PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro did a really good job this time!

Tycho
05-13-2002, 09:58 PM
This changes the topic slightly, but I just went through my E2 comic book.

Hasbro did a great job of getting out all the characters kids will want to play with!

Rather than Episode One's wave by wave releases, including getting an army builder like the Gungan Warrior or Security Droid out years later (in POTJ), Hasbro got all the E2 necessary out. 27 figures are COMMON now before the movie!!!

This strategy makes sense. They should sell through their early product.

What's actually left from Episode 2?

Mostly collector driven figures (I'll list in a second) and rehashes of the hero characters (but good ones).

There's:

Beru Whitesun
Owen Lars
Clieg Lars

Some of the Separatists (politicians kids will be less interested in)

Poggle the Lesser (though he might have worked earlier)
Nute Gunray
Wat Tambler
some of the other alien Separatists

Senators:

Wookiee (hopefully)
Bail Organa
Palpatine's aide Sly Moore
a few other Senators they could do

Various background aliens (more collector driven - that I want though!)

Interestingly enough, the biggest mistake I see is the lack of Padme in all her outfits.

With the love theme in this movie, and the possible appeal to a large young lady audience, wouldn't Hasbro be wise to have more 'glamorous' Padme product available to the girls?

This time around I think the marketing strategy that failed in this area for E1, would succeed for Clones. Plus, I'd like those Padme figures. And she needs nealry 20 of them! (not counting 5 left from E1 - Ceremony, Pre-Senate, Post-Senate, Purple Return, and handmaiden - until that last one gets a confirmation).

The new movie? Senate, Nightmare, Packing, Traveling to Naboo, light blue jumpsuit with the headband, backless dress by the lake, flower girl by the waterfall, black leather, blue dress on Naboo, traveling to Tatooine, peasant dress, Tatooine white, white mission to Geonosis, white Geonosis (no action feature), wedding. - That's 15 more Padme's (not counting pilot and first figure). Plus 5 more adding the E1, and you get 20 figures needed for her. So they better do 4 per year!

POTJ wasn't so bad - we got Theed Throne, Sabe (decoy), black travel, and I heard most people say they liked these figures.

Later we will get rehashes of Obi-Wan and Anakin. Some that could be useful would be:

Anakin, neutral pose, removeable, hanging relaxed cloak on him.

Obi-Wan - same as above. From the Jedi Council scenes or Padme's apartment.

Obi-Wan - cloaked and molded to look soaking wet. This can be a dramatic action pose as long as you can work him through the scenes in the movie for the rain fight (read: meaningul articulation).

Obi-Wan - cloaked, wet, but relaxed. This could be from when Taun We takes him on a tour of the Clone facility. We don't want him to look like he's going to cut her head stalk off, do we?

Now I do think Jango Fett is done. I also don't think Baby Fett (Boba Kamino) needs a Geonosis figure. No thanks.

Zam is also done.

Dooku could take a nice neutral, non action pose figure with the cloak more wrapped around him. An extreme action pose with him really evil looking could be cool as well.

Luminara needs to be made neutral. Her padawan Bariss only requires one figure if done right: a highly poseable one which can be stood neutral.

R2D2 does not need another figure. If they want to make R2:

Jabba's Sailbarge as a cappacino machine.

OR REDO the darn lightsaber launching figure because it looks like such junk (Flashback R2) and this is my favorite R2 feature he could have!

Kit Fisto is a cool looking alien Jedi any way you cut it. A neutral Kit would be welcome too.

Mace needs a wild figure that's somehow simulating his cloak's on fire! That would be sweet!

The normal regular infantry Clone Trooper needs a highly articulated resculpt. And his paint should be totally clean.

That's about all I can think of right now.

But if Hasbro wants to sell an entire collection to KIDS right now, with the movie release, getting as close to 36 as possible would be great since last time 18 before the movie didn't move their sales for them as well.

And there was no one for kids to make the heroes fight. Maul and Battle Droid variations were being swallowed up. Sidious wasn't an "action villain." (Destroyers came out in June - after the movie had been out some time - but they weren't available for spontaneous purchase right as the kid leaves the movie theater).

Now we have 8 baddies already:

Jango
Boba
Dooku
Battle Droid
Super Droid
Tusken female
Geonosian Warrior
Zam Wessel

and you can view CloneTroopers, Chancellor's Crimson Guards, Taun We, and Dexter Jettster however you want (if you're a kid and have some imagination).

Plus the cardbacks show just a few of each figure, not making kids feel overwhelmed, but wetting their appetite for more.

Things could barely be better.

Nice job Hasbro!

2-1B
05-13-2002, 10:01 PM
No argument here. :)
Palps and Valorum from Episode I would have been better suited down the line. I like the fact that Hasbro set about doing so many Jedi up front, it offers better variety.

I'm really looking forward to the Lars family. :)

Battle Droid
05-13-2002, 10:02 PM
Geonosian Guard (with Sonic Blaster)
With holes in thier FEET for action figure stands!

Dwarf Spider Droid (with firing cannon)

Hailfire Droid

Spider Droid

CrossWizard
05-13-2002, 10:27 PM
Yeah, they figured kids and casual fans would have a blast with the main heroes, villains and characters, then after the movie buzz wears off the more collector inspired figures(or how I like to refer to as the 5 second characters) come out. Its a great strategy as it reduces the risk of the toy backlash and peg warming that occured with Episode 1.

browndroid
05-13-2002, 10:51 PM
i agree, they did awsome. i really like all the jedi also, two thumbs up hasbro!

Amanamike
05-14-2002, 12:28 AM
I sure did also appreciate the army builders up front when product will be at its highest. Makes sense to me to flog it while its hot!!! I am a completeist though and hope they make a hell of a lot more guys in the future. I still want alot more ep1 guys too. I think we got shorted a bit there.

Tycho
05-14-2002, 01:56 AM
Yes we did. Episode One we did not get:

5 Padmes (Pre-Senate, Post-Senate, Handmaiden, Purple, Celebration)

Captain Doldry Dofine (Niemoidian)
Senator Lott Dodd (Niemoidian)
Cmdr. Tey How (Niemoidian)

Nute Gunray (hologram)

Palpatine Hologram
Sio Bibble Hologram (should be included with Padme Handmaiden)

white Naboo Royal Guard
black Naboo Royal Security

Blue pilot Battle Droid
Clean up mini-droids

R2-A6
R1-G4

Ishi Tibb Pod Racer Fan

Gungan Council Rep Teers
Gungan Scout
Gungan Female w. Child

Senator Orm Fre Taa (but we got him in E2)
Senator Asks Moe (Gran)
Senator from Kashyyyk (Wookiee)
Secretary of the Senate Sei Teria

Graga (chubba seller) - or is that SwokesSwokes?

Kitster
Wald

Ben Quadrinaros
Dud Bolt
Aldar Beedo
Wan Sandage
Elor Mak
Ark Bumby Roose
Pod 12
Pod 13
Pod 14
Pod 15
Pod 16
Pod 17
Pod 18

Master Depa Billaba
Master Oppo Rancisis
Master Yarael Poof
Master Yaddle
Master Even Piel
Master Eeth Koth (from the Jedi Council chambers, not the Arena)

Rogue II
05-14-2002, 07:09 AM
R1-G4 was in Episode 1? Where? He is the same one sitting in the background during the Purchase of the droids, right?

I hope they come out with more Padmes. While I don't collect them myself, my wife does. I think she has all of the Padmes and most of other female characters so far, plus 2 of the 12" Amadala Collection and the Princess Leia Collection.

Taichi
05-14-2002, 07:28 AM
R1 was in Watto's shop.....

Forhekset
05-14-2002, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Tycho

Now I do think Jango Fett is done. I also don't think Baby Fett (Boba Kamino) needs a Geonosis figure. No thanks.

You don't think they'll make a Jango/Boba pilot? Or a Jango/Boba with PJs, from the apartment scene? Personally I think Boba Fett KE looks awful and I wouldn't touch it with a 12-foot pole, so I'm hoping for another Boba fig, myself.

JEDIpartner
05-14-2002, 08:51 AM
I'm with you on most of the list you posted. I think we only need one "wet look" Obi-Wan and that one should be well articulated to be in action or "meeting" mode. I would also like to see a neutral pose Anakin and Obi-Wan as well as a few of the Padme figures. I don't think that every single one is necessary, but some of the more "beautiful" outfits and "action" outfits would be welcome.

I realise that your list was created for diorama builders, but I would like to see ones that can also be played with.

A neutrally posed Luminara is high on my list of resculpts. Luminara is a very cool looking character and I am just disappointed in the one we got ("Stevie Nicks in space"). It looks great, but there isn't a single thing you can do with her, but to look at her in that dramatic pose. A nicely articulated version of Bariss Ofee would complement her nicely.

As for the initial offering of figures... I was pretty well chuffed that the did so well on getting the more "exciting" and "playable" characters out there first, saving secondary characters for potential future releases. I couldn't live without the Lars clan... that's for certain. I will be a happier man once Hasbro decides on whether or not they will continue to properly articulate their figures (Bespin Duel Luke, Clonetrooper #2) or just give us hyper-posed statues (everything else so far... main characters). If they continue to give us the statues, I will pretty much quit "full line" collecting as I have for the moment. If we get better figures like Luke and the Clonetrooper, I will be right there with them every step of the way!

pthfnder89
05-14-2002, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Tycho
Master Eeth Koth (from the Jedi Council chambers, not the Arena)

A couple people have said that, but I was wondering; Is the POTJ Eeth Koth really from the arena battle? Ok, he's certainly trying to kick someones butt, but in all of the pics I've seen of the Arena, he wears only a floor length, cream colored robe, almost exactly like the POTJ ObiWan (ANH) figure.

bigbarada
05-14-2002, 12:08 PM
I agree, I think Hasbro has done a woderful job of making the line accessible to kids. Not like the Ep1 line where we didn't get a Naboo Pilot Anakin until six months after the movie release.

However, historically, timing is not really a factor if the movie is good enough. It took almost a full year for the first Star Wars toys to show up after the movie's premiere in 1977. The long wait only helped to feed demand and the toys flew off the shelves.

Tycho
05-14-2002, 01:07 PM
True Barada, but to kids who take big movies for granted, these things and their collections are a dime a dozen. In '77, there was nothing like it. Today's kids will lose interest much faster.

Forhekset: I agree with you. I totally forgot about Jango Fett in his apartment's more casual attire. I do want that figure as it's a classic face-to-face meeting between him and Obi-Wan.

The Jango / Boba pilot figures could also be done. But I hope they wait until next year or 2004. Right now you can buy 4 different Jango figures (Sneak Preview, Kamino, Final Battle, Deluxe) - and while all but the Deluxe are actually selling well, I'm sure a lot of people haven't found "Final Battle" yet because it hasn't mass-shipped yet. The knee and wrist articulation on that figure is really good by the way. Just the knees could be smoother if they did them like GI Joe or even Cantina Han Solo. It's slightly sloppy, but forgivable. Anyway, Jango Kamino is still pretty easy to get if you go to all the stores and I think there is still plenty of him in most retailers' backstocks. Then Final Battle will hit and be everywhere. Hasbro is definitely not making the Short-Supply error they did with Darth Maul. So let's keep a variety coming before we get more Jango. You know they'll keep making HIM every year like they do Qui-Gon and Maul. :rolleyes:

- and hey, YES I do like Jango!

Darth Nihilus
05-14-2002, 11:50 PM
I like the FB Jango figure but the knees need to be fixed, that crazy legs thing he's got happening makes him near impossible to stand unaided. Same for GR Mace. I had to use the Commtech chips from Ep1 figures to get them to stand. Another gripe I have with Mace is his hand magnet. After putting the Lightsaber in his right hand and taking it out again I noticed it had a peg. LOL, that wasn't a peg, the bloody magnet had come out on the lighsaber handle.:mad: