PDA

View Full Version : R2 D2 and Stairs

stillakid
05-12-2002, 07:23 PM
In Watto's Shoppe, Watto leads Qui Gon out back to the junkyard. R2 follows them. Problem is, the only way out is up a short bit of stairs. How did R2 do it?

mylow thehutt
05-12-2002, 07:43 PM
it shows how he does it in one of the moives,it shows him going down,he puts one leg down the turns then puts the other down,and so on and so forth.oh it was in A new hope when luke said what a piece of junck,behind him you see R2 going down the stairs.hope that helps.

mylow thehutt
05-12-2002, 07:45 PM
going up is a different story

mylow thehutt
05-12-2002, 07:46 PM
or not

JediTricks
05-13-2002, 12:53 AM
We also saw R2 walking down stairs in ANH when the group is entering docking bay 94, he just kinda waddles down one step at a time.

stillakid
05-13-2002, 12:58 AM
But how does he get up? Even if he "waddled" up those stairs somehow, he sure made great time because in the very next cut, he's right behind Qui Gon and Watto in the junkyard. Same for the exit scene out of the shoppe.

And there's always the matter of his navigating through the wild forests of Endor in the search for Leia. I don't know about you guys, but any woods I've ever walked through included many fallen trees and large rocks to get over or around at some point.

And for that matter, how did he get in and out of the X-Wing on Dagobah in ROTJ?

And in ESB, he fell out of the X-Wing, but how did he get back into his socket?

bigbarada
05-13-2002, 04:45 AM
File under: "Pointless Questions"

Anyway, Artoo was supposed to be much more agile than what he appeared onscreen; but due to the limited technology of 1977 he was forced to move like he does. When Star Wars became such a success, Artoo became an icon so there was no way to redesign him without people noticing. Thus he is just that magical little droid who always appears where he is needed. Which is part of his appeal.

LTBasker
05-13-2002, 05:31 AM
Well for getting OUT of the X-wing I figured from the scene in ESB that there was a tiny elevator type piece to help them manually out. Although how they're actually supposed to get down when it's fully landed without help of mechanics...

How did he also go over those sand dunes with those tiny little wheels? ;)

187-Maul
05-13-2002, 10:02 AM
guess R2 is just a superdroid...:p
everytime there is trouble: R2 saves the day!

no seriously, maybe he just used his boosters to get up the steps like he should have had in episode 1

Beast
05-13-2002, 01:04 PM
Well, Luke could have used the force to levitate R2-D2 in and out of the X-Wing. Since we never see R2-D2 board or disembark the X-wing himself in the movie, other then the time he falls off into the swamp. Most other pilots probably keep their droids in the droid socket, most of the time. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
05-13-2002, 07:32 PM
As for getting up stairs, R2's legs move up and down just above the ankles, they telescope, so he just moves one foot up, tips the opposite way, moves it forward, plants it, and pulls himself up.

mylow thehutt
05-13-2002, 07:43 PM
how does 3po sit up.or stand up when he falls.Forget Yoda and Boba's mysterys lets hear 3PO,and R2's.

stillakid
05-13-2002, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
As for getting up stairs, R2's legs move up and down just above the ankles, they telescope, so he just moves one foot up, tips the opposite way, moves it forward, plants it, and pulls himself up.

Ah! This calls for another R2 resculpt with telescoping leg action. I wasn't aware of that feature.

JediTricks
05-14-2002, 01:44 AM
Actually, the figure should also have silver tubing between the feet and the body, since that's where Kenny Baker's feet went when he was in the little droid. Also, if you wanna get technical, in ANH, whenever R2 went from 2- to 3-legged mode, his right leg would start to come off as he rolled away and they always had to cut away, when they cut back, it was a different R2 with his rear legs bolted to the body with flat pieces of metal.

3PO is actually more flexible than it seems, Anthony Daniels says he could "basically" move the same in the suit, though a little slower and more restricted (and careful, since it could cut him in places you NEVER want to be cut). The droid is made to flex at the hips more than it looks and also at the lower torso where the black mesh and wiring is.

bigbarada
05-14-2002, 02:32 AM
However, Anthony Daniels did say that the Threepio suit made it impossible to go from sitting to standing and vice versa. In the scene where Ben and Luke pick him up after the Tusken Raider attack, he was only wearing the top half of the suit and the wipe was used in a clever way to conceal that.

chris
06-05-2002, 11:55 AM
Learning about R2 only makes me appreciate him more. Star Wars is full of great characters, but what would it be without R2?

saladin
06-08-2002, 12:31 AM
it would be a load of crap, and know one would watch.

DarthBrandon
06-08-2002, 12:39 AM
Simple Artoo is one with the Force, Yoda instructed him some few years back.

SQueek
06-08-2002, 09:40 PM
Yoda IS artoo and when you see them together he is projecting himself as a force hologram, why do you think hes always helping everyone!?

Darkross
06-21-2002, 11:50 AM
Watch Episode II when Anakin and Padme arrive on Naboo...R2 climbs the stairs behind them using his center leg to help climb the stairs.

stillakid
06-21-2002, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Darkross
Watch Episode II when Anakin and Padme arrive on Naboo...R2 climbs the stairs behind them using his center leg to help climb the stairs.

Thanks! My question was posted pre-AOTC. The answer doesn't really address how he does it so fast.

Or how he levitates himself into the X-Wing slot.

Darkross
06-21-2002, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by stillakid

Thanks! My question was posted pre-AOTC. The answer doesn't really address how he does it so fast.

Or how he levitates himself into the X-Wing slot.

Booster rockets! I've always wondered how he got into the x-wing slot without the crane in the hangars...but maybe he used his booster rockets...or maybe Luke or Yoda would use the force to put him in. I prefer to believe that there is a mobil crane or lift that is installed on all x-wings that help put the droid in the slot.

Darkross
06-21-2002, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by stillakid

He actually does it quite fast in AOTC...and he speeds along the ground quite fast behind Anakin and Padme on Tatooine!

DarthBatman
07-06-2002, 02:44 PM
It's obivous, really: R2D2 is actually a jedi, trained in the hidden Jedi Droid Temple. He uses the force to levitate himself about.