PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER Bespin Duel Luke Variant!!

KingOfSting
05-12-2002, 02:01 PM
According to rebelscum.com, a THIRD variant of Luke Skywalker: Bespin Duel has been found, this time with a PEG to hold the hand in place as opposed to a MAGNET...

DarthMaulSithLord
05-12-2002, 09:11 PM
This is getting really out of hand and confusing. What the hell is Hasbro doing?

:(

bigbarada
05-12-2002, 11:31 PM
Obviously, they never realized just how unreliable the magnets would be once they started mass producing them. My guess is they worked great in the prototypes so Hasbro gave them the green light. However, once the toys started getting into the hands of kids and collectors the problems surfaced and the complaints started pouring in.

This is just the process of things when toy manufacturers try out a new concept. Some work, some don't.

lobster-man
05-12-2002, 11:50 PM
Remember that this figure was originally planned to come out October 2000 with a VCD... Maybe this newly emerged variation is left over production from that set that never came out... OR perhaps HASBRO is just feeding the secondary market frenzy by making these variations so that completists buy 2 or 3 of the same figure as opposed to just 1 or 2 ? ;)

bigbarada
05-13-2002, 12:36 AM
The idea of Hasbro feeding the variation frenzy has existed since the long lightsaber figures of the original 1995 line. This magnet problem smacks more of a production change to correct a gimmick that didn't work as well as they hoped. I don't see any conspiracy there.

lobster-man
05-13-2002, 02:38 AM
Now, the long to short saber conversion was made to avoid certain packaging problems and was made after a period of time... these variants are coming out way too soon for public feed-back to occur and do not really interfere with packaging, even the back-ground cards I can understand or slightly different hues of paint, errors ( two left feet on Luke )are even acceptable (well...sort of...) but Bespin Luke with bloody stump, magnet and socket all showed up at the same time... I guess that I can't give HASBRO enough credit to come up with ideas on their own. I was around for the original classic line that had actual playsets and decent sculpts ( well at least the Jedi line did...) When variants came out it took some time to occur luke bespin and luke tatooine had drastic hair color changes a couple of years after their release and in the first line Han's head swelled up like a pumpkin after initial shipments...And then there's the vinyl to cloth caped jawa...Variants have been around as long as Star Wars Figures have but there was always a period of time before these changes were made, even taking into consideration the massive stockpile of figures that these retail outlets have accumulated. :crazed: