PDA

View Full Version : anybody else in U.S. pick up the TV Guides?

artdoesart
05-08-2002, 01:12 AM
Hey i was wondering if anyone else picked up the 3 variant covers of this weeks TV Guide. and if so is it just me or is the "spine" of the book spelled wrong? or is it just me?

is it suppose to say DARK SLIDE? shouldn't it be DARK SIDE? or does this DARK SLIDE have another meaning?

JediTricks
05-08-2002, 04:55 AM
Dark Slide is on the one I bought and probably has another meaning, I doubt they'd let this one go with such a glaring error.

artdoesart
05-08-2002, 02:03 PM
Jedi Tricks,

but what could DARK SLIDE mean? i mean kind of too close to DARK SIDE if you know what i mean.. since all covers feature anakin, especially the one that changes faces from ani to darth...

JediTricks
05-09-2002, 10:17 PM
Maybe it's a reference to Anakin's slide into the Dark side of the Force? I dunno, it IS weird that there's no mention (that I can find) about it.

Battle Droid
05-09-2002, 11:02 PM
I've got the one with Anakin using his saber, as for the " Dark Slide. " I was wondering the same thing.

El Chuxter
05-10-2002, 03:02 PM
I figured it was a (bad) reference to the animated covers?

JEDIpartner
05-10-2002, 04:12 PM
Probably Anakin's slide to the Dark Side. They're always trying to be punny. They rarely succeed. There's one of these word plays on nearly every issue.

2-1B
05-11-2002, 01:35 AM
I might have purchased one today if the covers weren't so badly marred. I like the Anakin Vader / Ben Kenobi cover the most. :)

Is the article inside decent?

bigbarada
05-12-2002, 01:17 AM
Inside features interviews with GL, Hayden and Natalie. It offers some insight into the movie but not much more than us spoiler freaks already know. There is mention that Hayden performed one scene so well that he had everyone on the set in tears with the realization that a great star was being born. Probably the.... oops, no spoiler section....well, it's probably THE scene and all you spoiler fanatics will know which scene I am talking about.

I only had the chance to get one of the covers, the one with ANH Ben and Vader turning into Ep2 Anakin and Obi-Wan. The rest were sold out at Wal-Mart. That's the only cover I really wanted anyway so it's cool.

2-1B
05-12-2002, 02:01 AM
B, was it the scene I asked Malakite about? I hope so, I'm looking forward to that. :)

How well do the nonVader covers "work"? I didn't get a good look at them, but the kissing cover didn't seem to work that well. However, the Vader/Kenobi transitions looked pretty slick. :)

bigbarada
05-12-2002, 02:16 AM
If you are referring to the "slumping" scene, then that is the one I am talking about.

Eternal Padawan
05-13-2002, 03:58 AM
The one new tidbit of info I gleaned from the article was that George lobbied the Academy to give Frank Oz a supporting actor nom for ESB back in 1980. I never knew that. Cool. Also cool is the Vader/Ben cover. It's eerie how Ewan melts into Alec so easily.

bigbarada
05-13-2002, 04:12 AM
Frank Oz deserved to get an Oscar for that. Yoda is probably one of the most memorable supporting characters in movie history.

Eternal Padawan
05-13-2002, 04:39 AM
Timothy Hutton Ordinary People beat out

Judd Hirsch Ordinary People
Michael O'keefe The Great Santini
Joe Pesci Raging Bull
and
Jason Robards Melvin and Howard

Now I may be biased towards Star Wars, but Frank gave all of those guys a run. And like bigb said, who remembers those roles? Nobody. Who remembers Oz's performance? EVERYBODY. BTW, the article said the Academy told Lucas that "Puupetry isn't acting" and that's why he wasn't nominated. I know what you're thinking... I know. George had the same argument.