PDA

View Full Version : Quality of the new line

Masterjedi73
05-11-2002, 12:38 PM
Hey....far be it for me to complain, but I feel I have to say these things...

I'm not very happy with the new Hasbro stuff. Here's some examples:

Lightsabers...they look great...much better than before, but when my son is playing with them, they keep falling out of the handle.

Capes: none of the capes stay on any of the figures.

Magnets: The magnets don't stay on long enough (like anakin's arm)

Large Sabers: They look awesome, but they just aren't bright enough. The Episode 1 sabers were much brighter...even the POTF2 ones.

The ability to stand up: Here's a big one with me. It takes forever to get these new figures balanced correctly so they can stand on their own. I tested some of my POTF 2 figs and my vintage ones, and it wasn't nearly as difficult. What's up with that?

So....do you agree or disagree?

subMERGE
05-11-2002, 12:50 PM
I certainly agree with you on the magnets part. Anakin is the worst. The arm just falls off and then falls off again. Most of the magnets are bad, but Zam Wessel's is really strong. I've never had her arm come off, unless I wanted it to. Shaak Ti and Count Dookus (green one) sabers are the only ones that the saber has come off the handle. The capes do not stay on also, but I was expecting them to.

Darth Nihilus
05-11-2002, 01:25 PM
I doubt if we were ever meant to see the small print but on the back of the Saga cards it states "Poses shown may require additional support". If that's the case then why make them that way?

QLD
05-11-2002, 01:56 PM
Well, I always use stands, but it is annoying when the figures won't stand. Especially the Genosian Warrior with NO FOOT HOLES! Ugh!

I do not like the fact that the lightsabers are two pieces. Add to that, they are not sturdy, so it doesn't take much at all for them to bend or even break the little peg that holds it in place. It's neat to be able to make it just a hilt. However, because the figures are all so "action posed" that they are only good for one pose. So it does no good to have just the hilt, because 1.) there is no place to hang or attach the hilts. Making it pointless. and 2.) How stupid does Luminara look with just a hilt in that pose?

I like the figures, but the sabers I am not pleased with, and the magnest are lame. It seems to vary figure to figure whether or not they work, but you can't play with anakin, because the arm just falls off. Why not just make it a snap on arm instead? I am not a fan of the "force action" "blaster deflections" or "force effects".

I guess I am not happy with a lot of it really. But I do still really like the figures. I do however wish they all came with footholes, and they would drop the "action" features and stupid magnets.

JEDIpartner
05-11-2002, 04:20 PM
The fact that this product line and the word "quality" appeared in the same sentence caused me to chuckle. I still hate the poses and the fact that the figures can't fit into the vehicles very well. Yeah... having a hilt for a "battle stance" figure is pretty useless. I'd been *****ing about the poses for months and NOW people are finally seeing how all the pieces aren't "coming together". Speaking of "coming together"... why is it that when the "peg hand" feature on Luke from POTF2 was so good... they had to go with these stupid magnets? They should have given Anakin a "peg arm" so it didn't keep falling off.

There was an apparent lack of planning and testing on these products before they went into full production. One would think that the folks developing the figures would have gotten together with the folks designing the vehicles. Guess not! Good going, Hasblah.

QLD
05-11-2002, 04:39 PM
Yeah, good luck putting Luminara Winfrey in a vehicle. That would look kind of funny though, driving in that pose.

jblodgett
05-11-2002, 04:44 PM
I have a Hangar Duel Anakin, and his arm has never once fallen off. My biggest complaint with him is not his right arm. For me his right arm is perfect. It is that horrible left arm with the weird spinner thing and then his feet. I am happy to see I am not the only one who simply cannot pose these figures. My Count Dooku and HD Anakin absolutely will not stand on their own.

I too am disappointed by the "one pose" aspect of these figures. For example, the Obiwan Kenobi figure- he's essentially meant to be posed with his right arm holding onto the assassin droid, and pretty much nothing else. Luckily, this is one figure of mine who DOES stand, and he actually doesn't look terrible if you put the lightsaber onto the magnet on his right arm. But its pretty much impossible for Obiwan to fight Dooku, unless he's holding the saber in his left arm.

The Mace Windu figure (not deluxe) is perhaps the worst though. First of all, he looks like he is squeezing out the biggest turd of all time. Second, he has essentially ONE pose, and that is with him swinging that lightsaber.

Don't get me wrong, SOME of the figures are absolutely perfect. The Yoda figure, for instance, is exactly the way I would have wanted him. Same thing with the Kamino Escape Jango Fett. (The Arena Battle Jango suffers from leg problems too)

It seems to me that Hasbro has really started to "McFarlane-ize" their figures- i.e. make them static in one pose. I really miss the vintage line- because even though they were much less detailed- you could stand up just about ever figure, and they were so generically posed that you could use the same figure to be in about a dozen different "scenes."

2-1B
05-11-2002, 05:42 PM
Yeppers, this line is pretty hit and miss with me. But I'll find things I like for quite some time. :)

Masterjedi73
05-11-2002, 07:24 PM
I'm glad to see, then, that I'm not the only one who's not happy. I still like some of them....clone trooper, super battle droid, kamino jango, boba fett etc....the ones that are useful for more than one thing.

LTBasker
05-11-2002, 07:32 PM
So far all the lightsabers I've gotten stay in the hilts quite well, in fact I usually have to give them a slight pull to get them out. My only gripe on the lightsabers is the energy blast crap on the base of the blades. Otherwise they're pretty cool, especially the metal hilt ones as they seem more proportioned in the blade width and movie accurate.

AreTwo-DeeTwo
05-11-2002, 08:26 PM
I only have 3 figures so far. Anakin Hanger Duel, Jango Fett Kamino Escape, Dexster Jettster. I can get them to stand with no problem. However, Anakin's arm falls out with just the slightest touch. I don't really play with him but a kid will be upset trying to play with mine. That left hand IS and annoyance to. Still I really like the figure. It looks fanstastic to me. The way I have him posed right now is great.
I have zero problems with Jango Fett. I thought that grappling hook was going to be bad but it stays wrapped around that thing they put under his arm to hold the grappling hook. I really like that figure a lot.
Dexster, well he's okay but now that I have I wish I'd bought something else instead. No problems with quality just don't think I should have bought him.
I think I'll go get the Zam Wessel and Ct Dooku (with cape) next now that I know Nikto Jedi is hardly in the film if at all.

InsaneJediGirl
05-11-2002, 08:42 PM
I love that lightsabers blades come out of the hilt...mine stay on perfectly.Its the stances that bother me.Why give Lumi and Shaak Ti removeable blades if they can only move their arms?

The only character I have a hard time standing is Dooku.The cape falls off or I accidently touch him the wrong way and down he goes!

And,yes,JEDIpartnr Anakin and Zam should have been given peg arms like Bepsin Luke.Less chance of loosing the arm and more freedom to pose.

DARTH KANE
05-11-2002, 11:44 PM
Yipppeee! MY first post. OF the 3 figures I have, Nikto, Clone trooper (preview), and Ploo Koon, I must say I like the sculpting on them and prefer the posed figures rather than the static stance. I was just looking at EP1 figures today and saying to myself how much better the EP2 figs look. EP1 looked very dated whilst Ep2 looks current. Granted the figs don't do much in the way of diverse playabilty but I guess that's where imagination needs to come into play for me.

I don't understand the need for the magnets at all. I think it could be a good gimmick for some figs but certainly not all that have them.

All in all, I like the figs and apprecaite hearing these comments cause now I'll know what to look for-Thanks

figrin bran
05-12-2002, 12:50 AM
well, not to beat it like a dead horse but i don't really care for the removable blade lightsabers. i don't really mind saesee tinn's orange force shield thing but could do without the rest of the force/blast effects. i haven't opened up my anakin hd yet so i don't really know how strong/weak the magnet is. overall though, i'm somewhat satisfied with the figures.

bigbarada
05-12-2002, 01:57 AM
I haven't had a problem with any of the magnets in my figures. My HD Anakin's arm stays on with no problems.

Overall, I think the quality of the toys is improving. Sure there are a few hiccups along the way; but compare the average figure sold today to the stuff sold four or five years ago. The new stuff is leaps and bounds better in terms of detail, accuracy and accessories.

Sith Vicious
05-12-2002, 11:20 AM
Personally, I've been dissapointed with the paint jobs. I've noticed a much higher percentage of sloppy figures in the Saga line than any previous line.

bigbarada
05-12-2002, 01:58 PM
That can mainly be attributed to the sheer number of figures that were put out on 4/23. Remember how the POTJ waves were usually 3-4 figures each? The beginning of the Saga line was almost ten times that, of course there is going to be some shortcuts taken to get the figures out on time.

JEDIpartner
05-20-2002, 10:38 AM
The new Bespin Duel Vader, while cool, is also experiencing cape dysfunction. I'm not exactly sure why Hasbro has created such a problematic feature, but they have. The POTJ "Spirit" Vader had a cape problem as well, but the problem was corrected for the "wrath" Vader. It doesn't take a genius to realise that, if you draw the "neck portion" of the cape a little closer together, the cape will stay on a little better. I know the accuracy of the sculpt will suffer, but seriously folks... I'd rather have a nicer figure than ones so cheaply cobbled together!! :mad:

lunchymeatball
05-20-2002, 10:47 AM
The ones I have bought so far I've been very happy with although one problem which has started happening for me is that the paint is coming off of the metal handled sabres.
I have Yoda & Fisto and it is happening on both of these.
Also Luminara's plastic sabre handle tends to be a bit floppy when blade is in.
Guns are tending to be a bit floppy nowadays especially Djas Puhr.

Anyone noticed yet that if you say Djas Puhr quickly it sounds like Jasper:cool:

JEDIpartner
05-20-2002, 10:57 AM
I stated that in another thread... I thought perhaps I was the crazy one. Thanks for coming on-board with the "Jasper" thing!!!

Masterjedi73
05-20-2002, 10:58 AM
It seems as though Hasbro has begun to make these toys more for collectibility an displaying rather than playing....that's a big problem. They are toys! Kids should be able to play with them with relatively little trouble.

I think that all of the capes should be made of cloth. These plastic things are garbage.

Mace Windex
05-20-2002, 11:40 AM
Master,

YOu hit the nail on the had! The toys are designed for kids! Just think, if WE are frustrated with the problems how will impatient kids feel about playing with them?
Wake up HAsbro!

Masterjedi73
05-20-2002, 11:59 AM
I've opened almost all of my figures for my 4 year old to play with. I didn't do that with any of my Ep. 1 figures, but the value on most of them didn't do anything, so I just figured I'd open them for him to play with.

It's very frustrating. He can't stand any of them up....and most of them are only good for one pose.

He loves them, but does get very frustrated.

Zams speeder is cool, though.

Forhekset
05-20-2002, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by lunchymeatball
The ones I have bought so far I've been very happy with although one problem which has started happening for me is that the paint is coming off of the metal handled sabres.
I have Yoda & Fisto and it is happening on both of these.
Also Luminara's plastic sabre handle tends to be a bit floppy when blade is in.

My Luminara's sabre hilt was permanently bent, so I swapped it out with the hilt from the green sabre that Dooku comes with. 100% better :)

Also, speaking of paint coming off, when I removed the force pikes from my Royal Guards' hands, they had big splotches of paint on 'em and my force pike handles had ugly bare spots. They aren't metal, but still....

The only sloppy figure I've really noticed is the red clonetrooper. I CANNOT find a single red clonetrooper that doesn't have white paint spattered all over his gun. I goofed up and got a red clonie with not only a crappy gun, but an awful paint job on the figure itself (most especially the helmet).

yngadult
05-20-2002, 04:46 PM
Jango is the best IMO: Functional holsters, working missile, grappling hook AND removable helmet. That's a lot of excellent features packed into one toy!
He is in a "fighting stance" whcih has play potential, but, I would have preferred a stance with his feet closer together.
I'm glad they didn't give his knees joints as I believe those will eventually loosen and not hold up the rest of the figure.
As for the magnets on other figures. It just seems less expensive to design figures with pegs rather than magnets. Hopefully Hasbro will rethink this issue.

taliesin
05-20-2002, 11:46 PM
Hey. The fact of the matter is this: these toys look great on their cards, and displayed as such.

When collectors drove up prices and started making demands, Hasbro decided to gear their toys at those dishing up the cash. Hence, playability comes second to looks, if it matters at all.

These toys, seemingly, were never made to be played with. I'll stick with my beaten up, loose armed Chewie from the 70's.

Obi-Don
05-21-2002, 12:06 AM
I'm not to crazy about the magnets either. On my anikin I'm going to glue the arm on so I don't have to worry about it. My little girl wants one and I know she will get tired of putting it back on. As the lightsabers go I haven't had any problems with them as of yet.