PDA

View Full Version : ATOC - suitable for little kids?

Darth_Vince
05-11-2002, 02:29 PM
Hey ppl,

first of all, let's get a few things straight: I *am* a SW fan. I can *hardly* wait 'till the 16th. And I *do* know I'm opening a huge can of worms here. But I still think this topic should be discussed...

Do all of you consider AOTC a movie suitable for little kids (i.e. 4-10)?

I mean, I know it's all science fiction, but still... At least to me, AOTC looks like it might be the most violent of all SW movies to date. I mean, Zam and Anakin are getting their arms chopped off, Jango's getting beheaded, a few Geonosians are getting sliced and diced, an Acklay's guts get spilled, hundreds of Jedi go down, etc... And, as far as I know, all of this will be clearly shown, which was not the case in previous SW adventures.
Again, this is not a problem for more mature viewers. But what about all the 4-year olds? Sure, they won't be able to reenact (sp?) Jango's beheading during play, so that's not a factor. I still think scenes like that might scare many kids though -- in a bad way, that is...
I mean, take Jango for example. To us, he's merely a cool bad@**, but many little ones will view him as a Boba's *dad*. Consequently, the man getting his head chopped off in the arena will not be a bounty hunter but a *dad* A dad like theirs... And this, I think, could greatly scare some people...

Just yesterday, I overheard my 4-year old neighbor -- a fan of Harry Potter -- talking to his parents, saying he doesn't want them to "go away like Harry's mom and dad"... Stuff like that does scare kids, even when it's *not* handled as harshly as in AOTC...

Again, I know that's how the SW story goes and personally, I love it. But I'm wonderinge whether this installment -- and more than likely Ep. III -- are really suitable for pre-school kids...

What do you think, and, if you have kids, how would you handle it if your kids voiced fear after seeing the movie (or the trailers)?

2-1B
05-11-2002, 03:27 PM
Considering the film is rated PG (Parental Guidance suggested) I would recommend that a parent be present if they have sensitive kids. It's a good way to learn that things in this world aren't always pleasant. :)

Besides - the classic trilogy has at least 4 severed limbs, tauntaun innards being spilled, a decapitation, a Gammorrean Guard and skiff guards being eaten . . .

Starfig873
05-11-2002, 06:36 PM
I agree, the wee ones should be fine. Granted some 'splaining might need to occur. Especially after Jango's "accident". :)

derek
05-11-2002, 06:55 PM
any film is ok for children as long as they are very quiet.;)

i tried to watch spiderman the other day with 2 babies, i'm talking newbornes, crying the whole way through.

RooJay
05-14-2002, 08:30 PM
Having worked in the theater business, I would recommed that a responsible adult ALWAYS accompany children under 12 to the movies. Even G rated movies. Children do not always stay put!:D

Dryanta
05-14-2002, 08:41 PM
I personally always watch it first and then make the decision about the kids.Mine are 13,10,4,and almost 3.
The three year old loves Star Wars but is afraid of Vader.I should say was.I bought her an Dagobah Vader with the removable head.She can hold it her hands and relate that to the movie as neither being real.
I haven't seen it yet but I don't think it'll be any worse than any of the others.I've had to explain dead ewoks.They are cute and cuddly.Unlike Jango fett.I've also had to explain why Luke's dad is beating him up and then dies saving him.Tread lightly and try and get a handle on how each child may or may not react.I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir.Your posting of the question shows me you are concerned enough for your kids to know all this any way;)

Jango_in_Germany
05-14-2002, 09:06 PM
dryanta,

ive seen it and i wouldnt take the younger ones. im sure most would agree with me that this is by far the most violent sw movie yet. if your reading this forum then you dont mind spoilers, there are more than a few body parts hacked off in by lightsabers in this film. if you think your kids can handle seeing half an arm and a head VISABILY removed from the owners then by all means........but be warmed.........

ps everything darth_vince mentioned above IS shown on screen, no implied violence like the case with maul...........

Dryanta
05-15-2002, 06:36 AM
Thanks for that JIG,
I will make the decision after I've seen it.I really don't know yet.It may very well be a case of my kids missing it for a while.
Thanks for the input

Darth Nihilus
05-15-2002, 02:07 PM
The film is the most violent to date. Plenty of Geo's get sliced in a number of ways, we know about the dismemberments. I should also say that the Nexu is quite frightening as a monster in a PG movie. See it first before you take your kids.

plo koon 200
05-15-2002, 04:53 PM
As for Zam's arm getting sliced it should be no problem . Luke's hand, and Ponda's arm in the cantina. However, I do agree that the Geo's and Jango's head coming out of the helmet may be a little to much for little ones. It just depends.

scruffziller
05-26-2002, 07:03 PM
I thought I was overanalytical!! I have been talking to some people, who are half-in, half-out of the culture that thought this.
What do you excpect, IT'S STAR WARS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-26-2002, 07:12 PM
I . . . I don't know.

jjreason
05-26-2002, 11:49 PM
My 3 year old will wait until we can watch it together at home. She loves EpI and doesn't care yet for the OT, just to give you reference. She asks a million questions about everything going on, and taking her to the theatre is simply not yet going to happen for both our sakes. I need to be able to pause long enough to make sure she's cool with everything before me move on. I don't want her to be scared by it and then not want to watch anymore, so I answer all her questions. Good luck, Im sure you'll know what to do when you see it.

jobi
05-27-2002, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by Caesar

Besides - the classic trilogy has at least 4 severed limbs, tauntaun innards being spilled, a decapitation, a Gammorrean Guard and skiff guards being eaten . . .

Plus Uncle Owen and Aunt beru's run in with the imperial flame-throwers.

sith_killer_99
05-27-2002, 09:38 AM
I highly recommend seeing it BEFORE taking the kids. I am not saying parents should not take their kids, and I will not preach. But do beware, this is the most violent Star Wars movie to date.

Best advice, makeup your own mind.

I have said the same thing to all of my co-workers and friends.

Besides, if we all go see it THEN go and take the kids we can boost boxoffice sales and make EPII an even bigger hit!!!;)

And put even MORE money in GL's pockets.:rolleyes:

2-1B
05-27-2002, 11:17 AM
Well, I wish Uncle George would have thrown in heaps of gore and nudity to get an R, or better yet, NC-17 rating.
The behavior of MANY kids during my several viewings was quite (as Palps would say) "unbearable". 'Lot of bad parenting going on out there. :(

JediTricks
05-28-2002, 08:21 PM
The movie is not suitable for little kids IMO, at least not in a dark theater. Maybe at home with the safety of a familiar lit area being surrounded not by strangers but instead by close family members, but it also depends on the child. I'd say kids 6 or 7 and over should be OK seeing the film in theaters with a parent alongside them, but beneath that age, it's too much scary stuff, too violent, and too brutal towards innocent characters.