PDA

View Full Version : AOTC movie reviews.

SWAFMAN
05-08-2002, 05:47 PM
just found this review on foxnews.com... (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,52250,00.html)

Dryanta
05-08-2002, 06:00 PM
Thanks SWAFMAN,
Cultists? what a jerk.You know what I hate about movie critics?These egomaniacs are so full of themselves.They work for news companies,if they know so much why don't they make multimillion dollar films and hit it big themselves?Because they are blow hards that are way overly impressed with their own unimportance.
90% or the time they fawn all over some liberal clap trap movie that makes zero sense out side of making a political statement.
Reminds me off the Fine arts.One "influential "person says it's good and all the other idiot sheep follow.Sorry I really hate film critics.They get paid to watch movies and give their "expert" opinion.You all know the definition of "expert" right.
"Ex" is a has been and "spert" is a drip under pressure.Sorry had to rant.I really can't stand those egotistical morons.

CaptainSolo1138
05-09-2002, 01:12 AM
I keep a basic rule when reading "professional" reviews: The opposite is true. I use the stars as a sleep factor: the more stars, the more likely I'll fall asleep. What made more money? "Quality, enlightening entertainment" such as "Snow Falling on Cedars" or "Wastes of time" like "TPM". As always, SW's box-office reciepts will shut them up.

2-1B
05-09-2002, 01:35 AM
We report, you decide. :rolleyes:
Right after I read that one, I read another review that said the first half was better.

Meh :)

Wolfwood319
05-09-2002, 03:14 AM
I pretty much figured that all the reviews of AOTC would pretty much be similar to that one. A quick nod to the other installments, mention the special effects, give an overview of the awful acting, etc, etc, etc.

This reaffirms my suspicions about the acting though. Ever since I heard "Its all Obi-Wan's faul!" I knew we were in for a real stinker of a performance from the majority of the film's stars. I just hope Sammy J. and Chris Lee can hold it somewhat together.

bigbarada
05-09-2002, 04:46 AM
I think the bad acting just adds to the charm of a Star Wars film.

All Star Wars films have been bashed for poor acting and writing, so what's the big deal? It has been only recently that critics have called the OT "classics" or "masterpieces." Before that they were about as dignified as episodes of Smurfs. Stupid hypocritical sheep!:mad:

2-1B
05-09-2002, 12:29 PM
I'm waiting to see the movie before I judge the line, "he's holding me back!" Within the context of just having buried my murdered mother, I'd probably sound like that too. But I know what ya mean, Wolfy ;)

In general, many of the reviews I read criticise the acting while holding the classic trilogy in high esteem. Huh? Harrison Ford is the man and Jones as Vader is teriffic, but after that I think they get real corny real fast.

Oh well, in a week we can compare our own reviews with each other instead of reading these. :)

corporal AMF
05-14-2002, 01:57 PM
I was wonderring why everyone who is in the media are walking towards the Dark side, saying that tha acting is lame, that the lines are poorly written......I believe lord malakite saw iot yesterday and got shocked by the movie, I also believe we all are gonne get rocked by it, but why all the world are getting this attitude 'it's ot very good', '2 stars', 'spiderman is better'....
seems they don't george lucas !
just my 2 cents:zzz:

Pendo
05-14-2002, 02:00 PM
All film critics are just jeleous!!! They wish they could have invented the series!

Actually there are quite a few good reviews out there and that's where I'm paying my attention, not on the bad reviews. Film critics focus more on the bad points of movies than the good points. Alot of films I like have gotten bad reviews anyway.

PENDO!

corporal AMF
05-14-2002, 02:16 PM
I know for sure it's going to be better than TPM, so I know at least it's good.......I sense a disturbance in the force ;) , I mean everybody is saying that it really su**s, so i don't understand them......It's all about having fun for two hours.......then for 2 1/2 year discussing EP 3, dont you think?

Darth Ovori
05-14-2002, 02:20 PM
First off...

The lines are in correct English grammer structure. Representing the more civilized age... Remember Obi-wan's English in ANH... ???

By the way I've just watched it to inform everyone... :D

Second, I never went to watch Pearl Habour cause my favorite reviewer rated the movie so-so, nothing great, gave it 2 and half stars...

Well I brought the movie on DVD this weekend and I loved every minute of it... ended up watching it twice...
Just proves that reviewers cannot speak for everyone...

The problem is that critics are nothing but buffoons that never made it in the movie production world... And the only way they can attack this movie is by saying it's not the OT... Cause they expect another replica of ANH...

My review of the movie is 9/10...
It's more an epic with every fantasy we want to live combined...
The effects are tops, the scene moving is gapless and there are so many new mini-sub plots born for a terrifc showdown in E3...

Yoda's fight scene was actaully quite cool...
Jango vs Obi-wan will enter movie history as one of the best fighting scenes in movie making...
And C.Lee performance out doe's any of his previous roles... liked it alot...

Dammit I'm so hyped up that I just won't shut up and can't wait to watch it again on Friday... :D

Pendo
05-14-2002, 02:20 PM
Well everyone says it's better than TPM and I enjoyed that, so I have no worries and don't give a smeg what the critics say :D.

PENDO!

BanthaPoodoo
05-14-2002, 02:35 PM
That guy is an idiot!!!

The first installment now known as Episode IV.....

HELLO!!!!!!!! It has always been Episode IV you dope!!!!!! This guy is a complete waste of time. I'll take everything he says with a grain of salt................

2-1B
05-14-2002, 02:47 PM
Well, it wasn't Episode IV ANH for the first year, was it?

BanthaPoodoo
05-14-2002, 04:07 PM
Yep. At the start of the movie the crawl says "Episode IV A New Hope" (in original crawl in 1977)

& the other crawls say Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (in original crawl in 1980) & Episode VI - Return Of The Jedi (in original crawl in 1983)

My original VHS copies even have it! :)

Pendo
05-14-2002, 04:30 PM
The crawl didn't say EPISODE IV A NEW HOPE untill it was redone in 1978 for the release of The Empire Strikes Back so it would fit in with the other movies.

PENDO!

2-1B
05-14-2002, 04:31 PM
No, I believe the crawl originally just said Star Wars and after it hit at the box office and Georgie knew he could do another one, then they went and added the episode number and subtitle to it.
I'm just not certain as to when that occurred, I'm thinking maybe around a year after it was released?
:)

edit: apparently Pendo is a faster typer than me! :D

Beast
05-14-2002, 04:33 PM
The original 1977 release did not have the "Episode IV" title card. That was added for the 1979-1980 rerelease of the film, before Empire Strikes Back came out. Originally Lucas left it off, so that if he couldnt make any sequels, the movie would be able to stand on it's own. Also why we don't get a cliffhanger ending at the end of ANH. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
05-14-2002, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
edit: apparently Pendo is a faster typer than me! :D

Sorry Caesar and JJB. It happens to me all the time :D.

PENDO!

bigbarada
05-14-2002, 04:38 PM
Pendo and Caesar are right, the 'Episode IV: A New Hope' wasn't added until it's re-release in 1978. That wasn't the only change: the scene were Chewie roars at the mouse droid and scares it off was also added in the re-release. I'm pretty sure other scenes were added.

I really should do some digging to find some of the old reviews from just before the initial releases of all the OT. They really were all pretty bad. In fact the only movie of George's that was a hit with critics was THX 1138, and that bombed at the box office.

Beast
05-14-2002, 04:55 PM
Was it 1978 the rerelease took place, or 1979? I'm a bit fuzzy on dates like that, I swore it was re-released in 1979 to get the fans excited for Empire Strikes Back in 1980. Well, either way we know that it wasn't there in 1977. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Bink

Pendo
05-14-2002, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Was it 1978 the rerelease took place, or 1979? I'm a bit fuzzy on dates like that, I swore it was re-released in 1979 to get the fans excited for Empire Strikes Back in 1980. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Bink

I always thought it was '78 but I'm not too sure, it could have been '79. I'll dig up the info from somewhere.

PENDO!

Beast
05-14-2002, 05:10 PM
Here is what IMDB says, but it doesn't say when the ANH title was added to the film. I know it was before the release of ESB though.

Original Release: May 25th, 1977
1st Re-release: July 21st, 1978
2nd Re-release: August 15th, 1979
3rd Re-release: April 10th, 1981
4th Re-release: August 13th, 1982
S.E. Release: January 31st, 1997

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
05-14-2002, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Pendo
I always thought it was '78 but I'm not too sure, it could have been '79. I'll dig up the info from somewhere.

PENDO!

Here's what I've dug up but I don't think it is reliable. It's from http://www.jedisluggo.homestead.com

EPISODE IV: A New Hope (4/10/1981)

The only difference to this version is the opening crawl which was re-formatted to fit the sub-title of "Episode IV: A New Hope. This was done after Lucas realised he would eventually make the prequels and made the official title of his second movie Episde V: The Empire Strikes Back. The new crawl was made nearly a year after the release of Empire. Click here to learn more about the crawl.

I don't think it is that reliable because I KNOW it was before ESB, and also had GWL decided to make the prequels back in '81? Click here (http://www.jedisluggo.homestead.com/versions.html) for more re-releases.

PENDO!

BanthaPoodoo
05-14-2002, 05:16 PM
I stand corrected! ::slaps face::

Anywho, the way the critic made it sound is that now that the new trilogy is out it is now known as E IV....... when in all actuality is has been that way for quite a long time.

For more info on this crawl please visit here (http://www.jedisluggo.homestead.com/crawl.html).

According to this person, it was added in 1981.

BanthaPoodoo
05-14-2002, 05:18 PM
Doh, posted when I was postin!!!!!

Pendo
05-14-2002, 05:23 PM
And we both linked to the same website :D

PENDO!

bigbarada
05-14-2002, 05:46 PM
George wrote the outline for the prequels in 1973 along with the draft that would eventually turn into the entire OT. Once Star Wars became a hit, he stated that it was actually part four of twelve, which got bumped down to nine and now is sitting at six. Supposedly GL closed himself off from his sequel trilogy by making Leia Luke's twin sister. Originally the "other" was supposed to be the star of the third trilogy which was to take place simultaneously with the OT. IMO, it probably would have covered the whole Bothan spy issue along with elaborating on Mon Mothma's role. I think ROTJ was supposed to bridge the two. Too bad, it could have been awesome.:(

Jango_in_Germany
05-14-2002, 07:24 PM
there was also a 10th anniversary re-release in 1987, my SW trilogy definitive edition laserdisc box set has the advertising commercials for it in the supplemental material......dont know the month but you can bet it was late spring sometime.

Jango_in_Germany
05-14-2002, 07:31 PM
http://www.toysrgus.com/images-speci/vilmur/sw-10-mylar.jpg

10th anniversary theatrical re-release poster 1987

RooJay
05-14-2002, 09:03 PM
The Internet Movie Database lists a July 21, 1978 rerelease date for ANH (which I'm pretty sure was when the ANH title card was added). I have also included a pic of the poster that was created specifically for the rerelease as listed in The Art of Star Wars.

Darth Ovori
05-14-2002, 10:32 PM
At last a positive reveiw from a great publication...
(and these were the guys that last time round claimed GL had lost the force)

Here's da link...

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1101020520-237035,00.html

And I agree with them fully... After seeing it, I don't understand how it can rate with Spidy... No offence to Spidey fans, but this movie is a epic of note...

corporal AMF
05-15-2002, 12:08 AM
Hey BigBarada, do you know where can I find an article of the original twelve Episodes?...I remember about the nine, but never heard about the 12 from 1973

bigbarada
05-15-2002, 12:23 AM
Ooooh, that'll be a tough one to dig up since I remember reading it from a couple of different sources but I only vaguely remember the sources. I think it was mentioned once in an old issue of Details magazine that came out just before the Special Editions. Other than that I will have to do some research on it.

pthfnder89
05-15-2002, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Ooooh, that'll be a tough one to dig up since I remember reading it from a couple of different sources but I only vaguely remember the sources. I think it was mentioned once in an old issue of Details magazine that came out just before the Special Editions. Other than that I will have to do some research on it.

I'd love to see too. I've heard a lot of rumours about what he planned and didn't plan over the years, and usually most of them are bunk. I've never read the theory you posted but I'd love to see it.

corporal AMF
05-16-2002, 12:00 AM
Sure, I mean I' ve been dreaming about my own PT and Sequel trylogy on my mind, so to know what GL planned would be nice.......
cheers

OriginalBryGuy
05-21-2002, 11:41 AM
Here's a review from OriginalPlots.com

http://www.originalplots.com/reviews/051602.html