PDA

View Full Version : World Trade Center Terrorist Attacks

SirSteve
09-11-2001, 08:39 AM
My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone directly involved...
It's a terrible thing that happened to our country.

JediTricks
09-11-2001, 08:42 AM
Truly awful, whomever did this and planned this should burn in the lowest depths of Hell for this horrifying action.

I cannot even fathom the type of scum who would have so little respect for humanity that they would do such a horrible thing.

Now there appears to be an attack on Washington DC as well. There is a report of fire at the Pentagon and the area around the White House.

Fulit
09-11-2001, 08:59 AM
Why are they always going for the World Trade Center? I'm sick of these damn terrorists.

JediCole
09-11-2001, 09:06 AM
The important thing now is to not cower to the terrorists. If nothing else, this has been a wake up call to the fact that we are vulnrable to attack. This is shaping up to be the greatest tragedy in the history of this country, but it is important that this unify us as a nation.

JediTricks
09-11-2001, 09:11 AM
I don't know why these terrorists target the WTC, but it's probably because the WTC a symbol of American power, even though it's not a government building.

humsup
09-11-2001, 09:13 AM
Yes, the Pentagon was hit and I saw the newsflash on TV now. It seems that one of the tower of the WTC has collapse!! That's truly a tradgedy and condemnation goes to those terrorists. What causes them to have such a SICK SICK mind!!!:mad:

JediTricks
09-11-2001, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by JediCole
The important thing now is to not cower to the terrorists. If nothing else, this has been a wake up call to the fact that we are vulnrable to attack. This is shaping up to be the greatest tragedy in the history of this country, but it is important that this unify us as a nation. What's most horrifying that only 4 or 5 people could have actually done this.

Fulit
09-11-2001, 09:34 AM
Well, we no longer HAVE a World Trade Center. I am sickened by this, we must get revenge.

JediTricks
09-11-2001, 09:41 AM
Part of the Pentagon has collapsed.

There's been a car bombing at the State dept.

There are unconfirmed reports of a downed 747 in Pennsylvania.

The other World Trade Center building has collapsed.

12inch Lando
09-11-2001, 09:48 AM
Nothing will ever be the same again.

JediCole
09-11-2001, 09:48 AM
The most frightening thing about this is how much of our national infrastructure is housed on the East coast. If nothing else this also needs to serve to help us as a nation rethink the way our financial and structural centers are configured. Shut down the East coast and you almost shut down the nation. Food for thought...

SirSteve
09-11-2001, 09:58 AM
Since all the major news sites are down, can everyone please keep the latest news posted here.

JediTricks
09-11-2001, 09:58 AM
That's an interesting point Cole. I hadn't thought about it at all, one of my main moneymaking systems is in New York, and yet I just didn't think about it at all till you mentioned that.

Apparently, 2 of the flights were originally destined for Los Angeles before they were hijacked. One from Boston to LA and one from DC's Dulles to LA.

Boba Rhett
09-11-2001, 10:02 AM
They are evacuating The White House as we speak and ALL air traffic nation wide has been shutdown.

Both Towers have now collapsed. Persumed to have killed most everyone still in the building. I think each tower holds something like 50,000 people.

Both planes that were flown into the towers were passenger planes. One contained 60 people, the other, 90.

One more plane is unaccounted for.

The center of the pentagon is collapsing.

Another plane apparently tried to be hijacked but crashed at the airport.

They now have all major cities under military gaurd and jet fighters are over new york and Washington D.C.

The report that a car bomb had gone off was a false report.

I can't believe it. I just can't believe it.

This is the beginning of the end, people.

JediCole
09-11-2001, 10:12 AM
Boba Rhett, don't let yourself believe that this is the begining of the end, that just plays into the hands of those who orchestrated this disaster. Someone has sent a message, and one that we need to heed. But this is not the end of anything but our own complacence.

JediTricks
09-11-2001, 10:13 AM
Boba Rhett, these I haven't seen reported or confirmed yet:

- Persumed to have killed most everyone still in the building. I think each tower holds something like 50,000 people.
(The first tower wasn't really totally open when it was hit, mostly only tourists were inside, and early employees as I've heard. Not everybody was killed in either building though, and the 2nd building was already being evacuated when the first one was hit. Only 150,000 people a day visit the WTC, that's over the course of one whole day)

- Both planes that were flown into the towers were passenger planes. One contained 60 people, the other, 90.
(I've heard no confirmation of amount of passengers, but it was American Airlines flight 11 to LA from Boston that was one used in the attack)

- The center of the pentagon is collapsing.
(There's no center to the Pentagon, only one part of this 5-sided building is collapsing thus far that I've heard.)

American Airlines Flights 11 and 77 are confirmed lost, 11 was Boston to LA and 77 was Dulles to LA. These may or may not be 2 of the planes used for the attacks we've seen yet.

Fulit
09-11-2001, 10:29 AM
"The worst Intelligence failure since Pearl Harbor"

That quote is from a Clinton Administration terrorist expert. That about sums it up IMO, for the new administration. Bush's new administration is really going to have to prove itself.

I just heard that the whole government of Afghanistan will be held responsible for this., due to the Embassy bombings in Africa, and their alleged support of the entire terrorist organization involved in both attacks.

I think this is definitely due more to our failure at intelligence than the terrorists smarts.

JediTricks
09-11-2001, 10:44 AM
United Airlines is confirming that two of their planes were used, a 767 from Newark, NJ to San Francisco; and flight 175, it's a 757 from Boston to LA.

Boba Rhett
09-11-2001, 10:45 AM
There were people trapped in the upper floors of the buildings. I highly doubt the survived.

The first plane held like 58 passengers one flight attendant and two pilots and the second held like 81 passengers 9 flight attendants and two pilots.

What I said about the Pentagon, that came out wrong, I didn't mean it that way.

Brave Sir Robin
09-11-2001, 10:46 AM
i also heard talk of Nostrodamus type armageddon things about this incident. indeed, it is a terrible, terrible thing, but i dont think this is the end.

Starfig873
09-11-2001, 10:53 AM
This is truly a horrible event. I can't believe that something of this magnitude short of the OKC bombing has happened in my lifetime. I am both scared and enraged at the same time. This will dig a deep scare in America's history.

Fulit
09-11-2001, 10:56 AM
Now I'm hearing a report that says Bin-Laden was quoted a few weeks ago as saying there would be a massive attack on American interests and that it would be in the coming weeks and would be on a large scale. I don't know how much of this is true, but if he said anything at all hinting towards it, how could this slip past Intelligence?

JediCole
09-11-2001, 10:56 AM
Yes, these doomsday scenario speculations serve no purpose but to fuel the power that such acts give to those that perpetrate them. I am not seeking to downplay the tragedy, not in the least, but the more we let ourselves play into the hands of terrorists, the more we ultimately encourage the escalation of such acts. And I take great issue with the statment by a former Clinton official that this was an intelegence disaster on the order of Pearl Harbor. It is far too early to be placing historical blame when we do not know today how much forewarning may have existed. I loose patience with the kind of political postering that such statements, that play to the part of our population who prefer to latch on to pat statements and seem incapable of drawing conclusions on their own. Such declarations merely serve to lend further strength to the actions of the terrorists by trying to place partial blame on the current leadership.
I encourage you all who read these posts, watch or listen to the news reports, and begin to digest the full scope of what has occured today to take pause and think for yourselves and draw your own conclusions, not those spoon fed to you by others. And in the end, draw strenght from tragedy. We have only experienced what could have happened at any time in (at the very least) the last two decades. Terrorism was not born today, nor did the United States just become a target as of this morning. The threat has been there for decades, let us not forget that as we anylize these events.

El Chuxter
09-11-2001, 11:00 AM
Whatever Force or equivalent any of us may believe in, there's been a great disturbance. :(

Whoever is responsible wants our entire nation to cower in fear, so we cannot do that. But this definitely needs to serve as a wake up call to us all.

As much as I hate violence in any form, this cannot go unpunished. It may take weeks or months to find out for sure who was responsible, but they must be stopped--not out of vengeance, but to protect more lives. The perpetrator(s) is/are not even a hair better than Hitler or Stalin.

I just read on msnbc.com (after trying several dozen times to get on) that a plane had crashed 70 or 80 miles out from Philadelphia. Sounds like a failed attempt at Philly, but I'm no terrorist expert by any means.

And here's an excerpt from an e-mail I got a few minutes ago from a friend of mine who works for a law office near the Mall in Washington. It contains some reports which, so far as I know, aren't confirmed:

> > I just got back from the doctor's office -- I was there from 9:30-11:00 and
> > in that time, stuff has happened at the Mall, the Pentagon, the State
> > Building, the Old Executive Building. The streets are clogged with traffic.
> > I don't know how I'm getting home. They've closed the Pentagon metro stop.
> > I'm going to try to get out of here just as soon as I can. They've closed
> > the local and federal governments...this is so bad, it's so bad, it's so
> > scary.

> The Mall, State Building, Old Executive Building?

Well, these are things unconfirmed...I don't know what's true and what isn't...Supposedly there have been car bombs and there may be another plane in the air. I'm going to try to get out of here now. Pray for us all and hopefully we'll be talking again tomorrow.

Boba Rhett
09-11-2001, 11:04 AM
The mall as well as all the government buildings around here have been evacuated and closed down. Is this happening were you guys are too?

*EDIT* I heard that Canada has shut down all their air traffic. Is this report true?

Obi-Dan Kenobi
09-11-2001, 11:09 AM
Actually, there is a center to the Pentagon, sort of. I believe it is a vast underground bunker there, and thaat is where much of the leadership of the US military makes their important decisions. This would be the last area cleared out in a situation like this. They were just saying that this area may become flooded as they fight the fires and will probably have to be evacuated, further complicating matters.

I don't pretend to be an expert on this sort of thing, so correct me if I'm wrong.

I just can't believe it. Seeing this on tv, I was thinking this is the sort of thing you see in a movie, and you think, "There's no way that could happen." And yet it has!

I don't think there's any precedent for this. Nothing like this has happened on this scale, at any time, anywhere. This isn't just similar to Pearl Harbor; this goes faar beyond it. I think neither Gingrich nor the expert from Clinton's administration are exaggerating. I'm stunned.

vulcantouch
09-11-2001, 11:10 AM
thus, it's important to remember that "terrorism" and "exercise of force by legitimate authorities" are mere semantics dictated by said authorities.
it's important to remember that in the end there is no such thing as an "innocent civilian". we on this side of the fence are the beneficiaries of countless victories past and present- victories which inevitably meant defeat for someone else. from time to time, this is the price we'll have to pay for those advantages.
at a time like this, it's important to keep one's vision unclouded by indignant, sanctimonious notions of the moral superiority of one's own side, and simply attend efficiently to the situation at hand.
wanna do something? go donate some blood-
vt

Fulit
09-11-2001, 11:18 AM
I bet the pilots of those other two planes took them down on purpose so as not to have to crash into any more buildings. I know this is wild specualtion, but it's just a hunch.

I am now being disgusted by reports that Palestinians are celebrating in the streets, shouting "God is great".

JediTricks
09-11-2001, 11:25 AM
American Airlines said that between their 2 lost planes used in these cowardly attacks, 156 passengers and crewmembers were aboard.

United Airlines has not made that kind of statement yet.

Boba Rhett
09-11-2001, 11:27 AM
Yeah, Those guys performed a great service by grounding those things before the terrorists could take control of them.

The palistians are even throwing candy!! We've been trying to help these people too! :mad: The president says it's horrible but I bet he's just as happy as his people are.

Starfig873
09-11-2001, 11:35 AM
This is one thing I've observed in my lifetime, religion can be, and has been in the past, taken too far. And in turn can cause much more severe problems than good.

And Vulcantouch, very good reply.

Fulit
09-11-2001, 11:38 AM
I agree Starfig873.
I'm just sitting here, and what I can't understand is, what did we ever do to these people to deserve this? I know the U.S. has made mistakes, but..........?????????????????

JediCole
09-11-2001, 11:44 AM
Despite the fact that Bin-Laden had made a threat (that appears to have been carried out), can anyone actually fathom a way that we (as a nation) could ever have forseen how that threat would be carried out? Short of closing down every building, means of transportation, and business in the entire nation, closing our borders and declaring martial law such a disaster could not have been prevented as it could not have been predicted (the exact nature of the attack, that is). As someone has pointed out, this was unprecedented. To my knowledge, this means of attack (hijacking a plane and crashing it into an important building) has NEVER been used ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD. It is for this reason that I take issue with the concept that this is an intellegence disaster on the order of Pearl Harbor. The world was at war and the U.S. was vulnrable during Word War II, and rather ironically the U.S. carrier fleet was conspicuously absent at Pearl Harbor when the Japanese Navy attacked. Apart from the disasterous nature and the prevailance of casualties, there is NO comparison to Pearl Harbor.

El Chuxter
09-11-2001, 11:47 AM
I haven't heard those reports, but that's truly sick. Even if we were at war, the loss of civilian life--or even of military life--is not something to be celebrated.

Since the news sites are clogged, I'm going to quote the timeline of events thus far from http://www.msnbc.com/news/627028.asp?0cb=-11622998:

8:42 a.m. ET First plane slams into the north tower of the World Trade Center
9:00 a.m.ET Approximately 18 minutes later, a second plane slams into the south tower of the World Trade Center.
The planes are later identified as American Airlines Flight 11, a Boeing 767 with 81 passengers, nine flight attendants and two pilots, hijacked after takeoff from Boston en route to Los Angeles, and American Airlines Flight 77, a Boeing 757 en route from Dulles Airport near Washington, carrying 58 passengers, four flight attendants and two pilots.
9:24 a.m. ET Bush calls today’s plane crashes at the World Trade Center "an apparent terrorist attack on our country."
9:32 a.m. ET Stock Exchange closed
9:35 a.m. ET An aircraft crashes on a helicopter landing pad near the Pentagon. A portion of one side of the five-sided structure collapses
9:50 a.m.ET The first tower, One World Trade Center, collapses in a plume of ash and debris.
10:05 a.m.ET The White House is evacuated.
10:30 a.m.ET Two World Trade Center, the second tower collapses.
10:29 a.m. ET United Airlines Flight 93, a Boeing 757 en route from Newark, N.J., to San Francisco, crashes just north of the Somerset County Airport, about 80 miles southeast of Pittsburgh. The plane was carrying 38 passengers, two pilots and five flight attendants.
The FAA order the entire nationwide air traffic system shut down.
American Airlines expresses concern about the fate of another plane, Flight 175, a Boeing 767 bound from Boston to Los Angeles.
12:00 p.m. E.T. The border between the United States and Mexico is sealed

The article says the other plane unaccounted for in this timeline crashed, as did another shortly after takeoff in Pennsylvania.

JediCole
09-11-2001, 11:57 AM
I would like to hereby salute Vulcan Touch both for his clear vision of the nature of the world and for the single best suggestion made on this forum to date. Now is the time for us as a country to bend our efforts toward the collection of blood rather than the shedding of blood.
It is my sincere hope that such a concept will be embraced on a national level and that more blood will be collected this week from donations nationwide than was lost in the locations of this disaster. Contact your local television and radio stations, spread the word. Let us show the terrorist community that we are stronger than they will ever hope to be, and to show those that celebrate our loss with proclamations that "God is good", that God truly is good, and can inspire us to find reasons to help rather than hurt.
I thank you all.

Obi-Dan Kenobi
09-11-2001, 12:14 PM
Yeah, I think the level of tragedy is unprecedented, but I have a hard time wondering how this could have been forseen. Who would have expected this method of attack?

Incidentally, I remember hearing that the Columbine kids's plan went well beyond their high school and that they planned to hijack a plane and crash it into the middle of Manhattan.

Apparantly Camp David was the target for the plane that crashed in Pittsburg, according to what they're saying on TV now.

JediCole
09-11-2001, 12:50 PM
The Camp David connection is not surprising as today is the 20th Anniversary of the Camp David Accord being signed. It seems that targets included political as well as financial and military sites.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-11-2001, 01:30 PM
I think these events just shows how savage, brutal and just pure evil some human beings can be. It is scary to think that the fanatic notions and hatred burn in people so bright, that they totally disregard the well being of other people and purposely use them as just as human collateral--someone who unwillingly died for their cause.
I urge the U.S. to exercise caution and not to be hasty in their judgment, if they decide to retaliate. As we can see in the Middle East, retaliation has lead to more car bombs, suicide bombings, more hatred, and more bloodshed. Old wounds that had started to heal begin to rip open. People are brought up and taught to hate a certain group of people, whether they are good persons or not, simply cuz they are of that group of people. And the cycle never seems to end...

What drives human beings do to this? I wish I knew.

evenflow
09-11-2001, 02:45 PM
It is truly terrible. I live right across the river and could see everything. I DJ at a radio station in the area and we just did news updates all day.So many people have been affected by this. It has changed the world as we know it. It is a sad day in history.

Starfig873
09-11-2001, 02:55 PM
I think Terminator 2 said it best: "It is in your nature to destroy yourselves"

Things are nuts here in Oklahoma! People are lined up around the block in their cars trying to get to the gasoline pumps. It almost seems madness has taken control. I have to wonder what things are going to be like in the coming week.

Brave Sir Robin
09-11-2001, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by vulcantouch
thus, it's important to remember that "terrorism" and "exercise of force by legitimate authorities" are mere semantics dictated by said authorities.
it's important to remember that in the end there is no such thing as an "innocent civilian". we on this side of the fence are the beneficiaries of countless victories past and present- victories which inevitably meant defeat for someone else. from time to time, this is the price we'll have to pay for those advantages.
at a time like this, it's important to keep one's vision unclouded by indignant, sanctimonious notions of the moral superiority of one's own side, and simply attend efficiently to the situation at hand.
wanna do something? go donate some blood-
vt

that is such a great idea. If I was 18 I would go and donate blood immediatly to those who need it.

Fulit
09-11-2001, 03:00 PM
I get you, Starfig873. People here in Little Rock are filling up gas cans due to a rumor that the Refinery will be shut down. It seems to be a time when all rumors will be taken seriously.

My wife can't give blood due to her small size, but I am leaving the house to do so as I type this.

I will be checking back to these forums to see all of your opinions and thoughts on this situation, because I feel we all have something valuable to contribute. Take care..........

Grif
09-11-2001, 03:21 PM
I watched both towers fall on CNN. I want to say that my hat goes off to the pilot that crashed his plane in Pennyslvania because he did not want the terroists to hit another U.S. city. I pray that God will help us through this tragedy and that he will bring the U.S. and everyone back to normal in a few days. My prayers go out to the families of the innocent people that have died.:(

SirSteve
09-11-2001, 03:42 PM
I'd just like to say that we have a few people from Action Online (who hosts us) in NYC covering Pre-Toy Fair as we speak and everyone is ok. I was scheduled to attend as well but since Hasbro is not showing anything (it's primarily a retail event), I did not need to go.

Don't confuse this with Toy Fair that is in February which is a much bigger event.

Attached is a picture from one of our guys taken from the top of the Toy Building where Pre-Toy Fair is held.

Jargo
09-11-2001, 04:10 PM
I've been watching the news all day with tears in my eyes as I see those folk at the top of the buildings waving for help. then the images of the plane slam the tower, then the horrific nightmare of the fall. So many call for retribution and all i can think is that so many are gone who were so innocent. The staff of world businesses who were simply in the building to file some paperwork or deliver mail. office workers guys like you or I. I can hardly think straight in the wake of this tragedy and my heart goes out to the friends and families of those who died. I hope any of our friends here at SSG were not involved or near the sites. I hope we hear from all of them soon. this is all too much for me to take in.
britain has shut down all the airports and the armed forces and police are in a near state of national emergency. Prime Minister Blair has said that there are no words to express the British condemnation of this attack. He is pledging support to America although how this support manifests is unclear. All television schedules are halted replaced by bulletins and extended coverage to bring up to date news of this tragedy to my nation.
we have taken in so many refugees lately that I fear for my country. britain is a strong ally to America and is therefore a prime terrorist target. But that is small fry compared to the loss and devastation.
When I watched the Berlin wall come down I had great hopes for world peacefullness if not peace. It seems that the countries of the middle east are hell bent on quite the opposite. You cannot punish a zealot as they do not fear retribution. they are driven by hatred and misinformation. All we can do is pick the pieces and keep telling ourselves that we are strong and will not give in to bullying and terrorism of any kind. We are bigger individually than the sum of them. We are civilised and we will become stronger with each blow. Armageddon has not come, a tragedy has and it is our duty to grow and learn from it.

mrhat
09-11-2001, 04:16 PM
A senseless act of terrorism against our nation, it is very scary to have 5 of our Most notible Buldings (Pentigon, World Trade Towers, Camp David, State Buliding) We now see that our nation is in need of assistance and i wouldnt be suprised if Gearge w. Bush declairs a state of emergency for the US. All Flights have been cancelled, and oure nation is at a standstill in horror and awe. My heart goes out to those and their families, i hope that the person who planned this gets caught!

JediCole
09-11-2001, 04:31 PM
The terrorists can celebrate further as panic has been allowed to set in and gas prices have begun to rise nationwide to a criminal level. It appears I should have fueled up at lunch time as I have heard that even here in Texas the gas station attendents are out in force changing the prices at the pump. I dread my drive home today as I have no idea how much I will pay to fill my tank, it could be as much as $4.00 per gallon. This is exactly what they want, to cripple us by halting economic progress and the oil companies have fallen obediently in line with the wishes of the terrorists. Expect all commodities and necessities to follow suit as panic rules the day and the U.S. allows itself to be brought to its knees. It appears that panic is the coin of the realm.

Fulit
09-11-2001, 04:36 PM
well, I would like to think that the money the oil companies are making off jacking the prices up is going to help us all in the long run, but forgive me if I am skeptical. Only in America could we capitalize off our own suffering. Sick.

badtaste
09-11-2001, 04:46 PM
Although I'm from Europe, I'm shocked as hell.I hardly can't believe this. My heart goes out to all involved in this terrible, terrible disaster. I also hope Bush will see that a rocket defence system is useless to this kind of violence.
I'm afraid for any distance from the US to foreign countries.

I wish you all the best...

Richard

El Chuxter
09-11-2001, 05:02 PM
I've also heard unconfirmed reports of $4 gas in the area, and I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to afford the 30 minutes drive to work every day if that's the case.

Fulit, after Hurricane Hugo devastated Charlotte, NC, several years ago, leaving thousands without power, the price of milk and clean water--basic human necessities--skyrocketed into the double digits. The gas price hike doesn't shock me, but I wish the oil companies could, for once, not capitalize on suffering.

Hitman
09-11-2001, 05:10 PM
Just wanted to pass along that it appears that at least people from the 20th floor down at One World Trade (the first one hit and the second to collapse) made it out safely. Up until 1999 I worked there, and I know many people there. Haven't heard any confirmed reports about people on any other floors of either building though.

I now work at the World Financial Center (right across a very large street from the Trade Center), and was about 30 feet away from entering the my building when I heard a low flying plane, looked up, and saw the side of Tower #1 explode. No one knew what was going on, and everyone thought it was an isolated accident. I was actually on my way to a conference on the other side of the Towers, so after milling about for 15 minutes, I started to cross the street to go to the south of the buildings, then I heard another plane, looked up, and saw the second plane smack into the side of Tower #2. Not a picture I'll get out of my head any time soon. Thankfully I am uninjured, and was back at my apartment across the river in Hoboken, NJ by the time of the collapses. My heart goes out to anyone who was not as lucky as I was.

Pehaps I am still in shock, but I am not yet angry. I am just filled with utter disbelief that anyone could be happy about this. Mindboggling.

Hitman

Fulit
09-11-2001, 05:11 PM
well, now there are reported strikes in Kabul, Afghanistan. Surely there are innocent people there as well, and we should pray for them as well as the victims in New York and Washington.

Fulit
09-11-2001, 05:17 PM
Seems I posted at the same time as you, Hitman, sorry, didn't mean to undermine your story. Very glad to hear you made it out alive though, your story is compelling to say the least.

El Chuxter
09-11-2001, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Fulit
well, now there are reported strikes in Kabul, Afghanistan. Surely there are innocent people there as well, and we should pray for them as well as the victims in New York and Washington.

Fulit, can you post some more details? I can't find anything more than a headline about this incident.

BenQuad
09-11-2001, 05:38 PM
Such a sad and pointless waste of innocent life.

I can think of nothing else to say.... I'm totally shocked and upset.

Rob

Lobito
09-11-2001, 05:42 PM
The unthinkable just happened, i feel so sad right now, i cant believe the hate of these people...such a COWARDLY act...

For all the people who live in the U.S.A., i give u all my support and my best wishes and remember that u have to be strong and patient.

Justice WILL be done.

die-jarjar-die
09-11-2001, 05:49 PM
My thoughts are with all you guys on this dark day of tragedy. Being based in the UK I didn't find out until a little after the event but have done my best to catch up on the news. I am truely sickened & disgusted by what I have witnessed & wish you all the best in discovering those responsible & bringing them to justice.

I noticed in one of the earlier posts that you were discussing the attacks on Afghanistan. Well I'm currently watching the live news feed on CNN & there is aerial bombing of Kabul currently occuring. No official word as to whom is responsible although it is believed to be you guys retaliating. I'd imagine that President Bush will make some announcement regarding this matter during his speech at 9pm ET.

Once again my thoughts are with all those that have suffered today.

Marcus aka die-jarjar-die

Fulit
09-11-2001, 05:50 PM
El Chuxter, I heard the Kabul strikes report on MSNBC from my wife in the other room awhile ago, at last report there seems to be some discrepancy over whether it is retalitaion from the U.S. or merely something to do w/ the Afghani Civil War. Sorry I can't give more info right now.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-11-2001, 05:52 PM
I've been at a high school here in southern California all day, with just about every room having some news on. It was just mind-numbing. Too early to make rash decisions and actions, but it's hard not to want to seek vengence. I cannot recall anything in my lifetime that can compare. Not Challenger, not Columbine, not the Gulf War. Nothing.

Prayer is powerful. Use it. So it is blood. Give it.

die-jarjar-die
09-11-2001, 05:52 PM
ok..the Pentagon have denied involvment with the Kabul bombings

Fulit
09-11-2001, 05:57 PM
Can I also just say, it's cool for me at least to hear Mr. Blair supporting us and probably a lot of other countries too, and the positive comments from SSG members from other countries is cool. Sorry about describing it as "cool", I'm just all out of adjectives today. You know what I mean.

I'm glad we're at least reportedly not responsible for the Kabul attacks that were on the news earlier. (i.e. the last post) It seems, like many others have said, it should be thought-out.

die-jarjar-die
09-11-2001, 06:07 PM
Dude, after witnessing todays events I think most of the World is sympathising with America. I heard positive support comments not only from us here in the UK but also from Russia & most of Europe. We're all with ya:>

bigbarada
09-11-2001, 06:37 PM
The military is still on full alert and this is the first chance I've had to get to a computer all day. I'm not allowed to really discuss the measures being taken by anyone in the Army right now, but let's just say almost everyone is really angry and seeks retaliation. In fact I've heard many in my unit state their wishes to nuke any country even rumoured to be involved. I just pray the President acts with more intelligence than that.

The border between Mexico and the US has not been shut down completely, people are still being allowed to leave the country, but getting back in has become much harder. All vehicles are being checked thouroughly before being allowed to enter. The have also stopped all flow of the Rio Grande river into the United States to prevent any chances of a chemical attack. Of course, this part of the country being a desert has put us on a water emergency.

The saddest thing I remember hearing was from a guy who was actually in the World Trade Center building that was hit first. He remembers people in wheelchairs in the hallways crying because they couldn't get out of the building with the elevators shut down. Also there were reports of people holding hands and leaping from the top floors of the towers before they collapsed.

I agree with Vulcantouch's advise to give blood. Every member of my squad donated blood today, in fact so much blood was donated here on Ft. Bliss that the Red Cross had to shut down due to lack of containers to store all the blood.

My prayers go out to everyone near these tragedies. May God be with you. In fact, may God be with us all.

derek
09-11-2001, 06:50 PM
russia, france, england and others have expressed sympathy, but they'll condem us when we bomb these bastards responsible for this back to the stone age.

in my opinion, the u.s. should declair war on ALL known terriorist groups, even if they are remotely associated with this attack. and any countries who allow these thugs to camp or train in their countries should also be considered enemies and dealt with swiftly if they refuse to arrest these said terrorists and surrender them to authorities.

bigbarada
09-11-2001, 06:59 PM
Derek, I agree that whoever is responsible needs to be held accountable and punished; but now is not the time for rash judgements. Besides a war of that scale would overtax the already strained US military. We're spread too thin all over the world as it is. Also, declaring war of the size you're mentioning would require reinstating the draft.

die-jarjar-die
09-11-2001, 07:18 PM
Derek......You commented that countries such as France, Russia & UK would condemn UK for any retaliatory action taken after today. Ican assure you that the UK will not be included in that. In fact if our Prime Ministers last comments are to be believed then he is calling for NATO to be put on full alert to aid you guys with any action necessary, this action taking place with full backing from the UN.

In another point..I know all of you are extremely upset & want revenge for todays horrific attack..but is a Nuclear strike the answer??? If anything that WOULD make countries condemn & stand against the US. Justice WILL run its course.

JediCole
09-11-2001, 07:22 PM
It is good to see that in the aftermath of this tragedy that at least some have heeded the call to donate, rather than seek, blood. It is easy to let hatred and vindication rule the day, but in the end, it just furthers the minor victories of those responsible. We must, as a nation and as a people show that we are above just "bombing those responsible into the stone age". Such action does nothing but villify us in the eyes of thos responsible and thereby allow them to teach further hatred to future generations.
I would like to share something with the community here at Sir Steve's Guide, a community that has impressed and moved me with their words. I hope to do so with mine. I grew up (from about the age of 12 to 18) in what I considered a rather backward little hick town in the shadow of the behemoth Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas metroplex. But at times this little town, and more specifically its tiny school system, impressed me beyond words. And one such case was the booking (on two occassions over the years I was there) of a speaker on the Holocaust, a gentleman who, though his name escapes me, his words will remain with me always. On both occassions he spoke at length about his life after Nazi occupation and under their rule, much spent in camps. At the end of his lecture, I believe it was the second time I heard him speak, someone posed the question, "Don't you hate the people who did this to you, your friends, and family?". To which he (much to everyone's surprise) said no. And what followed were words by which I have tried to live my life, "Hate rebreeds hate". He elaborated that the very act of hatred invites further hatred directed back at the instigators of hatred, which in turn fuels and perpetuates their hatred. The point is that when we embrace hatred as a doctrine we invite the hatred of others. More food for thought in the days and weeks ahead.
These wounds, too, shall heal.

JediCole
09-11-2001, 08:16 PM
I was fearing "pump gouging" as I awaited my chance to leave work and buy gas and found that the two stations on the road I exited from the highway were within just 10 cents of each other and one had NOT changed its prices from this morning. I want to salute that particular Phillips 66 station (if not the company itself as I do not know which was truely responsible) for not buying into the gas price terrorism that reports show is being perpetrated across the nation.

bigbarada
09-11-2001, 08:44 PM
"Hate rebreeds hate" Excellent quote JediCole, it's so easy to act in a rash manner in times like these, when what is really needed is concern and aid to those who have been hurt before we begin to pass judgement on other countries. I believe America returning an attack on her civilian population with an attack on a foreign country's civilian population will achieve nothing. Except to reduce us to their level.

The Bald Ewok
09-11-2001, 08:45 PM
Today is truly a very very sad day. Its heartening to see all of us pull together and show what americans are really made of. I just hope that we find out who is responsible for this, and I really hope that we make them pay for this. Ben Landen, I hope you burn in hell

bigbarada
09-11-2001, 08:47 PM
Bin Laden might not be responsible for today's attack, but I'm with you. Kobar Towers and the U.S.S. Cole are reasons enough for him to burn in hell.

foopah
09-11-2001, 09:53 PM
i am sure you all know, but everyone in that area has some grudge against us. one side hates us for helping the other sides, and vice versa. they hate us for helping others, and they hate us for providing arms for others to defend themselves. but these cowards need to know this, it is not us who pull the trigger. if we provide the weapons for defense, it is they who shoot. and if we are involved, we target all military spots, and spots that will hinder them. we do not target innocents. i am appalled at the fact that they used hijacked planes, and more appalled that they slammed them into both towers. this sickens me, and i will do everything i can. i will donate blood tomorrow (because all day i have been turned away from all the hospitals being full) and if i can volunteer, i will do what ever i can. i do agree with whoever said it:"it is in your nature to destroy yourselves" (terminator 2). the one thing i can not (and maybe never will) understand is how those aboard the planes could not sacrifice themselves and over take the planes. i mean come on.....what else can you do? especially if you see where you are headed, DO SOMETHING!!! they had knives for christ's sake! i think 60 odd people can over take some hijackers. that really irks me , sorry, i am so upset right now, i have watched it all day, it happened just as i awoke, and i live 10 minutes away....they cowardice of the attack. i think if it was osama bin laden, we should capture him, and subject him to weeks upon weeks of torture, televised, and maybe we will feel some reprieve.......maybe....

dark_jedi_knight_71
09-11-2001, 10:02 PM
I think that Master Yoda said it best, "Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering". This has been proven today, I believe.

dark_jedi_knight_71
09-11-2001, 10:07 PM
also, I think a paraphrase from Darth Vader sums things up pretty well "This will be a day long remembered, it has seen the end of the world trade center, it will soon see the end of those responsible"

God bless all those involved and their families and loved ones.

Jedi Clint
09-11-2001, 10:21 PM
This nation has been challenged by an enemy that does not necessarily define itself by the borders of a nation. We must band together, and make it known that we will not suffer further attacks at the hands of these cowards. Unfortunately, that means we must put a call out to all who would harbor such an evil organization, that if you prevent us from bringing them to justice then you shall suffer their fate as well. If we do not follow through with this mandate, it proves to the entire world that such acts of terrorism go unpunished by this nation, and ensures that future instances will occur.

Jedi Clint
09-11-2001, 10:24 PM
If anyone reading this lost loved ones in this tragedy, I send my deepest condolences, and pray that you overcome.

Jedi Clint
09-11-2001, 10:30 PM
foopah,

I thought something similar at first as well, but it might be possible that the scum sealed the cabin barring any access from even the most valiant.

GNT
09-12-2001, 12:08 AM
I still can't beleive what I've seen! Its made all the news here in OZ and my heart and prays go out to the families that lost loved ones! Those people involved should pay the price of death for what they have done!

I'm Not happy!

Obi-Dan Kenobi
09-12-2001, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Grif
I want to say that my hat goes off to the pilot that crashed his plane in Pennyslvania because he did not want the terroists to hit another U.S. city.

Actually, there is no evidence that the pilot purposely crashed the plane, although I hope that's what happened. Also, the pilot probably would not yet have known of the other attacks unless the hijackers told him or something.

dark_jedi_knight_71 said:

I think that Master Yoda said it best, "Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering".

I'vebeen thinking of that all day. Some would say beacause I'm such a dork.;)

I also wanted to know: For those of you who have kids, what are you telling them? I can't think of anyhting this terrible that happened when I was a kid. My girlfriend was telling me her ex-husband was surprised that she was letting her seven-year-old watch the coverage on TV. I'm sorry, but I think a kid that age (he's almost eight) should know what's going on, and it's up to the adults in his life to help him to understand (as much as they can) what's going on. Also, of course, they need to assure him that he's safe. What do you think?

GNT
09-12-2001, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Obi-Dan Kenobi
I also wanted to know: For those of you who have kids, what are you telling them? I can't think of anyhting this terrible that happened when I was a kid. My girlfriend was telling me her ex-husband was surprised that she was letting her seven-year-old watch the coverage on TV. I'm sorry, but I think a kid that age (he's almost eight) should know what's going on, and it's up to the adults in his life to help him to understand (as much as they can) what's going on. Also, of course, they need to assure him that he's safe. What do you think?

I think the kids should know whats going on with this whole thing although in my opinion I dont think they would care or have interest in it at all. But each to his own meesa thinks!

stillakid
09-12-2001, 12:47 AM
Of course, this is a senseless tragedy and hate does beget hate...however, Bin Laden and others like him are nothing more than schoolyard bullies who use religion as a shield and a force for manipulation and violence. There is no reasoning with people like this. There is only one unfortunate reply to this...

The Taliban should be given 24 hours to produce Bin Laden or the US and NATO forces should bomb them back to the stone age. Period. If there is no Bin Laden at that point, we move on to Syria. He must be found and publicly humiliated and summarily executed. None of this arresting and jailing crap. He is pure evil masquerading to his people as a messenger from god. How any human could believe that god would ordain this kind of violence is beyond me. Those people are just plain out of their minds...a cancer on the planet. They will not stop until someone stops them. It's that simple. You cannot reason with a religious fundamentalist. There is no other choice.

If that seems particularly harsh, I urge you to remember that thousands of innocent (yes, they were innocent) people died at the hands of cowards today. It could have been any one of us. It almost was, as mentioned above. We need the civilized nations of the world to stand with us. The response for this can be nothing less than swift and decisive.

mterrathomas
09-12-2001, 12:54 AM
hate is the path to the dark side.
anger is the path to the dark side.
my ally is the force and a powerful ally it is. life sustains it.
i fear for the families of the slain.
i fear for the families of the future slain.
war does not make one great!!

GNT
09-12-2001, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by stillakid
Of course, this is a senseless tragedy and hate does beget hate...however, Bin Laden and others like him are nothing more than schoolyard bullies who use religion as a shield and a force for manipulation and violence. There is no reasoning with people like this. There is only one unfortunate reply to this...

The Taliban should be given 24 hours to produce Bin Laden or the US and NATO forces should bomb them back to the stone age. Period. If there is no Bin Laden at that point, we move on to Syria. He must be found and publicly humiliated and summarily executed. None of this arresting and jailing crap. He is pure evil masquerading to his people as a messenger from god. How any human could believe that god would ordain this kind of violence is beyond me. Those people are just plain out of their minds...a cancer on the planet. They will not stop until someone stops them. It's that simple. You cannot reason with a religious fundamentalist. There is no other choice.

If that seems particularly harsh, I urge you to remember that thousands of innocent (yes, they were innocent) people died at the hands of cowards today. It could have been any one of us. It almost was, as mentioned above. We need the civilized nations of the world to stand with us. The response for this can be nothing less than swift and decisive.

Even if he is executed (which I'm sure many of us want to see because of what he has done) it makes us just as bad as him!

Maybe the families that lost loved members of their family should all get a turn at doing something to him!

mterrathomas
09-12-2001, 01:01 AM
America has taken steps toward the "dark side" along time before we were around. First with the natives than the slaves, and now the arabs (among others). let us pray that justice is served but in serving that justice let us not continue down that "dark path".:(

bigbarada
09-12-2001, 08:05 AM
Terrorist organizations have been compared to the multi-headed beast, the Hydra. With that creature is you chopped off one head another would grow back to take it's place. If we single out Bin Laden and execute him then within hours another terrorist leader, just as hateful towards peace and human life, will take his place. Then the process starts all over again.

It's a cycle that cannot be resolved with violence.

I'm all for the guilty answering for their crimes, however don't think that killing Bin Laden will end this conflict. If we do that we'll make him into a martyr for his people and strengthen his cause ten-fold.

Eternal Padawan
09-12-2001, 08:23 AM
"I wish it was September 10th again."

This act of WAR has irrevocably changed the U.S. And make no mistake, this WAS an act of war. Nothing will ever be the same. Suddenly the latest Star Wars figures don't seem to matter much to me. I have grown up overnight and I am angry at those responsible. I cannot help but think that everything I do after this day will be in the wake of this tragedy. When I go to see Episode II next year, it will be after "Sept 11th" When I graduate from college, it will be after Sept 11th. This is the defining moment in many of our lives, and I am utterly furious that these cowards have made it a horrific moment. It could have been the birth of my daughter or my wedding or any of a hundred other happy moments, but instead it is this tragedy. Osama Bin Laden or not, Politically correct or not, I hope every single man, women and child responsible for this atrocity dies a slow and painful death. It's a sad day to be human...

Obi-Don
09-12-2001, 08:34 AM
I made one conment on another thread pertaining to this and I sand by it. One thing I don't understand if this attack was or is a holy war thing.Then how could this be of God or whom ever you call him. No, this was not of God. This was plain out right COLD BLOODED MURDER! I hope God has a special place in hell for all those who was involved.:mad:

Jargo
09-12-2001, 08:55 AM
In Brian De Palma's film 'The fury' Brian Denehey utters the line - "What a culture can't assimilate, it destroys." This is true of every nation. Please stop this talk or recrimination and concentrate on the real loss and help that can be given to those suffering in the wake of this disaster. I know for a fact that British losses are great with 1,000 workers from one British company alone slaughtered yesterday. 300 fire and police officers are unaccounted for. it is pointless calling for those responsible to pay now. that will happen in the fullness of time. We should count our blessings that more did not die. Many thousands have payed with their lives and this anger will not bring them back.
My Uncle was in the area of new York on holiday and we have not heard from him or his wife. I wait with the hardest pain in my heart for word from them. Please put anger aside for now and help all you can to keep the calm and not give in to the same hatred that perpetuates this madness. As the US military hardware moves into the gulf and around the US coastline I pray that Bush does not condone a course of action that will lead us all to war. where the US goes so will the British. I do not want us to lose any more lives needlessly. I hope that none of you do either.

JediTricks
09-12-2001, 09:01 AM
Please, let us not spew hatred and venom towards countries and all peoples of any ethnicity, that is the thing that takes us down to these terrorists' level. Anger and fear and frustration are not abnormal feelings, but to say that we should kill all civilians in a country where this guy MAY be is an awful, cruel, hateful statement; don't let anger, fear, frustration, and whatever you are feeling overwhelm and darken your spirits, don't fall into the pit of hatred. All terrorists should be brought to justice, but let cool, rational heads take care of this, don't do awful things or make comments that whip others into doing awful things to some random Middle-Eastern person. Not every Islamic believer is a hate-monger, not every Arab is a terrorist, don't fall into the trap that the sins of the father should befall the son, we are all our own men and women and should treat others the same way.

When we capture those who are responsible for these terrible deeds or who conspired with or asssisted those who did, we shouldn't just go into "kill them all" mode, we should make them rat out other terrorists names and locations, we should use these despicable people to help stop terrorism instead of just snuffing them out.

There is every effort being made to rescue any living victims in the rubble of the the WTC, hope there should not be lost. Unfortunately, hope of finding more survivors appears to be totally exhausted at the Pentagon, where 80 (not 800) bodies were pulled from the wreckage.

We should stay calm, work to accept our fear and anger and put them behind us, and let rational heads do what they have to do to bring those who are involved to justice. Vengence and vigilanteism serves no purpose except to give in to the terror and to go down to their levels.

JEDIpartner
09-12-2001, 09:45 AM
Sadly... something like this needed to happen for our country to wake up and realise that it really is a part of the world community. Think of how terrible this event has been to all of us here and then consider the folks who have endured this sort of thing from the day they were born. We are lucky that this has just been one terrible day and not an entire lifetime of death and fighting.

We need to make sure this never happens again. Not just here in the United States, but ANYWHERE in the world. We should not stand for these acts of senseless violence.

As a musician who has travelled around the world, I had been faced many times with the decision to play or not play due to a bomb threat at the venue because we were Americans! We always made the decision to play. We were not going to stop our lives and live in fear. That would let them know that they had won.

We ALL need to continue on with our lives and don't change your routine activities!!!! Just be more aware of the dange that has ALWAYS been present and let your voice be heard!!! Treat each other with a little more kindness. It can be infectious and that isn't so bad.

Peace to you all.

-Dale

p.s.- big thanks to JediTricks words in the previous post. You are right on target!

Lobito
09-12-2001, 11:48 AM
I have faith that this conflict will be resolved.

Lets worry about the ones that are alive, there are people still under all that rubble and we should have faith that they can be rescued. Thats the first priority and the only thing that matters right now.

Hopefully the authorities will bring these terrorists to justice (No killing), and they will have a chance to bring all this T. organization down.

Peace to all.

Sith Apprentice
09-12-2001, 12:11 PM
I think JEDIpartnr makes a very valid point in that it is sadly necessary for the US to have faced this situation. Throughout the 20th century the country has been lucky to avoid the direct repercussions of world conflict. The most terrible to date has been Pearl Harbour, which was essentially a military target. It has taken this tragedy to force the USA to come to terms with the consequences of foreign policy and the fact that there are some very sick people out there.

It brings to light several key issues. Firstly, security on internal flights has to be tightened. Secondly, the country has to be aware that terrorism in all its forms is a destructive and malignant power. Living in the UK, I and others are well aware of the needs for security to prevent catastophic loss of life through terrorism. We have lived through many bad periods of fear of attack from The IRA and have faced serious loss of life ourselves. Most IRA funding comes from groups and organisations in the US, who, until now, have probably not realised that one man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist. Therefore, it is vital that ALL terrorists are excluded from the civilised world order, be they IRA, Unionists, Islamic Jihad or whoever. The US also has to come to terms with the fact that it is not invulnerable to attack and it must learn the lessons that many other states have had to face such as the UK, Israel and Spain that terrrorism is a threat to be carefully guarded against.

However, discussing the need for the US to re-examine itself and its policy are things for the near future. What counts at the moment is helping the victims and their families. As earlier posters have stated, there is a great amount of support for the US in Europe and within Britain. We are all saddened and shocked by events and our sympathies go out to all involved. Also, make no mistakes, the US will have UK support for the action it decides to take. The men who perpetrated these acts claim to be men of religion and god. Like all religious fanatics however, they are people who chose to twist the true meaning of religion to suit their own foul purposes.

stillakid
09-12-2001, 12:15 PM
The Arab nations are aware of the intense hell-fire that faces them. I was happy to just hear that Pakistani leaders are suggesting to the Taliban that now is the time to hand over Bin Laden. Perhaps they'll listen.

JEDIpartner
09-12-2001, 12:44 PM
It is absolutely necessary for the nations of this world to unite and co-operate in the erradication of terrorism. It would be unrealistic for one to believe that there would be full co-operation, but these nations would be fools to believe that one action will not result in an equal (or possibly greater) reaction. What hapeens to one can happen to another.

Please pray, meditatate or whatever method you prefer to send the positive energy to those we cannot reach.

Pendo
09-11-2002, 01:57 PM
I wasn't a member of these forums when this thread was started, but reading through it, it really brings back some terrible memories of that day.
:cry:
The Sept 11th attacks will always be remembered in our hearts, and the terrorists responsible will burn in hell :mad:.

PENDO!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-11-2002, 04:50 PM
Is it really that hard to find Osama?

hango fett
09-11-2002, 07:35 PM
well, he is a smart man to have pulled all this off. he's probably sitting in a cave somewhere laughing at how dumb we are...little *beep!* why don't we just bomb iraq and whoever else harbors terrorist. drop a nuke over there and see how they fell! no, let's crash remote controlled 747's at all the caves and see bin ladden come crying like a girl.
:rolleyes:
h

SirSteve
09-11-2002, 08:26 PM
America Remembers

Lord Malakite
09-11-2002, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL
Is it really that hard to find Osama?
Apparently so. He could probably be considered the muslim equivlent of Waldo.

hango fett
09-11-2002, 08:33 PM
yeah...that was a day the world changed forever. no one is the same now. and there might be more attacks tomorrow, sept. 12! at least, that's what they said on the news...thank god i live in a small town...
h

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-11-2002, 09:25 PM
I just reread every post from this thread.

I couldn't believe that it was just a year ago. I remember I was in between classes on campus and I ran to the computer. After buzzing through several news sites I decided to come here and post my thoughts. They still haven't changed.

And as many of us have stated before, 9/11 has taught us a sense of appreciation. I was looking at the pictures of each of the people who died in the attacks. They showed them on a little scrollbar at the bottom of the screen as people read the names. I remember seeing such a wide range of diveristy, from men to women, to African-Americans to Asian-Americans, Indian-Americans, Muslims, people from all walks of life. And I thought that one of those people easily could have been a friend, a neighbor, or a close relative.

The events have taught us to not take life for granted. Life is precious and it could be gone within a moment. Tell a loved one how much you love them and how much you appreciate them because who knows how long we have to tell them?

Jedi Drew
09-11-2002, 09:49 PM
God Bless America and we WILL get you bastards.....DEAD or Alive!!!!!!!

derek
09-11-2002, 09:55 PM
i'm really suprised there have not been any other attacks in the past year. i'm very glad there have been none, but i for sure thought there would of been some attempted car bombings or at the least a few domestic suicide bombers.

watching all the replays today has made me more sad, but at the same time mad. i can't beleive there is any debate about invading iraq.:confused:

RooJay
09-11-2002, 10:33 PM
When I woke up this morning I thought I would feel nothing but sadness...I ended up feeling prouder of being an AMERICAN than ever before.

Beast
09-11-2002, 11:00 PM
Hango, dropping bombs and especially nukes, kills a hell of alot of innocent people. Doing that would make us no better then the terrorists that attacked the U.S. 1 year ago on 9/11. So try to remember that things like that are not an option, because that makes us no better then those that attacked us. Now I'm all for punishing the guilty, but we need to do it in a manner that results in the fewest innocent deaths.

And the world never changed, stuff like this happens all the time all over the world. But the attack happened on American soil, and changed peoples perceptions. It became somthing that affected us more closely, and we couldn't just ignore it like the things that happened in other countries. It opened America's eyes a lot wider to the things that go on in this world.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
09-12-2002, 01:50 AM
It's really sobering to read this all over again. I have been browsing the boards for the last hour or so, and am unable to comment on a whole lot. My thoughts inside my head, after revisiting this tragedy, are too jumbled up for me to make a clear, well-thought out reply to anything.

I might take a couple of days off, to just be alone with my thoughts as it were. I don't know, I'll see if I feel like posting tomorrow......

darthvyn
09-11-2005, 08:58 AM
four years now, and it still feels strange. i seem to remember waking up each year on this day with a chip on my shoulder. i don't think it will ever be a "normal" day again.

Exhaust Port
09-11-2005, 07:24 PM
It's still sobering. Life has changed so much since that morning and will probably never seem the same.

bobafrett
09-12-2005, 07:49 AM
This is one of those moments where I will never forget where I was when I heard the news. I watched some of the shows that they had oin last night and cried. Still touches me deep in my soul.

CaptainSolo1138
09-12-2005, 08:07 AM
Four years. Wow. I don't know if the four years went fast or if the whole thing is just burned really deep on my brain, but it seems like it happened yesterday. There is no piece of video in the world that can get the same reaction and emotional range out of me as when I see footage from that day. I didn't know anyone there. I don't even know someone who knew someone there. It's amazing how you can be so sad and so p**sed at the same time.

The show on Discovery last nite about Flight 93 was awesome. I don't know what percentage was made up (for lack of a more respectful term), but it was made very believable. I was glad that they made it more of a hero's story than a sob-fest.

And no disrespect to Todd Beamer or his efforts, but I'm glad they didn't focus too much on him. He's been the superhero of that flight (media-wise) for the last four years, so it was nice to get the other perspectives and see the actions of the other passengers.

Slicker
09-12-2005, 10:50 AM
The attacks are definitely one of those "where were you moments" like when Kennedy was killed.

bobafrett
09-12-2005, 11:58 AM
The attacks are definitely one of those "where were you moments" like when Kennedy was killed.

For me it would have been hearing about the first shuttle that exploded shortly after takeoff.

The show I watched was about flight 11 (I hope I am remembering the flight number correctly) the flight that hit the first trade tower. I was fine watching it until the very end. I couldn't watch any of the other shows, and in fact I had to leave the house to clear my mind.

I lived very close to O'Hare airport at the time, and it was eerie when they grounded all the flights, the skies were silent, and when the fli8ghts did resume, I looked at every plane thinking "Is that heading toward the Sears Tower, or somewhere else in downtown?" it was very unsettling.

I also remember going down to see my son when he was still living with his mom down in Florida. I flew down in January of 2002 and there were armed military personal at the airport, it felt a little more comforting knowing they were there, but I was a wreck for the first hour on the plane.

Exhaust Port
09-12-2005, 07:58 PM
Today I flew into DCA and we did the arrival down the Potomac River which puts you right over the Pentagon at only 300' or so. It was very eerie to peer down on the building knowing what had happened there almost 4 years ago do the day.

Most times we fly into LGA the controllers vector you up the Hudson river which gives everyone on the right side of the airplane a clear view into Ground Zero as it sits 2000' below. Enough time has passed that it is almost difficult to imagine the 2 Twin Towers sitting there. My mind has so many vivid images of that deep hole that it has become my new reality.

darthvyn
10-05-2005, 09:40 PM
I also remember going down to see my son when he was still living with his mom down in Florida. I flew down in January of 2002 and there were armed military personal at the airport, it felt a little more comforting knowing they were there, but I was a wreck for the first hour on the plane.

there are still armed military patrolling subway stations in NY - penn station especially. it's pretty strange...

Most times we fly into LGA the controllers vector you up the Hudson river which gives everyone on the right side of the airplane a clear view into Ground Zero as it sits 2000' below. Enough time has passed that it is almost difficult to imagine the 2 Twin Towers sitting there. My mind has so many vivid images of that deep hole that it has become my new reality.

well, they hadn't for about two years... the first time i flew back to raleigh we took that path down... it was amazing, and a bit awkward... it felt wrong to be flying that close to the city after all that time...

Kidhuman
10-05-2005, 09:48 PM

Being from NYC and seeing them every single day for 28 years, it is hard to see what is left. I look at the place and think I walked here on many occasions, walked 60, 80, 200, 500 feet above what is there. There was nothing like standing on the observation deck and looking at the massive few all around. One thing I can never forget is seeing them there. It is so hard to look at pictures and images and seeing it live that they are gone. It makes me naseous(sp?) to see it this way to this day and every time I go back. It is with out a doubt a harsh reality that all have to face.

kool-aid killer
10-07-2005, 09:05 AM
I always feel weird when i see them in a television rerun or a movie. Its kind of akward, seeing a picture of the skyline that includes them, and knowing that in reality they no longer stand there. I cant imagine how it would be for someone who was used to seeing them in real life every single day, it would definitely be a downer.

Slicker
10-07-2005, 10:58 AM
That's weird that you should bring this up again KAK. I was watching Scent of a Woman (don't even ask) and I saw them and it was weird. I'm so used to seeing the skyline without them that they seemed foriegn.

JimJamBonds
10-07-2005, 01:50 PM
That's weird that you should bring this up again KAK. I was watching Scent of a Woman (don't even ask) and I saw them and it was weird. I'm so used to seeing the skyline without them that they seemed foriegn.

I agree its weird to see an old movie/tv show and see the Towers they do seem almost out of place. There is nothing wrong with Scent of a Woman, its an excellent movie. Hoo-wa!

El Chuxter
10-07-2005, 02:07 PM
I recently watched most of the episodes of The Critic, and it was just weird seeing the Towers in the opening credits, almost forbidding you to laugh at the phone call Jay would immediately receive next in every opener.

I wonder what it will be like, years from now, when I have kids and one of them asks during some movie, "Daddy, what are those two really tall buildings there? Why aren't they there anymore?"

bobafrett
10-08-2005, 10:50 PM
I saw the two towers in the movie "A.I." by Speilberg. It's way in the future, and the Earth is covered in ice, but the tops of the two towers are sticking up through the top. I didn't notice it the first time I saw it at the theatre, but did catch it the second time I saw it. This happens near the end of the film.

Exhaust Port
10-09-2005, 11:29 PM
well, they hadn't for about two years...

What hadn't?

darthvyn
10-10-2005, 11:32 AM
that flight path was closed for about two years or so after the attacks. it was strange the first time i was on a plane again once they had opened that path...

Exhaust Port
10-10-2005, 10:32 PM
that flight path was closed for about two years or so after the attacks. it was strange the first time i was on a plane again once they had opened that path...
The flight path was opened almost immediately after flights resumed.