PDA

View Full Version : Mace Windu (G. Rescue) and Jango Fett (Final Battle) Review - Please NO SPOILERS...

Lman316
05-08-2002, 05:26 PM
I would ask that anyone responding to this thread to LEAVE OUT any spoilers - even though it's an odd request (some of you may know what I'm talking about), I'm not going to mention it, so please don't either (I'm trying to save others from having to know).

I just found these two today and I was very happy to get them. That was until I actually opened them up.

Mace Windu (Geonosian Rescue):

The sculpt on this figure is very nice. The likeness is great (even though I'm not too keen on the closed eyes and yelling expression).
The pose itself isn't too bad, it's slightly more neutral - not as bad as a lot we've seen so far. But what makes it [the pose] bad is the gimmick. Mace's right arm is jointed so that it swings when you push a button on the back. The way the hand on his right arm is molded, you can't really have Mace holding on to his lightsaber with two hands. The hands don't line up and you have to shift the lightsaber in order to give it the appearance that's he's got a firm grip. If this figure could have just had 2 more points of articulation (the wrists), it would be MUCH better. I mean, the left arm is sculpted bent, like he would be trying to hold the saber with both hands. But it just isn't going to happen.
Now, the gimmick is bad, IMO. This just reminds me of those awful Episode 1 deluxe Obi-Wan's, Qui-Gon's and Darth Maul's. He just swings back and forth. And on top of that, if you just have Mace holding on to the saber with just that one hand, the saber will go flying after pressing the button a couple of times.
The magnet in the hand is just as weak as the deluxe Mace.
In my opinion, this figure is alright. It just wasn't what I was expecting.

Jango Fett (Final Battle):

Now, actually this figure I was pleasantly surprised with. This figure has tons of articulation, 11 points to be exact (head, arms, right bicep, wrists, waist, legs and knees). 12 points if you count the view finder at the top of the helmet.
With the added articulation, you can put him in slightly different poses, although just having him stand there, he's somewhat limited (the legs are sculpted in Jango's one leg bent one leg straight back. So he can't stand up unless he's in that pose, unless you use a stand, like I did).
And the fireball is pretty cool - I mean, to have it included, his left arm has to be straight, but it's not so bad. It's not as obvious as others if you don't have the projectile in there - like the deluxe Mace with the hole in the sleeve.
So, this figure is definitely (IMO) better than the Mace. You could get a lot more play value out of this one than with Windu. BUT, for those of you trying to avoid spoilers, PLEASE DON'T open this figure until you've seen the movie. I made that mistake. I won't mention what it is (that's why I asked for NO SPOILERS), but if you find this figure, just refrain from opening it for a little while. :D I'll try to save ya the trouble.

mark2d2
05-09-2002, 04:32 AM
How's the gimmick on the Jango? I don't mean the Spoiler issue --- but doesn't he have like a wrist firing projectile or something? Or is this the fireball thing you mention? I don't know much about this figure. (Other than I totally want it as I'm in love with my Kamino Escape one . . .) Also, did you notice the difference in the backpacks? What about the holsters? Are they "workable" like the one's on his Kamino counterpart?

Lman316
05-09-2002, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by mark2d2
How's the gimmick on the Jango? I don't mean the Spoiler issue --- but doesn't he have like a wrist firing projectile or something? Or is this the fireball thing you mention?

Yeah, It's the fireball that I mentioned. It's like the deluxe Mace Windu's "Force effect". You pull it through one of his arms and you launch it. It's really not so bad - it doesn't launch very far or anything, and the projectile seems to be VERY brittle, but it's kinda cool.

Originally posted by mark2d2
I don't know much about this figure. (Other than I totally want it as I'm in love with my Kamino Escape one . . .) Also, did you notice the difference in the backpacks? What about the holsters? Are they "workable" like the one's on his Kamino counterpart?

The backpack is different. It's a smaller (more accurate) version of the deluxe Jango's.
The holsters are NOT workable and they're really small in comparison to Kamino Escape.
But I guess you're going to have trade offs with something like this. Added articulation over the holsters, I guess.

If I get around to it, I'll get some pictures of both of these.

Ryo826
05-11-2002, 07:21 PM
Could you please post some pics of that Jango?

DeadEye
05-12-2002, 09:35 AM
The Jango I have, but I can't find Mace anywhere. Jango's magnet is fairly strong--it's not nearly as weak as HD Anakin's.

(Spoilers edited out by moderator staff - please respect "No Spoiler" requests more carefully)

Lman316
05-12-2002, 02:56 PM
I would ask that anyone responding to this thread to LEAVE OUT any spoilers - even though it's an odd request (some of you may know what I'm talking about), I'm not going to mention it, so please don't either (I'm trying to save others from having to know).

DeadEye, c'mon...

You know, this isn't even the Saga section, so technically, spoilers are not allowed anyway. But just to be safe, I ask that no spoilers be posted - even though I knew what was up with the figure, others might not have. I'm trying to give a non-spoiler review of the Jango, which I did. There was no need to give it away like that.
Yeah, I know...it's only 4 days away (until the movie). But still, that leaves 3 days for someone to find this figure.....

I think there needs to be some better enforcement of the "no spoilers rule" for these other sections. The Poll section, the Saga section (before they were mixed) and now here.....cripes.
:mad:

JediTricks
05-13-2002, 12:17 AM
Sorry about that Lman, if you have any ideas as to how to get this to work better, PM me.

pthfnder89
05-15-2002, 08:03 PM
Re: Geonosian Rescue Mace. It seems to be the natural opinion for most people I've heard that the Rescue Mace looks great in the package but once you open but as soon as you open him his flaws really kick in.

This is definitely true for me. I really really like the Deluxe Mace, but I was looking forward to the Basic version. So I picked one up, along with FB Jango, and opened him. His floppy arm REALLY kicks in once he comes out of the package. And as LMAN316 noted his left arm is bent WAY over toward his right side, so that he could *almost* hold his saber with both hands. But he can't. I really don't know why they bent his arm like that, but didn't sculpt him with so that he could hold his saber two handed. It's not like that arm does much else. :(

Anyway what I really wanted to say was that despite all this, he grew on me real fast. And strangely enough, it's because of his gimmick. I just REALLY REALLY have fun swinging his lightsaber around :D And it's particularly fun to use it with certain other figures. (vagueness in respect to not providing spoilers) So I would recommend him to anyone who has fun with the lightsaber slahing gimmicks on other Jedi figures, but anyone who wants to stand him in a diorama and not touch hiim, you'd probably be better off with the Deluxe Mace, or even one from the Ep1 line. :)

Beast
05-15-2002, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by pthfnder89
And as LMAN316 noted his left arm is bent WAY over toward his right side, so that he could *almost* hold his saber with both hands. But he can't. I really don't know why they bent his arm like that, but didn't sculpt him with so that he could hold his saber two handed. It's not like that arm does much else. :(
He can hold his saber with 2 hands, picture proof can be seen right in the following attachment. Sure, it doesn't look quite as good as some of the other figures holding a saber with 2 hands, but it's ok. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

pthfnder89
05-16-2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

He can hold his saber with 2 hands, picture proof can be seen right in the following attachment. Sure, it doesn't look quite as good as some of the other figures holding a saber with 2 hands, but it's ok. :)

Ok, fair enough. But I still think that with a little wrist articulation on the left arm, it would look much better.