PDA

View Full Version : The people are lining up!

JEDIpartner
05-15-2002, 09:36 AM
I pass a very large cinema on my way into work and I saw a big tent out on the "cement commons" area. I dunno... this kinda stuff still embarasses me. Oh, well. I guess I'm not THAT fanatical.

Anyhow... a local radio station put banners up on the front windows of the lobby, so there is some sort of promotion going on with that. They may have been left from the "sneak preview" screening which may have been last night.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-15-2002, 10:54 AM
If you watched CNN this morning, they had a live report from people who have lined up in New York City. Some of the people had been in line for almost a month. As they cut to the reporter live and as she was chatting with the news personalities, a guy came up behind her and said "They're all a bunch of losers." They reporter then stated, "well, that is one opinion people have."

JEDIpartner
05-15-2002, 11:53 AM
I kinda got a bunch of looks from people here at work. I think they thought I would be dressed up today or something. Heck, I didn't even bother to take the day off tomorrow. It's really not that big of a deal for me. I think they are really getting to understand my limits of "fandom" here. However... if Celebration III is in Indianapolis again, as Original BryGuy stated, I might just go to that since it is going to be the last film ever.

JetsAndHeels
05-15-2002, 12:03 PM
The News and Observer here in Raleigh had an article on AOTC in today's edition. It gave AOTC 3 and a half stars!!
Also included was a timeline of the SW saga and a brief plot description of each movie. They said it was for "those who werent familiar with the story." Pretty cool.
As far as people lining up, no one here in NC in my area is because all the theaters here have sold advance tickets. I like it better this way because we dont have to spend valuable time waiting like we did in 99. I had a good time waiting then, but I could do alot more with 16 hrs than just sit and wait.

2-1B
05-15-2002, 12:53 PM
Today I heard a few reports of people lining up in the larger cities.

A morning DJ crew had a call in contest - the right numbered caller had the option of winning $100 cash or tickets to tonight's midnight screening. Some people actually took the tickets over the Benjamin. :D

InsaneJediGirl
05-15-2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by JangoFett96
The News and Observer here in Raleigh had an article on AOTC in today's edition. It gave AOTC 3 and a half stars!!
Also included was a timeline of the SW saga and a brief plot description of each movie. They said it was for "those who werent familiar with the story." Pretty cool.

Same review here in the Ocala Star Banner,JF96.The local critics liked the movie..but they did comment on a few slow spots.

As for lining up,I havent seen anyone here.The Orlando radio station did this promotion for V.I.P. tickets,where 4 fans dressed up and fought with plastic lightsabers for four hours this morning..Made for interesting...listening:D

bigbarada
05-15-2002, 01:51 PM
Caesar, how many tickets were they offering? If it was only two, then why not take the $100, buy two tickets and spend the rest on action figures?:stupid:

JEDIpartner
05-15-2002, 02:02 PM
Yeah!!! I would have taken the cash as well. Oh, who knows about some of these people? Well... the theatre I pass everyday has been selling the tickets for about a week and all the shows are sold out. These guys are just camped out to be first in line I guess. That or they didn't realise that all the tickets for tonight and tomorrow are sold out. :rolleyes:

Jonna
05-15-2002, 02:09 PM
Ha!!! That would be funny if they are waiting in line for tickets that are not even available. I mean I can understand waiting in line for a rare event, but to wait in line for days for something like a movie, that is going to be playes over and over again, seems abit like someone with very little else to do.

stillakid
05-15-2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
if Celebration III is in Indianapolis again, as Original BryGuy stated, I might just go to that since it is going to be the last film ever.

I hadn't thought of it that way. Maybe I'll go...hmm. I guess I've got a couple years to mull it over. Maybe we should start a poll to submit suggestions on where it should be held next time. Somewhere "starwarsy" like Marin County!

Mandalorian Candidat
05-15-2002, 03:35 PM
As I drove in to work/school this morning I passed the theater where the some people have been camping out since April. The CBS affiliate was out there with a bunch of people in costume in front of the tents. I kind of had to hang my head in shame. I hope people realize that not all SW fans are this nuts.

The longest I'll line up is two hours to get a good seat, not two months so people will throw water balloons and pee on my tent. :)

2-1B
05-15-2002, 04:28 PM
Indeed, I believe it was for 2 tickets.
I would grab the cash in an instant and see the movie all summer for free! :D

Vortex
05-15-2002, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by stillakid

I hadn't thought of it that way. Maybe I'll go...hmm. I guess I've got a couple years to mull it over. Maybe we should start a poll to submit suggestions on where it should be held next time. Somewhere "starwarsy" like Marin County!

I say Mr. Lucas should have it at Skywalker Ranch...do it up right with the man himself.

stillakid
05-15-2002, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by tjovonovich

I say Mr. Lucas should have it at Skywalker Ranch...do it up right with the man himself.

That occurred to me...for a second. Then I figured he wouldn't cotton to the idea of 50 thousand fans tearing up his lawn. Besides, there's nowhere to park out there.

Vortex
05-15-2002, 04:54 PM
Well its about time we have another massive people event for our generation.

I think its about time we pull a Woodstock and just show up at his place:) He's got what...a few hundred acres? What better way to show him how much we care, and want to say thanks for the memories.

2-1B
05-16-2002, 06:30 AM
We drove past the theater at 7pm, and 7 people were in line for seating. No need to get in line yet.
Checked back at 9:30, the number "swelled" to a dozen.
10:30, several dozen so we hopped in line. Not too bad of a wait, they opened the doors shortly after 11:30.
I'm glad we waited in line that hour, because we got to choose which screen to attend and by the time we were in, only the front 3 rows were available. We took the third row, which is a bit too close for my liking . . . but we were centered and that's what I preferred over distance.
:)

Vortex
05-16-2002, 09:32 AM
I bought my tickets on line for sunday afternoon and I know the place will be sold out, and I'll have to get there early to get a good seat.

I promised my folks I'd take them to see it. I wonder if I should get 2 Wheelchairs for the both of them, and they do have legit reasons for it. Dad-bad foot walks with a cane. Mom-knees are going. She's can't sit for long periods of time, and sometimes they just buckle. Then I can sit in the good seats with them...

If not, they are just going to have to hobble as fast as they can to get in and find a seat.

So caesar, what did you think about the flick.

stillakid
05-16-2002, 11:34 AM
I went to the midnight show last night. Got there about 10ish and the line was stretched around the theater with a ton of people inside as well. This was for 5 simultaneous showings, so it wasn't so bad once we got in. Didn't get the "center" seats but got into the center row of the stadium seating, so it all worked out. Got tickets for Sunday again. Will have to show up a little early.

JediTricks
05-16-2002, 11:05 PM
Went to the noon show at the Grauman's Chinese, got there at 10am and the line was HUGE, but it got way longer behind us by 11:23 when they started letting us in. Line was fairly mellow, but a fair assortment of costumed folks. There was a bunch of media, but it wasn't a "media circus" - maybe 4 or 5 different organizations.

stillakid
05-16-2002, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Went to the noon show at the Grauman's Chinese, got there at 10am and the line was HUGE, but it got way longer behind us by 11:23 when they started letting us in. Line was fairly mellow, but a fair assortment of costumed folks. There was a bunch of media, but it wasn't a "media circus" - maybe 4 or 5 different organizations.

A friend of mine was shooting there (one of the circus)!