PDA

View Full Version : What did you think of the Official Star Wars Celebration 2?

Tycho
05-07-2002, 06:45 PM
Wow! What a convention!

Let's talk about it!

At first glance, Star Wars Celebration 2 seems to have collected unofficial reports of being almost TWICE the size of Celebration 1 !!!

And in terms of long lines (though a lot drier ;) ) , Celebration 2 attendees' patience spans paid twice the price!

In Denver, they planned for warm weather and an outdoor convention for 25,000 guests. But over 40,000 of them showed up and it rained on them while they stood in mud and froze like a TaunTaun all weekend.

In Indianapolis, they planned for 45,000 and probably over 70,000 showed up! Wow! That's great in terms of fandom, but scary in terms of whether any of the guests could make the most of their shows.

I think I did, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself at Indianapolis!

I am fully on board for a Celebration 3, but making the most of the Indy convention took some effort and planning on my part. Things weren't THAT convenient for attendees at the show.

But it was well worth the trip and Indianapolis was a wonderful city to have this kind of convention in.

What did you think?

bigbarada
05-07-2002, 06:55 PM
I didn't get to go.:cry: I am planning on saving up for C3 though.

Vortex
05-07-2002, 07:12 PM
didn't get to go, but heard mixed reviews.

I hope to go to C III, but it will all depend on where its held.

I wonder if George would be gracious enough to have it on his Skywalker Ranch on the back or front 100 acres? Have the last one with the man himself.

the last jedi
05-07-2002, 07:32 PM
I took the whole family from 3 to 13 and we had a great time we really did. Indy was a great host. The draw back was the planning, We did not get to do alot because of the lines. We only did about four things the whole day and we were there the whole day. The waiting times for the line's were at 1 hr to 7 hrs. I would say on avg 3 hour wait times. They did not prepare for that much. They should have had better control of item's to make sure everyone attending was able to get at least one of an item. The fans were the best they made the show, every dressed up and loved to chat and take pics with my kids, even thoe they were not the real ones the kids thought they were. two thumbs up on this show. I thought it was great. But I dont think I can do another. It takes alot to do the whole day let alone 3. Agian two thumbs up fun and fans.

the last jedi
05-07-2002, 07:35 PM
sorry should have said everyone who dressed up ooops

Tycho
05-07-2002, 08:10 PM
I don't collect the autographs and I skipped getting the Jorg Sacul figure, so that cut down on a lot of the time spent waiting.

For example, one highlight was on Sunday, with Carrie Fisher on stage. Though no one got to ask her questions personally in that show, Anthony Daniels was excellent in asking the ones I would have!

I can't say enough nice things about Anthony Daniels - and I was never a big C-3PO fan. But Anthony is way too cool!

From Carrie, I learned an awful lot, too! She is excellent on stage. Watch the Empire Strikes Back again. When the Falcon lands at Cloud City and Lando first comes out to greet them, they were all drunk when they did this scene. They partied with the Rolling Stones the night before, until 5 am, and they filmed that scene only a few hours later that morning. The Empire Strikes Back - Special Brew Edition!

Other highlights from Carrie to follow as I can remember them. It just seemed better to see her interact with everyone like that, than to hear a brief comment or two to the fans in front and behind of me in the autograph lines. Those were ridiculously long, and I think that was because fans either didn't know about the autograph pull option, or they wanted to see her one-on-one personally, for all the 15 seconds it would be worth to them.

That's the main reason I didn't collect autographs.

That I thought the Jorg Sacul figure was silly (I don't want any Lucas figure personally), nor did I even want Dak (in the snowspeeder), I didn't bother with the store either.

In fact for me, shopping wasn't that good. The Eopiees were $75 each, so I turned them down. No Naboo Royal Guards to be sighted either. I don't know the price of the Ishi Tibbs, but one morning I went to Wal*Mart just outside of Indianapolis (but near my hotel) and got Mace Arena Battle, Jango Fett Final Battle, Darth, and Luke for $5.88 each. LOL - In Indianapolis with 70,000 fans there for the convention? OK. I told you about 6:45 am and waiting for the stores to open. Got 3 of each, but 1 of Luke and Darth.

Though I took $300 to spend at the Celebration (on toys) and spent ZERO there in the dealers' room. Go figure.

Meanwhile for me, the Concert on Saturday Night when the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra and Choir played all of John Williams' best Star Wars music with pyrotechnics and concert lights showing, plus Anthony Daniels hosting with R2, Darth Vader, and the 501st best soldiers standing guard - it was a really awesome treat! Many of the celebreties were in attendance including both Boba Fetts, General Veers, Chewbacca, Darth Vader, and more. Wow! What a night!

I went out downtown Indianapolis after the show and barely slept any night during the convention!

So what else do you remember?

Battle Droid
05-07-2002, 09:25 PM
Didn't get to go, maybe next time. :(

Wookie Boy
05-07-2002, 10:44 PM
I had a great time in spite of all of the long lines. I picked up a Naboo Royal Guard on Friday to complete my E1 series of figures. Friday was by far the least busy day. Fortunately, I did not have to wait in line for the Celebration store. My father-in-law went to the exit with a Wizards bag in hand. He said that he left his pen inside and they let him in. Thern my wife said that she needed to go in with him so that she didn't lose him. I was outside parking the car. They came out with a total of 8 figures. As many people found out, it was easy to switch from line to line in the store. That is why so many people left with more than the 2 a day that was suppose to be the limit. I didn't get to see everything. But I did see a lot. The best event that I got to see was the USC play Star Wars Trilogy in 30 minutes. I accidentally walked into the line on Saturday and then waited for over an hour on Sunday to see it again. I can't wait until I get my pictures back. Then I can see what I look like as a Star Wars action figure.:crazed: :stupid: :crazed:

Sith Vicious
05-07-2002, 11:16 PM
I had a terrible time. $30 bucks for the priveliege of spending more money. They didn't even start registering people until 1.5 to 2 hours after they were supposed to. The lines were ridiculous and the convention was poorly laid out. They didn't even have enough figures or t-shirts to begin to meet demand. I'm definitely skipping celebration 3.

Tycho
05-07-2002, 11:48 PM
I think I echo what a lot of people said about what improvements could be made.

Now, I do stress that celebrity appearances cannot be garaunteed.

But they should have:

1) Published the event schedule way back when the tickets first went on sale.

2) Asked people to assemble a schedule of events for themselves and offered them the little tickets they made you get to attend certain events (they were free, but required an additional line prior to the one to actually gain admission and sit down) so that people would know what they were doing ahead of time.

3) Offered a discount for the passes if all you wanted to do was attend the smaller shows or shop in the dealers' room and view exhibits. (In other words, not attend big events like Hayden's or Carrie Fisher's).

4) Kept a count on their ticket sales if they were only prepared to accomodate 45,000 or whatever, and had those available for the $75.00 with the predetermined tickets for specific customized event schedules (for us pre-paid attendees), then only sold the basic pass (no special events) to everyone over the top of their quota.

YOU HAD TO WAIT ALMOST 30 MINUTES IN A LINE JUST TO BUY FOOD OR GET A DRINK!

That part was outrageous. But I resolved that and went over to the mall to eat when I had extra time and was sure I wasn't missing anything.

But doing these simple things, as well as seeing if they could schedule Carrie, Peter Mayhew, David Prowse, and more for at least more than one showtime with the fans, all would have made this Con perfect.

It was that close to being that GOOD! I also stress that I loved the show and was very glad I attended!

darth maul rat
05-07-2002, 11:50 PM
Ah, Great, just what I need to hear. You guys who looted my City of figures while you were here want to do us all a favor and send us the ones you grabbed when they hit in your city.

It was a bit funny though to see guys paying 15-20 bucks for Boshek when he had been hanging on the racks at TRU three days earlier. Same for FX-7, Imperial Commander and Rebel Fleet Soldier.

Tycho
05-08-2002, 12:03 AM
Darth Maul Rat, check the Wal*Mart on 86th and Michigan or thereabouts, (might be one cross-street further east on Michigan) and you will find what you're looking for (if you don't have them already ; ) (or they sold out)

And yes, my hotel WAS a long way from the city (20 minutes or more) but I highly recommend the Embassy Suites!!! Only there's one right across the street from the Convention Center that I could have stayed at, had I not made my travel plans only 3 weeks before the Convention.

But the price was nice! Plus free full-cooked breakfasts every morning in time for the hungry who return fresh from Wal*Mart, Indianapolis!

Beast
05-08-2002, 12:10 AM
Sounds fun Tycho, wish I could have attended. So, don't keep us in suspense. What was these 11 or so questions that you asked of Hasbro, other then the Mouse Droid and Reek Wee-Wee inquires. :D Oh, and did anyone ask about Yarna' D'al Gargan or R5-D4? Can't wait to hear more...keep us updated. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

darth maul rat
05-08-2002, 12:15 AM
Hey Tycho, when did you find them? I usually am an after midnight raider at the Wal-Mart in Plainfield, which is about five miles west of the Airport on Saturday night/Sunday morning. I declined my normal route in favor of getting some sleep.

I was surprised that you did not see any Royal Guards at C2. Brian's Toys had them all day Sunday, and they finally sold the last one at about 3PM. But they wanted 20 bucks for the thing. I don't know about you, but I can't get behind dropping that kind of money for a figure that will probably turn up sooner than later. Just my opinion...

dr_evazan22
05-08-2002, 12:31 AM
I voted for "as organized as I thought it would be".

For me, there were equal parts good and bad.

I'll start w/ the bad:
-The lines, the lines, the lines! I went w/ my brother, who's not a fan, but likes SW. His tix had to be picked up, so we ended up getting seperated for hours (FC members walked in one door, and everyone else in another), which kept me from seeing a number of things Fri.
-On Sat, after waiting hours for the C2 fig, I wanted tix for the concert so waited there for another few hours. After getting tix I was so disgusted waiting in lines (the place was a mob scene, I heard Sun that about 38,000 people were there Sat, but I don't believe that) that I had to leave. I walked to the mall down the street and got Spidey tix for Sun night.
-More lines! Sat a.m. there were 3 lines going down the hallway- the store, concert and Carrie Fisher autograph. No dividers, no staff to explain what was what, no use of PA system (except to tell people that the C2 fig was sold out), no SW music to soothe the savage conventioneers:) .
-On Sun there was only about a half day of programs! Sun, to me, seemed like it had the least amount of convention traffic.
-I didn't see one person w/ an SSG badge or shirt! I was looking forward to meeting all you guys, but I couldn't see you thru the sea of humanity:cry: .
- I have never been a fan of WotC taking over the FC, and that feeling was only strengthened by what was going on. I think WotC did a bad job of planning how it was going to be run and the logisitcs. So many people came on Sat, and I think that a lot of families that went just Sat probably went away unhappy. There were so many rooms there (it seemed like). I don't know why some presentations weren't recorded and played multiple times in additional rooms so more people could see them. I do think that WotC did a good job of planning how to get more money from the people attending, whether it was admission prices, store prices ($40-45 for a polo, $38 for a chair or hoody), or food prices.

The good:
-The concert! It, IMO, was the best event I saw at C1 or C2. If you get a chance to attend a live performance I would definitely recommend it. The worst thing I can say about the concert is I think they could have raised the level of the chorus' volume.
- Meeting other fans! At C1 I volunteered to help out, so I didn't have a lot of time to meet and hang out w/ other conventioneers, although I saw all the presentations (multiple times). This time I met a ton of people on line. I met or saw 5 people from Philly, my general vicinity, out of all those thousands! When going up the steps to the concert I saw this DS trooper directing people. We used to work for the Crap. I met some Jedi's from the Pittsburgh area who were nice, a cute Jedi from Fla who wore brown knit low rise pants that zippered in the back:D Sweet! (Dude!)
-Those were the 2 things that really made my weekend. I'm very happy I was able to go!
- Besides meeting other fans, all the poeple who came in costume, even if amybe they shuoldn't have.
- It was a nice city w/ plenty to do besides the convention.

Not a like or dislike: It seemed that there were a lot less exhibitors/dealers present then at C1. It was cool talking w/ some of the Hasbro guys and seeing the Master Replica's. Ephont Man was HUGE! The voice command R2 looked great! I'm not really a fan of LEGO's, but the Blockade Runner, plus the Battle of Endor/ Battle of Geo scenes looked incredible! I wqould love to have them!

This has gone on forever! I've got to go to bed. It's too bad I missed you guys at C2, but happy to be back chatting w/ you again and hearing your stories.

DarthDamon
05-08-2002, 12:36 AM
You had two choices, get autographs,exclusive fig and concert tickets or go see the shows.
I did have a great time and the fans were great, but six hours in line for
Carrie Fisher autos was a killer for my
Saturday plans! I did get 15 autos though. Three from Carrie and Vader. Had two 12" and six carded figs signed and shook everybodies hand! Also had my pic taken with Anthony Daniels outside Sat. morning while waiting in line. I wanted his auto so bad, but didn't have the heart to ask him after pic and my C3po was in my backpack. To top it off SirSteve signed my badge at concert and so did Warrick Davis. Autograghs is what I wanted and thats what I got! Was worth every penny, all 80,000 of them!!!

joker13
05-08-2002, 01:23 AM
Thank you to Wookie Boy for coming out of C2 with 8 of the Sacul figs. Maybe some of us who went to C2 on Friday and Sunday wanted to get our hands on just one of those figs! People need to have consideration for others. I waited for 2 hours in line to get one fig and then as I get to with squinting distance of the counter I hear that they are out for the day on Friday. They Said there would be more on Sat and Sun. So when I arrived at 10AM on Sun when general public was syupposed to be let in, I merely stepped into line for the C-store and was told by a Stormtrooper that the figures are sold out! Poor planning on C2, WOTC, and selfish star wars fans!

plo kloon
05-08-2002, 05:58 AM
Me and the faimily went on saturday.It was bad enough that we had to wait an hour or so to get our will call badges only to find out that they were not there yet,then we had to go to the customer service and wait another 30min. to get our badges. The lines were ridiculous.I was very disappointed that they sold out of jorg sacul figure so early and that we didn't get any autographs. I was quite pleased of the fans who dressed up and we were able to have our pictures taken with them,That is what the celebration should be all about.THE FANS not the people who were charging 3 times the amount for merchandise!!!

Rocket X
05-08-2002, 09:44 AM
Friday was one of the best cons I have ever been to.
Saturday was one of the worst experiences of my life.

WOTC made stupid changes from Friday to Saturday. They need some help with managing large crowds. Wizardworld, HeroCon, DragonCon, and Fan Fair all do good jobs with managing large numbers of people. Prior to Celebration 3 they need to contact someone and get some hints and organization.

The Bad
Saturday lines. Way too long and no one was managing them. I know some people who waited all day for Carries autograph only to be told that the line was now closed and they could not get a refund for their ticket. Someone needed to really be counting people and cap the line way before the end of the day.

Hours. 10am to 6pm seems short. I think the lines could have been alleviated if the day was stretched out more, like 9 to 9.

The store sold out of just about everything!?

T-shirt booths needed to be all over the Convention center instead of just one area.

Wanting everyone to go in one door. They would only open 3 of the 6 doors on the 500 ballroom. Why? You can only go in one way, open all doors. When we saw Rick McKellum a lady was almost trampled cause everyone rushed the single open door.

Entry. I bought my ticket months in advance, why are we all waiting in a single line outside? There are doors all over the Convention center open them all.

Exhibit hall. Way too small. There were 3 other halls as large as the 1 the dealers were in. Open it up and make extremely wide isles. People were shoplifting from the Suncoast booth so bad that they had to close the isle behind their area.

Tickets/Will call area. Why did they not use the Colts ticket booth? It is designed for lots of people. That would have kept that large crowd out of the main area.

Signage. I was lost most of the time.

The Westin Hotel. They were rude and obnoxious. A bellboy tells me “Hey Darth, you can’t park your x-wing there.” The whole staff just was nasty. They did not want us there.

The Good
Speakers. WOW! They were all great. I really hope someone starts some kind of thank you letter or petition to the guests. Yoda with the lightsaber was incredible!

The digital theater. Not only were the Rick McKellum previews in all digital sound and picture, but also Friday night the Phantom Menace was shown in all digital. I have never been able to see it like that. You must seek out a digital theater to see this stuff!

Exhibit hall. It was nice to see a good variety of different dealers. Some shows have big problems with variety, this did not.

Friday lines. Everything was an hour or less. I realize a lot more people came on the weekend-but was it really that many more people? There were a good 25,000 people there Friday and everything was really smooth.

The 501st. They were friendly and helpful, even after they took the brunt from angry fans because of the incompatance of WOTC to organize properly.

Freebies. Wow, what a haul of stuff. From posters to hats. All the free books from Suncoast was…(just kidding)

If I could do it over or if they have another one-
I would go just on Friday.
I would stay out in a cheap hotel and drive in to downtown. Parking was the same cost.
I would watch all of the fan films.
I would set a firm schedule and keep to it of things I want to see.

Overall, I had a good time, but there were problems. I see on some other websites that people with concerns are being made out to be few and far-between, this is not true. I talked with a lot of people who were disappointed. Subway on Saturday night became ***** central. There must have been 20 of us talking about how they could have done it better.

I hope they can overcome some of these issues and keep having shows. Unfortunately, I think they will ignore the concerns, have C3 and be done with it. Anyone remember the big Star trek conventions Paramount use to sponsor?

Mandalorian Candidat
05-08-2002, 11:00 AM
Wow! Sounds like those who did go were really disappointed with the lack of organization and the deluge of fans. Since I'm a masochist and have to experience a horrible time myself before I decide not to do it again, I would go to C3 (if it were near home) just for the experience.

If it was really that horrible, I'm glad I spent my $ on EP2 figures instead.

Tonysmo
05-08-2002, 12:37 PM
I vote to give it an overall best experience... It was after all my 1st convention.

I took my son, my nephew, and my mother from St. Louis early Saturday morning. We arrived right on time around 9ish. Parked across the street, $5! that in itself was pretty cool. and from there we stood in line... and thats about it... just stood in line.. when one line ended, we got in another..

Ok, so it was pretty bad with all the people. but hey, how can you complain to much when you have Fetts, and troopers, and Jedi OH MY! I have a ton of pics, and I know my son had a blast

I did want to meet all of the SIR STEVE members, but it was WAY to hard to see everything, and look for people with badges as well. I tried to make mine stand out as well as I could.

We only lasted for around half the day, walking through the Hasbro section, the lego section and such, and then getting our Jorg figures.. we saw the R2 room, and saw the diorama room, but that was really about it. I know I missed quite a bit but I think I'll live with what I did see. ( until C3 of course )

I did want to note that the Lucas figure was quite cool, and it is a shame that all didnt get one. However, whats funny is how everyone is so quick to judge others. Since I knew that I wanted one of those figures, I made it a priority to make sure I got there as soon as I could. We waited in the same lines as everyone else. I got my two figures, my son got two, my nephew got two and my mother got two. Now the 1st thing everyone thinks is, heres another guy with 8 figures looking to profit.... well, yes and no. 1st, we did everything the way we were supposed to. we each got our two figures, and that was it. My nephew kept one, and gave me the other, my son opened his, and gave me the other, I have mine, and I gave one to a friend who I knew would love it. The others? Ebay.. Why not? why not re-coop some of the money I spent? Now I am getting hate mail from ebayers telling me I suck because they didnt get one... How is this my fault? Lucas said there would be enough for everyone who attended. bummer he never expected 70 thousand people..

ok, sorry for that tangent, but I felt I needed to vent..

anyhow - The costumes were AWESOME... they made the trip. If there is a place to post some of the pics, lemme know so I can share the experience..

all in all, C3 will be much better.. .Why? cause my son will be a bit older, and I wont bring my mom!! ( she got tired to quick..)

Tonysmo -

lapork
05-08-2002, 01:37 PM
I'm reminded of an old 80's synth-pop song by Thompson Twins:

Lines, lines, lines...ye-ah!

Tycho
05-08-2002, 02:18 PM
Darth Maul Rat I got the Jango / Mace / Vader wave figures at 7am at Wal*Mart 86th and Michigan. I rolled out of bed after maybe 2 hours sleep following the 501st Stormtrooper Legion's party the night before. I threw on a ball cap and some shoes and was out the door only to return for breakfast about 20 minutes later with the figures and some time left over to get a shower and iron my clothes before I left for the next day of the show.

I was not looking for Royal Guards, if you are talking about the Chancellor's Protection. I was looking for NABOO Royal Guards, the Hispanic looking character with a mustache and removeable helmet that defends the Queen. (though on Friday I had no time to look for figures - so I didn't actually go shopping until Saturday and they might have been all gone).

And you're right: I don't spend more than $10 for any Star Wars figure - and if I do - it won't be for anything that I think I can get at retail. (This applies especially for army builders!)

Dr. Evazan: I too wished I could have met up with you. I never got an SSG badge but I was wearing my new SSG Staff shirt on Saturday (and to the concert). I totally forgot about the badge and should've asked Steve when we went to dinner with some friends from the website on Friday. I didn't meet anyone from the forums here, though many who visit our site.

(I created all new fans of the Mouse Droid while we were waiting in line - some Imperial guy had a remote control life-size one. I don't think he expected to meet me! Heh-heh-heh-heh-hee)

The Concert was probably the best part of the whole convention - maybe! Gosh there was so much good stuff!

But the concert tickets should have been sold online before we ever left for Indianapolis, and that would have cut out one more line. (Though for me, at the end of the day on Saturday, there was not more than 5 people ahead of me in line - no problem). But I'd gotten my color-coded ticket voucher from a friend earlier. Then we had to trade, so 4 of us could sit together. I did the switching and I think I screwed somebody because we ended up with perfect front-row center seating by all the celebreties and the last tickets I swapped were on the far left side (outfield mode!) Ooops. Sorry...

But that all wouldn't have happened if people knew in advance that they had to get their color cards together if they wanted to sit together. I mean my friends from San Diego were big autograph collectors, so they did their thing, and I went to the shows.

The shows are where the action was at! The 8 minutes of Episode 2 I saw, digital nevertheless, with Rick McCallum narrating live, was incredible and it rivaled the concert to see Yoda fighting and the Speeder chase (nearly all of it!). WOW! No autograph would be worth standing in line and missing that! I also saw some of the final fight with Count Dooku and most of the rain battle sequence between Obi-Wan and Jango Fett! AWESOME! This movie is going to make ALL the others look bad! It is so much going to be the best Star Wars movie! WoW!

Rocket X: I totally agreed with you: use all those Stormtroopers for security at every entrance, and open all the doors for people with badges. They may not be Rebel Legion warriors, but they are smart enough to spot people without badges and say "Let me see your identification!" ; ) LOL - and thanks to the 501st for an awesome job!!!

So what did I ask Hasbro?

I asked them to do New Jedi Order figures and a joint promotion with Del Rey Books for 2003.

-They said we need to write Lucas Licencing to encourage that. They and Del Rey are willing to encourage more people to expand their interest in their products. I will post some contact info for Lucasfilm Licensing in multiple threads shortly.

I asked them why the E2 characters do not fit better in their vehicles.

-They said the figures DO fit, but ones more geared to adult collectors who want their figures to fit perfectly are shipping later namely because the kids will like the action features and they wanted to get those out first, with the greatest variety of characters, rather than have 2 Obi-Wan's out on cards all at once. Zam's E2 card figure is the definitive Zam. Anakin will have soft goods in the deluxe figure which will fit in the speeder better.

I asked with Padme sporting nearly 20 outfits in E2, and there still being about 5 from Episode One that have not yet been produced at the 3 3/4" scale, when will we be seeing more?

-There will be at least 2 more Padme 3 3/4" figures released this year in addition to the Arena one out now, and the pilot one coming shortly! so that's 4 E2 Padme's as far as we are aware. They did not specify which outfits they would be making her in, though the Senate "African style" one is a likely bet, as possibly could be the Arena Battle one (without action feature, before her shirt is ripped) - but I'm just guessing, and there are much more beautiful choices hopefully still to come. Plus an E1 Handmaiden figure has been on a list for nearly 2 years, so that woudn't at all surprise me.

Will the Imperial Officer and Rebel Fleet Trooper still get their head variations made?

-It depends on fan demand for the Endor Soldier figure with 2 heads, as wel as fan e-mail and interest in seeing perhaps a blonde-haired Imperial Officer, and the older Sergeant-commander figure from the Tantive IV's defenders. These kind of changes might become possible. I'll also add an update with a link so we can all write Hasbro and ask for these variations for our army builders. They are not supposed to be clones!

I asked them why they went with more expressive figures, for example Mace Arena Battle

- To show what RealScan and their sculptors could do. Really exciting draw-you-into-the-scene figures. They are aware that collectors and diorama makers also want figures sculpted neutral so we can pose them ourselves. Those are forthcoming and not discontinued. This current trend is only something that is being offered new. If successful, there will also be other future figures done this way, and some the old way.

I asked if the Targer accessory pack exclusive figures could make the Death Star Trooper in gray, with switchable Officer Hat and 'Bucket Helmet' so we can create armies of either. And also if the Hoth Rebel could be a TaunTaun wrangler or Flight Crew Member like the vintage one, versus another trench infantryman with a goatee (or a rehash of the deluxe).

-All they will confirm of these sets is the BattleDroid from the arena. The suggestions were very seriously listened to and taken to heart. (the 4th rumored piece is a Bikerscout with Endor accessories - also not confirmed).

The Mouse Droid Sniffing Phenomenon is addressed and answered in the POTJ section, and the Reek's anatomical features thread may have been deleted from the Saga Toys section - as it was getting a little nasty! But all in good fun! And yes I DID have the nerve to publically ask them! (Heh-heh-hehe-hee) :D

And that's about all I can recap at this moment. Keep posting folks. There's lots to tell!

Jedi Clint
05-08-2002, 04:12 PM
Much better than C1. I missed one big event only to walk in and get a great seat at the Beru and Owen show.....even though it was already under way.

Tycho
05-08-2002, 04:40 PM
I'm in love with Bonnie Marie Pieces!

She is so hot!

She sang for us, too! Wasn't that great? And I saw her cute little tattoo by her bellybutton :happy:

I was really glad to see them - that was the first event I think I did at the show on Saturday.

Wow!

And I saw the Women Who Kick! show first thing on Friday.

The girl that plays Bariss Ofee is so sexy! I love girls with British accents.

Shannon and Michonne are always great! They must have signed the whole weekend, because on past occasions at other cons we've gotten the chance to just hang out and talk. Shannon's so cool!

Amy Allen who plays Aayla Secura was there and got to field questions from both the behind the screen and on-screen perspectives on Star Wars. She is a production assistant and works on the technical aspects of Episode 2 besides parading around and looking real good as a slinky, blue Twi'lek Jedi, and the Expanded Universe's first on-screen roll from comic book to the movies! She is truly honored, and I later saw her in the Dealers' Room by the Hasbro boothe where sculpter Brian was making her action figure. She was standing right there with him, as fascinated as the rest of us were, and I got to talk to both of them. Aayla's creator, Jan "Episode 2" Duursema and Dark Horse Comics' Vice-President Randy Stradley were also both on hand for this great occasion. Brian@Hasbro had series of pictures of Jan's artwork on hand to develop the figure for Aayla, as well as shots of her actually straight from the movie, and though Amy was not real-scanned (even though she could have been since GentleGiant was only a few boothes away), she was right there while Brian was sculpting her, wholely unintentionally, but just as much there because she too was a fan - just like us! Well, her figure is going to be perfect and going to rock!

(1 magnet in a hand for Force-action, and a slashing lightsaber action - Andy or Paul must have told Brian to make it that way as he said it's not up to him on that call).

But there were another few great moments at the convention! It all would have been too, too, too awesome if Bonnie Marie Pieces would've kept me company in all the lines! Wow, there was so much to see and do!

Jedi Clint
05-08-2002, 07:07 PM
She had an amazing voice! Joel had a great sense of humor. What was with the Jawa vs Hobbit question for Joel? I didn't know he watched those fights....besides aren't they illegal? :rolleyes: I cringed as soon as I heard "Tank" ask it. Questions like those are probably why most people (and the stars of Star Wars as well) think we are all creepy. Later my friend said, "It would obviously be the Jawa.......they pack heat." ;)

stillakid
05-08-2002, 07:51 PM
In case y'all haven't seen this yet...

darth maul rat
05-09-2002, 12:40 AM
Hello again

Rocket X, I really hope you do not let the attitude of the Westin sully your opinion of my fair city. I cannot believe that, given the amount of conventions that come through here, the management would tolerate such behavior.

A GOOD friend of mine who made it to C2 on Friday offered me his second figure. At Cost. I know we are locals, and we don't have the monitary losses to recoup that some of you do. But Jason Carr exemplifies what a true fan is.

The photo Stillakid posted rocks! Seeing all those guys in costume there on the steps was awesome.

By the way, despite what happened at various hotels and the actual convention, what did you guys think of Indy?

Jedi Clint
05-09-2002, 01:36 AM
Interesting city. It's vast expanse is not reflected by numerous huge towers of concrete and glass downtown. The downtown area itself was attractive and clean. The cable in the hotel was awful, and it friggin SUCKS that you aren't able to buy alcohol there on Sunday......and thus I left that day rather than waiting until Monday to do so. Easy to navigate and the people were nice. Overall B+! :)

Tycho
05-09-2002, 06:02 PM
I'm surprised I didn't at least run into one of you at the Convention!

Was anyone at Friday's Q&A with Hasbro?

I was the guy asking about sniffing the Mouse Droid and wanted all the details on the Reek's interesting anatomy ;)

I loved Indianapolis. A very clean city. Nice crosswalk signals (seriously - though they were not ADA compliant - but that's easily fixed).

I saw no homeless. Unlike San Diego, Indianapolis funds shelters year-round.

I may be returning with a group from our City Planning Department to study Indianapolis to see whether programs and development planning used there can be applied in San Diego.

Hope all of you can attend the San Diego Comic Con. I'll think of a way to make myself more obvious, at a Hasbro presentation of course :D

darth maul rat
05-10-2002, 01:51 AM
Yeah, that whole no alcohol on Sunday bit gets a lot of people. You ought to see the liquor stores around here on a Saturday night in the middle of summer. And then we have two of the biggest sporting events on the planet on Sundays! But they can always sell beer out at the track.

There has been a great effort here in last several years to revitalize our downtown. I myself am a suburbanite, so I rarely get downtown anymore. Glad you guys like it.

While I was in line for the prop room, I got to talking to a woman who hails from California. She claims to have snagged one of the shutters from Jabba's Sail Barge when they were filming it back in '82. Since some of you are from her neck of the woods, do any of you know who I am talking about?

Tycho
05-10-2002, 02:42 AM
Nope. I saw a lady who was once chained to a giant, fat slug on the Sailbarge, but none who was ever chained to some shutters ;)

stillakid
05-10-2002, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by Tycho

Hope all of you can attend the San Diego Comic Con. I'll think of a way to make myself more obvious, at a Hasbro presentation of course :D

When and where is that?

Tycho
05-10-2002, 03:38 AM
San Diego Convention Center - and I Do STRESS get your hotel rooms early if you plan on staying here. Our cheapest motel 8's book up for this event!

It will probably be in the end of July or early August like it always is.

Sure enough, they will show a lot of the clips and present a lot of the things they used at the Celebration. (though the movie will be out by then).

I live about 15 minutes away from Downtown San Diego, but I'm considering getting a hotel myself just so I can party with everyone all night and not have to worry about driving.

Comic Con is a lot of fun!

I don't have the exact date at this time. But I will get it, or "any help here would be hot."