PDA

View Full Version : Hey Hasbro! Listen up and Listen Good!

Brave Sir Robin
09-11-2001, 01:25 PM
Dear Hasbro
It has been discussed in the General forum that most people think the idea of you making a 3 3/4 inch Indiana Jones line would be pretty darn swell. Just to save you the trouble, here is a list of the figures that should be in each wave.

Indiana Jones (leather jacket) w/ bullwhip, idol and sandbag
Marion Ravenwood w/ medallion & vodka bottle
German Mechanic w/ removable hat, jacket and wrench
Short Round w/ removable cap & playing cards
Mola Ram w/ removable head gear & stones
Henry Jones Sr. w/ removable hat, suitcase and diary
Grail Guardian Knight w/ Holy Grail, sword and Bible

Indiana Jones (Temple) w/ bullwhip and machete
German Officer w/ interchangable normal and melting heads
Willie Scott w/ anditdote & ash pot
Marcus brody w/ apple
Maha Raja w/ Indy Voodoo doll
German Officer from Crusade w/ shovel and pistol

Indiana Jones in Arab disguise w/ staff of Ra
Sallah w/ bad dates
Dr. Elsa Scnieder w/ record player
Eyepatch guy w/ monkey
Indy in German Officer disguise
Walter Donovan w/ interchangable normal and rotting heads

VEHICLES
Motorcycle w/ Indy and Henry
Horse w/ Indy
Camel w/ sallah
German Tank
Truck w/ Lost Ark & Driver figure.

thank you Hasbro. if you could make this this would be cool to no end

evenflow
09-11-2001, 04:26 PM
1. Indy w/ gun, pouch, whip, and Gold Idle
2. Indy in German uniform
3. Indy w/ Knife no jacket
4. Indy w/ removable hat & grail
5. Henry Jones w/ removable hat & grail diary
6. Young Indiana w/ cross and dog
7. Marion Ravenwood w/ medallion
8. Belloq w/ map
9. Belloq in Ceremonial Gown
10. Sallah w/ torch
11. German soldier w/ gun
12. German Mechanic w/ wrench
13. German General w/ baton
14. Dr. Shnieder w/ false grail
15. Marcus Brody
16. Knight w/ armor & sword
17. Mola Rom w/ removable head gear
18. Short Round w/ removable cap
19. Willie in gold/red dress w/ diamond & antedote
20. Giant Thugee
21. Cairo Swordsman w/ sword
22. Toht w/ gun & coat
23. Donalvin w/ grail tablit
24. Casim w/ gun (brotherhood guy)

Beast assortment:
25. Sallah w/ red hat with Camel
26. Indy w/ white horse
27. Henry w/ bandana with brown horse

Playsets:
28. Well of Souls w/ snakes, ark, & Cermonial Indy
29. Streets of Cairo w/ Arab Spy & monkey
30. Underground Venice tomb w/ coffins, skeletons, second marking(shield), & rats

Vehicles:
31. Motorcycle w/ Sidecar

Mail Away:
32. German Leader (Hitler)

hairless chewie
09-12-2001, 06:36 AM
An Indy 3 3/4 line?? Holy no brainer! Look how quick the Disney exclusive stuff was snapped up and that stuff didn't even look that good. I always have wanted to get the old Indy stuff but the prices are too much and that should be a sign in itself!!! Way to go sir Brave!!!

Jargo
09-12-2001, 11:08 AM
An interesting proposal but for the inclusion in evenflow's list of Mr. A Hitler. Somehow I can't see that little gem reaching retail...! More than a little tasteless evenflow. Action figures are intended as celebration of heroes and made up villains. Celebrating a mass murderer in a toy line is not really appropriate I think. :confused:

Brave Sir Robin
09-12-2001, 11:39 AM
uh, yeah, that's right. we decided in the General forums that most people did NOT want to see Hitler brought into plastic form. If you really want him folks, it's a customizers job.

Obi-Dan Kenobi
09-12-2001, 06:00 PM
I still don't see how if we can have Jason Vorhees, or for that matter, Darth Vader--- both mass murderers, mind you, even if fictional---we can't have Hitler in a line that, like Star Wars, is mostly going to be bought by adults. I mean, will kids be into this? The Indy movies are so twenty years ago. Is it just worse because he's real? What about gruesome, Satanic things like spawn figures? If it was done right, I don't see anything wrong with it. We've had Nazi figures in the past. And it's not like you're going to tell your kids he's a nice guy or anything. I don't know, as long as the line isn't called "Hitler, Your Playful Pal" or anything, but focused on Indiana Jones, I don't think it's glorifying him at all. In fact, that scene kind of shows him to be an idiot. Now those stupid Eminem figures I have a problem with.

El Chuxter
09-12-2001, 06:52 PM
I don't know. . . when people run around with pics of Vader or Freddy on their t-shirts, it's cool. Run around with Hitler on your shirt, though. . . I wouldn't recommend trying it to gauge the reaction.

TheJedi
09-12-2001, 07:11 PM
El Chuxter, I laughed out loud when I read your post. That is so true. I would support having Hitler made though. Just to fill out the Jones line. And it wouldn't see retail anyway as Evenflow aptly put it down as a mail away.

bigbarada
09-12-2001, 08:33 PM
The difference between making a toy of Darth Vader and making a toy of Hitler, is that Darth Vader's victims don't have surviving relatives. If you can't see the difference between Darth Vader and Hitler then maybe you should put aside Star Wars for a while and get a grip on reality. Hitler was a horrible man who killed millions of people based solely on their race. Darth Vader is a image on celluloid.

Given your theory that people shouldn't care about mass murderer action figures: Who wants to see an Osama bin Laden action figure right now? Or how about Timothy McVey? Jeffrey Daumer, anyone? Or how about the two Columbine shooters? I'm sure any parent would be happy to let their kid play with that.

Just because Hitlers actions happened over 50 years ago doesn't make them any less horiffic.

Eternal Padawan
09-12-2001, 11:32 PM
Excellent point BigB. For my thoughts on a Hitler figure see the "Broaden your Horizons" thread in misc...

Brave Sir Robin
09-13-2001, 01:15 PM
I fully agree with everyone who does not want a Hitler toy. Yes, he did appear in the movie, but that was intended as part of Indy's tendancy of running into actual historic characters (he meets up with almost everybody in the books and in the Young Indy TV series) but Hitler was a madman, a monster, and he should not be made as a toy, not from an Indiana Jones line, and not in a "historic" military line. I even find the idea of kids playing with George Armstrong Custer from the Legend of the Lone Ranger toy line a little upsetting. Hitler is a horrifying memory of what ultimate destruction a single human being is capable of, and should be left as that, and not turned into an action figure.

El Chuxter
09-13-2001, 04:09 PM
JediTricks said elsewhere there's already been a figure of Hitler, but it's one I've never heard of. In an Indiana Jones line, it couldn't work at all--Indy's way too high profile.

If you think for a moment that there wouldn't be an outcry, think back to 1993 and the release of Guns 'n' Roses The Spaghetti Incident? album. The final song--unlisted in the liner notes--was written by Charles Manson. I thought Axl Rose would end up being lynched. Hitler is many times worse than Manson--about six million times worse.

Obi-Dan Kenobi
09-13-2001, 05:06 PM
Chuxter, the t-shirt comment was good, and it made me think of something.

When I was in college, I would see people wearing Manson shirts. And Axl was a big proponent of this, since he wore one on stage. I thought that was sick.

In a recent interview, a guy from Slipknot said he'd like to buy Hitler a soda. That's sick.

There's a line of trading card that feature serial killers. That's maybe even sicker than the other two.

And I think it's horrible to make an action figure of Hitler that glorifies him. But I don't see how this glorifies him. The scene mocks him. It makes a fool of him. I mean, that's what's great about the scene! Indy comes face-to-face with the ultimate evil on earth, and Hitler's own arrogance and ego get him off the hook. How can you take issue with a figure if you don't take issue with his appearance in the film? I don't know, I guess I can see how the figure is more a product and the film more a work of art. And maybe there would be an outcry. There hasn't been over the more obscure toy versions of mass-murderers. (Custer is a good example.) Maybe Indy is more high-profile, but I don't think most kids really care about these movies the way I did, or most of us in this forum did. I wouldn't really support a Hitler figure in this line, but I'd be able to live with it, if it was done the way it's been suggested. I don't think it's necessary. I mean, it's a relatively minor scene in the context of the whole trilogy. But I could live with it.

Obi-Dan Kenobi
09-13-2001, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
The difference between making a toy of Darth Vader and making a toy of Hitler, is that Darth Vader's victims don't have surviving relatives. If you can't see the difference between Darth Vader and Hitler then maybe you should put aside Star Wars for a while and get a grip on reality.

I wasn't goung to respond to this, but I will now.

I wasn't implying that people shouldn't care about figures based on mass murderers, but I do think that the two figures I mentioned glorify evil more than a Hitler figure in an Indy line would. And I don't appreciate you telling me to get a grip on reality. I have many interests that go beyond Star Wars.

I think you all have good points. Hitler's actions were horrific, and Bigbarada's point that his victims were real is an important one. I've been to Berlin, Paris, and Belgium and seen some of the places where this stuff happened. I've even met people who were in Germany's army in WWII. It's a very touchy subject here in the US, and even moreso over there. I wouldn't support glorifying Hitler, but I don't think this kind of figure would glorify him. Pretty much everyone else disagrees. However, if I were an executive at Hasbro, I would never let this see production, because as the comments shown here illustrate, it would anger many people. I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I'll shut up about it now.

And if anyone from Hasbro has read this far, plese release some Indy figures! But for God's sake, no Hitler!

bigbarada
09-13-2001, 11:10 PM
Putting all the Hitler discussion aside, I would love to see an Indiana Jones action figure line!

bigbarada
09-13-2001, 11:31 PM
Oh yeah, Obi-Dan Kenobi, I'm sorry if I came off a little harsh. We're cool, right?:cool: :D

Obi-Dan Kenobi
09-14-2001, 12:16 AM
Yes, we're cool. My comments made you a bit angry, your comment made me a little defensive, but I'm not going to hold a grudge (even an internet grudge) over something like that. We've all had enough to be emotional about lately, especially someone like you in the military. The last thing we need is for me to be all petty about a discussion on action figures.:)

Eternal Padawan
09-14-2001, 01:34 AM
Along the Hitler/Indiana Jones/Star Wars tangent. The guy who played Hitler in the movie (and we all chuckled at that scene in the film) was played by Admiral "He's as clumsy as he is stupid" Ozzel, the venerable Michael Shearer. Or something like that.

I don't want an Indiana Jones toy line as it would wreak havoc on my bank account...:(

Sith Apprentice
09-27-2001, 10:54 AM
:confused:

I hate to go back to the issue of Hitler, figure or not, but I happen to find it very interesting and feel that it is fair game for discussion. As a military historian by hobby, and now by profession, I see this as a particularly difficult issue. I want to open by saying I am NOT a Nazi apologist or a denier of the holocaust or any of that David Irving type of crap, I am just interested in the mechanics of history itself and how we view it.

I can understand Big Barada's point about defining the difference between Vader and Hitler in terms of fictional and real but he makes a difficult generalisation.

"Hitler was a horrible man who killed millions of people based solely on their race. Darth Vader is a image on celluloid."

There is no evidence to say that Hitler directly killed even one person during his time as leader of Germany. What I am trying to say is that, yes he had responsibility, but it required the actions of many others to implement the policies of Hitler, Heydrich, Himmler et al. Following this logic, should we therefore not have a blanket ban upon all toys representing German soldiers from the World War 2 period? I know that companies like Dragon, Ultimate Soldier and 21st Century toys all make representations of Fallschirmjaeger, SS troops and other axis powers soldiers. Should not all of these be banned because they are a representation of a group which may have killed innocents during the course of the war?

Big Barada also states:
"The difference between making a toy of Darth Vader and making a toy of Hitler, is that Darth Vader's victims don't have surviving relatives."

Again, a valid and fair point. However, where again do we draw the line? The same toy companies as mentioned above make repesentations of Vietnam era US troops, British Paras and Marines, as well as American and British WW2 bomber pilots. I know they also make special editions so there is probably one of Paul Tibbets, who flew the Enola ***and generals like Patton and Montgomery. The actions of these groups and individuals have resulted in the deaths of thousands, all of whom still have surviving relatives. I believe around 2 million Vietnamese civillians died from 1964 to 1975. The Hiroshima bomb killed around 150,00 directly and indirectly. British troops in the Falklands killed several hundred Argentines. American and British bombers killed 135,000 civillians in Dresden in ONE night during 1945. All of those who died probably have surviving relatives. I think the issue here is very much one that History tends to be told from the viewpoint of the winner. Had Germany won the second world war, we would have heard about the Russian holocaust rather than the German one. It has only been in the fairly recent period that historians have come to realise that Stalin was responsible for more deaths than Hitler. Because he was our ally, and basically won the war, he got to rewrite history on his own terms. The idea seems to have been that the killing that the Allied powers carried out was fair game to eradicate 'evil', whereas all of the killing that the Axis did was evil in itself. What a load of rubbish. Were all of the people in Dresden fanatical Nazis who wanted to eradicate the Jewish nation? Of course not. Most were insignificant individuals like you or I who had no impact on international events and just wanted to survive the night. My great grandfather was shot through the hand on the Somme in 1916. My Great Uncle was held in a Japanese POW camp during the WW2 and died shortly afterwards, but my opinion is not to despise all Japanes and Germans because of the actions of individuals.

I guess what I am trying to say, as a historian, is that to refuse to produce a Hitler action figure is absolutely fine, and in no way should he be glorified. However, following the logic put forward on this thread for that rationalisation, neither should you produce any of the German characters from the Indiana Jones trilogy as figures. This is especially the case with the SS officer from The Last Crusade who is representative of a group of people that did the kind of horrific killing during the second world war that Big Barada mentions. I hope I have managed to put my point across rationally and I would welcome some comeback on this. Discussion about this period should not be taboo. It is from such discussion that people can make rational decisions and that humanity can try to prevent such things happening again.

bigbarada
09-27-2001, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Sith Apprentice
The idea seems to have been that the killing that the Allied powers carried out was fair game to eradicate 'evil', whereas all of the killing that the Axis did was evil in itself. What a load of rubbish.

Actually, that's exactly how I see it. If you consider that rubbish then that's your opinion. Does this make me ignorant and backward in my thinking? Probably. Do I care? Not one bit. Am I going to change? Nope.

Sorry, I know you were hoping for a more eloquent, well thought out answer; but I just don't have one to give. These are just the reasons I personally have for not wanting a Hitler figure. I don't need them to be accepted or justified by others.

Utinni
09-27-2001, 09:12 PM
...and an Apple Dumpling Gang toyline would be pretty cool, too.

(Sorry, I had to lighten the mood)

back to the original topic. Why is there no Indy line? is it some kind of legal hassle, or does the toy company who has the rights feel that it wouldn't do very well.

Sith Apprentice
09-28-2001, 04:08 PM
That's cool BB, because, as I stated, this is an issue that people should be able to discuss without it becoming personal. I'm a military historian by hobby and occupation. Good historians should be objective and not subjective. That is of course difficult when it comes to emotive issue such as war.

I wasn't saying that your specific ideas were rubbish. Nor was I saying that WW2 was not fought to safeguard democracy and to defeat an 'evil' opponent. What I was trying to say was that it's difficult to generalise on such an issue because no one person can be directly responsible for such a huge number of deaths, in the end it comes down to individual motive.

Basically, what this means is that I am a bit of a stirrer and like playing devils advocate even in terms of issues I don't really believe in. Anyway BB, I didn't mean to offend you and hope I didn't because I happen to respect a lot of the posts that you make within the forums.

Also sorry if I have changed the tone of this thread uneccessarily for others and will now shut my hole. Apart from to say that I would also like to see Indy figures but I don't think my wallet can take it. In a similar vein, any news in the US about possible Indy DVD releases?

bigbarada
09-28-2001, 10:59 PM
Don't worry about it, Sith Apprentice, I tend to take everything said in these forums with a grain of salt, since it is easy to misunderstand someone when you are not talking to them face to face. I really do respect your opinion on this, and it has given me cause to re-evaluate the way I look at history. If a Hitler figure was made, I wouldn't be out picketting in front of the store or anything; but I definitely wouldn't buy one.

As for the Indy line, I would definitely be interested in a well made 3 3/4" Indiana Jones figure; but I wouldn't have the funds to collect a second line of toys. Just trying to keep up with new POTJ releases while still completing my vintage collection is straining my budget enough.

humsup
10-10-2001, 12:41 AM
I have seen at the 1/6 scale area that a head of Hitler was produced with his trademarked moustache. The likeness is not there though. However, I have not seen a full figure of him made. Rommel was made by a few Action Figure company as a full figure with accessories.

Coming back to Hitler, I would think it is not a very good idea to produce him as an Action Figure as all have agreed what a evil person he is. But if one day this character did enter the toy world, I think he will enjoy good sales. But you can catch glimse of its decapitated body parts thrown along the streats for a mile long .... ... no prize for guessing who'll do this.