PDA

View Full Version : Wal-Mart and their damn bins full of figures

OriginalBryGuy
05-09-2002, 02:32 PM
Is it just me or does anyone have a love/hate relationship with Wal-Mart for two reasons:

1. They always seem to have the most and decent number of new figures, however they:

2. Throw all these figures haphazardly in metal gate bins 4 foot high crushing figures and making it a pain in the *** to find stuff.

What's with that?

2-1B
05-09-2002, 02:45 PM
Wow, I've never seen a WM do that. TRU is notorious for it around here though . . .

brentfett
05-09-2002, 02:46 PM
Same here. All the Wal Marts I've seen do not have bins, that's a Toys R Us thing.

mark2d2
05-09-2002, 03:07 PM
In Los Angeles, we only encounter this "problem" @ Toys R Us. Frankly, it's hard to find figs either way. The pegs are always way too close together . . .

OriginalBryGuy
05-09-2002, 03:30 PM
I guess I should clarify.

In the Wal-Marts in and around indianapolis, there is at least one isle dedicated to the new AOTC figures.

Last night I went in and was stoked there were some new ones (Boba Fett, and Royal Guard) however, instead of being on the pegs, these new figures were all thrown into 4ft high metal gate bins.

Granted, they seem to do this at Toys R' Us alot...here too. The Wal-Marts usually do this with their extra run off.

But, for all stores, how about those stock boys and girls? Wouldn't it be nice if all the figures on one peg were the same! Wow, what a dream that would be. ;)

icatch9
05-09-2002, 03:30 PM
I agree. It's reffered to as the "Bin of Doom" in the Hot Wheels world. These bins are good for them, and bad for us (well sort of). See Wal Mart could givea**** about the condition of thier figures. As long as they don't look like crap they don't care. A crease hear or a ding there is no big deal to them. Plus it allows them to just dump a new shipment in it and that allows them to get more product on the showroom floor. It is bad for mint on card collectors for the obvious reasons, but it is good sometimes becasue the more figures out the better chance of finding something good.

I've gone through these bins befor, recently and in years past. I have found that there is never anything good at the bottom. If it was good it was found and bought when It was on top. I just shuffle through the top layer and go one to the next section of toys.

I would vote to get rid of them, but I don't see WM asking us anytime soon.

BanthaPoodoo
05-09-2002, 04:05 PM
Same here at the Super WM in Meridian, MS. There is an aisle of figures & a little ways down is a huge bin with figures just dumped in em. I didnt look through it though (not really in the mood to go diggin for stuff) If it aint on the peg, I dont need it :):):):):):):)

LTBasker
05-09-2002, 04:24 PM
Neither Wal-Mart or TRU do that here unless it's just extra stuff that doesn't have peg space like when TRU was doing their clearances.

Jonna
05-09-2002, 04:39 PM
None of the Walmarts in NJ, that I have been to, do that, but all of the TRUs seem to.

InsaneJediGirl
05-09-2002, 05:48 PM
I had that happen to me at a TRU,but it was just a bunch of action figures on clearance thrown in a bin.WMs around here never put toys in bins..I guess because it would mean more work for them(Kids digging through bins and getting stuff on the floor)

Forhekset
05-09-2002, 10:00 PM
Same here InsaneJediGirl. Never seen that at Wal-Mart, only at TRU. And at TRU it's only really old stuff that's on sale for like $2 apiece or something.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-09-2002, 10:33 PM
Yeah, I don't like it either cause the cards get tweaked. I don't mind as much with the clearance stuff since I usually get those just to open.

Have you ever noticed that there's usually one or two people digging voraciously (word of the day) through the pile and one of them has a cart and is just dumping the sloppy seconds in it. I hate those cause it's too hard to look for more than a couple people at a time. I'll take a wall full of pegs anytime!

JEDIpartner
05-10-2002, 08:46 AM
The only place I've seen that is at the local Super K. They had these HUGE wooden crates that looked like they were used to ship riding mowers in! The figures were buried deep and wide. Bad merchandising idea.

Darth Nihilus
05-10-2002, 09:55 AM
The two Bespin Vaders I picked up today had curls on the right hand side of their cards and they came off pegs. That was a little annoying.

OriginalBryGuy
05-10-2002, 12:11 PM
Why does Bespin Vader have his hand open when the picture shows it closed. haha..I think that's pretty wild man...wild..haha

Jaina Solo
05-10-2002, 12:50 PM
This is sort of off-topic, but sometimes when I'm really bored in the stores I feel like sorting all the figs. Obi-Wans on this peg, Padmes on that one... Has anyone ever actually done this? Did it annoy the store employees?

Dar' Argol
05-10-2002, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by OriginalBryGuy
But, for all stores, how about those stock boys and girls? Wouldn't it be nice if all the figures on one peg were the same! Wow, what a dream that would be.

That's what we did for the 4/23 relase at our store.

And the "Dump Tables" you are reffering to, I have never seen or heard of any store doing this, but a lot of stores do stupid things:stupid:. I understand your frustration completely, as my local TRU does the same thing. But the WM I work in has never put figs in a dump table.

And icatch9, watch your language. I edited your post and took out the offensive word. This is an all ages site, try to be more careful:rolleyes:.

RooJay
05-10-2002, 06:44 PM
I love seeing bins of action figures. Makes me want to dive right in! To me the packaging is just that, a container used to ship the figure in good condition. Even if I had a Celebration 2 exclusive figure, the current Holy Grail of Star Wars collecting, I'd tear that sucker open in a heart beat! I've made some pretty great finds in those bins! For some reason, even though certain figures might be ultra rare I can often manage to find one in a bin somewhere that some crazy collector or other passed up because of a ding in the cardboard! Thanks to collectors like that!:D

OriginalBryGuy
05-13-2002, 02:12 PM
Me and two other friends helped a Wal-Mart clerk put figures up on the rack...that's about the most we did, but yes, we did try to put the same figure on one peg...makes it easier for everyone I think. haha.

Forhekset
05-13-2002, 03:34 PM
That would be nice, having one peg for each figure, but they'd still get mixed up in the long run, with people putting stuff back on the wrong pegs, trying to hide a Dooku behind 5 Captain Typhos...etc.

LTBasker
05-13-2002, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by OriginalBryGuy
Me and two other friends helped a Wal-Mart clerk put figures up on the rack...that's about the most we did, but yes, we did try to put the same figure on one peg...makes it easier for everyone I think. haha.

Yeah, unfortunately including scalpers, they see a whole peg is dedicated to a HTF very wanted figure, they'll just reach back behind the last one and slide the whole peg's worth into the basket. :mad:

Tycho
05-13-2002, 05:23 PM
Jaina Solo: My Toys R Us stocks that way!

It's really cool, too. We have a very dedicated toy manager who keeps the figures all the same on each peg and makes cases of the same figures to keep his back-stock organized. That way he knows which individual ones to stock so everyone can get all 27 figures. (they haven't gotten the latest 4 to 8 available at some Wal*Marts recently).

At MM, they put all the same figures in shopping carts and the line walked through and were handed 2 of each type with the option of either refusing a figure, or getting back in line after you had everything, to get multiples or army builders. I got 15 Geonosian Warriors that way, and there was still a basket full of them when I cut myself off. They also still have at least 2 pegs full of this army builder in stock now. THAT is the way to market these figures.

I watch people come in to my TRU with checklists. They are done with everything they came in to shop for as fast as a Tusken Raider can do a hit-and-run!

OriginalBryGuy
05-15-2002, 11:14 AM
You can't exclude people from buying figures (scalpers or not). It's just pointless to try.

NRPeace
05-15-2002, 08:36 PM
Usually when I'm confronted with big bins (or a lot of pegs, for that matter), I just look near the top. Most of these have already been picked through, so the new shipments will be dumped on top. Same thing with pegs. The new stuff will be near the front. I also try and look for other items in the same case as the figures I'm looking for. The only time this method gets really messed up is when they decide to move the whole display.

Les S
05-16-2002, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by Jaina Solo
This is sort of off-topic, but sometimes when I'm really bored in the stores I feel like sorting all the figs. Obi-Wans on this peg, Padmes on that one... Has anyone ever actually done this? Did it annoy the store employees?

Yep, I've done this a few times. The Toy maganger gets a kick out of it and the last few times have brought out cases of new figures to go up as I make room for them. Still haven't 'opened' a Dooku case but was able to get m Bespin wave fresh from the case.
Les S.