, not half an arm.

Detail - The detail on the figure is actually quite good, the "dirty" features of it (dirty as in dirt-y. :D) are very nice, and they even painted it red around the magnet on his arm so it looks like it really was severed. The face is also nicely done, and no buckteeth. :happy:

Sculpt - It's not a bad sculpt, the only problems with the sculpting is the pre-posing of the feet and arms with the lack of articulation to just be able to posistion them like that ourselves.

Overall: 3/5 - The weather vane helped a point. :D

2-1B
05-07-2002, 04:50 AM
Thanks for the in depth review. :)
I won't decide for sure if I'm getting it until I see it on the pegs, but my guess is that I'll pick it up to keep carded. I want to save a few figs from each of the 5 movies on Saga cards, he might be a good candidate.

jblodgett
05-07-2002, 09:34 AM
Is it possible for Luke to hold his saber in both hands? Or is he limited to one hand?

Personally, from the limited access I have had to the figure (only seen it online) I think he is TOO dirty.

187-Maul
05-07-2002, 10:39 AM
thanx for the review
with the "two suction cup places" do you mean one at the top and one at the back of the vane so you can actually let it stick from the ceiling?

LTBasker
05-07-2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by jblodgett
Is it possible for Luke to hold his saber in both hands? Or is he limited to one hand?

If you work with it a little you can get him to hold his lightsaber with 2 hands and he can actually be posed to hold to the left or the right instead of just one way of holding it with two hands. Unfortunately there aren't alot of 2 handed saber hold poses you can put him in.

Originally posted by 187-Maul
with the "two suction cup places" do you mean one at the top and one at the back of the vane so you can actually let it stick from the ceiling?

Yeah, although it doesn't really stick to non-slick surfaces so you'd probably have to put something like a small tile piece on the cieling if you wanted it to stay there, but if you wanted it to stay there for a long time you'd probably have to glue it.

Actually I'm thinking about trying to put poster handi-tak in the suction cup and then hang it from the cieling, possibly it would hold, that tak stuff connects pretty well just about any surface so hopefully it'll also work on the suction cup, 'course if it doesn't I guess there is also putting tape over the ends of the cup. The connection between the cup and the vane itself is pretty good so it shouldn't let go.

187-Maul
05-08-2002, 02:02 PM
thanx for the answer but I have another question
how long is the vane with suction cup if you hang it from the ceiling (in cm) ?I hope not longer then 26 cm

Rogue II
05-11-2002, 05:36 PM
The vane is about 19 cm long.

187-Maul
05-12-2002, 06:26 AM
thanx

2-1B
05-12-2002, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
Thanks for the in depth review. :)
I won't decide for sure if I'm getting it until I see it on the pegs, but my guess is that I'll pick it up to keep carded. I want to save a few figs from each of the 5 movies on Saga cards, he might be a good candidate.

I went ahead and bought him when I found it, I decided he's staying on card.
I do like the fact that you can display the weather vane in 2 ways, it looks like the suction cup removes and inserts in the back of the piece as well. :)