PDA

View Full Version : What a POS Wired's Sci-Fi List is. What's you're top 10?

mrmiller
05-08-2002, 09:22 AM
Man, what are those guys at Wired smoking? That top 20 sci-fi list just flat out sucks. Star Wars at 10 wouldn't bother me so much, but it's what they put before it. I mean, Gattaca at #2?! I agree the idea is good, but then again, so was AI. I thought Gattaca was a pretty lame movie myself, definately not #2 sci-fi of all time. C'mon guys. I agree on Blade Runner, but there are a lot of other things I'd change in that list. Anyhow, I don't have time to keep ranting right now. I just thought I'd start a thread to see what everyone else thinks about it. I'll chime back in later when I get more time and give you my top 10.
=MATT=

Mandalorian Candidat
05-08-2002, 10:16 AM
I would have a hard time placing all my favorite sci-fi flicks in order, but SW and ESB would definitely be #1 (ESB) and #2 (SW). I would also throw in Matrix, Stargate, Planet of the Apes (not the Tim Burton one), maybe Blade Runner, possibly X-Files. Definitely not JP, it was a total piece of crap.

I don't know what Wired criteria was, but it seemed to be pretty crummy with Gattaca at #2. Maybe they were going for the whole futuristic society angle.

pthfnder89
05-08-2002, 02:37 PM
Personally I liked Gattaca. And it really did have some great ideas.

But mrmiller is right, it totally doesn't beling at #2. Like he said AI had some great ideas too but it was also really flawed at some points. Honestly, this isn't even the Star WArs fan in me talking, it's just the movie critic.

Personally I think Contact should be on the list, around the middle at least. It's one of my all time favcorite movies and I feel like it never got the props it deserves. Jodie Foster was AWESOM in it.

mrmiller
05-08-2002, 03:02 PM
I just wanted to post this before it dissapears off of the Main page. That way everyone knows what we are talking about. This is WIRED magazines top 20 listing of the Best Sci-Fi movies Ever :

1. "Blade Runner"
2. "Gattaca"
3. "The Matrix"
4. "2001: A Space Odyssey"
5. "Brazil"
6. "A Clockwork Orange"
7. "Alien"
8. "The Boys From Brazil"
9. "Jurassic Park"
10. "Star Wars"
11 - 20 are as follows (in order): "The Road Warrior," "Tron," "The Terminator," "Sleeper," "Soylent Green," "Robocop," "Planet of the Apes," "The Day The Earth Stood Still," "Akira," "Barbarella."

The full write up was/is in the news section-

bigbarada
05-08-2002, 04:34 PM
Blade Runner? Good movie; but not #1 material

The Matrix? #3? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh geez that was pretty funny!

2001? Boooooring.

A Clockwork Orange? Crap, crappity crap crap. Terrible movie!

Alien? Good. Better than Blade Runner

Jurassic Park? ANother good movie, but not top ten material

Gattaca, Brazil and Boys from Brazil I have never seen, nor do I wish to.

Star Wars should be #1!

QLD
05-08-2002, 06:04 PM
Gattaca? You have to be freaking kidding me! I loved Blade Runner, I think it belongs in the top 10. 2001 was groundbreaking. Matrix, I guess, but maybe a little lower. I have never seen Clockwork Orange, and never had any desire too. Neither have I seen Boys From Bazil. But Star Wars at 10 is kind of silly.

SithDroid
05-08-2002, 10:34 PM
Yeah there list is pretty lame.

2001, not as great as everyone makes it out to be.

Clockwork Orange, an ok film, but still not worthy

the Boys From Brazil and Brazil I've never seen.

Here would be my top 10 (if we include superhero movies)

1. Star Wars: ESB
2. Spider-man
3. Star Wars: ANH
4. X-Men
5. Star Wars: ROTJ
6. Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
7. Jurassic Park
8. Aliens
9. The Matrix
10. Terminator 2

Wolfwood319
05-08-2002, 10:48 PM
Well, it takes different strokes to move the world, I guess.

My list would follow almost the same as Sithdroid's, except I'd only put "Star Wars" (ANH) on there. And I'd switch "Aliens" with "Alien." (Although I like "Aliens" more, I think "Alien" was a better movie.)

And "Blade Runner," the Director's Cut, would be number 1 on my list. The regular film is good, but the Director's Cut adds in a few scenes that make Blade Runner the best, IMO.

mrmiller
05-08-2002, 11:19 PM
I guess there is a difference in good Science Fiction, and an entertaining movie. I love the Aliens movies, but as far as good science fiction goes, they are not that great. Same thing goes with the superhero movies. To me, good science fiction is more like Blade Runner with underlying messages that relate to society, or where society my be heading. But even with that, I make no sense of Wiredís lame list.

Star Wars is great, but more as the Trilogy is concerned than as in a single movie. The rebels fighting against an empowered terror driven dictatorship (remind you of anything in the Mid East?), and the classic Good vs. Evil battle, not to mention the personal struggles within the individual characters (I love Hans character developent through the series). All this in a nice shiney and entertaining package- what else could you ask for?

I canít really list my top 10 in order, but here are my 10 best science fiction movies besides the Star Wars Trilogy (the trilogy together is by leaps and bounds #1 over everything).

I like the classics like: Invasion of the Body Snatchers (the one with Donald Sotherland of course), Logans Run, Planet of the Apes (Yes, Heston- No Walberg) and 2001 (I think you must be over 21 to view this movie and appreciate it- I used to think it sucked).

Some of the so-called new classics would be: Blade Runner, the Terminator, and Total Recall.

Newer movies I like include- the Matrix, Dark City, and Starship Troopers (maybe because Iíve read the book).

Those would be my 10 best for pure science fiction. There are other ones I really like, but really donít fall to the category great ďscience fictionĒ. BTW- I consider movies like Lord of the Rings, Fantasy and not really science fiction.

Some of my honorable mentions would be: Terminator 1&2, Escape From New York, The Road Warrior, Enemy Mine, Stargate, John Carpenters the Thing, the Andromida Strain, Alien and Aliens, and even Jurassic Park (just ruined any credibility I may have had left, huh?). Now, I havenít seen a lot of the old back-and-white classics, but I know there are some good ones.

Actually, there are a ton more Sci-fi movies I like, but I better stop now. Sorry for the long post.

=MATT=

bigbarada
05-09-2002, 02:26 AM
mrmiller makes a good point, so I will split my list in two; my top 5 sci-fi movies, top 5 comic book movies and top 5 fantasy movies. Let me clarify one thing though: these are my favorites, I'm not saying they are the best.

Sci-Fi
1. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
2. Terminator 2
3. Aliens
4. Bladerunner
5. Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Kahn

Comic Book:
1. Superman
2. MIB
3. Unbreakable
4. Blade
5. X-Men
(I haven't seen Spider-Man yet)

Fantasy:
1. Star Wars: Ep4
2. Star Wars: Ep5
3. LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring
4. Star Wars: Ep1
5. Star Wars: Ep6

Mandalorian Candidat
05-09-2002, 10:30 AM
Can LOTR really be considered sci-fi? It's not futuristic and there's really no aspect of science in it at all. I would consider it more fantasy than sci-fi, although I understand why people would include it on a sci-fi list due to its escapist nature.

On Alien/Aliens, I agree that Aliens was a much superior movie, although Alien was very excellent.

Robocop was on local TV last night, so I had a chance to watch it again. I really like it due to its satirical nature; poking fun at the media, commercials, governmental problems, corporate corruption, etc. I might put it on a top ten list for sci-fi flicks.

A Clockwork Orange was an excellent movie, but for some reason I just can't include it into the sci-fi category. Yes it did happen in a supposed future, but it was more about a social commentary than anything else and didn't seem to have any real element of sci-fi in it other than perhaps the brainwashing scene. It's a flick worth renting in my book, if only for hearing Malcolm McDowell sing "Singing in the Rain."

SithDroid
05-09-2002, 03:00 PM
When I worked at a video store they used to categorize Sciene Fiction, Fantasy, Horror, and Superhero movies all under Science Fiction. It should have the sub categories, but it doesn't.

mrmiller
05-10-2002, 07:51 AM
I about forgot about the Star Trek line- I guess Star Wars is just heavy on the brain right now. I'd have to include The Wrath of Kahn on my list as well.

pthfnder89
05-10-2002, 10:49 AM
Wow, I guess I'm the only one here who has seen Brazil. It's not for everyone, but it definitely belongs on the list, preferably in the Top5. I love that movie!

I'm sorry, I love the Matrix, and I'm totally psyched about the two sequels. But it does NOT belong in the Top 10. What made it interesting was the Special Effects and the Kung Fu. Other than that it really didn't have any impact as heavy thinking SciFi. The plot has been done before (sometimes even better) and the characters are fun, but nothing amazing. I just don't see any reason why it should be in the Top10.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-10-2002, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by pthfnder89
Wow, I guess I'm the only one here who has seen Brazil. It's not for everyone, but it definitely belongs on the list, preferably in the Top5. I love that movie!

I'm sorry, I love the Matrix, and I'm totally psyched about the two sequels. But it does NOT belong in the Top 10. What made it interesting was the Special Effects and the Kung Fu. Other than that it really didn't have any impact as heavy thinking SciFi. The plot has been done before (sometimes even better) and the characters are fun, but nothing amazing. I just don't see any reason why it should be in the Top10.

I've seen Brazil too, but it's been about 13 years. I don't remember a whole lot, just that it was pretty trippy and I thought that whole bureaucracy thing with the paperwork was pretty good and satirical.

I kind of agree with you on the Matrix, though I put it in my top 10 of sci-fi. It was good in that it developed new FX technology, but not mindblowing like some people make it out to be. Good story, good plot, but it's below Aliens as far as thrills or suspense goes.