PDA

View Full Version : Celebration III will be in Indy

OriginalBryGuy
05-14-2002, 12:21 PM
Yep, tis true...save up that money campers it looks like Indy will be host of Celebration III. Man I live in a lucky *** city! Can't wait.

Dryanta
05-14-2002, 12:27 PM
Hey BryGuy,
where does your info come from? just curious about making plans.

OriginalBryGuy
05-14-2002, 12:30 PM
http://www.indystar.com/article.php?digest13.html

Plus, some inside sources who volunteered at the convention. Aparently LucasFilm asked to keep the dates open for 2005.

Dryanta
05-14-2002, 12:34 PM
Cool thanks.

Taichi
05-14-2002, 01:40 PM
Sounds good, can't wait!

DarthMaulSithLord
05-14-2002, 01:44 PM
Darn! I want to go to C3, why can't they do it in Miami? That way i can do more than just visit C3.

:(

JEDIpartner
05-14-2002, 01:47 PM
I think they were trying to centralise the event so it was closer to population centres (east coast) and easier for people to get to. Maybe I'll make plans to go to that one!!!

JetsAndHeels
05-14-2002, 01:59 PM
Well I think I am going to do it. Dryanta are you still looking to go and meet up? It isnt going to get any closer obviously, and I dont want to miss this chance.

DarthMaulSithLord
05-14-2002, 02:05 PM
I have to go to this one since it will probably be the last.

:(

Mandalorian Candidat
05-14-2002, 02:50 PM
Uh. This is terrible. They've already had one there. Lucas needs to spread the wealth around. One for the midwest/rockies (Denver), one for the east (Indy) and now one for the west (San Diego, SF, Las Vegas, or Anaheim). They need to give us west coast people a chance now.

evenflow
05-14-2002, 03:27 PM
That sucks. I was hoping they were going to have it in NYC.

DrewDewce
05-14-2002, 03:29 PM
If they have it the same weekend as the Kentucky Derby again, I will have to pass then too . . .

CooLJoE
05-14-2002, 03:39 PM
I'm going no matter what! Its probably the last C3!

OriginalBryGuy
05-14-2002, 04:01 PM
I see it as a good thing. I mean, at least we know where it's going to be, and you have as of now 24 months to plan for it.

Indianapolis has lots to see and do, and lots of cheap places to stay. Just save like 20 bucks a month and you'll have enough to fly, drive or do whatever it takes to get here.

My advice, come the first day if it's Friday.

I couldn't imagine a Celebration III day on a Saturday. But....I'll be there.

mark2d2
05-14-2002, 04:16 PM
Gee, considering that Lucasfilm is based on the West Coast, he sure couldn't care less about us West Coasters . . .

Frankly, Indianapolis just isn't very high on my list of places I'd like to visit. (No offense. I'm sure it's nice and everything, but it just doesn't grab me the way, say, Miami would. Or even Chicago. )

Why not Vegas? It is so cheap and easy to get to and stay in Vegas.

Oh well. My friend who went to Celebration II said that for the most part it was a total nightmare. All he did was stand in line. And I hate crowds . . .

Dak Powers
05-14-2002, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by CooLJoE
I'm going no matter what! Its probably the last C3!

Of course it's the last C3! Last week was the last C2! :) Last Celebration you mean? Probably :)

Yeah, I don't care if it's in Russia, I'm going to this next one. And don't whine about the location, Indy is a nice central spot... East-coasters who whine about it not being near them obviously have no respect for us southerners or west coasters.

RooJay
05-14-2002, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
Uh. This is terrible. They've already had one there. Lucas needs to spread the wealth around. One for the midwest/rockies (Denver), one for the east (Indy) and now one for the west (San Diego, SF, Las Vegas, or Anaheim). They need to give us west coast people a chance now.
I agree wholeheartedly. This would also place C3 closer to the birthplace of Star Wars. I recommend my own hometown for more than the obvious reasons. We are surrounded by three major airports (SFO, Oakland, and SAC), and we're just about mid-way between SF and Sacramento, and nestled right next to the majesty of Napa wine country (the home of Francis Ford Copolla AND his vineyard!); not to mention being about 30 minutes away from Skywalker Ranch. Also, we are the home of Mare Island Naval shipyard which has plenty of room to host an event the size of C3 (MI even hosted an X-Files Expo just before the movie was released! It was also the location for principle photography on the movie Sphere, was featured prominently in the last half hour and Climax of the Eddie Murphy movie Metro, and one of the primary shooting locations for the movies Down Periscope and the Robin Williams starring Jack!). Vallejo is also home of Six Flags Marine World (the home of Mardji the elephant, who played the original Bantha in ANH until her death several years ago. They even had posession of her Bantha costume, which sadly they let be destroyed:( ), and is very near to Paramounts Great America (the most thrill rides in CA outside of Magic Mountain!). We also hosted a good deal of location shooting for the Coppola directed, Lucasfilm produced Tucker: A Man and His Dream! I can show anyone interested the exact spot where Copolla sat as he directed several scenes. ;) Vallejo is also about 20 minutes away from another Lucas related town: Petaluma where most of American Graffiti was filmed! I'd also like to point out that we are only 20 minutes from Pixar animation studios! The climate is quite nice here year round, and we are within minutes of the beach and lots of camping (not to mention the great redwood forrests; real life location of the forrest moon of Endor!), and within a couple hours from ski country. My beloved hometown also happens to be the only city in the country that was built specifically to become a state capitol (unfortunately, state government ended up being moved to Sacramento, which at the time was more suited to it.). C'mon George! Look at what we have to offer! Give us West Coast fans a better shot at making the show!

Dak Powers
05-14-2002, 06:53 PM
And let's take away that chance for the east coasters! Yay!

JediDan
05-14-2002, 06:58 PM
I say Las Vegas would be the place to go next time. But I don't know how the people wearing those stormtroopers outfits would be able to survive wearing those outfits if the temp ends up being in the 90s. ;) Well maybe on second thought Indy wouldn't be so bad again. It is very centralized and I could drive there in a day. I didn't make it to the 1st 2. I really want to make sure I make it to the 3rd one. Time to start saving up. :D

Mandalorian Candidat
05-14-2002, 07:06 PM
I would love to have it in Vegas. It's only about 6-7 hours from my home by car, my sister-in-law lives near the strip (no hotel) and who doesn't love $3.99 steak and eggs 24 hrs. a day?

It won't happen there though. For some reason, I can't see Lucasfilm sticking their precious convention in the middle of sin city. Too much competition for people's $ with all those slot machines around. Same thing with Anaheim and Disneyland.

Dryanta
05-14-2002, 07:32 PM
Hey guys,
Sorry to west coasters.But Indy isn't exactly next door for me either.I would love to get together with alot of the friends I've made here.But,I also plan on throwing my wife on the back of my ride and riding out.I have no way to get two and half weeks off to drive to california and back.But that's my problem not your's.
Vagas would be a pain,and NYC would be worse.IMHO
I've been to Indy in a trucks alot and it didn't seem that bad compared to alot of the places I've been.
Chicago would be alot like NYC I think.Wolfwood? Too much money to stay there.If in NYC I could stay at my inlaws and ride the train back and forth but that doesn't do anybody else any good.
It'll be where it is and go or don't right?

Taichi
05-14-2002, 08:15 PM
Most stormtrooper costumes have integrated fans in the helmets, therefore, heat is NOT a problem......

Eternal Padawan
05-14-2002, 10:05 PM
The problem wasn't Indianapolis as much as it was poor planning. if they do it there next time here's what they need to improve:

More space. All I saw were lines, lines and more lines. They didn't utilize half the rooms and the ones they did were poorly planned.
Autographs. Other conventions I've been to used the "Block" system. Where you get a ticket that says come back between 3:00 and 3:30 for Carrie Fisher's autograph. this cuts down on lines and frees up time to go to other events rather than spending hoiurs in a line.
The store. most people aren't clamoring for backpakcs and Roleplaying games. Set up little booths that offer this stuff around the complex to again avoid lines.
The figure. Presell it. if you only get two figure per pass per day, just assume I want them and just send them to my place when I order my three day pass. Once again this cuts down the store line and if i want extra, I can go stand in line then.
The events. Too many in too short amount a time. I only got to two of three events per day, which means I missed out on a majority of what they offered. Make the Celebration five days and have more repeating events so you can get to everything.
As BCJ suggested PREREGISTER for events. This cuts down on lines and gives the coordinators a better idea of that people want to do when they are there.
Staff. Hire more and preferably people with a knowledge of Star Wars and Celebration events. Not the rude, uninformed locals who were constantly yelling at guests.
OVER estimate the number of attendees. They were planning on having half as many people that actually showed. if they had planned on 100,000 and only 75,000 the whole thing would have gone down much smoother.
DON'T be concerned with turning aprofit. Charge just enough to cover you costs and break even. 75,000 x $75 is $5.6 milllion. I don't think that's the going rate for the Indianapolis Convention Center for three days, and I doubt Anthony Daniels asking price as MC was that high, so I felt like WOTC/Hasbro/Lucasfilm sucker punched me for profit. That's not even counting the overpriced action figure, the concert tickets, the autographs, and the dealer's fees. I get the feeling Daniels and McCallum were chuckling at the Marriot bar because everybody was PAYING them to be a fan. That upsets me.

CooLJoE
05-14-2002, 10:35 PM
Dak Powers - picky picky. Yes I meant last Celebration.

Personally I like Indy for location. Actually closer to or even in Michigan would be better, but thats cause I live here. I only missed C2 because I'm in the process of moving and can't afford it right now either. C3 I WILL be going to. No doubt in my mind about that.

stad
05-14-2002, 11:53 PM
Is that 75,000 DIFFERENT people, or the attendance for all three days, counting some people again on Sat. or Sun.?

stad
05-15-2002, 12:00 AM
Actually, I don't think Michigan would be a good place, and I am from there. I currently live in Tennessee, and drive back to Michigan probably a couple times a month. I travel all over (mostly) the eastern half of the United States (Denver on east) and Indy was probably one of the best places to do it. Indianapolis if laid out very nice and easy to navigate, and is not too overpopulated like in Chicago, NYC, or even Detroit area. Minneapolis probably has the best Convention Center as far as area goes out, it's huge, but Minneapolis is not a good location for most of the U.S. Let's face it, the weak planning aside, Indy is the best suitable location for a majority of the country and I actually hope they have it there again. It had to be an outstanding success for them. There was a lot of wasted space in the Exhibit Hall, especially the gaming areas and the short-lived book giveaway.

CooLJoE
05-15-2002, 02:02 AM
I don't know, holding it in Cobo Arena in Detroit would be very doable. Heck they are able to hold the International Auto Show in there, I'm sure SW will fit. And the IAS has a larger attendance too.

Only downside is the city its in, and the traffic can be a pain.

jedihunter25
05-15-2002, 04:17 AM
I think they should have it in Las Vegas. Not because I live here, but at Mandalay Bay they are building a 1.8 million square feet convention center that opens in March of '03. This is sappose to be the third largest convention center in the world. I talked to numorous people and actors at Celebration II and they think this is a good idea too.

OriginalBryGuy
05-15-2002, 12:06 PM
Wow, did I start this thread? heh heh.

Since I've lived in Indianapolis my whole life, I'll say this...I enjoy the town. It's not the most flashy, or exciting, but it is called the crossroads of america for a reason. LucasFilm chose Indianapolis for a reason.

If I were the rest of country I'd say just suck it up, save your pennies and come join the fun in a couple years.

There's no reason why anyone should miss the next one if they plan now.

We have a pretty good convention center, host the Indianapolis 500 each year..and many other events. It's easy to get around, less congested then the bigger cities in the US and centrally located.

I'm not saying it couldn't be held anywhere else, it could. I'm just saying that according to LucasFilm it looks like Indianapolis has Celebration III rights, so you might as well start making those "Indianapolis or Bust" signs now.

Eternal Padawan
05-15-2002, 03:09 PM
May I suggest Atlanta, St Louis, or Chicago as alternatives?

Jonna
05-15-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by OriginalBryGuy
Wow, did I start this thread? heh heh.

Since I've lived in Indianapolis my whole life, I'll say this...I enjoy the town. It's not the most flashy, or exciting, but it is called the crossroads of america for a reason. LucasFilm chose Indianapolis for a reason.

Hey OriginalBry Guy, bit of an odd question for you but how is the nightlife there? Any decent clubs (Electro-Synthpop, New Wave, inductrial, Techno)? I don't know anyone from the club scene in that area. If this sounds like a stupid question, you would be surprised where I have found decent clubs. :crazed: :crazed:

OriginalBryGuy
05-17-2002, 12:08 PM
Night life in Indy is pretty good. There's lots of choices depending on musical tastes and such.

Listing of clubs in Indy (http://www.nuvo.net/music/nexus/cb/)

The link above has a pretty good listing of bars and clubs in and around Indy.

Jonna
05-17-2002, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by OriginalBryGuy
Night life in Indy is pretty good. There's lots of choices depending on musical tastes and such.

Listing of clubs in Indy (http://www.nuvo.net/music/nexus/cb/)

The link above has a pretty good listing of bars and clubs in and around Indy.

Thanks much!!!!:D