PDA

View Full Version : X-Wing Alliance

Rogue II
05-08-2002, 05:48 PM
Is X-Wing Alliance worth getting? I see it on the racks for $10 now. It looked like a suped up version of X-Wing, so I have passed on it in the past.

DeadEye
05-09-2002, 07:42 PM
I actually like Rogue Squadron much better.

Rogue II
05-10-2002, 07:07 AM
Yeah, I played Rogue Squadron. It was pretty cool. I just saw Rebel Alliance at Best Buy or somewhere and was wondering about it.

DeadEye
05-10-2002, 04:21 PM
If you enjoy Star Wars flight sims, then give XWA a whirl. I enjoyed Rogue Squadron because it's more action-packed and simple, but XWA is complex, large, and 48 levels. But you DO get to fight in the Battle of Endor and fly the Millenium Falcon into the second Death Star. That's a plus. :D

pthfnder89
05-13-2002, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by DeadEye
If you enjoy Star Wars flight sims, then give XWA a whirl. I enjoyed Rogue Squadron because it's more action-packed and simple, but XWA is complex, large, and 48 levels. But you DO get to fight in the Battle of Endor and fly the Millenium Falcon into the second Death Star. That's a plus. :D

I thought X-wing Alliance was is truly the very best of the X-wing/Tie Fighter series. It has a great story and you really feel like you're part of the game. In most flight sims, you fly a mission, then the story moves forward, then you fly another mission, etc. The story isn't necessary to the game, it's just an excuse to fly. But in Alliance, the story takes place DURING the missions, and when someone betrays you or an Imperial Star Destroyer shows up unexpectedly, it really surprises you. I beat the game years ago when it first came out and I still play it.:)

Plus, if you buy the game and you have a fast computer, go over to www.xwaupgrade.com. They have a project going where they are replacing the models in the game, with newer more accurate ones. It makes the system requirements increase quite a bit, but the ships look IINCREDIBLE.

Rogue II
05-13-2002, 01:14 PM
Cool, thanks. Do you use a joystick to play or do you just use the mouse/keyboard? I have a playstation style joystick, but I never use it, even when I played Rogue Squadron and X-wing.

DeadEye
05-13-2002, 03:32 PM
You can use whatever controls you want. Joysticks are always best, though.

And those xwaupgrade shots look awesome. I'm sure my GeForce3 can handle it.:D

pthfnder89
05-14-2002, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Rogue II
Cool, thanks. Do you use a joystick to play or do you just use the mouse/keyboard? I have a playstation style joystick, but I never use it, even when I played Rogue Squadron and X-wing.

Yeah, for a flight sim like Xwing Alliance, a joystick is always the best. Preferably one with lots of configurable buttons. That makes it much easier to change power settings, weapons, speed, etc... which you have to do all the time in the game.

I have a Saitek stick that I love.:) And it's pretty cheap too.

Rogue II
05-16-2002, 09:44 AM
Well, I just bought the game. Its pretty cool so far. I quit last night after I got frustrated with a mission where your sister plants the spice at the spacestation and you and a Slave I type ship have to attack. I survived with no problem, just can't figure out how to win. I'll figure it out sooner or later.

I've been playing it with my cheap playstation style game pad. I saw the Saitek joysticks at walmart, and they were cheap compared to the Microsoft ones sitting next to them. I think I might be going back and getting that Saitek.