PDA

View Full Version : Did you watch the Fan Films awards?

2-1B
05-12-2002, 09:40 PM
Kevin Smith hosted this show on Sci-Fi, introducing a number of dfferent fan films. I thought Kevers was disappointing as host, his quip about fan filmers having "no interest in girls" is a tired stereotype and he kept doing this grabbing thing with his hands when he said "Clones". I didn't catch the writing credit, if he wrote a lot of the stuff himself I wonder if he can only write well when being profane. :p

There were some nice little films. I think my favorite was probably the one that Lucas hand picked, an animated musical sung by a girl who asks Santa for a Falcon and Tauntaun toy. It was catchy, it had me entertained the whole time instead of most of the others that were spotty.
One cartoon that follows George's "firing" of Jar Jar let me down because the George character pronounced Liam Neeson's character as "Quee-Gon" several times. Not that it's a big deal by itself, but jeez if you are that disgusted by Jar Jar and TPM you should really get the names right so it doesn't look as if you're following the trend of dissing those elements. :)

bigbarada
05-12-2002, 11:10 PM
I don't get cable so I didn't get to see it.:(

Lord Malakite
05-12-2002, 11:23 PM
All the winners and finalists are on atomfilms website right now for your viewing pleasure bigbarada.

sith_killer_99
05-12-2002, 11:29 PM
KEWL, thanx LM

I actually recorded the show. I really enjoyed some of the stuff.

I think Kev's joke was a bit more than meets the eye. Afterall, he made it big with indy films and SW jokes.

Sort of like the pot calling the bigger pot, um kettle, uh, whatever.

bigbarada
05-12-2002, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Lord_Malakite
All the winners and finalists are on atomfilms website right now for your viewing pleasure bigbarada.

:cool:

stillakid
05-13-2002, 01:28 AM
Is this being rerun to anyone's knowledge? I caught the show about 15 minutes into it and would like to see the whole thing if possible...

2-1B
05-13-2002, 01:41 AM
Stillakid, I just checked my Dish online channel guide for you. You're Pacific Time, correct? It says the show will be on again Monday 13 May at 8pm. :)

SithDroid
05-13-2002, 01:58 AM
I missed it all except for the last one with the little singing girl about SW Christmas. I guess I'll have to try and catch it tomorrow.

vulcantouch
05-13-2002, 12:30 PM
. . .& personally i feel sorry for the brits who made that dopey xmas tauntaun flik lucas picked as his fave, cuz the honor is just gonna make fans all over the world (like me) rain scorn down upon that lame peiceacrap :p so That's what emperor jorge picked as his fave? uh oh, meesa fwaid dat no fortend well for da epishode 2 coolnessh :p
from what i did see, this special documented once & for all that sweeks can be every bit as dorky as trekkies- see? it's all one big happy, laughable world, can't we all jist git along :D

stillakid
05-13-2002, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
Stillakid, I just checked my Dish online channel guide for you. You're Pacific Time, correct? It says the show will be on again Monday 13 May at 8pm. :)

Thanks! I'll take a look. Something's wrong with the auto-subscribe feature here at SSG so I didn't see this right away.

If anyone hasn't seen Christmas Tauntauns, I highly recommend it. Very very clever and deserving of the award. I hope he gets a three picture deal.

JetsAndHeels
05-13-2002, 08:05 PM
I saw the program last night. I enjoyed it very much. Some funny and creative stuff in there.
Among my favorites were "Gangsta Rap", "Christmas Tauntauns", and the psychic Jedi Line.

LTBasker
05-14-2002, 01:20 AM
I got to see it tonight cause I missed it last night. Alot of them were really funny, I was hoping they'd show all of TROOPS though.

The ones I didn't like was George & Jar-Jar cause well... I like Jar-Jar. :happy:

The one that parodies the Matrix was actually sort of annoying... some ok F/X there but it was just kinda dull...plus I hated the Matrix. :p

I think my favorite ones were Jawas Gone Wild, Gangsta Rap, TROOPS, DV's Psychic hotline and the one that parodies the Army commercials.

bigbarada
05-14-2002, 01:43 AM
My brother recorded it so I got a chance to see it today.

I liked the JarJar one, even though I really like JarJar. Just a really cool animated style.

The Gangsta Rap was cool, but there were other contestants that looked more interesting from the nominees.

The Jedi/Matrix thing was dumb.

browndroid
05-14-2002, 01:59 AM
yeah i saw it, i liked the one where it had obi and it was like the matrix

dirtybones
05-14-2002, 10:10 AM
Troopers was funny as hell! I loved the way the they dealt with those little punk *** Jawas.

2-1B
05-14-2002, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by vulcantouch
. . .& personally i feel sorry for the brits who made that dopey xmas tauntaun flik lucas picked as his fave, cuz the honor is just gonna make fans all over the world (like me) rain scorn down upon that lame peiceacrap :p so That's what emperor jorge picked as his fave? uh oh, meesa fwaid dat no fortend well for da epishode 2 coolnessh :p
from what i did see, this special documented once & for all that sweeks can be every bit as dorky as trekkies- see? it's all one big happy, laughable world, can't we all jist git along :D

Awww come on VT, "Christmas Tauntauns" was so cuuuuuute! :p
How about Max Rebo's grand entrance toward the end? That was cool! :D

stillakid
05-15-2002, 12:20 AM
I taped the show last night but haven't had a chance to watch the whole thing. But I did see Christmas Tauntauns and love it. Surprisingly to me, a bunch of SW friends that I work with hated it.

Many of the fan films that get made are poorly done Jedi fights and the like, but this was far and away the most original "fan film" I've seen. Of course, nothing can beat TROOPS or DUALITY, but Xmas Tauntauns was very cute.

LTBasker
05-15-2002, 12:49 AM
The Max Rebo part was the best part of Christmas Tauntauns, which was... Cute, yet annoying...yet catchy.