PDA

View Full Version : the new Ninja Turtles film (merged)



mylow thehutt
05-13-2002, 06:30 PM
:) who will be seeing the new CGI moive in decmber?

mylow thehutt
05-13-2002, 10:28 PM
guess i'm the onley one.

Wolfwood319
05-13-2002, 11:22 PM
I'm a huge Turtles fan, but I didn't know they had a new movie coming out. I'll definatley check it out though. Right now I'm reading the new comics series, it kicks.

bigbarada
05-14-2002, 12:45 AM
Never heard of this. Any pictures?

187-Maul
05-14-2002, 08:35 AM
didn't know there was a new movie coming out
when I was younger I was a huge turtles fan and had a LOT of figures of them (at least for a small kid) I alwas thought that when I get old I will display some of them but at some time I grew out of them and didn't find them that good anymore and I had another point of interest: Star Wars
gues I'll see the movie when it comes out on video

Brave Sir Robin
05-14-2002, 10:53 AM
I heard that John Woo was directing. I don't know whether or not I'll like it, since the original and very campy TMNT: The movie holds a very special place to my heart, but I'll definatley check it out.

pthfnder89
05-14-2002, 12:16 PM
I've heard about the CGI movie, but I'm pretty sure it isn't gonna be out in December. I could be wrong, but I haven't heard anything that says it will be out that soon.

El Chuxter
05-14-2002, 12:19 PM
I've heard about this too, but I thought it was still in the early stages of production. If it comes out in December, though, I'll definitely watch it.

mylow thehutt
05-14-2002, 03:26 PM
they said it won't be a funny moive like the old ones,it will be based on the comix,witch i heard is very dark and violent.there will aslo be a new series on T.V.

Beast
05-14-2002, 03:48 PM
I'm intrested, but only if it follows the original black and white Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird comic books. It was dark, violent, and the turtles were not all goody two shoes like they are in the cartoon or original movies. They were known to even drink beer in those days.

I did like the first few seasons of the cartoon, until they made it silly as hell. And they better include the charecter of Krang this time, since he did appear in te original comics, though in a slightly different manor. Here is more info: http://www.countingdown.com/movies/tmnt :).

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

187-Maul
05-14-2002, 04:08 PM
does anyone remember the comic where they timetravelled and found hitlers brain and stuff and future-don wore that eyepatch and that long cloak? those were the cool times of the comic
maybe I can scan in some pics (when that darn presto pagemanager wotks again!) for the ones who don't know what I mean

master jedi
05-14-2002, 06:28 PM
I thought this movie wasn't coming out 'til next year.

Thumb Wars
07-24-2002, 10:00 PM
a friend of mine said he heard about a new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie in the works, and i was wondering if this is true or if he's blowing smoke up my shell????

Beast
07-24-2002, 10:06 PM
Nope Thumb Wars, It's true. The movie will be totally CGI, and will not continue the continuity that has been established by the cartoon series, live action movies, or live action series. It's going to be faithful to the original Eastman & Laird comic series. The Turtles were more hard-edged in that comic series. It was quite violent, and the Turtles often drank beer. I have seen some CGI tests from the new movie, let me see if I can dig them up. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

darthvyn
07-24-2002, 10:17 PM
welp, here's some info on it... take it all with some grains of salt, but it looks like john woo is definitely attached to it somehow. not definite as director, though...

it looks like those digital sketches were made BEFORE talk of a movie, in hopes of making a cg cartoon show. but, the same fx house that made the cg cartoon show projects is on hand for this movie...


http://www.cinecon.com/movies.php3?m=tmnt

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/301029p1.html

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news9/010622.htm (it's the second white paragraph.)

http://www.dtheatre.com/read.php?sid=1451

Thumb Wars
07-24-2002, 10:18 PM
YEA!!!!!!! i thought he was pulling my turtle leg, but its true!!! so it will more follow the comics?? that's good, because i thought it kinda hit the toliet when it became a "kiddie" item. i really did not like the cartoons, the first movie was good, the second was so-so, and after the third, i stopped watching!!

Beast
07-24-2002, 10:19 PM
Here you go, Thumb Wars. I have three links for you. One is to the still pictures from the TMNT CGI Test Movie. The second is where you can download the CGI Test Movie. And the Third is to the original TMNT #1 Black and White Comic Book. These pictures are actually from the upcoming TV series, but they are using the same CGI house for the movie, from what I understand. :)

TMNT CGI TV Pilot Still Images (http://www.ninjaturtles.com/cgitmnt/cgi.html)

TMNT CGI TV Pilot Clips (http://www.ninjaturtles.com/html/cgipilot.htm)

TMNT #1 B&W Comic Book (http://www.ninjaturtles.com/comics/mirage/one/pg01.htm)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Eternal Padawan
07-24-2002, 11:16 PM
Did somebody mention Turtles?


ROLLO!

Lman316
07-24-2002, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Nope Thumb Wars, It's true. The movie will be totally CGI, and will not continue the continuity that has been established by the cartoon series, live action movies, or live action series.

Cartoon: check. Live action movies: check. Live action series? Now, it might just be me, but I really thought I would have known about this. There was a live action TMNT live action television series?
Anyone want to clarify, because I thought myself a BIG Turtles fan, and again, I really thought I would have known about this.

I could go for another movie, and I would really like to see it as dark as the comics. I had only read one b&w Turtles comic, something about an alien and a little girl (I'll have to dig it out and read it again), but I think it could do really well. The other Turtles movies were funny and good for what they were, but let's face it, they were for kids. I want to see some serious, adult humor, and some serious fighting.
I would also like to see a return to the (I'm pretty sure anyway), original story line that Splinter was once a man and was changed into a rat because that's what he spent all his time with. I don't know if that's how the comic went too, but I think it works out better that way.

End...

Beast
07-24-2002, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Lman316
Cartoon: check. Live action movies: check. Live action series? Now, it might just be me, but I really thought I would have known about this. There was a live action TMNT live action television series? Anyone want to clarify, because I thought myself a BIG Turtles fan, and again, I really thought I would have known about this.
The live action TV series was made by Saban, and was similar to Power Rangers. It was absolutly horrid, and they added a 5th turtle that Splinter missed when he was gathering up the other 4. The 5th was a female, and was trained by some mystical kung-fu type of guy. He named her, "Mona Lisa". Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird dispise her, and said she would not become a part of actual TMNT continuity. Trust me, It sucked on toast. Thank the gods it flopped and was cancelled. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Thumb Wars
07-24-2002, 11:29 PM
thank you for the info and links guys. those screen shots i understand are early shots, but it looks a little .........cartoony to me. i hope it gets darker and grittier like the comics then. but thanks again!

Lman316
07-24-2002, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

The live action TV series was made by Saban, and was similar to Power Rangers. It was absolutly horrid, and they added a 5th turtle that Splinter missed when he was gathering up the other 4. The 5th was a female, and was trained by some mystical kung-fu type of guy. He named her, "Mona Lisa". Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird dispise her, and said she would not become a part of actual TMNT continuity. Trust me, It sucked on toast. Thank god it flopped and was cancelled. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I just checked the official site (looking for stuff on the movie), and I'm seeing stuff about this live action series. Wow, this is really racking my brains, because this seems vaguely familiar.
I seem to remember that female character, Venus, and I listened to the theme song, and that sounds really familiar.
Crap. Maybe it was so bad that I just blocked it out? This is really gonna haunt me until I can remember... Or maybe it's better that I don't?

End...:crazed:

Beast
07-24-2002, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Lman316
I just checked the official site (looking for stuff on the movie), and I'm seeing stuff about this live action series. Wow, this is really racking my brains, because this seems vaguely familiar.
I seem to remember that female character, Venus, and I listened to the theme song, and that sounds really familiar.
Crap. Maybe it was so bad that I just blocked it out? This is really gonna haunt me until I can remember... Or maybe it's better that I don't? End...:crazed:
Crap you're right, I made a mistake. It's not Mona Lisa, that was another charecter I believe that was a Playmates action figure creation. Yes, It was Venus DeMilo. Ugh, she's so horrid I actually forgot her name. Thanks for kicking me in the head and reminding me. Trust me, it's better you don't remember. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
07-24-2002, 11:43 PM
Actually... IIRC, the female Turtle's name was Shinobi. I remember that crystal clearly because in a chat room one time there was a guy who was going by the name Shinobi and someone started asking if it was because of the female turtle. :D

I dunno about a CGI Turtles, I grew up with the cartoon series and live-action movies.... Didn't really like the live-action series, too bland, plus 30 minutes is just too short...

Lman316
07-24-2002, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
Actually... IIRC, the female Turtle's name was Shinobi. I remember that crystal clearly because in a chat room one time there was a guy who was going by the name Shinobi and someone started asking if it was because of the female turtle. :D

I dunno about a CGI Turtles, I grew up with the cartoon series and live-action movies.... Didn't really like the live-action series, too bland, plus 30 minutes is just too short...

I have heard the name Shinobi too, but I don't know where I've heard it. But, her name was Venus, as it says on her figures package, and on the television show summaries:


As the four Turtles stand helpless over the comatose body of Splinter, a shadowy figure enters their sewer headquarters and deftly strikes down each of the mutant ninjas... before introducing herself as Mei Pieh Chi, student of Chung I. Quickly making herself an ally of our heroes, Mei is given the nickname Venus de Milo.

Venus Figure... (http://www.ninjaturtles.com/toys/1997/flagevenus.htm)

Edit in: BTW, what does IIRC mean? I've seen it a few times before...

Beast
07-24-2002, 11:59 PM
IIRC= If I Recall Correctly. That is, IIRC. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

darthvyn
07-25-2002, 12:38 AM
whoopps, looks like it's thread merging time....


WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

JediTricks
07-25-2002, 12:51 AM
Bleah, even the Playmates action figure line based on Saban's abomination was terrible. The figures were rubber-based for springy limber action, but just as Playmate's Ronin Warriors with "Power Coil" spring action bombed, so too did this weak crap. BTW, the first Venus fig was pretty rare for a while till people realized how crappy the show and the character were.

darthvyn
07-25-2002, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Bleah, even the Playmates action figure line based on Saban's abomination was terrible. The figures were rubber-based for springy limber action, but just as Playmate's Ronin Warriors with "Power Coil" spring action bombed, so too did this weak crap. BTW, the first Venus fig was pretty rare for a while till people realized how crappy the show and the character were.

yeah, it's only rare if anyone actually wants it... lol

as long as a tmnt movie is dark like the comic, and they DON'T have different colored bandanas, then this movie should be cool. they probably will have different colors, though...


weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Beast
07-25-2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by darthvyn
as long as a tmnt movie is dark like the comic, and they DON'T have different colored bandanas, then this movie should be cool. they probably will have different colors, though...
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Actually Eastman and Laird were originally against the colored bandanas, but it grew on them. That has become an accepted part of TMNT. It's best to keep them, IMHO. After all they have existed longer with them, then without.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

El Chuxter
07-25-2002, 12:34 PM
As long as it doesn't go the direction of the brief Image comic. Ye gods, that was bad! Donatello had to have a robotic suit to move, Leonardo was missing an arm, and Raphael was missing an eye and decided to wear the Shredder's armor! Oh, and Michaelangelo was practically engaged to Horridus from Erik Larsen's Freak Force comic book.

I enjoyed the cartoon, for the most part, and the Archie comic series was surprisingly good. But the first few years of the Mirage comic and the first flick reign supreme.

And we're getting TMNT 2 and 3 on DVD soon! Let's all pray for the speedy release of the cartoon series. (C'mon, you know you all loved it!)

darthvyn
07-25-2002, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

Actually Eastman and Laird were originally against the colored bandanas, but it grew on them. That has become an accepted part of TMNT. It's best to keep them, IMHO. After all they have existed longer with them, then without.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

yeah, well that's why i said they probably would. it would help to identify the characters, instead of giving them <gasp!> different facial features and/or characterizations!

it's true that there's more recognition among the general populace with the mulicolored bandanas. oh, well.

Beast
07-25-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
And we're getting TMNT 2 and 3 on DVD soon! Let's all pray for the speedy release of the cartoon series. (C'mon, you know you all loved it!)
I wish they would hold off on the release of TMNT 2 and 3 and give them some special edition features. Making of featurettes, Audio Commentary, etc. Oh well, you know how the DVD industry is, they will release these barebones and then double dip them in the future.

As for the cartoon series, I have it on very good authority that they are preparing the series for DVD release. Hopefully in season boxsets and not some horrid "Best Of" release. I'll keep you updated when I learn more. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

El Chuxter
07-25-2002, 01:35 PM
I used to wait on bare-bones DVD's, hoping for eventual SE releases, but I've realized that there are some movies that, no matter how they deserve it, will never get SE treatment. And I think the TMNT sequels are two examples. I'd love to at least get a fully-loaded TMNT 1 DVD, but I don't see that happening, either. :(

I liked #2, though #1 was far superior. #3 I'll probably get just to round out the set. It was okay.

I'm hoping for loaded full-season boxes of the cartoon. But I could go for a disc only containing the The Shredder Gets Splintered episode so I can hear "There's still some cheese left on this shredder. . . shredder. . . shredder" over and over in digital-quality surround sound. :crazed:

Off subject a tad, but since you're the guru of DVD knowledge, have you perchance heard anything about the Dinosaurs TV series? Thinking of the animatronic costumes from the TMNT films got me to thinking about how awesome that show was.

Beast
07-25-2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
I'm hoping for loaded full-season boxes of the cartoon. But I could go for a disc only containing the The Shredder Gets Splintered episode so I can hear "There's still some cheese left on this shredder. . . shredder. . . shredder" over and over in digital-quality surround sound. :crazed:

Off subject a tad, but since you're the guru of DVD knowledge, have you perchance heard anything about the Dinosaurs TV series? Thinking of the animatronic costumes from the TMNT films got me to thinking about how awesome that show was.
I love that episode. Actually I loved the cartoon series alot, well...before they ruined it on Saturday Mornings. I used to have most of the episodes recorded on VHS, but you know..tapes wear out after you watch them so many times. :(

I haven't heard anything about Dinosaurs getting a DVD release. But it's not out of the question. Disney owns the property, and they are going to start doing TV releases on DVD. They are planning to release Gargoyles next year, so if it sells well I see the Mouse opening the flood gates. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
07-25-2002, 02:34 PM
I was able to dig this up at DVDToons.com:

Ninja Tutles Are Coming
Reported by: anthony on July 23 2002
Story posted at: 01:11pm cst

A few days ago someone sent me an e-mail stating that their would be a week long Ninja Tutles campaign, which would include someone posting different forms of contacting Artisan at various message boards.

Well, we never did join the campaign, but it did encourage us to contact Artisan. The Publicity Assistant at Artisan Home Entertainment was kind enough to look into our inquiry and report that a DVD is planned for 2003. Right now there are no details, but at least we know they are coming.

If you still wish to write to Artisan, here is their mailing info:

Artisan Entertainment
2700 Colorado Avenue, 2nd Floor
Santa Monica, CA 90404

Remember, Artisan is the one responsible for those weird packages like, Stargate (pyramid case) and Total Recall (mars case). Maybe the turtles DVD will come in a Turtle Shell case :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
07-26-2002, 04:07 AM
Darthvyn, I hate to say this, but I don't think most audiences will be able to differentiate between the 4 different turtles without colored bandanas.

Chux, I'm surprised to hear the Archie Comics version was good. I've been a reader of Archie comics forever, but when I saw their ads in the comics about TMNT joining their ranks, I scoffed hard. I figured that the Sonic comic line was enough action for clean-cut Archie (not counting those awful RC Racers and Strange Mysteries sidetrips).

darthvyn
07-26-2002, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Darthvyn, I hate to say this, but I don't think most audiences will be able to differentiate between the 4 different turtles without colored bandanas.

i know, like i said, more general populace recognition... it's just that it's like an easy way out, when you could make four different looking characters, instead of four different looking costumes (or in this case, color bandanas.) but it's kind of in tune with the original idea of the book, making fun of all the comic heroes that look all the same, just with a different gun or shoulder-pad and that constitutes a different character. the book originally was a toungue in cheek look at the comics of the day, where every new and "cool" character was a teenager, mutant, ninja or a combination of any or all of the above. they just threw in turtles to make it that much funnier.

if they had different facial features, different heights, shades of green, attitudes, voices - if they were differentiated by other features rather than the color of their bandana, it's totally do-able. just probably not gonna happen.



if they put me in charge of character design... hmmmm...


WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

JediTricks
07-27-2002, 12:23 AM
One other issue Darthvyn... marketability. Studios don't make movies like this unless something "toyetic" can be extracted, and if all the turtles look the same, no matter how they act they aren't gonna sell. In a way, that issue is all Lucas' fault... but if it weren't for that, we wouldn't be here on this forum. :D

Exhaust Port
07-27-2002, 10:33 AM
It never was a problem reading the original comic to figure out which turtle was which character. That was in total B&W and no one complained.

2 big give aways on the turtle characters in a movie would be their weapons and voices. Why would a ninja be wearing an orange bandana anyway?

El Chuxter
07-27-2002, 07:41 PM
I think they had very slightly different skin tones on the toys, didn't they?

JediTricks
07-28-2002, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by Exhaust Port
It never was a problem reading the original comic to figure out which turtle was which character. That was in total B&W and no one complained. The original comic wasn't made on a large budget paid for by a movie studio that made unreasonable demands and was run by the most foolish of potential audience-members.


Chux, on the toys, they had the different color bandanas, different sculpts on their faces, slightly different base colors (I think only Don was actually noticably different), and of course different weapons (beyond the matching set of lesser weapons and accessories and accessory rack).

rynobot
07-30-2002, 01:41 AM
The movie will rock aslong as the fights are realisticly done. I watch TMNT2 on one of the movie channels and the fights are horrible and stupid.

Exhaust Port
07-30-2002, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
The original comic wasn't made on a large budget paid for by a movie studio that made unreasonable demands and was run by the most foolish of potential audience-members.

And this is why all the other TMNT movies suck.

Capitan_Moroni
07-30-2002, 12:36 PM
Does anybody know of a channel that currently syndicates the cartoon series? Gosh I miss that show. That along with Mighty Max.

Beast
07-30-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Capitan_Moroni
Does anybody know of a channel that currently syndicates the cartoon series? Gosh I miss that show. That along with Mighty Max.
None that I know of, I think it's currently to expensive a property for them to show, just like He-Man. But they are preparing to start releasing the series on DVD next year. The first disc is supposed to be the original first test season that consisted of 5 episodes. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

hango fett
07-30-2002, 12:59 PM
sounds alright...i would prefer live action turtles though...
h.