PDA

View Full Version : I asked Hasbro about the Reek's uh.... button???

Tycho
05-07-2002, 05:11 PM
OK, let's keep the thread clean, but the answer is legitimate news to report, in spite of how funny this thread will easily become, LOL!

A week ago or so, we had to close the thread "Why does Hasbro want us to push the Reek's Wee-Wee?"

It got a little raunchy, and we have kids coming to this site. Keep that in mind. LOL - I'm trying to too. But who knows if even I get censored for this one... :rolleyes:

But any kid I know of would take a look at the red, swollen, bulge between the monster's rear legs that we have to push to make the animal go into bucking spasms, and come to the same conclusions we all did with regards to this. Hey, it's the immature kid in me that makes me want to yell this "foul" out over here!

Heh-heh-heh - You better believe I asked Hasbro about this in a room with over 70 people!

But I put it even more delicately -

And they were laughing too!

NOW:

The legitimate answer to the question you all wanted to know -

1) More important than who could be Anakin's father?

2) More relevant than will AOTC beat Spiderman at the box office?

3) And more philosophically challenging than "What is the meaning of life?"

SirStevesGuide's Tycho asks Hasbro:

WHY DO YOU WANT US TO PUSH THE REEK'S WEE-WEE?!!!

oooh -that's so disgusting!

AND THE ANSWER IS:

The sculpt was exactly perfect, according to what they were going for.

Placing the button on a side position would have interfeared with the design the sculptor created for the animal.

Since the action feature is a rising up and bucking motion, placing the button on the creature's back would defeat the purpose: you'd be pressing down while the creature was supposed to be bucking up.

So that left the underbelly in a location that the designers could best hide the feature in the sculpt and in such a position that this part of the beast stays put, relative to the ground. The front end, as you're well aware, has to rise up. And Hasbro wanted the button legitimatley hidden so the animal looks real, rather than like a toy.

So that is the answer.

Though it still begs the question: "well what about a tail switch?"

Also the action feature doesn't work that well, because you still have to hold the Reek down to push the button. Pushing up on the Reek's wee-wee, without using your other hand, will undoubtedly cause the Reek to come up unnaturally - and too prematurely. *Grin*

I'm not sure you can gain satisfaction with this action feature unless you use both hands. :D

Beast
05-07-2002, 05:16 PM
Tycho, I can't believe you asked that and the sniffing the mouse droid question in front of people. Dude, you seriously need some help. I think the people here on the forums that care about you should hold an intervention. :D

But I'm glad Hasbro answered your question, and it's the same thing that I and quite a few others told you. It was to hide the button in the best place. It just happened to be there. :crazed:

Oh, did anyone ask any questions about Yarna D'al Gargan or R5-D4, or any of the other figures that most of the people here in the forums have been having seizures, waiting for. :D

Oh, just got Captain Typho in the mail today, and I have officially dubbed him Captain Tycho. He's standing next to my Mouse Droid and my newly aquired Reek. :evil:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
05-07-2002, 05:19 PM
I am able to use this feature with one hand.
I hold the Reek by the tail and then reach around with my forefinger to push the button. Then he's still able to buck up and down while it attacks my figures.

LTBasker
05-07-2002, 05:24 PM
So um... why couldn't they have put a button on one of the legs that blended in with the rest of the leg and you would just push it inward?... It wouldn't take away from the sculpt, and you wouldn't have to hold the Reek (I guess) you would just hold it by the legs like: ( ) and press the button inward with a finer then that wouldn't hold it down so the feature could work better than it probably does with it having it's under-belly have the button.

Stupid perverted Hasbro.

Rogue II
05-07-2002, 05:31 PM
This may be wrong to ask, but I'll do it anyway. Tycho, have you tried sniffing the Reek's button?

Dar' Argol
05-07-2002, 05:32 PM
Tycho, *tsk, tsk, tsk*, That is REALLY getting borderline :rolleyes:. I just encourage everyone to remain, *sigh* somewhat un-perverted, please:(. That's all I ask. Its not much.
And Rouge II, yeah that was really wrong to ask. Try to refrain from that type of questioning please.

Beast
05-07-2002, 05:33 PM
Basker, the button has to go on the main body section, or you end up with an unposeable statue. It also has to be located somewhere straight back from the parts of the body that it moves. It's just not gonna work anywhere else, it's in the best place possible for to not hurt the sculpt. Trying to put it on the legs, would just make the action feature harder to make, and less reliable. Besides, like was brought up before, the same button placement was used on some of the Jurassic Park dinos. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rogue II
05-07-2002, 05:39 PM
I apologize withdraw my previous question. I have to run over to Target now and pick up a Captain Tycho.

LTBasker
05-07-2002, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Besides, like was brought up before, the same button placement was used on some of the Jurassic Park dinos. :)

I don't have any of the bigger Lost World dinos or the JP/// dinos but I got alot of the JP1 dinos and I only had one that had something like that which was this Raptor they released that they made the size of the T-Rex and it had rubber skin for "real feel" so they kinda had to make it like that.

I thought unreliable was Hasbro's hidden first name? :D

Lord Malakite
05-07-2002, 05:54 PM
You asked them that! :eek:

Why Tycho? Why? Why are you so different? Why must you stand out in a crowd of strangers and make yourself appear to be a total nut job? :crazed: :confused:

Someone, please call the Insane Asylum. Tycho needs some serious help. :cry:

Dar' Argol
05-07-2002, 05:58 PM
Lord_Malakite, you have returned my Master! What is thy bidding?

Beast
05-07-2002, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Lord_Malakite
Why Tycho? Why? Why are you so different? Why must you stand out in a crowd of strangers and make yourself appear to be a total nut job? :crazed: :confused:
I think it's cool, though scary that he actually got up and had the guts to ask these questions with people around. Only other thing that I wanna know is, did Tycho ask these questions while wearing a Sir Steve's Guide T-Shirt? :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lord Malakite
05-07-2002, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Dar' Argol
Lord_Malakite, you have returned my Master! What is thy bidding?

You are to make Tycho sane before the next blue moon.

nixxer
05-07-2002, 06:05 PM
I guess I'll have to run out and buy one now so I can see what all the fuss is about...

DarthMaulSithLord
05-07-2002, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker

I don't have any of the bigger Lost World dinos or the JP/// dinos but I got alot of the JP1 dinos and I only had one that had something like that which was this Raptor they released that they made the size of the T-Rex and it had rubber skin for "real feel" so they kinda had to make it like that.

I thought unreliable was Hasbro's hidden first name? :D

All the Jurassic Park Electronic Dinosaur toys have battery covers in the wee wee area.

:happy:

Beast
05-07-2002, 06:20 PM
Just like Jargo (I believe) mentioned in the last Tycho inpired Reek Wee-Wee thread, everytime I read those words, I can't help remembering that Episode of Rocko's Modern Life. I'm starting to think the people upstairs believe me to be insane, I laugh so hard reading these forums sometines. :D

"Wee Wee" :crazed:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
05-07-2002, 06:32 PM

OK -

1) It's totally hilarious

2) I DO have the guts - never put it past me.

3) Hasbro does know exactly who I am (though I asked Friday and wore my SSG Staff shirt on Saturday).

4) It is a crowd of strangers...and the anonymity of the internet, but it's still funny, and I still have the guts to do it in person and take responsibility for my actions. I AM a total nut when it will be fun for the rest of you. And boy did that question break up some of the doldrums of the complaints about this figure or that one, exclusives, and the whining for new ships and never-before-made action figures!

5) I did ask the question tactfully. I did not say the word "wee-wee," and respected the fact that there were children in the audience, and professionals at the table. I mentioned that I'd noticed the action feature on the Reek monster figure was triggered by a remote button that was questionably located and interestingly sculpted, and pressing it made the creature go into a bucking action. *snickers from everyone in the room, including Hasbro* I asked them to address that and told them that a post on the site had gone into pages of responses for that thread - so people wanted to know. They laughed but were ultimately surprised by the question coming at them at this convention. However, they had explored this amongst their own staff already, so I was by far not the first to ask - only the first amongst the fans they've heard from.

6) I got (I think) 11 of my most important questions answered, and I sensed they trusted me to ask intelligent questions. So I tactfully inserted the 2 funny ones in amongst those, and used them for laughs when the situation was growing more tense. I was not asking my questions all in a row, one after the other, so there was some arguing about the merits of pre-posed figures and action features going on. A little levity from mouse droid sniffing to playing with the Reek's wee-wee came at times when it might have been useful to keep some positive energy alive in the room. That and the laughter brought out by the questions, or the people laughing AT me and my nerve, pleased me - just for the sake of hearing everyone being happy. - even if it's at my own expense, this time.

Now that you know the stupid questions, I am looking for a venue to post the answers to my other more serious questions. Probably try the Convention Poll for these. I think more people will want to see those Q & A's than those of you who are amused by my pre-maturing Freudian states.

Dar' Argol
05-07-2002, 06:41 PM
You are to make Tycho sane before the next blue moon.

Couldn't you have picked something easier?!?!?!? Like "Smack some sense into Tycho!", (I would have liked to do that one), or "Replace his Mouse Droid with a He-Man Orko figure!", but "Make him sane"!!!!!! It would be easier to make Luke fall madly in love with Leia!!:rolleyes:.

eliwankenobi
05-07-2002, 06:52 PM
I didn't know peops were actually buying these things - much less playing with them. This is the first AOTC toy I see gathering dust in many of my local stores.

Forhekset
05-07-2002, 07:00 PM
Yeah, 3 things are piling up badly in my area - the deluxe figs, the Reek, and all the vehicles. (not counting the various basic figure pegwarmers)

DeadEye
05-07-2002, 07:07 PM
Let me clear something up for you people. The reek is a reptile, (as are dinos like in JP). Reptiles don't have "wee wees". At the base of the tail is a hole called the cloaca, through which urine, sperm, and feces exit. The "wee wee" shaped object is between the legs on many reptiles. It is called the pubic bone, and in fact is used as a sitting pad.

Beast
05-07-2002, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by DeadEye
Let me clear something up for you people. The reek is a reptile, (as are dinos like in JP). Reptiles don't have "wee wees". At the base of the tail is a hole called the cloaca, through which urine, sperm, and feces exit. The "wee wee" shaped object is between the legs on many reptiles. It is called the pubic bone, and in fact is used as a sitting pad.
Exactly DeadEye, you said it so much better then I could. Guys, go pick up a lizard at your local pet store, and you will see the exact same bump between the legs. I mean seriously, what's next? Someone gonna start making comments about the center leg on the Astromech figures....oh wait, people already have been. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DeadEye
05-07-2002, 07:26 PM
Hahahaha!!! Thanks, Jar Jar. At some of these threads the mods need to make it play the Scarecrow from The Wizard of Oz singing, "If I only had a brain." No offense. :D :p :rolleyes: :cool: :)

Tycho
05-07-2002, 07:27 PM
This thread is not intended for people to start to go abusing animals, or at the very least, PetsMart employees. :rolleyes:

Thank you all for that fascinating biology lesson. But I might point out that kids buying these won't have that professor emeritous background, and it will be back to the Reek's wee-wee all over again! :D

Jason B
05-07-2002, 07:36 PM
you know Dar, i dont mean to start an arguement, but your location has what can some can consider "Offensive material" in it. just thought that i'd point it out. no offense meant.

Dar' Argol
05-07-2002, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Jason B
you know Dar, i dont mean to start an arguement, but your location has what can some can consider "Offensive material" in it. just thought that i'd point it out. no offense meant.

You know what Jason, It never occured to me. Thanx for pointing it out. I will have to rectifiy that immediately.

Now, to come up with something else witty and funny. . . . . . . .

2-1B
05-07-2002, 08:47 PM
Deadeye and Binksy, I agree with Tycho that your biology lesson is fascinating, but what happens if I push a real lizard's pubic bone?
Well?

Perhaps Hasbro could sing along with the Scarecrow because the fact is that we have to push a bulge between the animal's legs to make its gimmick work. It's obviously not a "wee wee", but a very general view of animals would lead to that perception.
How does noticing that make us into fools? I for one am not offended by the feature, and I do think it is funny.
But for two threads now, I've only seen people have a laugh at the obvious while others get defensive of Hasbro. "It's no big deal" was the prevalent stance, and as a "Reek wee wee noticer" I agree that it is not a big deal. But our humorous views of this toy seem to be met with serious and critical refutations from a scientific point. Why?
It's not like we're seriously bashing Hasbro for being perverted, we're just finding the humor in the matter.

Jason B
05-07-2002, 09:34 PM
i agree, it is a hilarious thread, and noone should take offense to it.

Beast
05-07-2002, 09:48 PM
I'm really just joking here guys, but it's funny that there was no panic attack over the Jurassic Park Dinos that were the same way. And I for one wasn't calling anyone a fool, I just find it pretty funny that we are discussing the anatomy of our toys. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
05-07-2002, 11:07 PM
Look at Padme's sculpt and tell me you didn't see pages about THOSE!???:D

Beast
05-07-2002, 11:13 PM
There have been a few, but if you compare the figure to the picture in the visual dictionary they are accuratly sized. Just like the Reek's umm, pelvic bone. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks