PDA

View Full Version : Lando is useless

stillakid
05-12-2002, 06:20 PM
In my continuing prep for EpII, I just finished watching ROTJ. I noticed that Lando has absolutely no purpose in the entire Jabba sequence. Not only that, he is actually a liability once the battle begins, as his fall takes Han and Chewy out of the action in their attempt to save him. The rest of the Rebels, even the droids, have a definitive purpose for being there...but Lando is useless.

Sith Lord 0498
05-12-2002, 06:59 PM
I hadn't really thought about it before, but I'd have to say that Lando served more of a "reconnaissance" role. He was the first to infiltrate Jabba's palace. He could rely information to Luke and the others regarding security, palace layout, etc. etc. He also could have served as part of a backup plan if R2 hadn't been able to deliver the lightsaber. Plus, he was able to take the other guards on the skiff by surprise once the attack began. Everyone's attention was on Luke--not on some "skiff guard."

LTBasker
05-12-2002, 07:11 PM
I think he also helps pull Jabba's throne over the Rancor trap door that Luke falls through. :p

chewie
05-12-2002, 07:17 PM
Being part of Jabba's guards allowed Lando to train to pilot a skiff for when they escape. See? There's a use right there. :)

JediTricks
05-12-2002, 11:29 PM
I believe Lando also keeps Leia from being accosted by other guards when she's found out, and on the skiff, he's the only one of their group that actually has a weapon besides Luke and his fairly limited lightsaber. True, he doesn't seem to be much use once the battle actually commences, but IMO, he has a USE. ;)

LTBasker
05-13-2002, 12:07 AM
[Skiff guard about to smack Han]
"Wait, wait, wait!!!"
[Han pushes Lando in front of him]
"Ok, try your best shot."

2-1B
05-13-2002, 12:46 AM
I think Lando had a purpose and he would have been useful on the skiff had he not been knocked overboard. So whereas he should have been protecting Han with Chewy and watching Luke's back (even though Luke didn't think he needed it :D ), he actually became a liability.

bigbarada
05-13-2002, 02:30 AM
My one question: Wouldn't Han still be kind of mad at Lando for selling him out to Vader and getting him frozen in Carbonite? Kinda of strange that he rushed to save him when he fell overboard.

According to the Tales from Jabba's Palace book, Lando was responsible for freeing up two droid jobs so Threepio and Artoo would be needed when they arrived. But that relies heavily on EU and thus can't be used as canon.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-13-2002, 10:31 AM
If it wasn't for Lando, we'd never have the odd EU name "Tamtel Skeej." :p Besides, he left first (with Chewie) to look for Han, so he would be the recon man to coordinate the rescue, of course.

Jonna
05-13-2002, 11:23 AM
I believe that I heard that Lando was introduced into the story because African-Americans were going to boy-cot the second movie becuase there were only Caucasions on the first film.

Jonna
05-13-2002, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Jonna
I believe that I heard that Lando was introduced into the story because African-Americans were going to boy-cot the second movie becuase there were only Caucasions on the first film.

Can anyone confirm this???:confused:

stillakid
05-13-2002, 01:14 PM

Can anyone confirm this???:confused:

Yeah, and the Nemodians were put into TPM because the Asians were protesting. And Jar Jar made it because the Jamaican's were protesting. And ....:rolleyes:

Wookiee
05-13-2002, 02:46 PM
Lando falling from the Skiff, being saved by Han is a great scene if only to illustrate the loyalty and bravery of Han's character. Last time Han saw Lando, he was selling him out. Now Lando's in trouble and Han is right there to rescue him, without having time to ask questions or figure out who's on the level and what's going on entirely. It's a great scene because it really shows you what a good character Han really is. He may be a scoundrel, but he always looks out for his friends.

stillakid
05-13-2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Wookiee
Lando falling from the Skiff, being saved by Han is a great scene if only to illustrate the loyalty and bravery of Han's character. Last time Han saw Lando, he was selling him out. Now Lando's in trouble and Han is right there to rescue him, without having time to ask questions or figure out who's on the level and what's going on entirely. It's a great scene because it really shows you what a good character Han really is. He may be a scoundrel, but he always looks out for his friends.

...and he'd never shoot first.;)

2-1B
05-13-2002, 05:32 PM

I doubt that.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
05-13-2002, 07:57 PM
Why was Lando useless? Because he was busy drinkin Colt 45!

stillakid
05-13-2002, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Hasbro'sBountyHunter
Why was Lando useless? Because he was busy drinkin Colt 45!

Well, I'll be dipped...you're right!

2-1B
05-13-2002, 08:23 PM
:D
Last night on the Red Carpet Wayne Brady did a great combo impression of Lando / Colt 45

Freedom
05-13-2002, 09:56 PM
Chewie gave Han the lowdown on all the hard work Lando had been doing to rescue him while they were in Jabba's dungeon.

There was also a cut scene after the sail barge explodes and before we see the Falcon and X-wing leaving Tatoine where Han and Lando have a talk. Maybe if we're lucky, it'll be included in the ESB DVD.

JEDIpartner
05-14-2002, 09:58 AM
If we're REALLY lucky!

I've got some stills of that scene and it looked pretty sweet.

RooJay
05-14-2002, 08:40 PM
Surely you mean the ROTJ DVD.;)