PDA

View Full Version : Is everybody just irritable today?

Obi-Dan Kenobi
09-12-2001, 05:14 PM
Okay, I have noticed that it seems everyone, from my co-workers to customers, to my girlfriend, to myself is just irritable as hell today. I work in a restaurant, tending bar and waiting tables, so I'm used to getting absolutely stupid and annoying comments. Usually I brush them off, smile and keep on being polite. But I actually was surprised at how annoying people were today. Also, I argued with one of my customers, which I never do. Argued until she just stopped talking to me. Of cousre, I felt bad afterwards, and couldn't figure out what possessed me to argue with her. I just wonder, in light of yesterday's events, if this is a national phenomenon and if anyone else has noticed it. I think everyone was shocked and amazed yesterday, and now the anxiety and anger are setting in, making people jumpy. And also grouchy.

bigbarada
09-12-2001, 06:25 PM
Yes, I've noticed the same thing today. I believe it is just the adrenaline from yesterday wearing off. I remember actually being frightened as I went to sleep last night, worried that the attacks were going to continue. When I woke up this morning I noticed I was in a very confrontational mood and had basically no sense of humour. I was just taking EVERYTHING personally. I thought it was just me.

Jargo
09-12-2001, 07:40 PM
it's a perfectly normal reaction. with no-one to point the finger at, rage has to go somewhere. emotions are so high that every sense id heightened. I woke up and was angered bythe favt that everything was carrying as normal in my neighbourhood. i was angry that adverts were still running on the TV. I was angered by the smiles i saw on peoples faces wherever i looked when i was boiling with sadness inside. Being helpless in the face of such a tragedy is going to be hard to bear for so many people that we are all going to face such emotions in the days ahead. How could people be cheery after yesterday? Life has to go on but we cannot be allowed to continue as normal. The moment any of us begins to forget or become complacent is the moment that the terrorists have won. I live on the other side of the Atlantic and want so much to help somehow. I am frustrated that i cannot.
It may sound crass Obi-dan but if you feel the frustration brimming over you must take a step back and allow others to express their pain and frustration. You work in a job that is not known for gaining the respect of clientelle at the best of times. You are seen as the little guy to dump on. It's not personal, it's just the way it is. Try not to take it to heart. :)

Eternal Padawan
09-12-2001, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
I woke up and was angered by the fact that everything was carrying on as normal in my neighborhood. I was angry that adverts were still running on the TV. I was angered by the smiles I saw on peoples faces wherever I looked when I was boiling with sadness inside.

I felt the same way jargo. Once again you succinctly put into words how I am feeling...:( :(

vulcantouch
09-12-2001, 11:05 PM
so just stay loose & frosty, & later everywun'll remember whatta cool cucumber you were ;)
vt

bigbarada
09-12-2001, 11:10 PM
I've also noticed that people are really jumpy today. Everytime someone hears a loud sudden noise they get startled.

I've seen behavior like this before, in Bosnia. I never in a million years thought I would be seeing it in the US.

GNT
09-13-2001, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by Obi-Dan Kenobi
I just wonder, in light of yesterday's events, if this is a national phenomenon

More like international dude, This has been on all the channels here in Australia non stop since it happened!

evenflow
09-13-2001, 07:30 AM
The world has been changed forever. I am right across the river, and people are just miserable. I was talking to a friend in Italy who ised to come and visit. I now really mean used to, because she said she is not coming any more.

JEDIpartner
09-13-2001, 08:34 AM
Yeah... people are being complete @$$h0LE$ everywhere... and with all the stuff that's been happening, I have found myself being EXTRA nice to everyone.

That's really what we should be doing. See???? They are fracturing us from within!!! Stop the disease!!!

Living should not stop as LIFE does not stop. To stop our daily activities is to let them have their little victories. Mourn the losses, but glorify life and honour the vicitms by LIVING... and remember- the last thing you say to someone may very well be the LAST thing they will ever hear.

Obi-Don
09-13-2001, 09:09 AM
Thats why I always tell my family I love them before I go to work or anywhere else for that matter. Yes I do believe that if we change the way we live,we are letting them win.It is hard to go on to work and shopping or anything else knowing what has happened.I was beginning to start thinking about Christmas,making plans and all the things that go with it. But you can't help to think about those who have lost someone and how thier Christmas will be effected. To say "this sucks" doesn't even come close to saying how I feel.I know I will be thinking of all those people and saying prayers for them now and when the holidays get here.Maybe we all need to say some prayers for them and remember them now and always.

I have also noticed the change in people. Not as much as being anrgy at each other but most do feel jumpy.I noticed today when I got home from work I heard alot of sirens and I must say that it worry me.I guess it will take some time for all of us,because it did effect us all in one form or another.

To the one responsable for the attack"MAY YOU ROT IN HELL"!

JediTricks
09-13-2001, 10:18 AM
I think it's natural to feel jumpy, I've noticed here in LA that folks seem very jumpy about airplanes overhead. The idea that 3 of the 4 airplanes used in these horrid acts of terrorism were heading towards this fair city of mine is just one more little piece of "oh my!" to add onto our pile of anxiety, fear, and disgust for some of the folks I've seen over the past few days here in LA. However, I've also adopted that "be a little more kind and watch for opportunities to help others" attitude to counter the fear I see, because I know that the brotherhood of man is stronger than any act of terrorism.

What really cheeses me off is that during these horrible events and in the days following, the amount of e-mail spam I've received has steadily grown! What the hell?!?

El Chuxter
09-13-2001, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
What really cheeses me off is that during these horrible events and in the days following, the amount of e-mail spam I've received has steadily grown! What the hell?!?

Twice yesterday, I received a message from "givelife" or something like that that looks like a legitimate plea for aid. (I know this because I, though I normally delete spam without reading it, thought it might be on the level.) But after a paragraph, it becomes a lengthy and disgusting diatribe about how anyone who doesn't support spam automatically supports bin Laden.

Back to the subject, I've felt rather touchy over the past couple of days, and even saw a report last night about how it's a normal reaction. There's no one to blame, and we feel helpless, so we're all on edge. It's going to take weeks at least, more likely months or even years, for life to be "normal" again. I've slept fitfully, when at all, since the attacks, and always wake up with an image of an airplane crashing into a tower in my mind. I'm still trying to comprehend the very idea of 11,000 people, much less 11,000 casualties. Plus, it's just sinking in that, had either plane destined for the White House hit that target, many of my friends who work in the vicinity would be injured or dead.

And I just realized last night, when telling my girlfriend that her options for a drink were "Crab Juice or Mountain Dew" how many seemingly trivial things are going to be different because they remind us of what's happened. (That particular line is from a Simpsons episode that takes place almost entirely in and around the World Trade Center, and it doesn't seem nearly as funny to me as it did on Monday.)

I've been waking up several times a night, immediately replaying the attacks in my head. Yesterday morning, about 3 AM, I woke up and heard a noise in front of my apartment. I immediately thought, "plane--but there's not supposed to be any air traffic!" and rushed to the window, only to see a truck rambling down the road.

Fear, anger, despair, hatred--they are normal after what's happened. But we can't give in to them. If we do, the terrorists have brought us to their level.

Obi-Dan Kenobi
09-13-2001, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO

It may sound crass Obi-dan but if you feel the frustration brimming over you must take a step back and allow others to express their pain and frustration. You work in a job that is not known for gaining the respect of clientelle at the best of times. You are seen as the little guy to dump on. It's not personal, it's just the way it is. Try not to take it to heart. :)

Yeah, I agree totally. I was really amazed at how confrontational I was. She made some little comment that on any other day I would have brushed off, but instead I started arguing with her, and it got to the point that she just stopped talking to me. Luckily the other people at the table were nicer than they had to be, given my behavior, and still tipped me. Then the bartender was asking me to stay and cover the bar for him for a few hours, but I knew I needed to go home. I've actually started crying at random times the past few days. Last night I went to see Apples in Stereo and could barely get a couple beers down, because it made me feel sick. (This is something that is usually not a problem for me.:)) I was hardly able to enjoy the show. I don't think anything has ever affected me in quite the same way that this has. Let us all take a deep breath and try to remember that everyone else feels the same way that we do. I obviously forgot for a minute.