PDA

View Full Version : After Ep3, then what?

bigbarada
05-14-2002, 03:02 PM
I was thinking about this earlier today and began to wonder what I would do after Ep3's release? Would I still collect all the toys? Would I still haunt message boards to talk about stuff?

I came to the conclusion that what I would LIKE to do would be to close that chapter in my life (after buying all the DVDs of course) and move on. Hopefully I would be able to give up on action figure collecting and only come to these boards to visit with friends as there won't be too much to talk about anymore. I've never been a big fan of the novels or card games so I don't see those being a big draw.

What do you guys think? What are your plans for after Ep3? Do you have any plans? Or are you just taking it one day at a time? Or is the idea of no new SW movies just too horrible to think about right now?

Pendo
05-14-2002, 04:46 PM
Sit and wait for another 20 years for George to make Episodes VII, VIII and IX or the Prequel Special Edditions. That's all I'll be doing, I'm not a big collector anymore (after my last collection was destroyed by a mad dog :() and I'm not a big reader, so basicly all I'll be doing is watching Episodes I - VI and waiting for more films.

PENDO!

Eternal Padawan
05-14-2002, 08:27 PM
It's kind of depressing to devote the first half of your life to something and have it go away.

I'm still holding out hope that after 10-15 years of making experimental "visual" films and some mediocre television series, George will get an itch to come back and make more adventures "a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away..."

Dryanta
05-14-2002, 08:57 PM
I'll keep up with the friendships that I've made.And I'll continue collecting until there are no more.And then?I have no idea.Star Wars isn't such a huge part of my life that i'll be lost with out it.
I will owe it something for the friends I've made.I'm still not 100% convinced that ep 3 will be the end.
Han Solo:the early years T.V. series? I have no idea.All the sets and vehicle modles and costumes and all should still used for something;)

Jason B
05-14-2002, 09:08 PM
i can see the Fox special now: "Chewbacca, his real death." ;)

browndroid
05-15-2002, 02:48 PM
actually i was just coming over to this section to post a thread just like this one, im hoping that 3 wont be the end, but if it is,im not sure what ill do, there wont be much to talk about anymore. I think that if gl makes 789 movies, they will be awsome, i read alot so, i guess that'l be it. :(

Orn Free Taa
05-17-2002, 11:10 AM
I heard rumors that Lucas mentioned in an interview that he'd contracted for 4 more films when he started TPM. Episode VII was supposedly on the roadmap. That would be cool to reunite the original cast (except Alec :().

Jonna
05-17-2002, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Orn Free Taa
I heard rumors that Lucas mentioned in an interview that he'd contracted for 4 more films when he started TPM. Episode VII was supposedly on the roadmap. That would be cool to reunite the original cast (except Alec :().

I don't think that would be a good idea. It would be like some bad TV series reunion. Leave me with my memories!!!!:stupid:

bigbarada
05-17-2002, 03:13 PM
That might have something to do with Supershadow's "plotline" for Episode 7. Someone might've concocted a story to justify it. Lucas has said over and over that Ep3 is it, six movies, no more.

When Lucas finished ROTJ, he never dismissed the possibility that he would eventually be back once FX technology caught up with his vision. He's been stating over and over that after Ep3, there simply is no more story to tell. That's why I don't hold out any hope for future movies.

Battle Droid
05-17-2002, 05:05 PM
It'll be a sad, sad day when the credits roll for Episode III. :(

eliwankenobi
05-17-2002, 05:47 PM
Y'all are way too depressing. What comes after E3? Why then its E4: ANH.
I'm looking forward to E3 just so we can finally see the whole story together. And I'm sure once its all done, Lucas will be allowing the books to fill in the gap between E3 and E4. True, the books aren't visual like the movies are, but many of them are just as compelling.
As for collecting, I think I'll be glad when its all over. This way I'll finally have money to do some other things in life. Besides, by then I'm sure I'll have topped 1,000 figs and a 100 ships so I'll have pleanty to keep me playing til I just can't lift my PowerFX X-Wing any more.

Pendo
05-17-2002, 06:01 PM
Just think though, after your first viewing of Episode III, you will NEVER, EVER get that same feeling of watching a Star Wars film for the first time. This feeling will be gone forever. The feeling of excitement, anticipation and mystery will be no longer new in the Star Wars galaxy :(...
I...think...I'm...gonna...cry...:cry::cry::cry:

PENDO!:cry:

Jedi Clint
05-17-2002, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by eliwankenobi
Y'all are way too depressing. What comes after E3? Why then its E4: ANH.
I'm looking forward to E3 just so we can finally see the whole story together. And I'm sure once its all done, Lucas will be allowing the books to fill in the gap between E3 and E4. True, the books aren't visual like the movies are, but many of them are just as compelling.
As for collecting, I think I'll be glad when its all over. This way I'll finally have money to do some other things in life. Besides, by then I'm sure I'll have topped 1,000 figs and a 100 ships so I'll have pleanty to keep me playing til I just can't lift my PowerFX X-Wing any more.

Right on! I might actually become an EU fan after the saga is complete :eek:

Pendo
05-17-2002, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Clint
I might actually become an EU fan after the saga is complete

Me too!! I'd have to learn how to read first though, I cannot read anything when there are alot of words like in a book. That's why all my posts are always short and I never participate in threads that have had alot of posts in them...I CAN'T READ!!!!!:stupid: :stupid:

PENDO!

Vortex
05-17-2002, 06:31 PM
Well I remember when Star Wars 1st died, shortly after ROTJ. I was a kid, back in junior high and I remember one cold snowy december day when I was with my folks x-mas shopping and I ran across the power of the force figures with the coins at Fleet Farm. I was in awe and my folks let me get 2. I was just in awe looking at the back of the card and seeing all...what what it 92 figures standing there. I circled the ones I needed and just saved the card drooling over the time I'd have the whole set.

Well after saving my x-mas cash to buy a few more figs so I tagged along with my folks after the holidays to target, fleet, woolworths, etc...and there wasn't a figure to be found. Slowly after that the stickers faded away, all the school suplies disapeared and star wars vanished from the retail market. I never thought it would just end... Then a few years later in H.S. Zahn's novels showed up, and one morning in college while eating Fruit Loops I seen this action figure that was Han in Stormtrooper disguise for X bucks and the line was reborn, movies re-released, and the prequils made...

I don't believe its totally over after E3. The books will keep coming for a while after that, but just not so great a volume, and then it will be a trickle, and one day we'll all forget to buy a book, miss a comic, pass on a EU figure and then it will be done.

The books will fill in the gaps between the movies, before the movies, and after the NJO, the comics will keep coming, and I'm sure there will be 10 year anniversaries, DVD's etc. But I do think the toy line will die out shortly after the last movie. Hasbro doesn't pander that much to collectors, and once the 2 hour advertisements (the movies) for their toys are done, the line will be done. Hasbro deals in kids toys, and big buck collectables. I can maybe see a small few "exclusives" here and there, but the toys will stop coming...

Once the last credits roll, the last figure is produced, I plan on unloading my collection of carded figures. I doubt the returns for new toys will be a large as the 1st originals in another 20 years since we all seem to be stocking figures in our basements these days...I'll get what I can get, make a small profit, keep figures for myself and remember my childhood and the fun I had hunting and talking with fellow fans.

Star Wars will never truely die, but things will be scaled back greatly, and right now we're in the middle of the greatest star wars banquet, might as well enjoy it and when the end comes look back with smiles. I plan too.

Fulit
05-17-2002, 07:50 PM
What I would love to see is not Episodes 7,8,9, but the 20 some-odd years between E3 and E4. I don't know what they would call it, Sub-Episode 3a, or what, but I would like to see those "lost years".

stevenmh
05-19-2002, 09:37 PM
I'll be sorry to see the decline of SW after EP3, but my wallet won't. :)

I thought that I had read a long time ago that GL's original script for SW was divided into 3 trilogies, and that he started with the middle trilogy. It seems that he must have decided prior to '91 that he would never do EP7-9, since Lucasfilm authorized all the novels covering events occuring after ROTJ. Unless the 3rd trilogy had the same 20-some year gap from the 2nd trilogy that the 2nd trilogy has from the first, which I kind of doubt. At any rate, I think these two trilogies make a complete story, and a third would just needlessly drag it out.

Vortex
05-19-2002, 10:15 PM
Yea, on the long, very long shot that George, DID decide to do episodes 7-9 I'd have reservations about them.

The novels were ok, and did have to go through Lucas to keep things in check, but I really don't want to see a greying luke, leia, and han do battle with remnant forces, restart the senate and put down all the super weapons.

He's stated that after Ep. III he's done, and I do agree that he should end it there.

My wallet has also seen a better day since I started collecting. I'm slowly saving for a house and the thousands of dollars I have sunk into the figures, ships, and this and that, have delayed getting a house, and a new car. The old metro just ain't what she used to be. I'll be glad to buy the last figure, keep reading the books, and enjoying the movies at home. Besides Star Wars will never really die off anyway.

Lman316
05-26-2002, 08:13 PM
I think I'd collect until Hasbro stopped making the things. And then I'd buy stuff that I needed that I already didn't have (from Ebay or on here), and I tweak with my displays.
I'm really not too keen on the EU. I've read a few, I'm actually reading "The Approaching Storm" right now, and it's good, but some, I just don't like. So, I don't think I'll get too caught up in those, after Episode 3.
But, I hope that GL just won't quit after 3. If anything do the part between Episodes 3 and 4, like everyone is talking about. Let us see the Jedi Purge! :D

Darth Grifter
06-03-2002, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by tjovonovich

Star Wars will never truely die, but things will be scaled back greatly, and right now we're in the middle of the greatest star wars banquet, might as well enjoy it and when the end comes look back with smiles. I plan too.

I really haven't thought about post EIII until I came across this depressing thread...I think that I'll just move on, watch 3 about 10 times or more to try and soak in that last hurrah, that last midnight line with my lightsaber in hand, that last everything...I assume that Lucas will re-rerelease the OT when he is done tinkering in the theaters before he releases the 6DVD set for whatever price he deems worthy. I doubt strongly that there will be a #7, the story is really about Anakin, the Chosen One, life...and death.

I too, hold on to the hold that Star Wars will never die. My figures will always adorn my room (although my wife would like me to tuck them away) and I will always cherish the memories of a life lived in twenty year and then three year incriments.

I read a lot of novels because I'm an Lit major, so I've always kind of feigned away from the mass produced series of books, however, lately I've felt drawn, somehow, by the thought of reading them. I feel that I need to know more...MORE...

Will I sojourn back to these hallowed halls of Star Wars gossip and Collector Gold Mines, I don't know. I suppose that I will one day to see who's still here.

:cry: :( :cry: :( :cry:

bigbarada
06-08-2002, 07:14 PM
Once Ep3 and all the DVDs are released and the toy line dies out, then sites like this will diminish, eventually whither away then blink out of existence.:(

I give the SW fan club about 1 to 2 years of life after Ep3, TF.N will be killed off within a year. The online stores that specialize in SW memorabilia will last the longest, maybe up to five or six years after Ep3. All the sites that focus on prequel news will vanish once 2005 roles around. I have no idea how long SSG will last, it seems that many visitors to this place can't wait for this prequel nonsense to be over with so life around here can get back to normal.:)

Obi-Don
06-09-2002, 05:49 AM
I often wondered what I will do at that moment when EPIII is over. What will I look forward to. I guess I will keep collecting and reading the books. Watch the movies at home and try to keep STAR WARS alive if only to myself.