PDA

View Full Version : Revenge!



stillakid
05-09-2002, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Wonderboy
Jasner: I hit the Target in Burbank this morning...there were about 6 Hot Wheels guys there. They totally hit the SW stuff first now before they even head to Hot Wheels...what a bunch of JERKS! As we were waiting for them to open, one of the guys was talking about how much he has been getting for SW toys at some swap meet. I actually spoke up and told him that I thought what he was doing was just crap and he laughed and replied "I'm a business man..." What an idiot...I wanted to leap on his back and chew his ear off.

There have been numerous posts like this over the years and it seems only right that we concoct a nefarious plan to foil the evil schemes of scalper-jerks.

Try this next time you're out. While the evil-ones are hitting the Star Wars aisle first, let them.

Casually head over to the HotWheels section and clear the pegs into a cart or two. Then don't buy them. Just stand there with that passive-aggressive look on your face. It'll work better if you've got back up to ward off their attempts to dip into your cart. But then you've got leverage. Fair trade your entire cart for their ill-gotten figs.

Who's with me!:Pirate:

2-1B
05-09-2002, 12:39 PM
Good idea! Then when they whine about the Hot Wheels in your cart, return the "I'm a business man." ;)

Quid pro quo scalper :Pirate:

Wolfwood319
05-09-2002, 12:48 PM
That seems a little too far, IMO. You can always do what I do though;

Take some figures or cars out of their hands, cart, whatever, and then just tear the cards to hell. Always works for me, and since I'm an opener, I don't care what the card is like.

I remember there was a scalper looking at the hot wheels after he cleaned out a case of POTJ at a Target once. As he was putting the Hot Wheels in his cart, I'd pick them up and bend the hell out of them. He got so ****ed, he almost took a swing at me. I told him I wanted some of those POTJ or I'd continue messing up his cards. Suffice to say, I got the POTJ I wanted.

jedi master sal
05-09-2002, 12:57 PM
Bending or tearing the card 1)is illegal as it is not in your posseion yet, you cold face charges for that, 2)who's to say they won't do that to SW stuff and you'll ruin it for the carded collector. I too am an opener but still if a card is in perfect shape leave it that way. you are only hurting our collecting as well.

I do like the idea of clearing the hot wheels stuff into a cart and then "trading them for what you want from SW, but don't let the employees see you do it or you may get run out of the store! After the HW scalper goes through his stuff he'll probably just leave the cart there and the employees may remember you as being the one who "cleared the shelves".

stillakid
05-09-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
That seems a little too far, IMO. You can always do what I do though;

Take some figures or cars out of their hands, cart, whatever, and then just tear the cards to hell. Always works for me, and since I'm an opener, I don't care what the card is like.

I remember there was a scalper looking at the hot wheels after he cleaned out a case of POTJ at a Target once. As he was putting the Hot Wheels in his cart, I'd pick them up and bend the hell out of them. He got so ****ed, he almost took a swing at me. I told him I wanted some of those POTJ or I'd continue messing up his cards. Suffice to say, I got the POTJ I wanted.


Good solution! Which brings up a slightly quicker method: carry a bottle water with you and "oops," spill it all over his stuff all at once. He'll have to leave with NOTHING and like it.:happy:

Also, I don't know how long they would stay up, but maybe make some simple signs that say "Scalpers Shop Here" to hang at retail stores. Then make some that say "Scalpers Sell Here" with the Star Wars logo on it. Put those up right outside Comic shops or Frank and Sons type places. They'll tear them down of course, but keep hanging them until they threaten your life. Then come back at night.;)

stillakid
05-09-2002, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by jedi master sal
Bending or tearing the card 1)is illegal as it is not in your posseion yet, you cold face charges for that, 2)who's to say they won't do that to SW stuff and you'll ruin it for the carded collector. I too am an opener but still if a card is in perfect shape leave it that way. you are only hurting our collecting as well.

I do like the idea of clearing the hot wheels stuff into a cart and then "trading them for what you want from SW, but don't let the employees see you do it or you may get run out of the store! After the HW scalper goes through his stuff he'll probably just leave the cart there and the employees may remember you as being the one who "cleared the shelves".

The idea is to discourage their practice in the first place. If they are met with heavy rebel resistance for a time, then they might find that it isn't worth the trouble and go find something else to scalp.

Jedi Drew
05-09-2002, 01:37 PM
I'll have to remember that idea of taking the Hot Wheels as they go for the figures. Ask JEDIpartnr about the time we hooked up at a TRU looking for the Jedi Starfighter ( before they were out). We were waiting and low and behold here come two other guys waiting for TRU to open. I said to JEDIpartnr I bet they are "HOT WHEELS" guys. As soon as the doors opened they did the "POWER WALK" right to the Hot Wheels section, not finding anything they started to look at the SW figures. JEDIpartnr asked me how did I know that they were "HOT WHEELS" guys and I said you just KNOW. My wife now say's I should be a cop since I pick out all the non-collectors and Hot Wheels people when we go shopping. Oh well HH:D :D P.S. If you are a Hot Wheels person I'll run you down-you can bet on that.

JEDIpartner
05-09-2002, 01:39 PM
yeah... what HE said! It's all true! Lousy stinking Hot Wheels geeks! :frus: :D

brentfett
05-09-2002, 01:41 PM
As funny as these "solutions" are, it's pretty much impossible to guard the toy aisles of Targets, Wal marts, etc. 24 hours a day. I think the biggest thing is to get people to stop buying the crap at ridiculous prices. Cut off their profit and they will have to move on to something else.

stillakid
05-09-2002, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by brentfett
As funny as these "solutions" are, it's pretty much impossible to guard the toy aisles of Targets, Wal marts, etc. 24 hours a day. I think the biggest thing is to get people to stop buying the crap at ridiculous prices. Cut off their profit and they will have to move on to something else.


Kinda like the drug war, isn't it.:rolleyes:

InsaneJediGirl
05-09-2002, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
Lousy stinking Hot Wheels geeks! :frus: :D

I personally have no problem with the Kid Hot Wheel geeks(my brother is one)..but when you "power walk" to look for something that costs 88 cents(:rolleyes: ) then decide to raid the SW isle and sell them for higher than retail value..that person has major problems!

We could beat them up..but why would one want to waste their time?:D

pthfnder89
05-09-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by stillakid

Kinda like the drug war, isn't it.:rolleyes:

I'm afraid that's true. They care about money, PERIOD. If they couldn't make any money from it, they could care less about the Star Wars figures. But there is always someone who won't wait for a new figure to be released, and is willing to pay 200-300% markup on it to have it right now.

So unfortunately, scalpers will always be around while people are willing to pay them. Anyone who buys from a scalper is the one keeping them in buisness.

It's actually kind of funny how circular it is.

Collectors buy from them because they can't find figures at retail, because Scalpers buy them all, because collectors pay big markups, because collectors can't find them at retail, because Scalpers buy them all...:crazed: :crazed:

leenovak
05-09-2002, 02:46 PM
At last we will reveal ourselves to the scalpers, at last we will have revenge.

fourtwo
05-09-2002, 03:03 PM
haha
this is a great thread

2-1B
05-09-2002, 03:04 PM
A local hardware type store chain has a "toyland" every holiday season, and I quit going a few years ago. It was cool to get some fresh Star Wars items off the pegs when they opened at 7am, but I just couldn't deal with the Power Walkers anymore. Well, it's more of a Power RUN in this case as people took off on a full sprint. I myself will not run, as it's a store and I'd like to be somewhat respectful. But I can say that every time I went, even though I walked to the aisle I never missed out on anything SW related because all of the runners headed straight for the Hot Wheels. :happy:

Mandalorian Candidat
05-09-2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Drew
I'll have to remember that idea of taking the Hot Wheels as they go for the figures. Ask JEDIpartnr about the time we hooked up at a TRU looking for the Jedi Starfighter ( before they were out). We were waiting and low and behold here come two other guys waiting for TRU to open. I said to JEDIpartnr I bet they are "HOT WHEELS" guys. As soon as the doors opened they did the "POWER WALK" right to the Hot Wheels section, not finding anything they started to look at the SW figures. JEDIpartnr asked me how did I know that they were "HOT WHEELS" guys and I said you just KNOW. My wife now say's I should be a cop since I pick out all the non-collectors and Hot Wheels people when we go shopping. Oh well HH:D :D P.S. If you are a Hot Wheels person I'll run you down-you can bet on that.

Not to burst your bubble or anything JD, but I don't think it's that hard to pick out the Hot Wheels guys. They usually have a mullet, a trailer park parking sticker on their windshield, and wear a blue mechanics shirt with an oval name patch sewn over the left pocket. :D

Since moving from SoCal to Utah I haven't seen as many HW people. I know there are a couple out there, but not as many as in Cali. They would usually rifle through the racks and then after finding nothing come and see what the SW collectors were up to. More than once they would just look and laugh. Bunch of damn hypocrites! You're doing the same thing we're doing!

For once I would just love to find a Treasure Hunt on the pegs and dangle it in front of them before opening it up right there in the store.

CooLJoE
05-09-2002, 03:53 PM
leenovak - OMG! I almost wet my pants when I read that! I busted out laughing at work.

Personally if some dork said he was going to sell the crap on ebay or whatever I would either deck him (if I had a friend or 2 with me) or I would just rifle through any spot that he's at and make it hard for him to find what he wants.

Or try this. Tell them what is hot and what is not. But obviously tell them the wrong information. Like say that C3PO is a hot ticket and so is Padme. Its funny how easily they are convinced and how gullable they are.

Wolfwood319
05-09-2002, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by jedi master sal
Bending or tearing the card 1)is illegal as it is not in your posseion yet, you cold face charges for that, 2)who's to say they won't do that to SW stuff and you'll ruin it for the carded collector. I too am an opener but still if a card is in perfect shape leave it that way. you are only hurting our collecting as well.


There is nothing illegal about bending cards, as I'm not opening the packaging. Its no more illegal then opening up a toaster box to see the toaster inside. A friend of mine works at a Target, and sometimes he bends the cards, just so to discourage scalpers. The cards get banged up on the shelf anyway, over time.

I'd like to think that the "carded collectors" would rather have a messed up card on the shelf, then some mint card in the hands of a scalper.

I have no problem with "Hot Wheels guys," but I do have a problem with scalpers, and round my area I know who's who.

jedi master sal
05-09-2002, 04:50 PM
Okay think about it this way. You DAMAGE a card and some of the consumers don't shop there anymore because that's all they find (this is not just scalpers but our fellow brethren who collect MOMC) but I do say that it is illegal in that your are damaging store property. Until you pay for it don't mess it up. As to openeing a box that has a toaster 1) they don't have the same "value as collectable toys and 2) sometimes they need to see inside the box before they buy. with SW you pretty much know what's inside and with figures you can plainly see them. So, do a favor to your fellow collectors and don't bend. Again i'm an opener as well but we should still ttry to be fair to the others even if it means scalpers will get their dirty, gruby little hands on them.

icatch9
05-09-2002, 05:05 PM
I have a huge problem with this whole thread. First of all my father collects Hot Wheels and he is nothing like the slack jawed yocal you guys find funny. I donít think people who live in glass housed should throw stones. The image most people have about star wars fans and collectors is not to good. I help my father with collecting hot wheels as he helps me with Star Wars. I am very well versed in Hot Wheels as a hobby and it seems that many of you are not. I agree that some people who collect HW do the power walk and even run when a store opens. We have witnessed this, but never have done it. Those types do give us a bad name. You insult those who run for a toy that costs $0.88. Well tens of thousands of people lined up at TRU in the middle of the night to spend a bunch of money on star wars toys. So what do you say to that?

Scalpers are bad in any field, but they are tolerated in the Hot Wheels world. Not even a straight up collector is going to leave a valuable or rare car on the peg for another collector to find. Itís just ludicrous to think of even doing that. Most HW arnít worth the dollar or so that cost, but there are the select few that are. So before you go snagging all the worthless HW in an attempt to trade a scalper make sure you know what your doing.

As for bending the cards and others actions I find it lame that you would do such a thing. Just confront the person and if that doesnít work then complain to the manager. Most stores have rules for such hording, but they are rarely enforced. So, try it and see what happens. I wouldnít want to mess with any scalper by bending his cards and ****ing him off. Some people take this very seriously especially since money is involved. You wouldnít go and steal money from a drug dealer given the chance would you? . You never know who you are going to **** off, and you donít want to mess with the wrong people. Itís not worth getting lynched or worse.

leenovak
05-09-2002, 05:18 PM
"...getting lynched or worse."


Sheesh, what's worse? I consider being lynched to be a pretty bad day.

icatch9
05-09-2002, 05:46 PM
Have you ever seen the un-edited version of "The Shawshank Redemption"? Enough said.

therock0603
05-09-2002, 07:22 PM
Heck yeah. If they want a swap meet, then that's what they'll get. Hold all their precious Hot Wheels hostage until they give up the figures they plan to scalp. Simple trading. Like they want.

2-1B
05-09-2002, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by icatch9
Well tens of thousands of people lined up at TRU in the middle of the night to spend a bunch of money on star wars toys. So what do you say to that?

Depends - If they are running to the figure aisles, I say they are silly! :crazed:
If they're just hanging out and being civil, that's cool. :cool:

You shouldn't be so offended by this thread. Myself, I talked about a specific experience that I and I alone had.
TRU MM 99, there were plenty of power walkers/runners thru the door, and I think they're as silly as the HW guys who do the same.

:)

Forhekset
05-09-2002, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by icatch9
he is nothing like the slack jawed yocal you guys find funny.

Some folk'll never lose a toe, but then again some folk'll, like Cletus, the slack-jawed yokel.

Sorry, couldn't resist. No offense intended. I can't say that I've ever seen anyone powerwalk, much less run to a toy aisle but then I'm never there waiting for the store to open. I imagine it looks rather hilarious though. I have this vision in my mind of a herd of comic book guysô thundering through Target for the toy section.

At any rate I'll be damned if I'm going to sprint through a place of business just to get first dibs on some toys. This thread is silly :p

Mandalorian Candidat
05-09-2002, 10:58 PM
icatch, we're talking about those twerps that are there every morning right when the store opens and bolt for the HW (or even SW) aisle as soon as the door is unlocked. Just as with SW, those people who hover around the stores all the time and have to grab up every last item with a modicum of secondary market value are a thorn in our collective side. Since all collectors seem to be looked down upon equally by all others, of course we're going to poke fun at them!

As far as scalping goes with HW, if they want to do that to each other then fine. As soon as it boils over to the SW aisle, I'm cracking skulls.

aikman
05-10-2002, 12:35 AM
They are toys.
Dont run down the aisles, you are better than that.
If they want them so much, let them run , push , live inside the toy aisle. You know who they are, just dont buy from them.

How many 'hard to get' items are still expensive?

Mynock hunts? Ebay 15-
Excl Skiff? Ebay 34-
People just arent nuts about them like they were.

Mr sacul may eventually end up here in the 20-30 range as will Toyfair vader most likely, it may take a while but they will show.
Just ask yourself is it really worth it (money/aggrivation) to get it now?

QLD
05-10-2002, 01:13 AM
I just don't understand how people can get so worked up over this stuff. I use this hobby as a release, and to actually consider assault or risking physical confrontation for a toy seems totally ludicrous to me.

icatch9
05-10-2002, 03:39 PM
Some people don't see it as a release. To some people it's all about the $$$. To some it's about both. We'd like this stuff if it wasn't worth anything, but others wouldn't care. It is a delicate balance. One I do not want to toy with. Take away all scalpers and the collectable toy world would never recover. It is very similar to the stock market. You wouldn't want to take any one aspect away from that now would you?

Bel-Cam Jos
05-10-2002, 07:30 PM
By icatch9:
Not even a straight up collector is going to leave a valuable or rare car on the peg for another collector to find. Itís just ludicrous to think of even doing that.
I do that all the time. I'm looking for what I'm looking for, not to hoard all the HTF toys.

The line about it being like a drug war is maybe more like the Middle East crisis (well, maybe not THAT severe). Someone does something to someone, who in turn, gets back at that someone. Then it repeats over and over. It becomes a vicious cycle. Don't start something that'll come back to haunt you later. Just get mad and get over it.

RooJay
05-10-2002, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
Try this next time you're out. While the evil-ones are hitting the Star Wars aisle first, let them.

Casually head over to the HotWheels section and clear the pegs into a cart or two. Then don't buy them. Just stand there with that passive-aggressive look on your face. It'll work better if you've got back up to ward off their attempts to dip into your cart. But then you've got leverage. Fair trade your entire cart for their ill-gotten figs.

Who's with me!:Pirate:
I LOVE it!:evil: