PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro spoils Episode II (Merged Thread)

aikman
05-09-2002, 03:49 PM
Why do u think that hasbro released some 'very huge' plot points and spoilers in their new figures 1 month before release?

There are 2 certain figures that are MAJOR SPOILERS.

Once I opened them I realized it was too late. Im sure they could have waited on the release of these figs till after the movie started at least.

Way to go hasbro.

Sure the movie isnt ruined but they could have at least hid these better.

Might as well released a talking esb vader that sayus he is lukes father

Beast
05-09-2002, 03:58 PM
Remeber, there was only supposed to be 14 figures out originally on April 23rd. The rest were to come with the release of the movie. Hasbro decided to get more figures out on the pegs to give us the fans a better selection.

Besides on April 23rd you had the release of the novel, comics, books, visual dictionary, CCG, and movie cards that are full of spoilers. I for one am glad they did most of the spoiler figures right off the bat, since that saves atleast one resculpt to add the feature in later. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

aikman
05-09-2002, 04:02 PM
If im reading the novel to star wars i expect to get it spoiled,
if im opening the figures im expecting to get thier appearance spoiled but not parts of thier anatomy

RE:
the release of the novel, comics, books, visual dictionary, CCG, and movie cards that are full of spoilers. I for one am glad they did most of the spoiler figures right off the bat, since that saves atleast one resculpt to add the feature in later.

DarthMushy
05-09-2002, 04:11 PM
Hmmmm...

I always figured that if you go buying lots of movie merchandise, then you'll probably learn things about the movie.

If you don't want to know, then wait until after the movie comes out.

aikman
05-09-2002, 04:16 PM
Of course you will learn things about the movie, but I dont want to find out MAJOR things .

Maybe im wrong but these seem major to me.

But I also had a problem with menace pre release CD that titled a track 'death to qui gon' .
Seems like something that would be easy enough to hide 'change the name, or black it out (remember the ewoks)'

OriginalBryGuy
05-09-2002, 04:33 PM
Well, you have to remember, these ARE EPISODE II figures....if you open them up then you have to know you're going to figure out plot points...You could always just not open them or even buy any until the movie comes out ya know.

RooJay
05-09-2002, 04:34 PM
I really would hesitate to call any secrets given away by the figures "MAJOR" spoilers. In the case of the Anakin figure in particular, we already know what's going to happen to him (unless of course there are still a few people out there that don't know he becomes Vader:rolleyes: )! If there was an Obi Wan figure that can tie his shoe would you feel spoiled about the shoe tying scene? Do you feel spoiled by the trailers revealing that Anakin changes his clothes at some point during the movie? Did the trailers spoil it for anybody by revealing that there were Clones in the movie? THAT is a MAJOR spoiler! It's key to the plot. None of the secrets given up by any of the figures is key to the plot.

aikman
05-09-2002, 04:36 PM
Ok, judging by that logic Is there anything wrong with them releasing the split apart maul fig 1 month before the movie?
I say yes there is (which they didnt do by the way)

Beast
05-09-2002, 04:48 PM
You keep saying that, but you forget that as I said before, there was only 14 figures planned for the 23rd. The ones with the so called "big spoilers" are in later cases.

Jango Fett: Final Battle is showing up earlier then was expected, that case wasn't expected to start popping up until after the movie had opened. He's the only figure that has anything I would consider a major sppoiler.

You can live thru what happens to Zam and Anakin in the movie, so a removable limb on a figure isn't that big of a deal. Heck, you can see Zam get it cut off in the darn trailers. As for what happens to Jango, and the play feature on his figure. Well, that is a little more permanent. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

OriginalBryGuy
05-09-2002, 04:50 PM
Think about how hard figures would be to find if they released them after the movie. They would be even tougher to find. If they released two different versions of the same figure (one with the spoiler, and one with out) then you have another figure to buy. It would get silly pretty quick.

I see your points, but I would say if you want to avoid spoilers just don't play with the figures till you see the movie. You just commented about the split apart Maul...didn't you think HASBRO would release the same type of figures for Episode II?

Trust me....it will be the same for Episode III.

RooJay
05-09-2002, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by aikman
Ok, judging by that logic Is there anything wrong with them releasing the split apart maul fig 1 month before the movie?
I say yes there is (which they didnt do by the way)
Yes. Yes, I would say that, in a sense, that would've been wrong of them. However, that is simply because most of us didn't know Maul would die in TPM or how he would go. We ALL know that Anakin loses a limb at some point. It's still not a major plot point, or even a minor one in the context of AOTC for that matter.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-09-2002, 06:36 PM
In comparing the EP1 line with this one, I can't think of one thing that was a spoiler on any of the cards. They even had movie lines on them but the plot nor any significant portion of it was given away. I'm diappointed about learning stuff about Ani and Zam before the movie came out. I specifically avoided all spoilers this time around because I really wanted to be surprised.

I still hope there's plenty of other stuff still secret until next Sat. rolls around.

aikman
05-09-2002, 10:12 PM
Well actually they have already released ,multiples
2 zams , preview and spoiler versions
multiple anakins, peasant and spoiler versions

Im just saying they should be more mindfull of what is out there.
Although I know some of the movie , i watch out for and avoid spoilers when I can (sometimes a tough thing to do on a SW board).
<spoilers>
In a perfect world I wouldnt know yoda fights but I do
(i accidently read on a webpage-but avoided the video)

and in a perfect world I wouldnt know anakin loses a limb but
thanks to a bad release date I do now....

ya know that Han in carbonite didnt come out before ESB came out!

JEDI_REDEEMER
05-10-2002, 05:35 PM
I agree...I was ****ed when I opened my jango fb I had worked hard to miss that spoiler...now we just have to imagine who does the deed and if they put it on a silver platter.

RooJay
05-10-2002, 05:41 PM
You bought Jango FINAL BATTLE even though you were trying to avoid spoilers?! Wouldn't the Kamino Jango have sufficed? I don't really think Jango Final Battle should've been an issue since he wasn't supposed to have shown up yet.

InsaneJediGirl
05-10-2002, 06:20 PM
and in a perfect world I wouldnt know anakin loses a limb but
thanks to a bad release date I do now....
!

Actually,if you ever have watched ROTJ,you know Anakin looses a limb at some point.What point would be better than AOTC:D

I have no problem with the spoilers..if you do,just dont open the figures till after you see the movie:D :D

Dak Powers
05-10-2002, 06:34 PM
Aikman, are you ever happy with anything? On the short time I've been on this board, it seems like all you do is whine, whine, whine... I'd be thankful that they're even making stuff for it.

aikman
05-11-2002, 07:36 PM
Dak, go away, youre probably a hoarder anyway

bigbarada
05-11-2002, 07:49 PM
Alright let's play nice.

I'm glad the spoiler-features on the figures are getting released now, otherwise we would have to buy new versions of them just to get those features. Hopefully Hasbro has gotten the gimmicks out of their system and the next figures coming down the pipe will have less in the way of action features and more in the way of play value.

The only spoilers Hasbro could have held back on were the ones printed on the backs of the cards. Some of those were major spoilers, that affect the entire saga. Especially Jar Jar, why not just say that he is now a representative of Naboo? No reason to give out as much info as they did.

LTBasker
05-11-2002, 08:11 PM
It's a given Hasbro's never been that good with coming up with bios on odd characters - Why read the back of the card? If you don't want to see what it says but might get drawn to it while glancing at the figures on the back of the card, just cover up the text with your hand while looking at the figures.

You may also want to keep alot of figures in the packages as just the descriptions do give away scene parts and such, like with the Final Battle Jango, it should've been obvious that there would be spoiler features on it, do you think Hasbro's just gonna give us plain versions during the movie year? :D

If people want to buy the figures, ok, but if you're avoiding spoilers, don't open them or read the back and then complain about it being Hasbro's fault cause it's not like anyone's holding a gun to your head to do that stuff.

bigbarada
05-11-2002, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
Why read the back of the card?

Because it's there!:p

Anyways, I am not one to stay away from spoilers. I knew exactly how Jar Jar fits into the movie before I bought the figure and what he does; but people avoiding spoilers might not want that info.

I really wish that we could have cards like the vintage ones, which simply displayed the ENTIRE line so you got a checklist with every fig, but never gave away any info on the character. All you got then was just a name and a picture. A big picture too, not a postage stamp.

RooJay
05-13-2002, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada

Because it's there!:p

Anyways, I am not one to stay away from spoilers. I knew exactly how Jar Jar fits into the movie before I bought the figure and what he does; but people avoiding spoilers might not want that info.

I really wish that we could have cards like the vintage ones, which simply displayed the ENTIRE line so you got a checklist with every fig, but never gave away any info on the character. All you got then was just a name and a picture. A big picture too, not a postage stamp.
I'm with ya bigB! I don't have a problem at all with supposed spoilers on the cardbacks (which I don't even consider spoilers anyway), but I much preferred the cardbacks for the vintage Kenner figures. I always loved making up my own bios for my figures anyway!

Dak Powers
05-13-2002, 12:13 AM
rofl, Very intelligent and mature, Aikman. A person points out your annoying and overabundant pessimism and you call them a hoarder. I'm so impressed with your blinding flash of insight!

aikman
05-13-2002, 09:38 AM
Whos the mature one? (rofl) Got anymore internet slang u wanna use no-life? Obviously you want rieekan to complete your NAMBLA diorama.
Not a whole lot going on in arkansaws is there?
RE
rofl, Very intelligent and mature, Aikman. A person points out your
annoying and overabundant pessimism and you call them a hoarder

brentfett
05-13-2002, 10:15 AM
I have some suggestions for people avoiding spoilers. It's simple. Don't look at any Star Wars related web sites, do not watch television (trailers), don't read any magazines or newspapers, don't buy the new figures, and do not have any verbal contact with any Star Wars fans. Easy enough, huh?

aikman
05-13-2002, 10:44 AM
Dont eat either, cereal, potato chips and yogurt have star wars stuff too

Dak Powers
05-13-2002, 11:52 AM
Whos the mature one? (rofl) Got anymore internet slang u wanna use no-life? Obviously you want rieekan to complete your NAMBLA diorama.
Not a whole lot going on in arkansaws is there?
RE
rofl, Very intelligent and mature, Aikman. A person points out your
annoying and overabundant pessimism and you call them a hoarder

In all of your incoherent rambling, I failed to sort out one rational thought. I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul.

Dryanta
05-13-2002, 11:59 AM
sorry Guys gotta pipe in.
This is an iteresting thread and there have been some intersting view points made by all.Please consider stopping the squabbling.
If you don't you are running the risk of having the thread closed so no one else will be affored the opportunity to share.Think about it.

pthfnder89
05-13-2002, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Dryanta
sorry Guys gotta pipe in.
This is an iteresting thread and there have been some intersting view points made by all.Please consider stopping the squabbling.
If you don't you are running the risk of having the thread closed so no one else will be affored the opportunity to share.Think about it.

Exactly guys. This is a friendly board and the moderators have no problem with stepping in before the flames break out in earnest. If you want yell at each other you should use the PM. But personally, I'd advise you to simply step back, take a breath and let it all go. :) Things always turn out better when you do that.

As far as Spoilers in the figures; I try to avoid big spoilers too, but I made the decision to stay in these forums even though they are spoiler-rich, because I wanted to discuss the new figures. I take the same view of Hasbros putting spoiler features in it's figures. If I really wanted to, I could avoid them, but since they usually give something extra to the figure I think putting them in to start with is vastly preferable to releasing a resculpt later.

aikman
05-13-2002, 01:42 PM
I certainly can take the high road, and yes thank you for appreciating the thread I started.
I thought it was an interesting one too.
Sadly, some pathetic , lonely,cowardly people think they are tough on message boards.

LTBasker
05-13-2002, 02:31 PM
I certainly can take the high road, and yes thank you for appreciating the thread I started.
I thought it was an interesting one too.
Sadly, some pathetic , lonely,cowardly people think they are tough on message boards.

Yeah that's real mature. :rolleyes:

That's more of an acting "tough" net attack, so was the first attack which was said by YOU. Even know what a hoarder is?...

Just wanted to say that. :happy:

Anyways, if you want to stay away from spoilers then just don't buy the figures - they'll be around after the movie.

It's not really that much of a spoiler with the HD Ani, like InsaneJediGirl pointed out. Technically we already knew Anakin lost the same hand that Luke did, granted we only knew of the hand but still, it doesn't make it anymore of a bigger spoiler.

It would've been a major spoiler had they released a Maul that splits in two before E1 came out, but they didn't, and that's not what they're doing now. As for the removeable body part spoilers, well that's more of a dumb decision on how to host the gimmick, they should've stuck with pegs.

Just my extra 2 dollars. :greedy:

aikman
05-13-2002, 02:35 PM
Actually it started with was post 17 , get your facts straight .

Beast
05-13-2002, 02:42 PM
Aikman, chill out man. You really are ruffling alot of peoples feathers with your rude comments. This is a nice friendly place, and we really would like to keep it that way. If you have a different opinion then someone, then state your opinion and defend it. Don't attack people cause their opinion doesn't jive with yours. That's just childish man, and doesn't lead to anyone having a good time here on the boards. Let's try to respect each other, even if we disagree with them. Just my 2 daktaries.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

aikman
05-13-2002, 02:52 PM
Thats what I try to do , but Im certaionly not going to put up with offensive and rididculous comments such as this one...

RE
"Aikman, are you ever happy with anything? On the short time I've been on this board, it seems like all you do is whine, whine, whine... "

Dryanta
05-13-2002, 03:08 PM
Hey guys I'm back,
What does the the report post icon at the bottom of postes do?
If someone is really offended by something posted can't they use this to bring it to moderators attention imediately?Consider it If that is what it does.Make it an even better place to be.ANy help on this?
Please one or both completely walk away from any further personal comments in this open thread.It really would be a shame to see another thread get shut down for stubborn actions.
No one here will get the last word except for the moderator.

mark2d2
05-13-2002, 06:41 PM
The funny thing is, Aikman --- that you then went off and totally made Dak's case for him.

I think that this is such a none issue. If you want to remain spoiler free, then just wait until the movie is out before you go buy toys or check out websites. I mean the point of the internet is to find things out -- and when you get the toys you're definitely going to find out details about the character's clothes and weapons.

If truly want to remain unaware of things -- you shouldn't go and seek them out. Simple as that.

Imperial Monarche
05-14-2002, 05:33 PM
Whats the deal with Hasbro killing some big secrets from Episode II. First it was the break off arm from Zam Wessel, then the Count Dooku deluxe figure being named Darth Tyranus (gee, that really blows the fact out in the open that he is the sith), then the most recent as the Jango Fett Final Battles head coming off. I guess, he doesn't make it to Ep. III. Whats going on, Hasbro? You guys are messing up the fact that alot of people don't want to know anything about the movie. If they want to do all that, release those figures after the movie comes out. I mean, come on. I'm angry.

Beast
05-14-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Imperial Monarche
Whats the deal with Hasbro killing some big secrets from Episode II. First it was the break off arm from Zam Wessel, then the Count Dooku deluxe figure being named Darth Tyranus (gee, that really blows the fact out in the open that he is the sith), then the most recent as the Jango Fett Final Battles head coming off. I guess, he doesn't make it to Ep. III. Whats going on, Hasbro? You guys are messing up the fact that alot of people don't want to know anything about the movie. If they want to do all that, release those figures after the movie comes out. I mean, come on. I'm angry.
May wanna do a search, this has been discussed alot before. Here is the most prominant thread about all that, but I will recap about the figures you mentioned: http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7849

First of all, there were only 14 figures planned for release on April 23rd. The ones you are complaining about were not planned to be released until the movie came out. Hasbro recieved more orders for figures then they expected after E1, and had tto rush more figures out to meet store orders. Now to the individual figures.

Zam Wesell: One of the ones that were not planned to be out until after the movie was released. But again, she was released earlier to meet fan and stores demands. You can clearly see her get her arm cut off in the trailers anyway. The clawdite face, if you don't read the back of the card, ruins nothing. Most people would have thought it was a mask of somekind. :)

Darth Tyranus: Gee, the fact that he was dressed all in black, is played by someone who is well known for his villian roles, and has a red bladed "sith" lightsaber, wasn't a big enough clue that he was a Sith Lord. Not to mention the basic figure comes with Darth Sidious, and he's seen fighting Anakin in the trailers. :)

Jango Fett: Final Battle: Another case of a figure coming out earlier then expected. After the first 27 figures were released on the 23rd, we heard that Hasbro was gonna relax a bit, before releasing anymore. This case was meant to start showing up, until well after the movie had opened, and everyone knew that Jango looses his head. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Forhekset
05-14-2002, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Zam Wesell: One of the ones that were not planned to be out until after the movie was released. But again, she was released earlier to meet fan and stores demands. You can clearly see her get her arm cut off in the trailers anyway. The clawdite face, if you don't read the back of the card, ruins nothing. Most people would have thought it was a mask of somekind. :)

Darth Tyranus: Gee, the fact that he was dressed all in black, is played by someone who is well known for his villian roles, and has a red bladed "sith" lightsaber, wasn't a big enough clue that he was a Sith Lord. Not to mention the basic figure comes with Darth Sidious, and he's seen fighting Anakin in the trailers. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I pretty much agree with you JarJar, but I don't think it's so obvious that Zam gets her arm cut off in any trailer. In fact up until I got the fig and rewatched the trailers in slow motion frame by frame, I didn't realize that in the nightclub scene where Obi-Wan spins around with sabre ignited that he was cutting off Zam's arm. Not that I felt like the figure spoiled anything, I'm just being picky.

Oh yeah, and Dooku's basic figure also calls him "Dark Lord", aside from coming with a red lightsabre plus a Sidious holo. Can't get much more obvious than that....

Don't blame Hasbro. If Lucas didn't want the figures out before the movie spoiling things, he wouldn't have let them be released. If Lucas didn't want the novel out before the movie spoiling things, he wouldn't have allowed that to be released either. The SW franchise is Lucas' baby and what he says goes. So if you really want to be angry at anyone, it probably oughta be Lucas.

Dak Powers
05-14-2002, 06:43 PM
About Dooku/Tyranus: Gee, who didn't see that coming? You see promo displays with ol' Dooku holding a lightsaber anyway. He's as obvious as Sidious/Palpatine. OH NO I GAVE IT AWAY

Imperial Monarche
05-14-2002, 06:48 PM
All I gotta say, is you know Lucas and when the first Star Wars came out, everyone knew that Vader was Luke's father. Right! Lucas is the master at making the obvious not the truth. Is Sideous Palpatine, nobody gonna know that until Lucas tells you he is.

CrossWizard
05-14-2002, 10:10 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if Lucas just to **** people off makes Sidious to actually be Ric Olie, I mean the resemblance is there(the nose, the chin) :p

Darth Ovori
05-14-2002, 10:25 PM
Dammit Dak Powers, you've just ruined the whole prequel thing for me... :D

pthfnder89
05-15-2002, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by CrossWizard
I wouldnt be surprised if Lucas just to **** people off makes Sidious to actually be Ric Olie, I mean the resemblance is there(the nose, the chin) :p

I knew it! THAT'S why he was being so friendly to Anakin in Ep1, teaching him how to fly and everything! He was already turning him to the Dark Side! :D