PDA

View Full Version : Press Screening

stillakid
05-08-2002, 09:43 PM
There was a press screening up at the Ranch yesterday. My "source," who like the rest of us hated TPM, really liked AOTC. So, for whatever that's worth...

2-1B
05-08-2002, 10:02 PM
Good to hear!

A general observation by me on recent screenings and subsequent reviews:

Today I read a review that claimed the first half of the movie lagged but then picks up in the second half. Immediately following that review, I read one that claimed the exact opposite -the movie opens well but lags starting in the second half. :rolleyes:

And the ultimate "split decision" : Mancow loved it but Howard Stern didn't like it. :rolleyes:

bigbarada
05-09-2002, 05:01 AM
Originally posted by stillakid
who like the rest of us hated TPM

"Us?" You got a frog in your pocket? :p

Speak for yourself, I loved TPM. Bad acting, lagging storyline and all.

I am glad that your friend liked it.

2-1B
05-09-2002, 12:33 PM
Ribbit Ribbit :D

stillakid, your source must be able to rationalize away much of the movie, 'cause it ain't getting many good reviews. :p

stillakid
05-09-2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
Ribbit Ribbit :D

stillakid, your source must be able to rationalize away much of the movie, 'cause it ain't getting many good reviews. :p

I didn't ask too many questions as I don't want the story spoiled for me, but this guy is pretty cynical when it comes to films. He watches, well, all of them as part of his job as a reviewer. Now, I know that he hasn't looked at the SW films quite with the microscope that many of us here have, so I interpret his take on AOTC in a more general sense that it is much better than TPM. Specifically, I'll never be happy with Midi's, the Swiss Family Fett, or Qui Gon, but it would take an distinct effort to make a worse film than TPM.

2-1B
05-09-2002, 12:45 PM
Swiss Family Fett :D

I was just being sarcastic in light of certain reviews. If someone doesn't like it, that's cool (maybe I won't like it much either, I'll tell you in a week) but when the lady from Entertainment Weekly gives Britney Spears' Crossroads a solid B while rating AOTC as a C+, well I have to be suspicious. :p

Wolfwood319
05-09-2002, 12:52 PM
I don't put too much stock into film reviews, but I think AOTC is going to be good. Being from Chicago, I get Mancow every morning on the radio here, and back in '99, he ripped TPM a new one. He hated it!

So, if he loves AOTC, its gotta be good.:rolleyes:

"Swiss Family Fett," lol

stillakid
05-09-2002, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
Swiss Family Fett :D

I was just being sarcastic in light of certain reviews. If someone doesn't like it, that's cool (maybe I won't like it much either, I'll tell you in a week) but when the lady from Entertainment Weekly gives Britney Spears' Crossroads a solid B while rating AOTC as a C+, well I have to be suspicious. :p

It's important to know where they're coming from in the first place. The keywords that hit me in your post were "lady," Britney," "B." She clearly is prone to liking chick-flicks more than "guy" movies. Heck, I don't care so much for opera, so Carmen would never rate more than a D from my perspective while most of the snotty crowd would drop their crumpets at the suggestion.

I still remain cautiously optimistic, but in the above example of EW, I'd be more apt to believe that her point of view was in question more than the comparison between the two vastly different movies.

Send her a copy of The Piano and tell he to leave the true reviewing to somebody else.