PDA

View Full Version : Who's making the Walmart Snowspeeder? Kenner or Hasbro? The figures say Kenner??????

Turbowars
05-11-2002, 01:54 AM
I bought a Snowspeeder with Luke and Dack today and I must say I love it. I noticed something strange though. On the back of Lukes and Dacks legs, it says 1996 Kenner. Wait a minute, doesn't Hasbro make these toys? I think YES. I wouldn't think, that Kenner would have given the mold to Hasbro, but if they have, wouldn't you think that Hasbro would have removed the Kenner logo? I guess Lucas owns all the molds, so maybe it doesn't matter. It's not a big deal, but I just thought I'd mention it.

Sidiously Darth
05-11-2002, 03:34 AM
Habro bought Kenner around 1997, molds and all.

As for the 2 figures, they're just a slightly retooled POTF2 Luke X-Wing and a 2nd w/ a different head.

Beast
05-11-2002, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by Sidiously Darth
Habro bought Kenner around 1997, molds and all.
As for the 2 figures, they're just a slightly retooled POTF2 Luke X-Wing and a 2nd w/ a different head.
I posted this once before, but I don't wanna go digging for it again so I will repost it here. Actually, they are not slightly retooled POTF2 Luke Snowspeeder figures. Here is exactly the breakdown on what makes up the figures. I think this breakdown from Yakface may be a little off as well, as the chests look like the Biggs figure to me. :)

Figures:

Early reports from people who got this indicated that the figures were simply rehashed POTF2 X-Wing Lukes from 1995. Apparently people who wrote these early reports were eaters of paint chips, as this is clearly not the case.

Both Luke and Dack are made from a modified version of the 1995 X-Wing Luke-- it should be fairly obvious to most fans that changes were made. The torso was resculpted, as easily evidenced by the now separate hose piece and the new collar for the orange flight suit. The head is the same, no significant paint or sculpt changes... but the crotch piece is all-new.

For those who want a more detailled comparison of POTF2 X-Wing Luke, and Snowspeeder Luke, I offer this humble chart:

X-Wing Luke - Light grey boots, Torso has hose sculpted on it,
Leg straps painted white, no other straps, Chest computer has two blue lights, Brown belt w/ buckle, Collar is sculpted to body, is not well defined

Snowspeeder Luke - Dark grey boots, bullets not painted, Torso hose a separate piece, Straps painted grey, also runs down body from chest computer thing, Chest computer has one blue and one red light, plus sharper sculpting, Grey belt, no buckle, Collar is a seperate piece.

While some say Dack is just the Y-Wing Pilot head on a new body, I would argue that it's a new head sculpt. (Unfortunately, my Y-Wing Pilot is where I am not right now.) Its body is identical to the companion Luke figure, right down to the 1995 copyright date. (Someone's a lazy little putz.) Why change the ship and not the figure?) The paint on the body is slightly different than Luke, some areas are touched where on Luke they are not. And vice-versa. If you like your pilots in the orange Rebel flavor, you'll really dig Dack Ralter.

Basically, what you're getting is two fairly good pilot figures. The helmets aren't removable, and the only legitimate gripe I have is they're using the third-rate head sculpt of Luke which has been done and done better in recent years.

In short, you could do worse-- at least it's not like they just barely repainted Ten Nunb and threw him with the B-Wing instead of giving us the human pilot. (No, wait a minute, they did do that.)

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=59648

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
05-11-2002, 01:51 PM
That all makes sense, but I'd think that Hasbro would have replaced Kenner with their logo.

pthfnder89
05-13-2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by turbowars
That all makes sense, but I'd think that Hasbro would have replaced Kenner with their logo.

It seems like they would have, but since they didn't modify the Arm/Leg pieces from the POTF2 mold, I guess they didn't think it was worth while to change the name and date stamp.

It doesn't really matter beause Kenner is completely owned by Hasbro since the buy-out, so anything that was copyrighted to Kenner is owned by Hasbro as well.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-13-2002, 01:14 PM
Well, no matter who makes them I'm really disappointed in their "quality." The head sculpts are cookie-cutter and are basically just a generic X-Wing pilot in my book. For $30 we should have gotten at least one good figure out of the two. I wouldn't even have minded no Luke for a better Dack.

Sidiously Darth
05-13-2002, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the correction, JJB. I knew my answer was too simple.

pthfnder89
05-14-2002, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
Well, no matter who makes them I'm really disappointed in their "quality." The head sculpts are cookie-cutter and are basically just a generic X-Wing pilot in my book. For $30 we should have gotten at least one good figure out of the two. I wouldn't even have minded no Luke for a better Dack.

That's why I don't want the speeder. If they had made two new pilots, or even the same bodies with removable helmets I would have changed my mind. But the two it comes with are just lackluster to me.

But darn it, I NEED a Tie Bomber! :)

RooJay
05-14-2002, 08:13 PM
I actually had a shot at the snowspeeder, but I passed on it since I really don't need another of this ship (I can take the laser cannon off of the one I have to simulate battle damage!:rolleyes: ), and the Luke figure is far too similar to the one I've already got. The only real reason I would buy this is for the Dack figure, but seeing the pics I really don't feel I need him enough to justify the $30 plus purchase. If Hasbro decides to release a carded Dack with a removeable helmet I'll be all over it!

BespinRunt
05-18-2002, 05:27 PM
Hasbro absorbed Kenner in late 1994, before the first POTF2 figure came out. Hasbro's owned the new Star Wars line since day 1.

The Kenner label (and their offices) were shut down in 2000, and "Hasbro" became the sole name on the action figures the company produces.

When using old molds, date staps are usually kept the same, because they are carved into the mold. Hasbro's playing it very close to the vest right now.. money's tight everywhere, but they're still reeling from he major losses in 1999 from Episode 1. Anythign they don't *have* to spend money on, they won't.