PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro, should start to use 2 ups for sculpting dammit...

Darth Ovori
05-13-2002, 10:17 AM
I noticed that Hasbro it's scuplts the orginal prototypes to the finished 3 3/4" scale...

Now most toy companies are usually sculpting thier figures twice the size to get a more accurate finish and extra detail... Then they are scanned and the tool mold is laser made to the actaul selling product scale...

The advantage of this is getting a more accurate representation by working with a bigger scuplt, and add extra detail...

I see the Koto Clone trooper, and that helmet is more dynamic and closer to the movie, I actually like the clone trooper because of Koto... Why because it was sculpted in a larger scale...

The Hasbro Clone still looks like it has kettle for a helmet...

Mcfarlane Toys which is a much smaller company than Hasbro in budget has been using this technology for years...

Who else thinks that Hasbro should use better technology to give us better figures... Dammit it StarWars we're talking about here, and it need better figures...

pthfnder89
05-13-2002, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Darth Ovori
I noticed that Hasbro it's scuplts the orginal prototypes to the finished 3 3/4" scale...

Now most toy companies are usually sculpting thier figures twice the size to get a more accurate finish and extra detail... Then they are scanned and the tool mold is laser made to the actaul selling product scale...

Are you sure that Hasbrto sculpts the original in 3 3/4 scale? I never thought they did that.

Darth Ovori
05-13-2002, 12:53 PM
Well I saw the Ayla Secura pictures... in her prototype stages...

DahrJin
05-13-2002, 01:26 PM
Yeah, what happened to their "REAL SCAN" technology they were swearing by months ago?

Figures still look the same to me, good but still needs improvement.

JEDIpartner
05-13-2002, 01:43 PM
I couldn't agree with you more!!! The lack of detail and accuracy is starting to concern me.

Lord Tenebrous
05-13-2002, 02:15 PM
Most figures are sculpted at 1:1. EV-9D9 and 8D8 were sculpted 2:1, and the Micro line are 4:1.

I would accept a cut-back on the amount of figures released if they did 2:1 for all of them, just to get every little detail right. Especially on figures like Poggle and a new Jabba.

Rogue II
05-13-2002, 02:24 PM
I didn't think the details on the POTJ and Saga lines were all that bad. The thing that bothered me a little about them was the articulation (or lact thereof). I wish they were more consistant with that. It is hard to compare the Star Wars lines to anything else since there are so few other 4" figure lines. In fact, I can only think of 3 other 4" lines: GI Joe, CORPS!(I think that's the name of those generic looking GI Joes that are always real cheap), and the WW2/Vietnam soldiers.

CooLJoE
05-13-2002, 03:32 PM
I wouldn't say McFarlane doesn't have the same budget. Remember that McFarlane himself runs both the comic and toy company. They are basically one company. And with all the comics he made and sold, plus the demand for his toys, I would say he's got quite a large budget to use.

Also helps he a good artist and knows quality. Hasbro just makes toys. No artistry or quality in that company.

pthfnder89
05-13-2002, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by CooLJoE

Also helps he a good artist and knows quality. Hasbro just makes toys. No artistry or quality in that company.

He's also a controlling, immoral a--hole. But that's a story for another time ;)

Seriously though, another thing to consider is the size issue. Larger figure lines like those from Toy Biz and McFarlane are much easier to create accurately, because of their larger size. (McFarlanes smaller Shrek figs not withstanding)

Also, the plastic used by Hasbro very different than that used by McFarlane. The completely stiff plastic they use allows for much deeper detail, but as everyone knows, it tends to break into 8 peices if you look at it funny. That's ok for McFarlane or even Toy Biz's Lord Of The Rings figures, because they are almost exclusively for collectors.

But Hasbro has to make sure that the Star Wars figures can withstand a 5 year olds typical play, which can be anything from throwing them across the room, to dunking them in milk. :) And to give them credit, Star Wars figures are pretty dang sturdy.

I agree that as far as likeness goes, Hasbro is pretty hit and miss. Some are fantastic, and some are downright unrecognizable.:(

JediTricks
05-13-2002, 07:51 PM
2-ups are 4 times as large as the finished product, IIRC (If I Recall Correctly). Personally, I think Hasbro is better off seeing how the figure looks at its finished size - it gives them a better idea of what to expect. Also, one-ups and two-ups have to be sculpted at sub-standard quality because some intricate details can't be recreated onces shrunk down to final size.

DarthMaulSithLord
05-14-2002, 08:19 AM
And it would up the costs of the finished products.

Btw, the LOTR figs aren't fragile or anything. They are quite durable.

:)

pthfnder89
05-14-2002, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by DarthMaulSithLord
And it would up the costs of the finished products.

Btw, the LOTR figs aren't fragile or anything. They are quite durable.

:)

True, I bought a ton of them and they are pretty solid (I could give somebody a concussion with my Lurtz:)). But if they had to be shrunk down to 3 3/4 size that hard plastic would have to be thinner and thus a lot more brittle.

bigbarada
05-14-2002, 12:44 PM
I think JT is right. I've read before that many details get lost when reducing the size of the figures. Hasbro has stuck with 1:1 prototypes because they can get a better idea of the finished product and it speeds up the production process. It's worked great so far, why change it now? I really don't see how a McFarlane figure is any more or less detailed than say Dexter Jettster, Amanaman or Ephant Mon.

Darth Ovori
05-14-2002, 01:39 PM
bigbarada, please compare the detail Spawn series 19,20,21 and there is a HUGE differance...

Mcfarlane has redone the art of detailing and accuracy...

Take a look at thier Hockey line... The figures have 5-O clock shades molded!!!

DarthMaulSithLord
05-14-2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by pthfnder89

True, I bought a ton of them and they are pretty solid (I could give somebody a concussion with my Lurtz:)). But if they had to be shrunk down to 3 3/4 size that hard plastic would have to be thinner and thus a lot more brittle.

Yup, not to mention the Cave Troll. You can seriously hurt someone if you club them on the head with the Troll's hammer ramming action.

PS: i have all the LOTR ToyBiz toys except Newborn Lurtz, Orc Overseer, Gimli (have no use for him since the 2-pack version is way better), the new Bilbo and Aragorn.

:D