PDA

View Full Version : Death Star Space Station

Masterjedi73
05-10-2002, 08:25 AM
Hey. Anybody out there have a Death Star Space Station they want to sell? Does anyone know where to get one? What's a good price for it?

Thanks

gibbspaulus
05-10-2002, 10:48 AM
Dependes on which one you want. In the UK we had a cardboard effort which fethces about $200 depending on the box. Then there's the US version which had plastic support frame. Not sure about that one.

Maybe I'm wrong - can anyone verify / correct me?

Bel-Cam Jos
05-10-2002, 06:19 PM
Palatoy (the British one) was a circular dome-shaped cardboard action playset, with doorways that opened between each section. The US one was a vertical tower-type playset with lots of features. This one didn't really look like the Death Star, but it was cool! Alas, I only played with my friends' sets, as I could not get Santa to help me out. :(

TopJedi
05-11-2002, 08:58 AM
I have most of the parts to a vintage Death Star that I'm planning on E-baying very soon.If you're interested in it maybe we can work something out.E-mail me if you're interested.

Thanks, Brian TopJedi sniperman76@hotmail.com

Bel-Cam Jos
05-11-2002, 10:35 AM
Discussions on which Death Star playset is which are fine here in the DISCUSSION Forums. But any requests for sales/trades/buys should be placed in the Classified section. :)

darth chuck
05-12-2002, 04:27 AM
I have a loose complete death star, and had been wondering how much it was worth. I found a loose one described as C-7.5/8 at Brian's Toys for $200. They also had a boxed one for $695. Their prices tend to be a little on the high side, though. But that should give you an idea. Hope it helps.

2-1B
05-12-2002, 01:17 PM
I never owned one myself, so I have no experience with these playsets. What do you think is better? I've looked at fotos of each several times over the years, and from what I've seen they each have advantages.

What's your preference?

Sidiously Darth
05-12-2002, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
Discussions on which Death Star playset is which are fine here in the DISCUSSION Forums. But any requests for sales/trades/buys should be placed in the Classified section. :)

I respect this option and have used it w/ limited success. Unfortunately, I don't think we always reach those that desire to sell or "get rid of" just solely using the Buy/Sell/Trade area. I'm not talking about rampant disregard for the rules but sometimes you do find what you are looking for in the discussion areas rather than the proper B/S/T forums.

BTW, I don't have a DS playset to sell. I'm actually customizing mine. Oh darn, that belongs in a different forum. I'm probably going to get banned for trying to help someone. AAAHHHHHHH!!!:crazed: :D

Bel-Cam Jos
05-13-2002, 10:15 AM
This discussion has been fine. (Don't worry, Sidiously D. You won't be banned :D ). Here are some examples of unacceptable threads:

Post #1a: I have a [item] for sale. E-mail me at [address] or check my auction at [auction site].

Post #2b: Is it mint?

Post #3a: Yes.

Post #4b: OK.

Post #5a: And it is in the box.

Post #6b: Cool.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Post #1a: I have a [item]. How much is it worth?

Post #2b: I think it's [value].

Post #3c: No, I think it's [different value].

Post #4d: Check the price guide (Cantina).

Post #5a: OK.

See? These have no purpose that couldn't be served by the indivduals e-mailing each other. No need to put responses in a thread. So in that regard, the Classifieds would work. That's all.

Sidiously Darth
05-13-2002, 12:14 PM
Thank the Makers!!!:D

I totally agree w/ you on those sample posts, Bel. That's just a waste of space. Wading through 20 one word posts to get to the real meat can be tedious.

JEDIpartner
05-13-2002, 12:23 PM
Well... I LOVE my vintage Death Star. I probably have said it a thousand times over. I passed up a vintage X-Wing and TIE for this when I was a kid. I think I had way more fun with this set than I would have with the ships. I suppose the Palitoy one was pretty cool in its own way, but I never saw it from "all" sides.

I still have my vintage Death Star and it's all intact. I only have to drill a small hole into the cannon as the barrel broke off when I moved to my new house. Oh, well.

JON9000
05-28-2002, 08:02 PM
I dropped a C note to get one off of Ebay. It is missing the rope and the trash and one of the posts was the wrong size. But I love it love it love it. I had one when I was a kid that we got at a yard sale for $5 and I really trashed the thing by playing with it all the time. It is absolutely the king of all SW playsets so I had to get one again. I wholeheartedly recommend picking one up!

JON9000
05-28-2002, 08:04 PM
Oh yeah- I have it set up- when people come by my place for the first time and see it they instantly go nuts- even though most don't collect- but lots of folks remember having one and can't resist playing with it for a minute or two! Its especially cool if you have some vintage figures to set up in it!

darthdeogg
06-21-2002, 10:22 AM
I found mine for dirt cheap a few years ago at a toy show (around 20 bucks). All it's missing is the rope and the garbage monster. Yes, it even has some of the original garbage LOL. You all are right, this thing is VERY sweet!!

And speaking of garage sales, I STILL have my vintage TIE fighter that my mom and I found at a grage sale for $1 a LOOOONG time ago. ;o)

GfOfStarWarsFanatic
09-18-2008, 07:50 AM
I am looking for a death star space station for my BF whos birthday is approaching.
This was his favorite growing up and I would love to give him a piece of his childhood.
Does anyone know where I can get one that isn't too expensive (as ive found an option to buy is for 4000.00)
Thank you

Ando
09-18-2008, 10:05 AM
You sound like an awesome girlfriend!

Try ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Star-Wars-78-Death-Star-playset-Box-1-ANH_W0QQitemZ320300573989QQihZ011QQcategoryZ50270Q QrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp163 8Q2em118Q2el1247 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Star-Wars-78-Death-Star-playset-Box-1-ANH_W0QQitemZ320300573989QQihZ011QQcategoryZ50270Q QrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp163 8Q2em118Q2el1247)

It looks like this seller has 2 for sale, the other one is $85.00.

Good luck.

DarkArtist
09-23-2008, 11:49 AM
I remember this set from my childhood days. ahh memories. i had a semi-complete one up until last year and then sold it to a friend of mine for about $100.

I think I still have the trash compactor and monster from another one i used to have, but it has none of the foam garbage left.

JON9000
09-25-2008, 06:15 PM
I am looking for a death star space station for my BF whos birthday is approaching.
This was his favorite growing up and I would love to give him a piece of his childhood.
Does anyone know where I can get one that isn't too expensive (as ive found an option to buy is for 4000.00)
Thank you

I can sell you mine. I really have no place to display it, but if I sell it I would like it to go to a good home. It includes the rope swing, which is almost always missing.

I do need a new strut for it, but I could find that pretty easily on ebay by the time you need it. It does not include any foam trash, as that stuff disintegrates pretty easily, but that comes up on ebay fairly often.

I'd take $100, firm. PM me if you want pics.

cookiemonster
09-29-2008, 12:40 AM
When I am ready to get the Death Star I want the one I had when I was a kid (and seeing I am from England) it is the Palitoy one the Cardboard Half Dome Death Star.

LusiferSam
09-29-2008, 02:02 PM
The Palitoy DS is just awesome toy. In the over all it kicks the Kenner DS butt. But in the details Kenner's takes names and kicks a's.

So Palitoy DS is hemispherical in shape, a huge plus. :thumbsup: After all the DS is a big round space station. Where as the Kenner DS is a tower. :o The Palitoy DS as a lot of rooms. A nice control rooms, hanger bay, a pretty cool corridor tunnel and good open spaces. And nearly all are nicely printed. For example the main control room has rows of Star Destroyer Commands at work. Or Stormtroopers are shown all over the place. Palitoy also has a couple of tricks to make its DS fell big. There's some mirror stickers near the center column area to give the illusion depth. Kenner dropped the ball in nearly every one of these area.

It's new the details where the Kenner DS shines. The trash compacter is the best. It's got trash, a dianoga, and you can compact the stuff. I hate the colors, but it was the 70's (shutters). The Palitoy trash compacter is just a movable panel with some nice trashy images print on the floor and sides. Sure you can squish your figures flat, but it's not the same. The gunner's station is dead on in the Kenner version. The gun is great and "explodes." The Paliotoy one is odd at best. A vacformed seat and canopy with X-Wing guns. Ok, but it's not Kenner's. Other areas where Kenner outshines Palitoy are the elevator, rope swing, and tracker beam power station. Palitoy pretty much lacks all of these.

But at the end of the day you've got all these cool elements in an ugly package. The Kenner DS just isn't very Death Star like, and Palitoy's is.

The down side is both are fragile as hell. Kenner DS wasn't meant stand up to rough play (so much for the LP). The columns break too easy, as due the slots they fit into. I personally hate most of the playset that have plastic bases and cardboard backdrops. As having only known the ROTJ and late ESB playsets as kid, I think the SW and early ESB suck. The Palitoy DS being all cardboard is a step somewhere from half and half. It's "flimsy" and even more susceptible to rough play damage.

So I'll give my vote to the Lego DS as the best Death Star playset. :p

cookiemonster
10-06-2008, 07:25 PM
Lol, I have never seen the Lego version, I dont collect lego, damn I havent even played with it since I was a wee one.

Darth Kev
10-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Their prices tend to be a little on the high side, though. But that should give you an idea. Hope it helps.

Their prices ARE a LOT on the high side!

I know they're a sponsor of this site and everything, but if I have to shell out extra $ for something I'd actually rather give it to someone on ebay who's only going to make a couple of bucks (and isn't a store) on something and who actually went out and found it themselves in-store.
Brian's Toys gets stuff direct from Hasbro and price gouges. Seriously, why would I pay $29.99 for an evolutions set and then add in shipping, when I know it's out there somewhere, like at Walmart or Target for $19.99? Not to mention that Brian's Toys and Walmart both got the same case of them from Hasbro for the same price?

Their vintage prices are way higher also.

Search eBay for your Death Star. There's usually people selling just a piece here or there, a complete set, or mostly complete set

DarthQuack
02-01-2010, 09:50 PM
Here's one (http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Star-Wars-Death-Star-Space-Station_W0QQitemZ120525679305QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0fe3eac9), BIN for $100. :thumbsup: