PDA

View Full Version : Snaggletooth doesn't have a big head...

JediTricks
08-16-2001, 12:32 PM
Dudes and Dudessas, I don't think the new Snaggletooth (http://www.figures.com/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=ssnews2.setup&category=starwars&topic=26&show_article=456) (aka Zutton) figure has a giant mellon, I think he has a SMALL BODY! Think about the corrected vint figure and it's lack of height, and look at how Duros' gun looks a bit bigger in Snag's hand! Hasbro is including a drinking glass, a pistol, a bazooka (!!!) and extra articulation for kneeling and sitting, why would they make a big-head figure come with all this stuff as well? Look how big his hands are compared to his feet, his arms, his torso, I think this is a figure about the height of a Jawa with a normal-sized head, NOT a figure with a skull the size of the Death Star.

SunCrusher
08-16-2001, 12:40 PM
His body does seem to be quite small. However, have we actually seen a picture yet of what he looks like compared to other figures? Until we see a comparison, it's hard to tell which is actually larger.

Pellaeon
08-16-2001, 12:52 PM
I can say this, because I am too, and that's "With a mellon like that, he's got to be part Scottish" I swear I saw him in Braveheart.

12inch Lando
08-16-2001, 01:03 PM
Well, for whatever reason his head looks quite huge. I still like him though. Great accessories too.

AmanaMatt
08-16-2001, 01:53 PM
well, I feel sorry for his mom! Can't imagine what it felt like to pass thru with a cranium that size.

'THAT'S ONE HUGE NOGGIN'

Fulit
08-16-2001, 02:17 PM
There is a rather disproportionate head/body ratio, but the head sculpt looks pretty good. I just wish he had the blue outfit on, he does look kind of like Michael Jackson in the "Thriller" video.

JediCole
08-16-2001, 03:02 PM
I am reproducing my reply to a thread in "Dear Hasbro" that is appropriate to this one. It is followed by additional thoughts specific to this thread.

"Check out the big head on Zutton!" (Mace Winfield, Pulp Wars)
As to the big head on Snags, I believe Zutton was played by a little person (dwarf). If you look closely at the proportions of the figure you will see that this is an accurate portrayal of a little person in a costume with a large mask. It is difficult to make out this distinction as the figure is not shown to scale with others, but when the pics arrive from Wizard World, I'm sure you will see that he is a lot shorter than most.

As to the thought that Zutton should be in the blue uniform, this is like suggesting that Ponda Boba should appear in a high neck orange jerkin with blue sleeves and blue slacks and Jacque Cousteau designer flipper boots. There simply was never a blue uniform! I believe Zutton may actually be from the Holiday Special, someone more knowledgeable will have to confirm that. Zutton is suffering from the "Ugnaught Syndrome". When the POTF2 Ugnaught 2-Pack was released, there was wide-spread complaint about how awful the sculpts looked. How could Hasbro make such lousy sculpts when everything else was improving. The answer is simple, they were not poor sculpts, they were incredibly ACCURATE sculpts. The sad truth is, the Ugnaughts are just poorly made (the masks that appear on film that is). Watch Empire closely sometime and you will see how awful the Ugnaugts look and how accurate the sculpts for the figures recreated the look on the screen. Zutton accuratly portrays a little person with a mask. Personally I salute Hasbo's "pull no punches" approach to as-it-appeared-on-screen realism that is evident in the Amanaman sculpt as well. Now we just need a new Momaw Nadon that is accurate and all will be well.

Fulit
08-16-2001, 04:05 PM
The only reason I suggested Zutton have a blue outfit is because I seem to remember the vintage Snaggletooth having that variation. I could be wrong. I don't know if he was wearing blue in the movies ever, hell, how many figures have come out w/ something that wasn't in the movies? And plus, we already HAVE a Snaggletooth with a red outfit. It's a Malibu Stacy thing, see?

Also, that Ponda Baba variation sounds cool, they should have released him on an EU card or something!

Pellaeon
08-16-2001, 05:01 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Takeel (or is it Nabrun Leids or Labria) from the Cantina Aliens 3-Pack a snaggletooth? If so, you are right, we already have the red suited version. All of these figures look like prototypes, so I think the head size and cloak could be changed.

jedi master sal
08-16-2001, 05:08 PM
I think the pic is a photoshopped version and not the real pic.

Why would hasbro make an absolutly hideous mistake as the big head

oh yeah wait han solo of the 70's and greedo of the POTF series

MY BAD!

Fulit
08-16-2001, 05:20 PM
On a lighter note, I read in a Star Wars guide somewhere that Snaggletooth's species is Sniivian or something and that they are "violent sociopaths". Probably due to millenia of being made fun of for their large heads, or small bodies, as the case may be.

jedi master sal
08-16-2001, 05:24 PM
I thought it was all the spice the had.

Glitterstim and the like.

pthfnder89
08-16-2001, 05:28 PM
I don't think it is Sal. There just wouldn't be much point to it. I think that will bear out when we see "real life" pics from the Wizard World tomorrow, I bet it will look exactly the same.

JediTricks, I'm kind of surprised anybody thinks that the body ISN'T tiny. Granted, they don't have any other figures in the shot to compare to, but looking at the lenth of his legs, and the size of the Duros gun (which is VERY small) he absolutely doesn't have a huge head, it just looks enormous on his Jawa sized body.

Also, ask yourself how Hasbro would be including so many cool accesories AND leg articulation if they were ALSO using all that plastic on a full sized figure. Does that sound like the Hasbro we all know and love? ;)

puppetboy
08-16-2001, 05:48 PM
It is a large head on a small body. This character accurately dipicts the snivian seen on the holiday special, but what I was wondering was he ever seen in the cantina scene in the actual film. I know that Takeel, the snivvian from the cinema scene was and is movie accurate from what we can see of him.If so then the red suit is acurrate for botgh of them. Although a blue suited variant would be cool for nostalgic reasons. Or maybe they can do the bue suited snivvian from cloud city.

jedi master sal
08-16-2001, 06:00 PM
what blue suited snivian from cloud city?

where was that?

Obi-Dan Kenobi
08-16-2001, 06:07 PM
Everything I've heard seems to indicate that Zutton was NOT in the Cantina Scene in A New Hope. He was just one of Bea Arthur's friends in the Holiday Special. (It was Bea Arthur, right?)
I think the figure looks pretty accurate, and is obviously short like the old red Snaggletooth.

puppetboy
08-16-2001, 06:15 PM
In Cloud city in the scene where the city is being evacuated and everybody is running you see to people in blue run by if for one second if you blink you'll miss them. If you pause it or slow it down you can just make them out. One is a snivvian and the other is that gerbil looking guy from the cantina. The was a still picure iof the two of them that was on a notebook and a poster produced at the time of ESB, this is how I know who they are.

Fulit
08-16-2001, 06:44 PM
Ha! I have been vinicated by puppetboy!. Thanks puppetboy!

evenflow
08-16-2001, 07:23 PM
The head does look a little too big.

Jargo
08-16-2001, 07:43 PM
The blue clothed Snivvian is a female in a soft blue diaphanous gown over slacks of the same and wears little blue pumps like ballet shoes. The figure Hasbro has reproduced is from the holiday special where he could be seen drinking at the bar masculine as the day is long and wearing a red jumpsuit with a black stripe down the side.
Hasbro have made this figure as an homage to the holiday special and the general nostalgia in the air as we head into the 25th year of star wars. I'm sure we'll see some more of this nostalgic throwback type figure in the next twelve months. What with the 25th anniversary 2-packs being released at the end of this year.........
Just use Zuttons 'big melon head' for customising then. It's excellent for that as it is normal sized and not a tiny head that would look soft on a full sized body. That's what I'm gonna do if I ever get hold of one. :)

Fulit
08-16-2001, 07:46 PM
But you do realize this new red suit they've got him in is nearly identical to Michael Jackson's Thriller outfit, right? I know I already said that, but every time I look at the picture it's all I can think of.

Jargo
08-16-2001, 08:46 PM
Zutton: .....I'm not like other Snivvians....OW! :p :rolleyes:

Starfig873
08-16-2001, 09:22 PM
Well I think its great! Finally someone for the rest of my figs to make fun of:

"Hey big head hows it goin?"

Zutton: "Shut up guys...I have a gun y'know"

Laughter fills the air as Zutton goes into a suicidal rage...:rolleyes:

JediCole
08-17-2001, 01:34 AM
Ok, I see I am forced to explain even more. It seems I was right, Zutton is from the Holiday Special. He DOES NOT appear in A New Hope. Takeel from the Cinema Scene does and as it has been pointed out, he is movie accurate. And yes, both Takeel and Zutton are "snaggletooths". So is Geezum who appears in Jabba's Palace in Return of the Jedi. There is even another "snaggletooth" in the Cantina! And yes, they even had a diminutive (that means small or short) one on Cloud City, though I have never seen it on film, just in pictures (accompanied by a Cloud City version of "Hare Mouse"). At any rate, the image is obviously NOT photoshopped. I think LucasFilm has the carte blance to get REAL photos of the figures from Hasbro. As to both of these similar characters being in red costumes, so what? Biggs and Luke (X-Wing Pilot), AND Porkins, AND the upcoming Dak are all in the SAME outfit! Porkins fills his out a bit more of course. Plus, not everyone bought every Cinema Scene (like I did). The bottom line with Zutton's head is this: Awkward or not, it is 100% on-screen accurate and I would rather have that than some kind of "expanded universe" style figure. And that reminds me, the earlier mention of Ponda Boba in orange and blue with diving fin boots was a nod to the vintage "Walrusman" figure. Someone suggested Zutton should be in blue like the first release vintage Snaggletooth and my reply was to jovially point out that that would be as accurate as having Ponda Boba in the same outfit as his shameful vintage incarnation. However, the presence of Zutton, so obviously from the Lucas-hated Holiday Special begs one question, are we to expect a Harvy Korman with a volcano head action figure next? Or perhaps Bea Arthur, or even Art Carny from the Holiday Special? That one would be "HANd- made, SOLO!" (For those of you who've lived through the Holiday Special).

QLD
08-17-2001, 03:49 AM
Man....Look at the size of that thing! It's huge man!

A freakin' bazooka????

Oh well, he looks ok still. Not that I wouldn't buy him anyway, because I am a *****.

His head looks like Ken Griffey Jr's head in the Simpsons after drinking all of that tonic.

JediTricks
08-17-2001, 04:34 AM
At least Pathfinder and Cole agree with me. :)

still, that "bazooka blaster" has me a little nervous, perhaps this figure was meant for the upcoming GI Joe restart line that's based around the Star Wars style body. ;)

GNT
08-17-2001, 06:27 AM
I've always wanted a new version of him and now I (will) have him!

I think he hasa huge head!!!!!! and that is the major let down for this figure!

Besides these could just be a prototypes!

manji
08-17-2001, 05:07 PM
Okay, I hate to keep beating a dead horse here, but could someone please verify something for me? Which Snaggletooth, Takeel or Zutton, should be considered a remake of the original Kenner red Snaggletooth? So Takeel is the one seen in the cantina, then? Please help!

puppetboy
08-17-2001, 11:45 PM
In cloud city in the scene where there evacuating the city and everyone is running like crazy two blue blurs go by the screen for a second, if you blink you'll miss them, you can barely make them out if you paause the scene. One of them is a snivvian and the other is that gerbil looking guy from the cantina. the reason I know who they are is that
i saw a still picture of them somewhere, it was in a book and on a folder or notebook for ESB.

JediTricks
08-18-2001, 09:02 AM
Ok, now we know, he has a small body, though bigger than a jawa (so basically, about as tall as Leia Bespin, I estimate) but he also has a big head, though not as big as it seems in the pics.

Starfig873
08-18-2001, 09:12 AM
The bazooka is a little odd...but how cool is it that he comes with a glass?!?

Actually...he kinda reminds me of the Star Wars version of Gary Colman....with a bazooka mind you.

Wuhur: "We don't serve there kind here!"
Zutton: "Whatchoo talkin bout Wuhur?"

:D

DarthQuack
02-04-2009, 08:37 AM
The bazooka is a little odd...but how cool is it that he comes with a glass?!?

Actually...he kinda reminds me of the Star Wars version of Gary Colman....with a bazooka mind you.

Wuhur: "We don't serve there kind here!"
Zutton: "Whatchoo talkin bout Wuhur?"

:D

Gary Coleman was the man.