PDA

View Full Version : Will you buy Ultiamte Yoda?

2-1B
05-12-2002, 01:30 PM
I was eyeing him up at the midnight madness sale, but I don't believe that I could spend $100 on it. :(
I think he looks neat, but when I looked on the back of the box I noticed he is hollow. I guess I just assumed he would be one solid set. I know there's not really a reason for them to make the set solid, but it would be cool to have all those extra pieces for the price of the set. If (when) he drops to clearance, I might buy him. I'll have to determine what I think to be a reasonable price.

What do you think? Will you consider buying him? Have you purchased him already?

fourtwo
05-12-2002, 03:28 PM
i don't have that kind of money to spend on a weird looking statue. i had to put back slave I cause it was too much for me at the time.

LusiferSam
05-12-2002, 06:26 PM
No way. I love Legos, but that thing is ugly.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-14-2002, 03:07 PM
The whole thing with Legos is to break them apart and make other stuff. If you're going to get a statue, why not get one that looks like the actual character and is actually a statue?

I would rather spend $100 on the regular Lego sets than this thing or the other stuff from the UCS.

2-1B
05-14-2002, 03:45 PM
But it's not a statue! You've got all those extra pieces to build . . . well, you could probably build a green and tan hut. Or a box. :D

BTW, thanks to nobody for telling me I misspelled "Ultimate" in the thread title. :mad:

:D

Lord Tenebrous
05-15-2002, 12:26 PM
I don't care for the Yoda, but that Blockade Runner at Target is quite appealing. But I'm just a broke college student who will have to make due with his old Lego sets.

JediTricks
05-15-2002, 02:46 PM
I'm on the "sorry, not for me" list on Yoda. I think it's a cool idea, a spin-off from the Target giveaway, but it just isn't my style and the price is too high for my wallet.

chris
06-07-2002, 11:08 AM
I want it, it is only 13" tall and it is $100. i probably will buy it after it goes on sale.

LTBasker
06-07-2002, 05:34 PM
Dunno, it just isn't all that appealing. Now if it were a life-size statue for $100...

LEGO's pricing sure has gone up alot, anyone know why? I know there are the special pieces and stuff, but it's gotta be embarassing when they're even more expensive than Hasbro.

DarthBrandon
06-07-2002, 05:46 PM
Way too high a price to pay for something from Lego. I do however love the look of the Blockade Runner, but also I would never pay that much for a Lego set. What do they think the people are ROCKAFELLERS or what? No thanks, I'll stick to action figures till the price drops dramatically,

Jonna
06-07-2002, 05:49 PM
I really have no interest in legos so no!

joeroy
06-07-2002, 09:04 PM
When having sale I may consider.

humsup
06-07-2002, 09:43 PM
What can I do with all those green bricks? This Yoda set has little value and it doesn't even look like Yoda in my opinion. So, not getting... even at sale, not getting.

JediTricks
06-08-2002, 01:33 AM
Basker, 13"-tall Yoda would be exactly half-size, that's pretty good IMO. ;)

As for why the pricing has gone up, I'll try to ask that next time I get a chance, but I bet the answer is that the costs for raw materials and shipping have gone up - Lego kept inflation at bay for quite a while. The reason their parts are more expensive than a company like Mega Bloks is because Lego's quality tolerances and standards are ridiculously high, much more so than Mega Bloks - Lego demands only the highest quality materials in their products, as well as constant issues of colorfastness, brick texture, and especially size tolerances - which are RIDICULOUSLY refined to an incredibly small number for a perfect build every time. Personally, when I play with Lego, or when I give Lego toys as a gift, I accept that I'm paying more because I know I'm getting and/or giving a quality that will ensure the best possible fun experience that a building toy can give. And after several of my Mega Bloks sets fell apart and/or cut up my hand during building/rebuilding, believe me, that issue matters to me more now than when I was a kid.

saladin
06-08-2002, 02:14 PM
I'm going to get the yoda no matter what but i wanna know how sweet it is or am i going to be disapointed.

Warstar
06-10-2002, 04:42 AM
I must say, I purchased the Yoda with some skepticism, but I'll tell you what, when completedm it's one HELL of a conversation piece!

People love it. Simple as that. I have some parties over here and they see my UCS Blockade Runner and are like "OOoo. Neat" but when they see Yoda, they LOVE him...and probably think I am a freak for getting him, too :p

Still, yes- he's not solid pieces but he is STURDY. I mean I had a few issues constructing but in the end, he's fully mobile and can be positioned anywhere. You can remove the Blissflute but NOT easily (as the connections are built into the base of the backside of the neck). His eyes are fully movable, and kind of cool to mess with. The hands with the cane are attached via peghole connectors.

I had a little trouble getting the head and wrinkles just right, but it wasn't too hard to reverse construct and fix them.

I DO recommend buying it- he's a fun build and an eye-catcher. I am personally glad I got him :)

Now only if Lego will make it so I can give him a green saber (like the Celebration II version)...that would be call as a Shop-At-Home Expansion kit or something...

Which is somthing else I wonder about. ACPin has made some GREAT customs with his UCS TIE Interceptor. Wouldn't it be COOL if Lego sold the parts along with instructions so you could put various TIE's together using the UCS TIE set?

Just an idea :p

Sgumm
06-10-2002, 08:22 PM
Now only if Lego will make it so I can give him a green saber (like the Celebration II version)...that would be call as a Shop-At-Home Expansion kit or something...

I had the exact same feeling when I saw the pics of Yoda at CII. Having him pose with his lightsaber drawn was one of the coolest things I've seen done with legos. I just don't have the creativity to add the saber though. Maybe one day if I have enough time I'll break it down and give it a go. The trick might be gettin the little grin off his face and giving him a more scowling or determined look.

Warstar
06-10-2002, 11:00 PM
That might work well, but you need extra pieces (I would assume) for making the arms and the pose. Probably the hands, too...you might need to buy a second Yoda kit just to get it done... And of course, to say nothing of buidling the Lightsaber!

Of course, I am tempted to buy a second Millennium Falcon to make a Dash Rendar's Outrider...but that's me :D

ACPin
06-10-2002, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Warstar
Which is somthing else I wonder about. ACPin has made some GREAT customs with his UCS TIE Interceptor. Wouldn't it be COOL if Lego sold the parts along with instructions so you could put various TIE's together using the UCS TIE set?

Just an idea :p
Thanks for the compliments! :cool:

I must say that I was about to get this piece except for the fact that I saw these boxes on clearance. You're not gonna like this, but I got three UCS TIE Interceptors for $29.99 each!

Yoda or 3 UCS TIE Interceptors? :confused: :evil: Sorry, Yoda got to go! :D

LTBasker
06-11-2002, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Basker, 13"-tall Yoda would be exactly half-size, that's pretty good IMO. ;)

As for why the pricing has gone up, I'll try to ask that next time I get a chance, but I bet the answer is that the costs for raw materials and shipping have gone up - Lego kept inflation at bay for quite a while. The reason their parts are more expensive than a company like Mega Bloks is because Lego's quality tolerances and standards are ridiculously high, much more so than Mega Bloks - Lego demands only the highest quality materials in their products, as well as constant issues of colorfastness, brick texture, and especially size tolerances - which are RIDICULOUSLY refined to an incredibly small number for a perfect build every time. Personally, when I play with Lego, or when I give Lego toys as a gift, I accept that I'm paying more because I know I'm getting and/or giving a quality that will ensure the best possible fun experience that a building toy can give. And after several of my Mega Bloks sets fell apart and/or cut up my hand during building/rebuilding, believe me, that issue matters to me more now than when I was a kid.

True true, I guess that's another reason why pricing went down for the Saga line when it was released. ;)

I got an idea about "filling up" Yoda. Since usually stores carry bulk piece sets, think it would be possibly to buy one of those buckets and fill the Yoda up? The colors wouldn't match of course but they'd be hidden inside as a support structure. Don't cost much either, do they? $16-$20 I think.

Oh yeah, if you bought multiple Yoda sets like if they were clearanced, think you would be able to combine them (or with a third ones help) and make it double the size for a 1:1 scale? Following the instructions but scaling them up as you go along. I heard about this one person who built a 7' tall Yoda out of LEGOs to stand with him as he waited for May 16th outside the theatre and it look like he followed the LEGO Yoda design.

Needles
07-09-2002, 12:29 AM
Yoda looks ugly and is too expensive ,the highest priced lego set I have cost me 90$ the republic Gunship,and at least it funner to mess with,I think I can add on to yoda,like put a stupid looking hat on it,but too much money to do that.Im better off just looking at it through pictures,but why would I its the worst lego Idea since Jack Stone and they came out just about a year ago too.....