PDA

View Full Version : Playstation lowers price

smurfvader
05-14-2002, 02:54 PM
That's right Playstation2's price is dropping down to 199$ and the Ps one is lowered to 49$. Here is a link to the article.

http://money.cnn.com/2002/05/14/technology/ps2_pricecuts/index.htm

JIm

bigbarada
05-14-2002, 03:02 PM
Cool! That's now much cheaper than buying a DVD Player AND a video game system!

JediDan
05-14-2002, 06:05 PM
It is rumored now, and is expected to be verified at E3 that XBox will also be lowering it's price to $199. If that is true then that will be one heck of a deal. You'd get the modem, hard drive, 4 controller ports, and a much faster system for your money, compared to PS2. Don't get me wrong I like PS2, but it sure is showing it's age ALREADY compared to Xbox and Gamecube.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-14-2002, 08:43 PM
Wow, $50 for a pretty decent video game system and only $199 for a system complete with a DVD player. I remember way back when some Nintendo games cost $50 and that was like back in 1989. And I thought some of those games were state-of-the-art with really good graphics. How times have changed!

Dar' Argol
05-14-2002, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by JediDan
It is rumored now, and is expected to be verified at E3 that XBox will also be lowering it's price to $199. If that is true then that will be one heck of a deal. You'd get the modem, hard drive, 4 controller ports, and a much faster system for your money, compared to PS2. Don't get me wrong I like PS2, but it sure is showing it's age ALREADY compared to Xbox and Gamecube.

The problem with the X-box though is this. Sega was interviewed and asked about PS2 vs X-box online. I think its in the new iss of Electronic Gaming Monthly(I think). Sega say that the X-Box works like this: Microsoft handed developers a system and said "Here's the box, here's the software, here's what it can do, make your stuff fit our system." Sony handed the developers this, "Here's the system. There's a lot of room for impovement. You thrid party guys do what you want to make it better."

In other words, where the PS2 is expandable and made more like rubber, the X-box is as hard as a rock in terms of developing stuff for it. And the PS2 has no set Hard-drive size yet. They could make it as big as they want. Or make multible sizes.

Besides, the one we have in the store is giving us nothing but problems. Its been replaced twice now and it may have to go back again. But our PS2, Gamecube(lunchbox), PS1, and Gameboy Advance were all put in the same time as the X-Box and they are all fine. I really fell that for all the hype, the X-Box is not much better then the PS2. and PS2 has more games:D.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-14-2002, 10:26 PM
If I had to pick one system to buy, it would be the PS2. It seems like Sony knows what they're doing more than Microsoft and maybe even Nintendo.

BTW, I was at TRU today and they had a sign right on the door with the new $199 price tag.

Wolfwood319
05-14-2002, 10:39 PM
PS2 definately is on the ball right now. Even with the original though, PS did just about everything right. Sure, they've always been third in the graphics department, but they're vast library of great games, and excellent 3rd pary support.

Nintendo, I think, is in a league of their own, and has been for some time. They really only compete with themselves, when you think about it. People out there will always buy the new Nintendo system, because its Nintendo. (Like me for example.) I bought a Gamecube the day it came out, and only own 5 games right now; Rogue Leader, RE, SSB:M, Madden 2002, and Spider-Man, and 2 of those games are available on other systems. I realized there wouldn't be as many great games for this system right away, but Nintendo has never failed. They don't get as many "multi-platform" games, but they do get great Nintendo-made games, and that's why people buy Nintendo.

plasticfetish
05-15-2002, 01:53 AM
A nice little price war right now would be great! Chances are (and rumors have it) that Nintendo will drop their price to compete ... which is great because my PS2 needs a little blue friend. Everything said and done though, the bottom line is that no matter how low the systems go ... and they all claim to take losses on their hardware ... the games will remain expensive. Who knows they may become more expensive. Hmmm ... do I buy the new Resident Evil or do I pay my broadband bill this month? (Remember back before PS1 when they claimed that games on disks would be less expensive, because they weren't burdened by the cost of the ROM chips in carts?)

pthfnder89
05-15-2002, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
If I had to pick one system to buy, it would be the PS2. It seems like Sony knows what they're doing more than Microsoft and maybe even Nintendo.

Microsoft announced today that the Xbox price has officially been cut to $199. This is really cool timing because my bday is on the 21st, and I was asking for an Xbox, so I'll probably actually get one now.:)

Microsoft hasn't yet made any announcements about their accessories though (Sony lowered the prices on all their accessories as well) but hopefully they will lower the prices on them too, seeing as how Xbox accessories are quite simply, the biggest ripoff I've ever seen. $45 for their sucky huge controller:rolleyes:

Nintendo also lowered the prices today on their controllers, but that has more to do with the fact that their Wavebird wireless controller comes out this month for $35, so they dropped the regular one down to $25.

Dar' Argol
05-15-2002, 06:01 PM
Price changes came down today for the PS2, X-Box, and PSOne. The prices at Wal-Mart are as follows:

PS2 - $199.94

X-Box - $199.94

PSOne - $49.96

Also be on the lookout for PS2's greatest hits line for $19.82! Some titles that are on this price point are:

Twisted Metal Black, Smuglers Run, Grand Turismo A-Spec, The Adventures of A'lon Dar, and a few more I cannot think of off the top of my head:rolleyes:.

Also, Wal-Mart has re-designed their cases for all the games and systems. They include 1 piece of glass that covers the entire cabinet, lighted toppers, they display the system so you can see how big each system is. Be on the look out for these new cases at your local Wal-Mart soon!

And the price changes should take place in the next couple of days:D.

JediDan
05-15-2002, 06:06 PM
So they did officially announce the XBox pricedrop??? Awesome.. $300 is just way too much for a video game system. $200 is high but bareable.

Dar Argol, I did read about what you were saying in this months EGM. It was quite bothersome reading that Xbox did set certain limits down, BUT one thing that is good is that you'll only need 1 screenname for all your online videogames and that every online game they make has to use the Xbox headset. You can even change the sound of your voice too when talking. Can you imagine how many D. Vader impersonators there will be?? :D

Can't wait to play both of the systems online. :D :D

Dar' Argol
05-15-2002, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by JediDan
every online game they make has to use the Xbox headset.

I really don't like it when a game company tells me I HAVE to use something to play their games. Its just another ploy to suck money out of you. Its like Microsoft telling everyone that they have to use XP from now on b/c nothing else will work. That's just not right! I like to have the choice if I would use the headset or not. What if I want to concentrate more on the game then listening to someones useless chatter?? Put the headset down?? Then why did I buy it?? Its just another point on how restrictive the X-Box is.

I was really hoping when the Box came out it was going to be good, you know, to give some decent compitition. But I was very disapointed in it, not really all that impressive IMO. I've seen better graphics and play features on the Gamecube and I am a PS2 fan! Unless some major re-evaluations happen at MS I do not see the X-Box lasting anymore then 5yrs. Heck the PS1 was still a major player and it was over 5yrs old and severly outdated, but they still managed to squeeze every bit of power out of it and make some really awesome games!! I forsee this will be the trend with the PS2.

JetsAndHeels
05-15-2002, 06:38 PM
With these price cuts, you know Sony is fixing to unveil a new system somewhere down the road. I can remember when PSone Greatest Hits started coming out, the PS2 wasnt released too much longer after that.

Dar' Argol
05-15-2002, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by JangoFett96
With these price cuts, you know Sony is fixing to unveil a new system somewhere down the road. I can remember when PSone Greatest Hits started coming out, the PS2 wasnt released too much longer after that.

I can't remember off the top of my head (I will try to find it later) but I read an artical about the PS2 and one of the questions they asked was about a PS3. The guy from Sony stated, and I am paraphrasing, that they will not bring out a new system until there is a dire need. They are going to try to get the same life out of the PS2 as they did the PS1. He made a referance to Sega and their "new system of the month" approach and how Sony did not want to do that. I'll see if I can dig up the artical at a later time. 4hrs and 5 minutes till E2!!!!!!!!!!!

The Greatest Hits series came out after Sony had sold something like a million copies of a game. It was a way to get rid of the older games at resonabnle prices. It has nothing to do with a new system. I forget what the benchmark is but once a game sells that many, it goes to greatest hits. Most of the greatest hits games right now are the ones that were out at launch. Midnight Club is another GH game I just remembered.

JetsAndHeels
05-15-2002, 07:19 PM
Well either way I am not complaining about the price cut on some of those games. Now I can buy more and spend less.

plasticfetish
05-15-2002, 07:35 PM
Saw the prices marked down at both Target and TRU today also.
That was quick. C'mon Nintendo!

pthfnder89
05-16-2002, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Dar' Argol

I can't remember off the top of my head (I will try to find it later) but I read an artical about the PS2 and one of the questions they asked was about a PS3. The guy from Sony stated, and I am paraphrasing, that they will not bring out a new system until there is a dire need. They are going to try to get the same life out of the PS2 as they did the PS1. He made a referance to Sega and their "new system of the month" approach and how Sony did not want to do that. I'll see if I can dig up the artical at a later time.

Yeah, there's no real reason for Sony to rush out a new system. The PS2 can't handle nearly the graphics of the Xbox, but it has a HUGE customer base around the world. Practically everyone has one.

Besides, all of the videogame companies money (Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo) comes from the game sales, not the console sales. They actually lose a ton of money on each console they sell, but it's a long-term plan because once all their customers have the system, they need the games, and thus the actual profit starts coming in.

I don't know about Nintendo lowering prices real soon though. With the Xbox at $199, the same as the Gamecube, it seems easy to say that you get a lot more with the Xbox so it's an easy choice. But Nintendo actually has a very different customer base than Microsoft and Sony. Parents and kids are familiar with the Nintendo brand and they know that most Nintendo games are suitable for their young children, as opposed to the more action packed and violent Sony or Microsoft games.

Plus, really the only big difference between the Xbox and the Gamecube is the lack of a DVD player and a hard drive. The Gamecube is only a tiny bit behind Xbox in the graphics dept. So parents aren't going to be able to tell the difference, and it's not like a lot of little kids need their own DVD player.

So I think Nintendo will probably keep the Gamecube price at $199 for a while longer, because they aren't really competeing for the exact same market like the PS2 and the Xbox are.

Dar' Argol
05-16-2002, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by plasticfetish
Saw the prices marked down at both Target and TRU today also.
That was quick. C'mon Nintendo!

Nintendo will NOT be marking the GC down at all. This way straight from our reps mouth at my store. They feel that the system itself can stand with the others. So now that price is no longer a factor, it now comes down to the systems.

Actually Pthfnder89, the PS2 can push more graphics then the X-Box. I remember reading that the PS2 can push out something like 10 million, or billions polygons per second with no slow down. The X-Box(I think) could handle about 8 million, or billion. The problem is that no one has pushed the PS2 to its limits yet, I don't even know if they found the limit.

But your right about the sales of the games. That is where they make their $. Look at the game library for PS compaired to every other platform. Because Sony when with backwards compatiblity their game libray is HUGH!! That, IMO, was the best idea any game company could make!! I can't tell you how PO'ed I was at SEGA. I left that company after they killed the Saturn and went to Sony and never looked back. So Sony has all these games, all these new one's coming out. I don't see a need to bring out another system from them.

pthfnder89
05-16-2002, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Dar' Argol

Actually Pthfnder89, the PS2 can push more graphics then the X-Box. I remember reading that the PS2 can push out something like 10 million, or billions polygons per second with no slow down. The X-Box(I think) could handle about 8 million, or billion. The problem is that no one has pushed the PS2 to its limits yet, I don't even know if they found the limit.

The basic graphics breakdown is like this:

Playstation 2 Gamecube Xbox

300 Mhz processor 485Mhz 733Mhz
150Mhz graphic chip 162Mhz 250Mhz
70 million polygons 12 million 125 million

There's lots of other numbers and factors besides just raw speed also, but I won't even claim to understand what all of them mean. But basically, in sheer graphics power the Xbox is quite a bit ahead of the PS2. But you're right, the PS2 hasn't been pushed near its limits yet. It can do a whole lot more, just like the PSX games got better and better.:)

I've had a PS2 since it came out, and I bought the Gamecube for Xmas, and hopefully I'll get an Xbox for my bday Thursday. I can't wait for the new Bounty Hunter game, and the AOTC game for Gamecube!

plasticfetish
05-21-2002, 01:02 AM
Hello $149.99 Game Cube ... good bye $149.99 of my hard earned cash ... not to mention time wasted playing the one (or maybe two) games I can actually afford.

"Nintendo will NOT be marking the GC down at all. This was straight from our reps mouth at my store. They feel that the system itself can stand with the others... "

Moral: Never trust a company man.

QLD
05-21-2002, 01:42 AM
I paid full price for all 3 systems and have easily gotten my moneys worth out of all of them.

pthfnder89
05-21-2002, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
I paid full price for all 3 systems and have easily gotten my moneys worth out of all of them.

Yeah, I will hopefully get an Xbox today for my Bday, and then I will have all three.

I decided to buy the Gamecube in December, instead of the Xbox because I really wanted to play Rogue Squadron, but since then I've been sooooo disappointed by how few games there are for it.

Thakfully at E3 there have been TONs of good games announced for it, so I'm still happy I bought it. (to be honest, I thought it was worth it for Rogue Squadron alone. That game freakin rules!:))

But I need the Xbox for the upcoming Buffy game, as well as "Star Wars : Knights of the Old Republic" this August, and several game in between.

Dar' Argol
05-21-2002, 05:43 PM
Hello $149.99 Game Cube ... good bye $149.99 of my hard earned cash ... not to mention time wasted playing the one (or maybe two) games I can actually afford.

"Nintendo will NOT be marking the GC down at all. This was straight from our reps mouth at my store. They feel that the system itself can stand with the others... "

Moral: Never trust a company man.

Where was this done at?? Is their a new link or something?? B/C our electronics Dept did not get this price change. Not doubting you but I have seen where a store will mark something down only at the store level, not company wide.

JediDan
05-21-2002, 05:59 PM
pthfnder89... Did you get an XBox for your B-day??? Hope so... :)

JediDan
05-21-2002, 06:23 PM
Well it's official!!!! Nintendo dropped the price on GC to $149.99. And they darn well should have. Look at how much more you get with Xbox and PS2 if they were all to be the same price.

plasticfetish
05-21-2002, 08:56 PM
Yeah ... the TRU here by me had GC marked down ... so I will be rushing to recycle aluminum cans to buy one.
Was happy ... seriously, to see memory cards for PS2 marked down to $24.99 (almost affordable) now maybe I can load that dvd software on one.

Question for Dar' Argol ... I was wondering, now that they've all lowered their prices, who eats that price drop? Does the retailer (i.e. TRU, etc.) lose that money or does the manufacturer take the hit?

Dar' Argol
05-21-2002, 09:20 PM
Question for Dar' Argol ... I was wondering, now that they've all lowered their prices, who eats that price drop? Does the retailer (i.e. TRU, etc.) lose that money or does the manufacturer take the hit?

Very excellent question plasticfetish! Here's how it works. A company, (TRU, WM, KM, etc) buys merchandise at Cost. For sake of argument lets say WM bys the GC for $135. Then they mark it up about 30% for profit. That takes it to about $199. So they are making about $64 on every GC. They purchase it from Nintendo so it become their(WM) property. Then a price reduxtion comes down for $149. They are still making profit, just not as much. Now they are making about $14 on every GC. But they can't stop it b/c the mark down came from Nintendo. So they have to bite it. The only time they have to worry is when the price goes below cost. Most items in Electronics at WM have around a 30-40% mark up. This is how buisness works. . . . . . . . . sorta.