PDA

View Full Version : Several AOTC figures reviewed. (spoilers)

DeadEye
05-13-2002, 07:37 PM
I'm going to review all the AOTC figures I currently have:

-Count Dooku (Dark Lord)
Awesome figure. Good sculpt, lots of detail, great likeness. The gimmick isn't that bad, as its slashing action is pretty nice. The second lightsaber is good, although it's simply a more detailed version of the one that comes with HD Anakin. The Sidious hologram is nice too. My main complaint with this figure is its cape, which while very detailed, absolutely will not stay on. I had to glue it on immediately.
The figure gets an A-

-Anakin Skywalker (Hangar Duel)
Another awesome figure. Fantastic likeness, and a good outfit. Slashing with two lightsabers never gets old. But of course, there's the problem everyone has, and that's that the removeable arm is always falling off. I also don't like that the lightsaber action is spinning. I'd rather have it slashing.
The figure gets a B+

-Jango Fett (Kamino Escape)
Yet another awesome figure. A lot of articulation, features, and play value. The working holsters are a plus, as are his poseable elbows. The grappling hook is wonderful (I'm glad they didn't do it like the fireball on FB Jango) and the jetpack is nice enough. I also love the removeable helmet.
The figure gets an A+

-Jango Fett (Final Battle)
Pretty nice, as you get a second type of jetpack. The launching flame on the left arm is annoying, and hence the left arm can't move. But the right arm can, and both wrists are articulated. I also love the bendable knees. The removeable head is awesome (I decapitate him every time he fights a Jedi) and the magnet is thankfully stronger than that on HD Anakin. The only other drawback is that the holsters don't work on this one. Oh, well. Can't have your gundark and eat it too.
The figure gets an A

-Geonosian Warrior
A decent enough figure. I always pretend HD Anakin is hacking his way through swarms of these guys. I have gotten this figure to stand on numerous occasions. I also use the electro effect as Force lightning for Count Dooku. :D And I only recently discovered that the wings are ball-jointed. There's nothing wrong with this figure, but it lacks the oomph of the ones above.
The figure gets a B

-Captain Typho
Large and tall, imposing over the other figures. Right elbow can bend, and the blaster can hook to his belt. Likeness is dead-on. Static pose.
The figure gets a B-

-Obi-Wan Kenobi (Coruscant Chase)
A wonderful figure. I always liked Obi-Wan, and this figure is no exception. I'd much rather have the Jedi Starfighter Pilot version (despite the stupid headband) because it has a two-handed lightsaber grip. Obi-Wan's Force action is far stronger than HD Anakin's. The lightsaber is wonderfully detailed, and Obi-Wan can really get a death grip on that assassin droid. Unfortunately, his waist is awfully loose unless his arms are down, and his silly karate-chop arm and lack of two-handed lightsaber grip deducts some points.
The figure gets a B

jblodgett
05-13-2002, 08:26 PM
I like the Dooku figure as well. His right wrist is articulated, so he can hold his awesome lightsaber in multiple poses. His left hand has a magnet in it, but his hand is so closed that it is impossible for him to "force attract" anything into it. Like others, the cape is simply way too flimsy. Use his slashing attack and the cape is gone. I wish they had devised some type of chain or something so the cape would actually go around Dooku's neck. Also- is it just me or does Dooku look HUGE?

I like Anakin HD as well. His gimmick is, well, a gimmick. It isn't too impressive. The fact that you can slash his arm off is completely awesome and if you put him and Dooku together Dooku is made perfectly to slash the arm off. My biggest complaint with HD ANakin is his inability to stand. His feet are designed to be spread apart- but the skirt he is wearing prevents them from spreading far enough. Luckily, a stand takes care of that perfectly.

Kamino Escape Jango is the best figure of the E2 line so far.

I like the Arena Jango too- the legs are a bit of a problem- again having a stand works miracles. I actually like his fireball flamethrower thing. What I don't like is how he has to hold the gun in his left hand all limp wristed. Some holsters would have made this figure even better.

The Bespin Vader is OK. You either have to pose him with his right hand up and his left down, or with his left arm up and his right down. If you put both up at the same time he looks like some sort of sleep walker or something. The slashing attack is cool- but on my figure it is impossible to push the button without knocking his cape off. There have been much better Vaders, and much worse.

Bespin Luke is grrrreat! I like everything about him except for THREE things. #1-- his holster is way too little for that big gun. On mine, he basically puts the barrel of his blaster into the holster and hopes it stays put. #2-- his lightsaber is atrocious!! It isn't even close! Do like I did- take the blue lightsaber that came with HD Anakin and give it to Bespin Luke. Then take the ugly pipe lightsaber that came with Bespin Luke and give it to HD Anakin. #3-- he is a little bit TOO dirty. He almost looks like he is wearing camoflage gear!

DeadEye
05-13-2002, 08:35 PM
Dooku has a magnet? I didn't know that.

And Dooku IS big...he's as tall as Qui-Gon. TALL.
And I can't believe I forgot to mention Dooku's articulated wrist.

It's somewhat ironic that Kamino Escape Jango, a very common figure, is better than Dooku, who is rare. :crazed:

figrin bran
05-14-2002, 02:36 AM
Is Luminara's left arm supposed to be removable? b/c with just a bit of force (no pun intended), i pulled it right out of mine. it's not magnetized but rather a peg like the potf2 bespin luke.

JEDIpartner
05-14-2002, 09:10 AM
No... the arm should not have been removed. What are you doing man? Do you think you are a mad Wookiee????

Darth Evil
05-14-2002, 02:24 PM
Argh, I want Dooku. Man, what are you doing, pulling Luminara's arm off? You must be a mad Wookiee!

mark2d2
05-14-2002, 03:28 PM
Jango (Kamino Escape) totally rocks. I didn't even want this guy. I only bought him out of desperation one day . . . and now he's my favorite figure. Definitely the best ATOC figure . . .

figrin bran
05-14-2002, 05:13 PM
ha ha! no mad wookiee here and i wasn't trying to pull off luminara's arm. actually i was moving the arm upwards and then it came out without any excessive force.

2-1B
05-14-2002, 08:57 PM
:( Poor Typho, the lowest rated of the bunch.

Deadeye, do you have problems standing your Dooku figure? I've been hearing a lot of that lately. Mine will stand but it's pretty delicate . . . so onto a figure stand he went. :)

DeadEye
05-15-2002, 04:10 PM
I can stand all my figures, even the Geonosian.

DeadEye
05-27-2002, 09:26 AM
UPDATE:

Mace Windu: Geonosian Rescue-

I looked everywhere for this figure. He has a good likeness, despite the screaming face. He can't stand. I can actually get the slashing action to work without the saber flying from his hand--it just takes some work. However, the lack of articulated wrists makes it difficult for him to hold his saber in 2 hands.
The figure gets a B-

gibbspaulus
05-28-2002, 04:01 AM
'Rescue Me! Mace' sucks majorly. His arm looks like it's been broken and he WILL NOT STAND!!!!! So null points to hasbro there!

I really like my Bespin Luke - although he's hanging off of the skiff rails at the moment as I had nowere else to put him!!!!

The Genosian looks pretty cool, and can be put into great poses wrestling with Padme. Well, it looks like they're waltzing actually!

However, I am still so excited over my new Slave 1. This toy is so cool (even without the old cargobay feature). It looks cool, it's really playable, and it sh#ts on command! I made a very nice temporary diorama on my coffee table with coruscant Obi (in a hand me down cloak) and Sneak Jango.

DeadEye
06-15-2002, 03:59 PM
Here we go...

Clone Trooper: A great figure. Superior to the preview clonetrooper in every way, except that I'd rather have a white clone than a red one. It has tons of articulation, although despite the 14 joints there's only about two ways he can hold his rifle.
The figure gets an A-

Super Battle Droid: Another great figure. The clonetrooper's nemesis. My only quarrel is that its arms are vertical--so when the droid raises its right arm to shoot, its blaster hand has its palm facing the side. It the movie, the droids held their arms out with their palms facing the ground. Good for army builders. A little more articulation than I thought it would have. The exploding feature works rather well, and the multiple types of arms and torsos add to its play value. As an added plus, this great figure is extremely easy to find.
The figure gets an A-

Endor Rebel Soldier: Absolutely fantastic. Miles ahead of what I thought it would be. 10 points of articulation make this guy a winner, and the removeable helmet and backpack allow you to have 3 different-looking guys if you have three of them. :D I just wish they'd release the second version, as the Tom Green goatee looks somewhat stupid.
The figure gets a B+

Supreme Chancellor Palpatine: A little better than I thought he'd be, although he can't do much. He has 7 points of articulation, but that's detracting from the "standard six" -- his legs and waist are immobile, but you can move his elbows and wrists--which makes him better than the other salt shaker, the POTF2 Royal Guard. He has a fantastic likeness-- but isn't Palpatine a little old to still be going through acne breakouts? :rolleyes:
The figure gets a B-

Bespin Darth Vader: Probably in the top 5 best Vader figures. The top 5, of course, are this one, the removeable helmet version, Dagobah, Emperor's Wrath, and the Flashback Photo version. (The Toyfair version was just a repainted and slightly reposed version of Vader from the Final Duel 3-pack; and on him the arms can move only at the shoulders, unlike the 5 best Vaders.) The slashing action is far better than I expected it to be. He can hold the lightsaber in either hand, (the open left hand has a magnet) and the saber looks nice. This is the best recreation of Vader's costume so far. He has 8 points of articulation, although the waist only bends when he slashes. And I sought him and Luke for a very long time, and I was most pleased that neither one disappointed me when I finally found them.
The figure gets an A

Bespin Luke Skywalker: The best figure in the Saga line so far. It has 2-handed lightsaber grip (which I adore), 14 points of articulation, lightsaber slashing action, a good saber, a blaster and working holster, the best likeness of Mark Hamill yet, a bacta tourniquet, and the weather vane. The sheer volume of accessories is far beyond what any other Saga figure has right now. I was fortunate enough to get the version with the simple peg hand rather than the magnet hand, so his hand never flies out when the saber slashes. And the best part of all is that this figure only cost me $4.77!
The figure gets an A+

Deluxe Anakin Skywalker: Somewhat disappointing. The Anakin figure is practically useless, although his likeness is sharp. The lightsabers are nice but the blades are stuck to their hilts. His only true articulation is his legs and his wrists. His arms can only move horizontally, and only then when he's slashing. The Geonosian is fun to cut apart but he's always coming apart except when I want him to come apart! Whenever Annie slashes him he does nothing but fall over, and he breaks apart when he hits the ground.
The figure gets a C

Deluxe Nexu: Easily the best of the deluxe figures so far. Lots of fun. Swiveling head, poseable legs, bendy tail, and 4 different sounds, and ironically enough, a better likeness than any of the humans have! Here, kitty kitty kitty.... :happy: This figure has it all. You get a lot of bang for your buck. The only thing I wish it had was more poseable legs (bending knees) but since even the humans don't have it half the time, it's not a big deal.
The figure gets an A+

CrossWizard
06-15-2002, 04:08 PM
Hey Deadeye have you gotten the Starfighter Pilot Obi Wan yet? if so or when you do try to post a detailed review please.

DeadEye
06-15-2002, 04:13 PM
I will! The only figures i don't have now are Obi-Wan Pilot and Chewie. I will review the moment I get them.

Darth Evil
06-16-2002, 07:57 AM
That Geonosian Rescue Mace sounds terrible, even though I have yet to see one. A resculpt is in order! I found that Dooku's cape doesn't fall off that easily, I must've gotten lucky. I can't wait to find Supreme Chancellor Palpatine, he sounds pretty good.

DeadEye
06-16-2002, 08:33 AM
Yeah. I like him better than the TPM Palpatine.

DeadEye
06-30-2002, 06:48 PM
Royal Guard (Coruscant Security): A fantastic figure. I suppose you can't really count off for likeness on a figure such as this...:D His articulation isn't superb but above average. It gets the job done. Give the lightning effect to Count Hertius Dooku. This figure is superior to the POTF2 salt shaker in every way...there's just nothing great about it.
The figure gets a B

Darth Evil
07-01-2002, 02:09 PM
I agree, the new Royal Guard is very nice, but not amazing. He does look great standing next to Supreme Chancellor Palpatine, whom I recently found.

DeadEye
07-01-2002, 02:18 PM
I agree! :)

DeadEye
07-07-2002, 10:12 AM
-Chewbacca (Cloud City Escape)
A fantastic figure. I found a solitary one at Wal-Mart. He looms over the other figures. Nine points of articulation are a plus, and the E11 blaster rifle is the best one yet. The C3PO has an INTENSE light, and when I put the head in, it takes two minutes for the light to turn off. My only qualms are that Chewie has no waist articulation, and his head moves up and down but not horizontally. The best Chewie of them all.
The figure gets an A+

-Obi-Wan Kenobi (Jedi Starfighter Pilot)
I've waited for this figure for 4 months ever since seeing the first shots of him in March. To tell the truth, I'm a little disappointed. He has no wrist articulation, and his 2-handed grip sucks because his left hand only grips the saber by a magnet. So his grip is only as good as his magnet, and unfortunately I got a weak one. We still have not gotten a good 3 3/4" Obi-Wan. At least he has a decent likeness. But he looks great in the cockpit of the Jedi starfighter--keep him there.
The figure gets a B-

-Jedi Starfighter
I've seen this vehicle everywhere and finally got one today. It's sleek and sexy, and its action feature works well. It's loads of fun to play with, although it's somewhat useless without the Slave I and doesn't do much.
The vehicle gets an A-

hango fett
07-07-2002, 10:27 AM
could i give some reviews? i can give reviews of all the ones i opened............................i'll post it later after i look at all my figs and evaluate them...
peacey
hango

DeadEye
07-07-2002, 11:47 AM
Go ahead, but try to put things in your reviews that I didn't mention--who wants to read the same things about the same figures twice? :D

hango fett
07-07-2002, 12:23 PM
ok....you haven't done yoda, so i give him a A- for the simple fact that he doesn't have a good lightsaber pose....and can't fight dooku to well...
hango

DeadEye
07-07-2002, 12:49 PM
My birthday is in 1 week, and I'll add several new figures, including Yoda.

hango fett
07-07-2002, 01:51 PM
happy early b-day then! going to be 18? wow! i'll be 16 in october....anywho...in one week i can add several new ones too, maybe even a loose TA anikan if we get lucky on ebay!
hango

DeadEye
07-07-2002, 02:54 PM
I thought that Anakin wasn't coming out until September.

hango fett
07-07-2002, 09:33 PM
nope, it's july/august. get with the times! :mad: :D
hango

DeadEye
07-07-2002, 09:57 PM
Well, with my luck, I won't find it until January next year. :p

pthfnder89
07-08-2002, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by DeadEye
[B-Obi-Wan Kenobi (Jedi Starfighter Pilot)
...To tell the truth, I'm a little disappointed. He has no wrist articulation...
[/B]

Do you mean no WAIST articulation DeadEye? Because both of his wrists are articulated, but not his waist.

I was a little disappointed by this figure, partly because I've been waiting for him since March, like you. But overall I still like him. His robe is very nice and the likeness isn't all that bad; his head is just mucked up unforunately because of the headset.

His gimmick simply DOES NOT WORK though. This doesn't really bother me since I don't want it anyway, but I'm amazed at how poorly constructed the slashing action is.

DeadEye
07-08-2002, 11:29 AM
Whoops!!! You're right, I meant he has no waist articulation!

Yeah, his gimmick sucks, and worst of all, you can't fit him in the Jedi starfighter with his robe on--and in the movie, he had his robe on every time he was in the cockpit! :frus:

pthfnder89
07-08-2002, 01:08 PM
Whoops!!! You're right, I meant he has no waist articulation!

Yeah, his gimmick sucks, and worst of all, you can't fit him in the Jedi starfighter with his robe on--and in the movie, he had his robe on every time he was in the cockpit! :frus:

Yeah. Considering that was the whole POINT of giving him a fabric robe it's kind of ridiculous that he still won't fit with it one.:rolleyes:

DeadEye
07-08-2002, 02:40 PM
Exactly! It's stupid! Now we need an Obi-Wan: Kamino, with robe, two-handed lightsaber grip for fighting Jango, and the ability to sit in the Jedi starfighter! Maybe his gimmick would be "flying Jedi jump kick" or something. :rolleyes:

pthfnder89
07-09-2002, 10:13 AM
Exactly! It's stupid! Now we need an Obi-Wan: Kamino, with robe, two-handed lightsaber grip for fighting Jango, and the ability to sit in the Jedi starfighter! Maybe his gimmick would be "flying Jedi jump kick" or something. :rolleyes:

Well, with TA Anakins kicking gimmick we're halfway there...:D

DeadEye
07-09-2002, 12:01 PM
Yeah. They'll just combine that with the Force-flipping action on the deluxe figures. :p

DeadEye
07-16-2002, 01:36 PM
I got lots of new figures on my birthday Sunday, so here they are:

-Battle Droid (Arena Battle): I actually like this figure. He's the only normal battle droid that has an action type of pose. The head stays on mine just fine, and the lack of knee articulation doesn't really bother me. I just need 999 more! :D
The figure gets an A

-Zam Wesell (Bounty Hunter): A mighty fine figure. Jango's accomplice! :) 12 points of articulation, a strong arm magnet, good likeness, a working holster, and a gimmick that works make this Clawdite a winner.
The figure gets an A+

-Yoda (Jedi Master): I love this little guy! His lightsaber is awesome, and I let him duel my Count Dooku figure for hours! Give Yoda the blue thingy he comes with and give Dooku the lightning from the Royal Guard to show Dooku and Yoda blasting lightning at each other--and use the electro effect from the Geonosian Warrior to represent the bit that streams onto a wall and explodes! :D
The figure gets an A+

-Shaak Ti (Jedi Master): A big disappointment, although she's the only figure I have besides Bespin Luke and Kit Fisto that has a working two-handed saber grip. She's the ultimate statue, with a paltry three points of articulation. Bascially useless.
The figure gets an F- :p

-Nikto (Jedi Knight): A little better. Decent articulation and a good action pose make this guy superb for fighting in the background.
The figure gets a B

-Saesee Tiin (Jedi Master): He's okay. He can barely hold his lightsaber at all, and the Force effect is absolutely ridiculous! But he has ball-jointed arms, which give him an edge.
The figure gets a B

-Plo Koon (Jedi Master): Awesome! He has a death grip on his lightsaber and 8 points of articulation. The best of the gimmick-free generic Jedi.
The figure gets an A

-Kit Fisto (Jedi Master): Wonderful. The best of the gimmick-induced generic Jedi. A great two-handed grip and a slashing gimmick that has no button poking out of his rear. And his right hand, although it has Force action, can also grip the saber normally with its fingers. A real winner. Why the hell can't Hasbro make all the Jedi this good?
The figure gets an A+

-Djas Puhr (Alien Bounty Hunter): Not much to say about him. He's good if you need spare blast effects. He has two pistols and working holsters. A good addition if you want a bunch of alien thugs and scum. :D
The figure gets a B

-Massiff: Not all that bad. The lizard's only articulation is its jaw, but it's still fun to play with! :D And the Geonosian is better than the other two out right now (the winged one and the deluxe chopped one) so it's great. You get two figures, so how can you lose?
The figure gets an A-

-Han Solo (Endor Raid): He's okay. I got the white droid caller version. The gimmick is horrible--sure, it works fine, but it just looks dumb when he isn't using the quick-draw. His pistol is the nicest rendition of it I've seen yet. Likeness is good, although his face is too thin. The vest is exactly the same as the jacket on the Bespin Capture Han, only it's painted a little darker and the sleeves are cut off.
The figure gets a B-

-12 inch Jango Fett: The big, bad head honcho. A good 12 incher, although I don't think it's the best damn thing since sliced bread, although others think that. His pistols always fall out of his holsters, and his shin plates don't conform to his legs like they do on the pictures--they stay pinched tight and rest above his pants without wrapping around them. But otherwise he's good, and has plenty of accessories. But where do you put the fibercord whip?
The figure gets an A-