PDA

View Full Version : Why no Lando figure?

2-1B
05-11-2002, 03:55 PM
I can appreciate that Lego does not want to use brown for a Lando head because they claim that would establish the yellow heads as being ethnically white.

But I have to wonder, if yellow does not equal white, why the hell haven't they made a Lando figure by now? Just make him with a yellow head, give him a distinct moustache and black hair piece, and with the blue baron administrator garb I'll have a Lando figure. Sheesh, it's not like Lego sets out to create realistic likenesses.

Again, I do appreciate Lego's perspective but I think it's terrible that Lando has not been made yet. I don't know if they're influenced by the Simpsons, but within the world of Lego yellow is the fantasy color of humans. Hayden Christensen is white, and I have a yellow figure of him. Billy Dee Williams is black, but I can't have a yellow figure of him? Makes no sense to me, I urge Lego to get on with the business of adding a Lando themed set to my collection. :)

Since there is not a Dear Lego forum here, I hope that someone (hint hint JT :D ) might bring this up to them. And if you know anything else about this situation, I'd be eager to hear it.

JediTricks
05-13-2002, 12:35 AM
I've brought it up with them before, the impression I got was that they're afraid either way they do it, they'll wind up with a controversy they can't win. They never said this, but that's the impression I got.

As for the Simpsons, Carl and Officer Lou are brown, so that sorta kills that; but I think Lego should go for yellow Lando.

LTBasker
05-13-2002, 01:58 AM
The TIE Pilot's black. :p

I guess a yellow Lando would be ok, but I'm sure there ARE some people out there who would complain about him obviously being black but it's racist to change his color so he'll "fit-in" and of course if they made him black then people would most likely chime in about more black LEGO figures being made along with other cultures to make up for LEGO's "racism" through the years.

However, they should really just go for yellow. It seems no one chimed in about them making the Indian mini-figs yellow.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-14-2002, 01:59 PM
Ah. Just a great thread. I've been thinking about this for some time, but haven't posted anything since I hardly ever visit this forum.

I totally want a Lando Lego figure. It would have been great to get him with the Cloud Car. Lobot's OK, but he's a very minor character. Plus, who are we supposed to put in the other car? A freaking Jack Stone figure?

It could have come with a cape like the Jedi figures and a nice little pistol or something. Then you could use it in the Millenium Falcon or even on the Desert Skiff (with a little imagination).

Please Hasbro, just make the Lando already! Who cares what color his head is!

JediTricks
05-14-2002, 11:31 PM
Er... ManCan, you wanna try asking the RIGHT company for that? ;)

Mandalorian Candidat
05-15-2002, 10:33 AM
Since Lego isn't listening, I might as well yell at Hasbro. Or at a brick wall for that matter. :)

Lord Tenebrous
05-15-2002, 11:24 AM
I never thought yellow was the equivalent of white, I consider it a neutral color to represent everybody. But in a PC world, less people have the imagination to make that work.

As long as the facial details and clothing are accurate, the color of the head shouldn't be an issue. So make Lando yellow. And if people complain about it, who cares? We know who it is, who it's played by, and what he looks like.

And if it's really a big issue, then make his face a pleasant shade of green, or maybe cyan.

JediTricks
05-15-2002, 01:51 PM
Heh heh, Lego Lando is the brother of Lego Yoda. ;)

LEGO actually has been known to read our comments... from time to time.

RooJay
05-21-2002, 05:31 PM
With Lego's status as an "educational" toy I'm very surprised they haven't already introduced multi-cultural Lego men. I'd like to see Lego men come in a variety of skin colors to represent all of the world's cultures. Seems like a no-brainer to me seeing as how Lego is sold in so many different countries.

JediTricks
05-21-2002, 08:11 PM
That's exactly the point of the yellow skin color on Lego minifigs - it doesn't matter where you come from, the yellow represents EVERYBODY rather than one group, so it's easy to identify with despite "racial" background.

LusiferSam
05-22-2002, 09:04 PM
I'm sure this is just TLG covering its own @$$. But still a lando would be nice.

RooJay
05-22-2002, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
That's exactly the point of the yellow skin color on Lego minifigs - it doesn't matter where you come from, the yellow represents EVERYBODY rather than one group, so it's easy to identify with despite "racial" background.
That's nice, but in my opinion it'd be much nicer for children of all races to have Lego men that are more representative of their race and culture. I think it would be better for the Lego company to try to teach children the value of diversity. The all yellow look doesn't really cut it for me, which WAS my point.

JediTricks
05-22-2002, 10:20 PM
Lego feels that the value of unity is what they want to focus on - they want to focus on the similarities of mankind, not the differences. Lego is immensely popular outside the US in many different cultures, and this has been attributed in part to a lack of racial bias on Lego's part. Rather than making "Black" mini-figs and "White" mini-figs and "Asian" mini-figs and so on and so forth, every child can imagine him or herself as the yellow mini-figure no matter their skin color.

RooJay
05-22-2002, 10:29 PM
Lego should be focusing on the value of diversity - they should promote the fact that our society is made up of many different races that can coexist peacfully, and the should celebrate diversity, not promote conformity. Lego is immensely popular outside the US in many different cultures, and this SHOULD be attributed in part to a recognition of the world's many cultures on Lego's part. Rather than making "Yellow" mini-figs, every child should be able to celebrate him or herself as the race or culture they were born into.

2-1B
05-23-2002, 02:41 AM
RooJay, it's too late for LEGO to do that because if they DID make Lando (for example) in a color representative of Billy Dee Williams, then the yellow of the other figures does = the white skin tone of the actors who played Obi-Wan, Han, etc.

That's proven by JT's example of The Simpsons, where the existence of Officer Lou and Carl does make the Simpson family "white".

And as LTBasker pointed out regarding LEGO's yellow Native American characters, a "brown" Lando would automatically make those same characters "white".

Please LEGO, don't keep Lando away anymore! :(

N-2PF
05-23-2002, 05:55 PM
There is no racial reason in Lego's philosophy. They've done
brown faces already for their "duplo"-line.

______
By the way: If there will be a Lando-smilie in the forums smilie-collection, will it be
yellow or black?

RooJay
05-23-2002, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
RooJay, it's too late for LEGO to do that because if they DID make Lando (for example) in a color representative of Billy Dee Williams, then the yellow of the other figures does = the white skin tone of the actors who played Obi-Wan, Han, etc.

That's proven by JT's example of The Simpsons, where the existence of Officer Lou and Carl does make the Simpson family "white".

And as LTBasker pointed out regarding LEGO's yellow Native American characters, a "brown" Lando would automatically make those same characters "white".

Please LEGO, don't keep Lando away anymore! :(
I fully understand this. My point, however, still stands. Perhaps Lego should make Lando Brown. Then they should also make their white characters more light fleshtoned in color, and then they should make characters representative of other races. Europeans have the capacity of being every bit as racist as americans. The Lego company's failure to produce a Lando figure thus far could be construed by some as being evidence of this. I am not saying this is the case as far as Lego is concerned, but the lack of Lando this far into the line could be seen as indicating that Lego men aren't representative of darker skinned peoples. Yellow IS a LIGHT color. To some it may seem that the color yellow is much more closely representative of light colored skin. Why not varying shades of yellow then? Why are Lego men yellow anyway? Why not some other color? Why aren't Lego men gray? It could be said that the color gray could be seen as much more neutrally representative of all races. The native american characters from Lego are a poor example in my opinion. How often have native americans been portrayed on film by white actors? There is an extended tradition of this in popular culture. I might also point out that all the Lego characters that have been given hair have hairstyles that are most determinedly representative of straight haired peoples. The founders of the Lego company are most definitely white europeans. I think it's safe to assume also that most of Lego's designers are as well. Despite what many may cosider to be minor (even inconsequential) evidence to the contrary, I contend that Lego men are, or at least WERE originally, intended to represent only the white race of their european designers. While many baseline reactionaries may take offense to the move, I believe Lego should release "brown"(in varying shades) Lego men alongside their yellow Lego men in an effort to rectify their failure to recognize cultural diversity.
This IS my opinion. While no one in this forum has outwardly implied that it is wrong, there does seem to be an intention to try to "correct" my opinion.

RooJay
05-23-2002, 08:41 PM
Thank you for posting that attachment N-2PF.

chris
06-05-2002, 02:58 PM
I don't know why this would be such a problem for Lego. We will need a Lando eventually, they can make him yellow like the rest, or give him a darker color. Either way, it would be popular.

JediTricks
06-06-2002, 02:29 AM
Because either way they do this, some group is going to complain about the avenue Lego takes which will be bad for their image. Nasty little catch-22, huh?

2-1B
06-06-2002, 02:57 AM
N-2PF,
I don't believe your Duplo example holds up since the "white" character was not made with a Yellow head. Instead, it's supposed to be a realistic peach color.

RooJay
06-06-2002, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
N-2PF,
I don't believe your Duplo example holds up since the "white" character was not made with a Yellow head. Instead, it's supposed to be a realistic peach color.

I'd probably go along with that if their Duplo figures had not ever been all yellow at some point, which they were. Why change that and not their regular Legomen?

N-2PF
06-06-2002, 04:53 PM
You're right. If the black should be represented by a brown-colored head, the white should be represented by a peach-colored head. But that belongs to humans.

Luke, Leia, Han and Lando are aliens, who lived "a long, long time ago in a galaxy far away" - like Chewbacca, Yoda and the Ewoks. The Chewbacca, Yoda and Ewoks are sculpted very well with the right color. There is even a brown-faced and a tan-faced Ewok! But the Luke, Leia, Han face-sculpt is compared to that awful, they've forgotten noses and ears and where did they saw those yellow color they got all over their faces?

JediTricks
06-06-2002, 10:51 PM
They're still supposed to be Lego System mini-figures, you add too much and they become something else, something that wouldn't be interactive with their current line a la "Jack Stone".

RooJay
06-07-2002, 12:54 AM
Not in my opinion.:)

RooJay
01-25-2003, 07:18 PM

Maybe now that they've gotten that out of the way, we'll finally get a Lego Lando.

2-1B
01-25-2003, 08:18 PM
I hope so ! :)

I haven't purchased the new Jabba sets yet, but plan to eventually. I'd love a future Skiff Lando in the future to go in the palace or on my skiff.

And of course, I'd love a Cloud City Bespin to fire at my Boba as he flees on Slave I. :D
Maybe we'll get one with a Bespin Carbon Freeze playset.

HkChicago
01-25-2003, 08:59 PM
Hey, this is the best "Why no Lando?" post I've ever read, so I'll take the time to put in my 2 cents.

The whole yellow=universal spin is LEGO covering their @$$.

Take a look at when the figs & minifigs were introduced by LEGO - take a look at 70's demographics of their workforce, their primary markets, their marketing, etc. It all comes out to: yellow is a stand in color for white people. They're yellow because at the time they only used basic colors for their molds.

With the NBA line I'm convinced we'll never see a black Lando because the white players are also a new fleshtone, so it furthers their new "yellow=universal" spin.

My solution for the Star Wars line (and Lego in general) is to embrace yellow as white, have a lighter brown (lighter then TIE pilot so subtle expressions show up better) for Lando & Mace. I think the colors are universal enough that we don't need tons of accurate fleshtones.

Whatever they do I'm confident in 3 things:
1) We won't get a Lando or Mace. They're both key characters and we haven't seen them yet already 1/2 through the license - LEGO will just play dumb on this one.
2) There will be better and better customs of these two. I'd love a yellow Lando just to get the torso and legs, Mace is pretty easy with all the throwaway Jedi extras.
3) Not for SW, but LEGO will eventually release a black character as a minifig without the NBA super-expressioned face. No help from Harry Potter here, but some series must soon demand an answer to the question of what they will do with a major character.

bobafrett
01-26-2003, 01:28 AM
Well, if they can make Yoda's, and the Gamorean guards head green, Bib's head a cream color, or the TIE fighter pilots head a dark brown, then why can't they start making a light brown Lando? I understand the first characters I mentioned are all creatures, or have there heads covered, but has anyone seen the new NBA lego sets? I think they have some color correct figures. My son and I were just checking that set out tonight, and I don't recall Shaq being yellow in color, I mean other than his lakers uniform.

IG65
01-26-2003, 11:48 PM
Don't forget that Vader's head is grey. I'm not really sure how that fits into yellow=everyone, but he is 'human' so it looks like they are already deviating from their pattern.

bobafett07728
01-27-2003, 10:56 AM
I think it is just a matter of time before they make an "accurate" Lando. The new NBA "figures" are "accurate", so that would allow them to do the same with our much-needed Lando.

By the way, I was just about to mention the whole Gray Vader / Anakin head idea. If yellow is universal. . . what the heck does that mean? Is Gray the universal color for dying Lego people? When I saw this figure, I immediately wondered why there wasn't a Lando yet. Soon after, I say the NBA line. IT will just be a mater of time I'm sure.

JediTricks
01-27-2003, 08:15 PM
Yeah, Vader is supposed to be sickly I guess - in the film he was kinda pale pink. I wish the Emperor mini-fig was gray too, his yellow pallor is far too healthy-looking to me. :D

I'll take a yellow Lando if that's the route Lego wants to go, just get it going already. I mean, he's just a dark-skinned guy, they didn't make different heads for the various color differences between Jar Jar and the Gungan Warrior, so if that's the way they wanna go, do it!

As for the NBA line, I don't think that's exactly going to be a strong example of how to go since the caucasian "name" minifigures are pink, not yellow. The yellow minifigures are like the Washington Generals or something. ;)

12inch Lando
01-31-2003, 01:42 PM
This is an interesting thread but the whole thing seems insanely easy to solve. Use yellow as your universal "everyman" color. Use more realistic colors for licensed characters or historical characters. People who have real world examples to go by. It seem so easy to me. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!:crazed:

JediTricks
01-31-2003, 10:28 PM
Then someone comes along and says "if the toy isn't brown-skinned, it's not Lando" and everybody pulls their hair out.

bobafrett
01-31-2003, 11:30 PM
I think the next time I'm at the Lego store I'll grab a couple of darker brown head shape pieces, and make a custom Lando and Mace.

JediTricks
02-01-2003, 04:56 PM
Hey, here's an idea, why not include both a yellow-skinned and brown-skinned head and hands in the set? Then folks can decide which is best for themselves and end up with extra parts... everybody loves extra parts!

bobafrett
02-01-2003, 11:55 PM
That's one thing I love about Legos, I have yet to come up short any parts in any of the Lego sets I have built to date. Usually, I end up with a few extra small pieces that I can use to add a little something to my set.

That idea sounds great Jeditricks! Anyone have an address we could write to Lego and submit that idea?

Tonysmo
02-02-2003, 02:03 AM
I'll have to agree that with the release of the NBA mini figs, Lando and Mace will be out with the next round or two of Starwars sets.. I personally wasn't shocked, but glad when I saw the NBA mini figs. While I'm not a Basketball fan, the first thing that came to mind was these ( without counting duplo ) are the 1st brown mini figs LEGO has created. As far as I know anyhow, and I've been collecting legos since childhood, and have seen all the transitions. KUDOS to LEGOS for breaking that barrier. Give it time, they will make them. They unfortunatly did miss a good optortunity for Lando ( skiff ) as they could have included him in the Jabba palace... not sure what kind of Cloud City scene they could come up with... Landing platform Lando? Nah...

JediBoulton
02-06-2003, 03:30 PM
LEGO has been around for quite some time. The fact that in the beginning, LEGO made the decision to not get caught up in this type of think by making the "Yellow Head" This was genious!! Now that COLLECTORS are wanting some realisum -- why not give it to them. There are not white people asking for white LEGOS, there are not black people asking for black LEGOS, and so on, you have COLLECTORS asking for more realistic characters -- it has nothing to do with black and white. Someone in the beginning of this tread mentioned packing several different heads with the sets -- This is a great idea. This whole tread started with someone wanting a Lando LEGO figure -- and also a Mace figure. Actually, now that I am on the tread -- I want a figure of ALL the SW universe -- make them all!!

My hat is off to LEGO for being such a universal toy line. They have done a super job over the past many years. With all this said -- as in the beginning -- we just want a Lando LEGO figure :)