PDA

View Full Version : Senator Orn Free Ta review

2-1B
05-10-2002, 11:21 PM
I've been looking forward to this figure, and I'm happy that I bought him. :) As for my specific opinions . . .

The guy is a statue. His inner robe is a single cylindrical piece, it's hard to get at his legs. Which are quite stubby because there are only stumps under there, just like the Jar Jar Binks figure. But OFT is better than JJB because his solid body is not leaned into that awkward pose of JJB. Even though Hasbro took a shortcut with the legs, I'm pleased by his blue feet and minor ankle detail.

The robes are fine, considering they are not cloth. I like the touch of two strands hanging down the front, and the rest of the robe is nicely sculpted without being too chocolicious. The buttoned undercoat is nicely detailed.

He has a great head sculpt. Not much room for variance in paint jobs, since the only things painted here are his teeth and eyes. I'm glad to say both of these features are well done in my case. I like his blue head, and I see they faded it out a bit on his front tentacles.

The tentacles are cool. Even with 2 hanging down in the front and another 2 in the back, they do not prohibit the head from moving, and I like that. The only problem I have here is in the rough spot on his front left tentacle. It appears to be a bad break from the mold, but that's just my guess. I'm not sure how prevalent this is, let me know if you have this same problem.

And how about his arms! Articulation at the elbows AND wrists, now that I like. Even with the robes, I'm able to move his arms up and down, and the poseability of the wrists allows for fun senator playing action. I currently have both arms raised, palms parallel to the ground. Depending on my mood, he's either doing the magic fingers or he's shooting force lightning. :p

Accessory is alright, a senate cam droid on a clear stand. I like that it's movie relevant, no need for electro fx here. But I do think the stand could be higher, the droid's antennae is only as high as OFT's teeth; I would rather it stand taller than his head. But it's no big deal to me.

Overall, I'm not too big on the statue body, but my love of his arms and head redeems that. I give him a very solid B+ :)

mark2d2
05-10-2002, 11:35 PM
I really like this figure as well. He's so brightly colored. Very unique. He looks great next to my Royal Guard. I'd actually give him a solid A.

2-1B
05-11-2002, 05:21 PM
I'm glad you like him mark2d2 ! (see? I can be positive about these toys :D )
Can I ask you to check his head for a spot where the piece was broken off the mold?

JEDIpartner
05-11-2002, 05:35 PM
YES! I can't wait until I get this one...

I think I'm going out to get the battle droid rifle on my way out to my gig this evening. I'm such a weirdo.

Taichi
05-11-2002, 10:21 PM
Mine doesn't have a HUGELY noticable mold break, but it is there.....

it looks like somebody chewed my Kit Fisto out of the mold, though......

mark2d2
05-12-2002, 06:55 AM
Caesar, mine does in fact have this defect. Very slight though. I wouldn't have even noticed had it not been for you and your meddling posts . . .

chris
06-05-2002, 11:51 AM
The Orn Free Taa does make a good diaroma fig. I have it, and two guards. Now, if I could only find Palpatine...

WesleySr
06-25-2002, 04:03 PM
I think that this is one of the better figures because of his detail and his pose. He is not in one of those useless action poses.

Darth Shifty
06-25-2002, 05:26 PM
I'm not a big fan of this fig, but it is a decent sculpt aside from the casting defect. (Mine is fairly noticable) He's just not very exciting to me. Does Orn Free Taa mean Fat Blue Blob in Twi Lek?

conli olper
06-29-2002, 11:45 AM
ive seen so many orn free taa's with that defect on his upper right tenticle *left when youre looking @ him straight on*. ive also noticed paint jobs on this figure can vary quite dramatically. ive seen some shockers but i am happy with the one i ended up buying.

LTBasker
06-29-2002, 01:48 PM
I haven't noticed any defects on mine, so I dunno if it's there, but it's not an entirely un-fighting figure. You can put his right hand up and use his left hand to hold the bottom of the senate cam droid's base with it leaning onto his left hand then him and Sen. JJB can duel. :D

anarky
07-03-2002, 01:52 PM
i actually think he's the best figure of the saga line--or darn close to it

the arm articulation is excellent--chewie and clonie have comparable joints in the arms, but they've both got molds such that they have to have their arms bent at the elbow--i just don't like that too much