PDA

View Full Version : Has Hasbro addressed the possibility of a Jawa Sandrawler for the Saga line?

Dexter
05-11-2002, 07:09 PM
One of the very, VERY few things from the vintage line that I've always wanted is a Jawa Sandcrawler. I have the Action Fleet one (which rules)--but I really want the REAL thing for my 3 3/4" collection. We have B-Wings, Y-Wings, A-Wings, T-16s, Rancors, etc., but no Sandcrawlers!!!

As one of the few vehicles from the vintage line that most of us (like me) could never, EVER afford, I would've expected this to be a hotly-demanded item that Hasbro would've given in and made by now. But they haven't. Wazzupwitdat?

Lord Tenebrous
05-11-2002, 07:29 PM
Due to the size, and therefore price, I think a big test to something like this will be the success of the Imperial Shuttle.

But they can try maybe doing it in several different pieces, first doing the base and the interior like a playset. Then a few months later, offer another compartment with an exclusive droid. Do about three of those, where once you get all the sets, they snap together into the completed Sandcrawler.

That way, the price is being distributed over a period of time, you don't have to buy the entire vehicle for a figure, and Hasbro can ship more than what they could if it was just one boxed vehicle.

bigbarada
05-11-2002, 07:35 PM
Seeing as how the Sandcrawler is essentially a big, empty, plastic box; there is no reason for it to cost more than $30. Highly doubtful the remote control feature will make it into a re-release.

AreTwo-DeeTwo
05-11-2002, 08:19 PM
I would certainly be game for the Jawa Sandcrawler. I am hoping it gets released again. I think it stands a good chance since it's in this film, a mold already exists, and collectors would go for it. Of course it would probably have to be an exclusive. I would think they would do it sometime next year. Most likely it would be through FAO.

mark2d2
05-11-2002, 08:47 PM
I've always wanted this toy redone. I think the Vintage one is Amazing. (Of course it's not to scale --- but that would be expecting far too much to begin with. Seriously, it'd be way too big to be feasible. And the multiple set approach is something that I simply cannot ever see Hasbro doing.)

All they'd have to do is retool the deco a bit. Give it the old POTJ or SAGA treatment. Use the same mold. It's a great mold!!! From what I've heard about the vintage classic --- it'd only about the size of the main body of the AT AT. I really think that this could easily been done --- even as a dreaded exclusive for $50 to $60.

This would be a great addition to the line. And with the Sandcrawler supposedly now popping up in Episode II --- I think it stands a real chance. Heck, they made the TIE BOMBER and did a bang up job on a ship that only has a whopping ten seconds of screentime. (Seriously, it is my favorite vehicle ever -- the TIE BOMBER is simply amazing . . . )

I'd love to see this. Exclusive or no --- I'll definitely hunt this puppy down.

Old Fossil
05-11-2002, 09:47 PM
I'd pay $100-$150 for this puppy, especially if they made one bigger than the vintage. I've seen one at a comics shop, and the thing is just way, way too small.

stillakid
05-11-2002, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Lord Tenebrous
Due to the size, and therefore price, I think a big test to something like this will be the success of the Imperial Shuttle.

But they can try maybe doing it in several different pieces, first doing the base and the interior like a playset. Then a few months later, offer another compartment with an exclusive droid. Do about three of those, where once you get all the sets, they snap together into the completed Sandcrawler.

That way, the price is being distributed over a period of time, you don't have to buy the entire vehicle for a figure, and Hasbro can ship more than what they could if it was just one boxed vehicle.

I don't mean to be critical or anything of the sort, but what is it with many of you and your desire for everything to be broken up into pieces? There isn't any precedent for it that comes to mind from the current line or the vintage. That's like suggesting that the Shuttle be split into 4 pieces: 2 wings a cockpit and the body. Who would buy such a thing?

I really don't think it would work that way for any of the things we want, be it the Death Star playset, a Star Destroyer, the Sandcrawler or anything else. Yeah, they made those Death Star "scenes," but they weren't constructed to fit with anything else and they were practically meaningless on their own in terms of playability context.

No, what we really need are all-in-one ships and playsets that look and "feel" like the things that are seen in the movies. That stuff will sell to a broad range of people. 4 plastic walls won't.

mark2d2
05-12-2002, 03:17 PM
I agree, Stillakid. I can't see anybody BUT diehard collectors buying toys in pieces . . .

As far as the smallness of the vintage --- who cares? I think the Vintage one is simply HANDS DOWN one of the coolest Star Wars Toys ever. And a rerelease is definitely my only shot at getting one it seems. And frankly it's the only way that would make sense for Hasbro to do one cost effectively.

Bring it on, Hasbro. Bring it on!

Rogue II
05-12-2002, 04:36 PM
I think playsets can be made in sections, but there is no reason to break up a vehicle.

I never had the Sandcrawler as a kid and don't remember ever seeing one. I just checked out Ebay, most of the ones there were missing lots of parts.

LusiferSam
05-12-2002, 05:36 PM
Would I buy the Sandcrawler if it was rereleased? Yes. But with that said, you know it going to be done with the same mold like most of the other rereleases. And like the rest it's likely to have some "exclusive" figure and NO electronics i.e. not radio controlled. Which would be very lame, because that what make the vintage so cool in my mind.

evenflow
05-12-2002, 07:14 PM
The Sandcrawler would rock. I would love one. It should include a bunch of exclusive droids and parts and stuff like that.

hamsterboy
05-13-2002, 12:59 AM
Don't care what it does or doesn't come with,as long as they make one.

hairless chewie
05-13-2002, 03:47 AM
How about one disguised as a carry case??

Jargo
05-13-2002, 06:36 AM
There's no way on earth I'm paying more than $70 for one. It's not that big and it's empty. Take the remote control feature away and it's a carry case. It's not that special in terms of the sculpt anyway. I'd certainly buy one if it was made for my collection to get that extra little something but I wouldn't exactly go into raptures about the vintage version. I'd rather see a new sculpt done in a slightly larger scale without the stupid droid lift with decent treads that work instead of wheels hidden inside fake treads and with lights in the cockpit. The side should fold down to show a Jawa droid workshop of some description to give added play value and the front should hinge down so you can recreate a Jawa swap meet if you get more than one sandcrawler. I see no reason for it to contain a pack-in of any description as the figures sold with vehicles are never any good. Much better to get the figures with more detail and better quality seperately on single cards.
I also don't believe that FAO should be allowed anywhere near this thing and it should go to WAL*MART or TRU instead.

plasticfetish
05-13-2002, 01:20 PM
This would be a super holiday release ... the idea of a droid workshop w/ included figures is great (imagine a baggie full of droid limbs. etc.) ... for something like this the draw is play-value and not how amazing the sculpt is. For sure, not an FAO exclusive, I seriously hate that place ... what, you want to pay twice what it's worth? ("Always low prices, always Wal-Mart") Around $100 isn't too unreasonable if it's got enough bells and whistles ... how much was that imperial AT-AT a while ago anyway? Remote control is cool in theory ... but those parts don't generaly hold up well over time. (Take it from the guy that obliterated a remote control R2-D2 over 20 years ago.)

Not to mention, my son is obsessed with Jawas ... the perfect excuse for me to buy one.

mark2d2
05-14-2002, 12:59 AM
Okay, there's a thread over on the forums at Rebelscum.com where a guy claims that The Sandcrawler is currently slated as TBA on Hasbro's list of possible exclusives for the year at Toy Fair Australia. Okay, so this information is unreliable at best, but it's a step in the right direction.

evenflow
05-14-2002, 07:56 AM
It sounds all cool. But i won't believe it until it is official. I hope that if they do finally redo it, they do it right.

eliwankenobi
05-14-2002, 10:49 AM
I agree with Hairless Chewie. I think the best way for them to produce a Sandcrawler would be to modify the original mold (yeah, it's not to scale, but it's good enough) and make it into some kind of figure storage case. That would rock!
Instead of doing some kind of lame pack-in figure though, I'd like to see them reproduce and include the droid parts from the vintage Droid Factory (That was one of my fave toys!!). That way we could have a Sandcrawler full of droid junk - or a storage case for some of our figs.
Presented in that format, I think this item would be successful at appealing to both kids and collectors. Let's keep our digits crossed...

mark2d2
05-14-2002, 01:16 PM
I hate the carrying case idea. This would ruin it -- I think.

Jargo
05-14-2002, 02:26 PM
I agree up to a point. I agree that the carry case idea is terrible because it's just a big hunk of nothing that way. making the insides workable as a foundry/factory are true to the Jawa characters and those early images drawn by McQuarrie, fleshed out in the incredible cross sections book and finally visualised in 3D in AOTC. I agree that the front should be a droid hold to store figures in and the top should remain the opening cockpit/control center for the Jawas. If there are to be pack-in droid parts then let them at least be decently sculpted and on a par with the quality of POTJ. You can easily make your own junk to fill the droid hold with, out of cheap model kit parts painted dirty grey and brown colours. Stick the droids and that stuff in a compartment and it will look great.
If the size means higher cost then I say leave out the remote control and any electronics and keep the cost lower.

stillakid
05-14-2002, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by eliwankenobi
I agree with Hairless Chewie. I think the best way for them to produce a Sandcrawler would be to modify the original mold (yeah, it's not to scale, but it's good enough) and make it into some kind of figure storage case. That would rock!
Instead of doing some kind of lame pack-in figure though, I'd like to see them reproduce and include the droid parts from the vintage Droid Factory (That was one of my fave toys!!). That way we could have a Sandcrawler full of droid junk - or a storage case for some of our figs.
Presented in that format, I think this item would be successful at appealing to both kids and collectors. Let's keep our digits crossed...

That's a killer idea and makes total sense. I always wanted the Droid Factory and the Sandcrawler (which I finally got...eventually...but incomplete :cry: ), but combining them is so logical, it is almost ridiculous that they didn't do it in the first place.

LTBasker
05-14-2002, 11:36 PM
Ya know, for the remote controlled thing, what they could make two bottom pieces and make everything be able to snap to the bottom piece (which can also cut down on box size) and so they could make an electronic bottom piece and offer it through the Fan Club so those who want it can get it and those who don't want it can stick with their original one and stores don't need to worry about the electronic piece becoming a shelf-warmer or anything.

Course, the thing is that's a if Hasbro cared about what the people wanted thing and not "what people want and we can make cheaply so we get profits no matter what!" :rolleyes:

stillakid
05-14-2002, 11:41 PM
What if they made it like one of those superfast race car things? You know, the ones that are basically a battery with four wheels on it. Then we could replicate that shot from the EP I DVD of the Sandcrawler in the podrace.;)

mark2d2
05-21-2002, 02:49 AM
I'm still hoping for this one. My fingers are crossed . . .

JON9000
05-24-2002, 07:20 PM
If Hasbro makes a new sandcrawler I hope they go for a completely new design- I do not have any nostalgia for the vintage, as neither I nor my friends had one. All I do know is that it is way too small in scale to the figures. It needs to be AT-AT size at least. As far as playability, although I know sandcrawlers do not do this in the movies, perhaps Hasbro could design it to unfold- sort of like the G.I.Joe mobile command center or Optimus Prime's trailer- into a droid factory. That would make it cool to display as a vehicle and fun to play with too! I would really like some obscure droids to come with it- the funny one that scuttles in front of the gonk droid, the black dome shaped droid, or the one that lost the fan's choice contest.

Jargo
05-24-2002, 07:49 PM
R1-G4 drone reactor droid is the droid who lost in the fan choice poll :) Seen in the sale of the droids and rolling round Mos Eisley a couple of times. Also the same type seen in Watto's shop behind the counter turning its head this way and that. Big and lumbering. Outdated as far as star wars technologies go even in TPM. Probably a relic of the original settlers on Tatooine just like the Sandcrawlers are supposed to be.

DarthBrandon
05-24-2002, 07:51 PM
I'd like to see one also, but not a resculpt. I would like to see a totally new mold because the way I look at it Vintage is Vintage. It's like me saying I want the new shuttle with the same mold as my vintage one. Like to see that crawler though.

Oh and if they made the shuttle, I think it should be a tad bigger than the original one ( the cockpit and neck where landing platform is for one) so figures can move through the ship with ease. My old one can't do that.

stillakid
05-24-2002, 09:55 PM
...with big movable treads! ...and lights! ...and retracting vacuum tube! ...stairs!

mark2d2
05-25-2002, 03:01 AM
C'mon Hasbro! Bring it on! The Fans seriously will snap up a Sandcrawler!!!