PDA

View Full Version : Who else DIDN'T want to go on the first day?

JEDIpartner
05-07-2002, 09:53 PM
I gave in and got tickets for the 16th because my co-workers pressured me to. I guess they think they will get something extra out of it by going with the token office Jedi! Oh, well... I guess I'll have to suffer through the film with all the loud crazy people. I'll go see it again on a dead day so I can REALLY enjoy the film!

Battle Droid
05-07-2002, 09:58 PM
That's one reason why I don't go to the movies much, I may see a movie at the movies ever 2 or 3 years. (depending on what is playing and when)

Most movies I just wait to rent or buy on DVD.

But if it's a movie that I'm really excited to see like AOTC, I've gotta see it the day it opens at least once.

JEDIpartner
05-07-2002, 10:05 PM
Seriously... even if I hadn't read the book and discovered the stuff about Anakin losing his hand or Shmi getting killed, I STILL would have avoided the film. I can't stand the fact that so many people haven't a shred of courtesy these days. I paid good money to see AND hear the film.

The scene at the end with the battle and the arena is going to be so intense and I KNOW there are going to be people talking through the whole thing. I'm a little annoyed with my co-workers now that I think about it! :mad:

Wolfwood319
05-07-2002, 10:07 PM
I still won't be going on the first day. I've got work late until Wednesday night, and I have work early on Thursday morning. Plus, I don't want to be associated with the "Midnight Showing" people. I'll go see it sometime during the week after it opens.

2-1B
05-08-2002, 12:41 AM
Talking during AOTC? That's a safe bet J-Partnr, one review of a press screening said some attendees were muttering profanities at how cool Yoda's fight scene was.
I was disgusted during Spider-Man last week when the father behind me felt the need to provide commentary on certain parts of the movie. Thanks buddy for pointing out to me that Peter Parker showed up late for his chores. Like I really couldn't tell. And another thing is parents explaining things to their kids during a movie. If the kid doesn't understand the movie, don't take him! When I saw an ESB release at age 5, my mom didn't feel the need to read the opening crawl to me, she just let me sit there like a zombie soaking the film in.

I'll still see AOTC on opening day. :D
However I am very seriously considering a boycott of the midnight showing that Wolfy is not a fan of. ;)

figrin bran
05-08-2002, 02:10 AM
i really would like to see it on the first day but have to work early and then go to a wedding rehearsal that night :(

talking is bad enough but when people answer their cell phones, that's just so uncourteous.

stormie
05-08-2002, 02:24 PM
JEDIpartnr - you've echoed my feelings exactly! I absolutely abhor crowds, lines, searching for parking, and sitting packed next to other people, and the first few weeks of AOTC will have all of the above. I do want to see it, but I can easily wait 'til the crowds are smaller.

I still remember fondly the days when one could actually go to and enjoy a movie on a Friday or Saturday night without searching for a parking spot for 30 minutes; waiting in hour-long lines; and being squeezed next to popcorn-munching, cell-phone-answering, clapping-like-a-seal, talking-throughout-the-movie dolts! :D

dirtybones
05-08-2002, 02:43 PM
I hate the groups that go into a movie leave a friend to TRY!! and protect five seats because the rest of the party took off for goodies. Sorry gomer, two of those five seats are about to be taken, and the force will be with me and up your*** if you don't give way.

2-1B
05-08-2002, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by stormie
being squeezed next to popcorn-munching

And I thought I was the only one (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6297&perpage=15&highlight=Theater%20Courtesy&pagenumber=1)! :D

DeadEye
05-08-2002, 03:37 PM
You were 5 and you couldn't read???? :confused:

Anyway...I despise seeing movies with buttheads yakking the whole time.

2-1B
05-08-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by DeadEye
You were 5 and you couldn't read???? :confused:

I didn't say that yet you made that assumption???? :confused:

My complaint was directed at parents who read the opening credits to their kids out loud whether they can read or not. And I'll add that during TPM I didn't need to hear people reading Watto and Anakin's huttese out loud.

Nice try though ;)

Jargo
05-08-2002, 04:33 PM
I'm a claustrophobia sufferer so i'm waiting weeks for the theaters to quiet down, just before the films run finishes I'll go see the movie when no-one else wants to. A whole screen to myself with no kids, no popcornor candy wrappers crinkling. no slurps from soft drinks through straws, no cell phones, no talking just me and the screen and the movie. Bliss. :happy:

mdbulldog
05-08-2002, 05:52 PM
WHAT!!!!!!!! I love the 12:00am show. i make sure i go to it. i also have tickets for the 10:00am show so that i can watch it and really take it all in. the midnight show is just for the fun. those idiots yelling are Star Wars fans like you and me.

CrossWizard
05-08-2002, 07:10 PM
I plan to go see it at 10:30 am on the 16th, when all the kiddies will be at school, cause if theres one thing I hate is having to buy the ticket hours in advance, then get to the theater 2 hours before the movie start to make a stupid line in hopes of getting a nice seat, only to have some lonely guy tell me 7 seats in one line are taken for his friends. That pretty much summed up my experience this past friday on going to see Spiderman, so this time ill be smart and Ill take the earliest show.

chewie
05-08-2002, 08:34 PM
I'll probably go on the weekend, or go early the following week to see AOTC.

Jargo
05-08-2002, 08:52 PM
JediClint, why did you delete my response to mdbulldog? I definately posted a reply here and now it's gone. I didn't say anything ofensive ans anyone who would take what I did say as offensive is way too sensitive. I'm getting bored of this post deletion without reasons given. If it's that bad you should PM the user. If it's not that bad then for frick's sake just edit the post and give a reason in the box provided in the moderator edit panel. GAH! this gets me mad. :mad:

2-1B
05-08-2002, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by mdbulldog
those idiots yelling are Star Wars fans like you and me.

I don't presume to label them "fans" or "nonfans", but regardless of what movie I'm watching I don't need to hear people screaming/yelling/talking during it.
I buy a ticket to see and hear a movie, and unless the director pops up on screen and asks the audience to behave like hyenas, I don't need the extra noise. :)

Jedi Clint
05-08-2002, 10:57 PM
I promise I deleted nothing Jargo. I don't know what happened to your post. What time was it posted?

bigbarada
05-09-2002, 03:40 AM
I'll go on the first day, since no one in this town really cares about Star Wars. So the theaters shouldn't be that crowded.

Jargo
05-09-2002, 07:09 AM
I posted right after The post I mentioned by mdbulldog, I swear it was there because the system takes you straight to the post you just made doesn't it? It was a paragraph long and yes it was calling cellphone users in cinemas Neanderthal philistines but I didn't swear, I was just explaining my reasons for not wanting to be in the cinema on the 16th. This is very strange. I've had several posts just disappear lately. Like I say, I don't mind so much when there's a reason or an explanation. I know I sometimes push the bar a bit but when they just vanish it really frustrates me. Sorry if I blamed you but you were the obvious candidate being the mod of this section. No hard feelings eh? :)

JEDIpartner
05-09-2002, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by mdbulldog
those idiots yelling are Star Wars fans like you and me.

Fans, but not at all like me. I hate to disagree with you... but I never yell or talk out loud in a theatre. It shows a lack of class and respect for other individuals. I came to see the film... not hear some person having incidental conversation or making noise. If people want to do that... go see a WWF match or stay at home and do it in the privacy of one's own living room. A theatre is a public place and one must respect the fact that other people paid good money to see a film. If someone wants to talk or make noise and thinks other people are interested, get your own space, charge admission and see who'll show up.

Star Wars or not... I don't go to films to have conversations or carry on. I guess I was just raised differently.

2-1B
05-09-2002, 11:58 AM
*doing a Charlie Brown dance of glee around JEDIpartnr's post*

I changed my mind, I'm not even going to see it. I'll just give my tickets to some friends, maybe they're ignorant enough to be satisfied with fluff like this. Well, at least that's the impression many of the current reviews give me.
I might rent it on VHS this fall and watch it while I'm doing the dishes or something.

:D

Jedi Clint
05-09-2002, 01:23 PM
No prob EJ. I can understand how you would be upset. I have typed a lengthy response or two only to lose it due to some machine error somewhere.....I usually don't even go back and re-enter it, because I'm so frustrated.