PDA

View Full Version : What If!!!

JEDI_REDEEMER
05-09-2002, 10:32 PM
What if Hasbro would find a way to Give us some new sculps of the 1st 12 or 21 vintage figures and place them on vintage style cards with different photos than the originals so idiots wont try to rip ppl off....wouldnt it be nice for us old school Jedi to see those vintage style cards on the shelves again...and What a way to honor the 25th Anniversary IMO :)

Mandalorian Candidat
05-09-2002, 10:45 PM
I would love to have the old school cards again! They're the best, IMO. As for redoing the old figures, I would buy them if redone in the same vein as the old ones. I think it would be pretty cool to have the first 12 made and shipped together in a package. You could sell them at Sam's or Costco like the 2-packs for EP1.

I bet some collectors would raise holy heck if they were remade, though. I can see them whining about lowering the value of the older stuff or the possibility of them being sold as vintage figures.

JEDI_REDEEMER
05-09-2002, 10:47 PM
I agree thats why I thing they should use new sculpts of the classic figs bringing together the new and the old.....giving us that feel again with a new twist for the rookies

Beast
05-09-2002, 10:48 PM
They tried it out with the TRU exclusive 4 pack of figures back in 1995, it didn't sell and people were passing off the re-issues as vintage. Alot of them ended up getting damaged while on the shelves, and TRU ended up clerancing them out. The vintage figures were cool for their time, but it's highly unlikely they would sell today. Hasbro even said the attempt was a bomb, as many of the 4 figure sets were returned and destroyed.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDI_REDEEMER
05-09-2002, 10:52 PM
it was a bad idea to reissue the old figures even thouhg I loved it...but they didnt have the feel of the vintage line.....think of putting a potf2 Fett onto a vintage style card with a new photo. Bring the entire 25 years together with one line of 12 figures

Beast
05-09-2002, 10:58 PM
Ahh, I see what you mean. New figures on the old cards. If they did do it, it would most likely be an exclusive to somewhere. And with the current hatred of exclusives, it might not be the greatest of ideas. Not to mention, there isn't alot of people that want another Luke:Tatooine, Leia: ANH Gown, Han Solo: ANH outfit, etc. You can always make custom carded figures of the new figures on the old cards, if you have a printer. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
05-09-2002, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
They tried it out with the TRU exclusive 4 pack of figures back in 1995, it didn't sell and people were passing off the re-issues as vintage. Alot of them ended up getting damaged while on the shelves, and TRU ended up clerancing them out. The vintage figures were cool for their time, but it's highly unlikely they would sell today. Hasbro even said the attempt was a bomb, as many of the 4 figure sets were returned and destroyed.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Well, I'll be dipped. I went alookin' for 'em but never found 'em. That sucks.

LTBasker
05-10-2002, 01:10 AM
They'd be great as a Fan Club exclusive 12-pack as long as they were price at retail which wouldn't even come to $100 and as long as they were made in good numbers.

The figures could have mild articulation in them and just be in neutral poses like the vintage figures and Obi-Wan, Luke and Darth could come in with and without the "extending" saber, either a pop-out arm or just one carded version with a normal arm and then exactly the same thing for the 2nd one, except the 2nd would have the right arm with the extending saber.... for "nostalgia." So those that hate the gimmicks can get non-gimmicked versions without having to sacrifice differences.

mark2d2
05-10-2002, 04:18 AM
Okay, I'd definitely buy these. They could do them as a truly incredible series of retro four packs. Use the original molds -- but with 2002 copyright stamps of course.

Simply recreate the classic original Early Bird Mail In Offer . . . (R2-D2, Luke, Leia, Chewbacca.)

Follow this with Death Star Pack . . . (Darth Vader, Ben Kenobi, Storm Trooper, Death Squad Commander.)

And then finally, Tattooine Pack . . . (Han Solo, Threepio, Jawa, Sand People)

Include a collector set of repro vintage cards and (of course!) the old catalogues, and you'd have a trio of collectables that would do very well as a Fan Club Exclusive or something. Heck, I'd snag two of each. One to keep, and one to open.

JEDI_REDEEMER
05-10-2002, 07:01 AM
maybe its time we get this to Hasbro then lol...I remember when I was young I didnt have to use the force to get my figures out of the package like I do with the Saga figures.

RooJay
05-10-2002, 07:32 PM
I've always thought a line of resculpts of the original 12 on vintage style cards with new photos would've been a great idea, especially for the silver anniversary. A bit late for that though. Still, I'd like to see a line like that.