PDA

View Full Version : Forum User AOTC Reviews.

bosskmr
05-15-2002, 09:48 AM
Well I was able to see Ep II last night at a showing for employees at a showcase north theater. (A friend of mine knows the manager and was able to get us in)

I'm not sure if I should be writing this or not for yesterday I went home sick from work and was not in the best condition while viewing this movie. But I have to say I had 3 strong feelings while watching this movie: boredom, anger and disappointment!!!!

I've read many reviews about this movie and find all of them both positive and negative true on both sides, it's hard to explain. I just don't understand how Lucus can do so much right with a film or character and at the same time totally screw things up.

Negative thing about Ep II:

1. The 1st hour is very slow and I have a bad feeling that kids may not get into this movie. By the time the action starts all the kids will either be asleep or driving everyone in the theater crazy out of their own boredom.

2. Cutting from scene to scene every couple of minutes. It seemed every few minutes the scenes were changing before you had a chance to soak in what was going on (or it could have been my illness taking over) The scenes also did not seem to mesh well and seemed rushed. For a 2hour and 15min movie it seemed rushed from beginning to end.

3. The love story

Not as bad as I thought it was going to be but this is not why I came to see Star Wars. My question is how come Han and Leia were able to develop a romance during action scenes and dramatic events (i.e. Han being put into carabonite) In Ep II we have to sit thru Ana/Pad going to Naboo and being in this uninteresting paradise in order to develop there feelings for one another....boring

4. Almost zero Aliens in the nightclub scene. OK I thought this would be one of those scenes that would make a good diorama. Nope this is no cantina or Jabba's Palace. Instead we get Adman Best whatever his name is...the guy who plays Jar Jar.

Well now on to the positive aspects of this movie

This is tough because by the time things really get going I had lost interest in this movie. Again it may have just been because I was tired and a little sick.

1. Jango Fett..Excellent fighting scenes however too damn short!!!!! He uses a bunch of different times of weapons while fighting and looks cool doing it.

2. The sonic boom weapon from Slave I.....this sound is freakin incredible

3. Basically the last hour or 45 minutes...this is why you came to see the movie. I could watch this part of the movie over and over again.

Now I know this review is rather negative but I still plain on seeing this a few more times. (When I'm not tired or sick)
But I think the reason this movie is getting mixed reviews really depends on how much you can endure this 1st half of this movie. It did not bother some people as much as it did others. And well if it bothers you, like it did me, you may find it difficult to enjoy the best parts of this movie out of anger, rage and boredom.

Remember the scene in Ep I towards the end when the doors opened up to have Darth Maul standing they’re waiting for the Jedi. The score kicks in and the best lightsaber battle ever starts. Well even after seeing Ep I 12 times in the theater, my hair on the back of my neck stood up and you new this is why you came to watch Ep I. Well I really can not recall a scene like that in Ep II, maybe the scene when Yoda enters is close.

I really think I need to see this movie a few times before I wrote this but I had to vent.

A few more items....Where the hell was Sidious?!? That was one of the things I liked about Ep I, Sidious plotting this and doing that. In Ep II we have to wait till the end to see him.

Also C-3PO was not that bad. I'll take him any day over Jar Jar.

Eternal Padawan
05-15-2002, 02:43 PM
Did you get the feeling that even the "Exciting" speeder chase kind of dragged?

Darth Nihilus
05-15-2002, 02:55 PM
This is a review I posted on another board so it is a bit vague in referencing specific scenes.

Star Wars Episode 2 - Attack of the Clones. My review (may contain spoilers)
Well I am fresh from my viewing of Star Wars Episode 2. I will try to give a review of the movie as spoiler free as possible but may need to refer to certain scenes of the movie to better illustrate what I did and didn't like about the movie. Afterall, I want everyone to know what it is they're going to see and whether or not it is a film for them.

Straight off the bat I will say this: I love this movie. Although I have yet to subject it to the same number of repeat viewings I have with both the original trilogy and The Phantom Menace (TPM), I have to say that from my own perspective this is the best movie in the series.

What did I love about it? Well firstly the fact that any fears I had about the film were dismissed almost entirely. The romantic aspect of the story, which many thought would be a rehash of the Han Solo/Princess Leia scenarios from both The Empire Strikes Back (ESB) and Return of the Jedi (ROTJ). This assumption is incorrect. The romantic sub-plot is paced well and is handled sensitively and intelligently as it is developed throughout the entire movie. It truly does fit within the context of the movie.

Another fear I had was of a particular duel between Dooku and a venerable Jedi. I thought it would be botched pretty badly. It was handled very well and came off believable. I know I'm being vague here but I'm trying not to spoil the movie. It is a classic battle that also has a great injection of humour.

Which leads me to my next preconception of the film - the humour. Like many others, I could not stomach the copious lashings of childish toilet humour and the overkill of the Jar Jar Binks character. Because there is no comic relief character in this film (though Threepio comes pretty close), each scene is not ruined by the unnecessary fumbling of a weak character or a juvenile sight gag. The one-liners are there but are reserved more for appropriate moments.

As for Jar Jar? It's common knowledge that his role in this film is greatly reduced but that is not the best thing about him in this film. The greatest thing about Jar Jar in this movie is that I actually cared about him. He serves a purpose in every scene he has and I felt sorry for him in the way he was manipulated in his last two scenes. I like Jar Jar in this film.

It wasn't only the disproved misconceptions that helped me enjoy Episode 2. The action sequences were excellent, providing for a lot of fun. There were also nods to Gladiator and Saving Private Ryan that also provided for some great visuals. The Arena Battle featuring the Jedi against the Battle Droids and Geonosians also deserves a mention.

It also helped, that the story actually followed an arc, for the most part. This was something that was sorely lacking in TPM. In TPM dialogue would get from point A to point D without necessarily passing through B and C. One example that sticks out in my mind is the dining scene where young Anakin volunteers to help Qui-Gon and co. The conversation seems to come to a point where everyone accepts that Anakin shouldn't help by entering the Podrace. Then suddenly with little segue he's in the race. This is not so bad with Episode 2, in fact I can't recall any truly offensive dialogue. This also helps the scenes move along at a smooth pace. It mainly makes sense. The only thing I didn't like was the Jedi Council sending Anakin off alone with Padme even though it's blatantly obvious he has a crush on her.

Hayden Christensen as Anakin was also a great piece of casting. He goes from charming to arrogant to vengeful quite fluidly. His outburst following the 'rescue' of his mother has some of the best direction and dialogue in the entire movie. You get to see the early vestiges of Darth vader. As Obi-Wan, Ewan MacGregor, whom I thought was stiff and wooden in TPM is fantastic as the at times exasperated Master Jedi. His delivery is much more fluid as he no longer sounds like he's forcing his lines out. Natalie Portman has dropped the faux Elizabethan dialect and also appears more relaxed in her role. The casting brings me though, to the most disappointing aspect of Attack of the Clones.

Christopher Lee, whom I thought would bring a creepy, old man persona to Count Dooku, seemed comical in his expressions and actions. Also the casting of young Boba Fett was extremely poor. The young Maori actor's accent was so thick that I laughed every time he uttered a line (Git him Did! instead of Get him Dad!).

Another gripe I have was with the CG environments. Even the lush surrounds of Naboo appeared too artificial, not too mention the waterlogged planet of Kamino which really looked poorly composited. I also didn't like the Looney Tunes style Droid factory on Geonesis.

Anyway, I thin of rambled on long enough and I hope I've given some people something to think about. I love this movie, its faults are few and far between and are far outweighed by its many positives. Watch and judge for yourself. If you want to know anything more specific than it's probably better to ask me over e-mail.

JEDIpartner
05-15-2002, 03:08 PM
Let me get this right... the movie was "so so", but you are planning on going to see it "A few times"? I don't care WHAT movie it is. If the film is "so so", I certainly wouldn't bother seeing it again. If it were a food you tried for the first time and it didn't strike you as being anything remarkable... would you keep ordering it everytime it was available? That's bizarre.

Anyhow... I have no expectations of this movie other than to be entertained. It's a fluff flick. It has no ulterior motives other than to be a fun and "pretty" time-killer. Maybe I'm wrong... maybe you should see the film at least ONCE more when in a better condition to see if your opinion changed.

bigbarada
05-15-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
Let me get this right... the movie was "so so", but you are planning on going to see it "A few times"? I don't care WHAT movie it is. If the film is "so so", I certainly wouldn't bother seeing it again. If it were a food you tried for the first time and it didn't strike you as being anything remarkable... would you keep ordering it everytime it was available? That's bizarre.

Anyhow... I have no expectations of this movie other than to be entertained. It's a fluff flick. It has no ulterior motives other than to be a fun and "pretty" time-killer. Maybe I'm wrong... maybe you should see the film at least ONCE more when in a better condition to see if your opinion changed.

I totally agree, this is not Shakespeare we are talking about (thank goodness). Thus I have no illusions of going to see an emotionally charged, thought provoking film. I think the mistake many are making is they are actually taking the movie seriously. You can't do that with a Star Wars film! It's a live-action cartoon.

JEDIpartner
05-15-2002, 03:22 PM
Oooh... I'm glad that someone else doesn't view this as a template for real life! Scaaaaarrrrrry. :happy:

pthfnder89
05-15-2002, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr

I agree about expecting an entertaining movie and nothing deeper than that, but even a so-so movie can have moments that bring you back again JEDIpartnr.

Take TPM for instance. Even most fans who know a very poor movie by most standards probably still bought the DVD, because there are still parts that we want to see again and again. Theres nothing bizarre about it. Now if someone HATED a movie and took the time to tell people he hated it and why, and he STILL went back to see it multiple times? THAT would be bizarre.

JEDIpartner
05-15-2002, 03:39 PM
well... sure. That's my point. Why spend $8 a pop to see "parts" of a film. Wait for it on DVD and chapter it to the parts you like and spend the $24.99 for it.

bosskmr
05-15-2002, 03:57 PM
"I have no expectations of this movie other than to be entertained"

The point is your hardly entertained!!!! Except for the fighting/battle scenes the movie is rather boring

I plan on seeing it again to see if I like it any better and also watch the last 45minutes

Also I was never expecting Shakespeare I was expecting to be ENTERTAINED.

While watching the 1st hour I kept waiting for the movie to get going and by the time it did an hour1/2 had already past.

manji
05-15-2002, 04:45 PM
I know everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion, so here is mine. I respectfully disagree with your "so-so" appraisal. This movie rocked! I was a naysayer along with many others after TPM, and held many reservations about this one. Let me just say that I was completely blown away! I've been keeping up with the reviews - love story this, acting that, pace is too fast, pace is too slow. Bah! I came out of this movie completely amazed. I hate to sound like a gushing overzealous fanboy, but I can't find enough words to describe the feeling in my stomach after the credits rolled! I know others will disagree, and this movie will be completely dissected from beginning to end, but none of the detractors can take away the surge of emotions I felt throughout AOTC. Enjoy!

bosskmr
05-15-2002, 05:59 PM
Well I'll be seeing the moive again tomorrow and I hope i come out with a different veiw of it.

I'm really have a hard time believing that you we not in the least bit board during parts of the beginning of this film

Beast
05-15-2002, 08:46 PM
You were probably bored, because you were sick bosskmr. The first hour of the film, while not as action paced as the last hour+ does have alot to keep you entertained. The assassination attempt on the landing pad, the attempt in Padme's bedroom, and the chase thru Coruscant for starters! :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Eternal Padawan
05-15-2002, 10:14 PM
I am wondering bosskmr, did you read alot of spoilers before you saw the film. Knowing something is coming may contribute to it seeming lackluster when you see it in order on screen. I know there were a lot of moments I glossed over mentally because I had read the novel and screenplay, and my mind was thinking "Hey! They skipped a scene!" rather than enjoying the film as a film unto itself. I was also trying to analyze every bit of it in terms of acting and set design and waiting for some new smidin of information concerning other movies in the saga. I did that with TPM the first night I watched it , too. It's one of the reasons I want to be a spoiler virgin for Episode III. After I sit down and watch it a few more times, I think I'll be able to appreciate for what it is. I think you could do the same.

bosskmr
05-15-2002, 10:30 PM
I woke up this morning after having seen the film Tuesday night well...depressed. I'm getting really ****ed that I did not enjoy the film as much as I really wanted to. And as much as everyone else has seemed to enjoy it

I read the novel for both Ep I and 2 before seeing the movie. I really enjoyed ep I when it came out in 99...well except for Jar Jar. So I don't think reading the book affected me much with Ep I

However you may be on to something there Eternal Padawan as far as Ep II goes. The novel had a lot of the Fett's and the father/son relationship which was definately lacking in the movie. Also what happened to the Mace/Obi Wan talk at the Jedi starfighter before Obi took off on his mission....i think they even filmed that scene. I guess I'll have to wait for the DVD.

"You were probably bored, because you were sick bosskmr" I hope your right with this...well I'll find out tomorrw morning when I take my wife to see the film

Darth Nihilus
05-15-2002, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
You were probably bored, because you were sick bosskmr. The first hour of the film, while not as action paced as the last hour+ does have alot to keep you entertained. The assassination attempt on the landing pad, the attempt in Padme's bedroom, and the chase thru Coruscant for starters! :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

That's pretty much the first fifteen minutes. After that we get the narrative which sets up the Clones conspiracy and Anakin's/Padme's relationship. But it still didn't bother me - you can check out my thoughts above.

2-1B
05-16-2002, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
I am wondering bosskmr, did you read alot of spoilers before you saw the film. Knowing something is coming may contribute to it seeming lackluster when you see it in order on screen. I know there were a lot of moments I glossed over mentally because I had read the novel and screenplay, and my mind was thinking "Hey! They skipped a scene!" rather than enjoying the film as a film unto itself. I was also trying to analyze every bit of it in terms of acting and set design and waiting for some new smidin of information concerning other movies in the saga. I did that with TPM the first night I watched it , too. It's one of the reasons I want to be a spoiler virgin for Episode III. After I sit down and watch it a few more times, I think I'll be able to appreciate for what it is. I think you could do the same.

I couldn't agree with you more. :) In the movie, events just keep flying by, whilst during the past few years I would just stare for several moments at individual shots and ponder them. The trailers I watched again and again, and knowing the plotline I found myself skipping ahead "knowing" what was next. All the interaction between the Lars clan in the novel yet the scenes just zip past on screen.

I guess for a general review I feel the movie just moved by so quickly, before I knew it the arena was in full swing and it was just a matter of moments before we hit the saber battles and finished up. It feels like the kind of movie I'll be able to watch over a period of 2 hours and at the end it'll feel like an hour. I like that, it's exciting.

Was the acting bad? Maybe at times, but I enjoyed it for the most part.

Was the romance contrived? Sure was, but I think it had a safety net of sorts built in. Anakin clearly was obsessed, so half of it was there for me. But I kinda felt that Padme needed to be "convinced" just as the audience needed to as well. And I bought into it. :) Certainly not an orthodox whirlwind romance, but I was into it. Call me crazy :crazed:

Ahh, the romance might be clunky but I thought there was some real emotion in Anakin. The kiss of his mother's palm was so touching to me, and his words at her grave were heartfelt.

When some people claimed Shmi did a "flop" as she died, they realllllly had me going. :D I expected a body flop but instead it was just a head flop . . . I can't complain.

Eternal Padawan
05-16-2002, 05:57 AM
That flop still kind of annoys me. I saw it(the movie, not the head flop) again tonight when I worked. I liked it (the movie, not the head flop) much more the second time. It (the movi..I'll stop now..) seemed to fit together much better for me.

The other cool event of the evening was the guy that won the Costume contest at Celebration II came to my theatre. I guess he lives in the area. He came dressed up like Han and the mall rent-a-cops confiscated his blaster and gave it to us at the theatre to give back to him after the show. So I chatted with him after the movie. Nice guy. I also got recognized by another guy who saw me ask R2-D2 a question at C2. He came in and said "I saw you at CelebrationII! You asked a question!" All these Star Wars fans in Iowa City and I didn't even know it...

2-1B
05-16-2002, 06:06 AM
What about Corde's flop? :D

Are they going to release any documentaries on these fan celebrations? I think it would be cool down the road to archive them. Do share your R2 question, please! :)

Back to more reviewing -
Boring? Not to me, I do understand that some scenes were slower than others, but I enjoyed that. Like I said earlier, the thing was going so fast that it was nice to catch a breath so to speak.
But I can't say I was bored at all, even during that Threepio upgrade scene. And yes Eternal Padawan, CGI 3P0 was not pleasant.
Speaking of CGI, I didn't think the Reek and Shaak were too bad, better than Threeps of course. Yoda was teriffic in my estimation, while Dexter was more noticeably CGI than Watto. I do like Dexter, nice to finally hear his voice.

Darth Nihilus
05-16-2002, 09:44 AM
I truly thought that Lucas, better than in the other films, was able to capture a sense of emotion. Anakin's grieving, his outburst after the massacre and Padme's confession near the end.

And my favourite one-liner from the film - "Die Jedi dogs! Wait, what am I saying?"

Darth_Vince
05-16-2002, 03:11 PM
Hey ppl,

okay... I have to say it. I confess myself disappointed with AOTC. Sorry to say it, but it's true. I seriously consider this installment the worst SW part to date.

First of all, what's up with all the CGI stuff? Unlike others, I had no problem with this stuff in TPM, but *this* is frankly too much! There is a fine line between "detail" and "overkill" - and with all those CGI-backgrounds, Lucas clearly crossed the line.
He should've concentrated on making some specific scenes (e.g. Anakin "surfing" that beast on Naboo, or the ocean of Kamino) better instead of doing all that...

Secondly, I really *loathed* the AOTC soundtrack and its use in the movie. The only good new stuff was the love theme, which was given a grand total of ca. 1 minute to unfold... Apart from that and a few -- *very* few -- good classical themes, there really was nothing striking to be found at all... Very sad, IMO.
Also, I just can't get over how so many potentially great scenes were neglected, music-wise. What about the Coruscant chase, the arena battle, or the lightsaber duel? Nothing there, folks...

It gets even worse though... Where, I'm asking you, is the strong villain in this story? The OT has Vader, LOTR has Sauron and Harry Potter has Voldemort, but AOTC has *nobody*!
Jango? Give a me a break! All he really gets to do is face Obi-Wan in a three-minute fight. The next time he turns up the heat, his head goes flying and that's it! No strong villain here!
What about Dooku, though? Yeah, he had the potential. Great actor, great character, great powers. *But*... the head villain should've shown up before the last quarter of the movie! Hope he gets a bigger role in Episode III...

Next up, the battle scenes. No, I wasn't happy with those either. The fight in the droid factory was just too quick to be grasped properly. In comparism to previous battles, the one in the arena was just *one big mess*, and the Jedi duel was simply way too short.
On a sidenote, why did they have to ruin the cutting of Anakin's arm? I mean, in ESB, Luke losing his hand was a huge shocker - and now, Anakin loses his arm from the elbow down, and all we get is a little "umph"?!
No music in this one, either...

Besides, the German dubbing plainly sucked... The voices sounded odd, people spoke too fast and delivered major lines in a pretty pathetic fashion. Of course, I can't blame Lucas for that, but it still was worth noting...

Sorry to be so negative, but I had to get this off my chest... Didn't mean to spoil it for any of you... Sorry... :cry:

2-1B
05-16-2002, 03:35 PM
Don't be sorry for not liking it! :D
I hope you give it a try in English, maybe the voices will work better for you? I'm not saying that they will, but it's possible. I like Hayden and Ewan's voices, but that's just my personal opinion.
Hopefully Episode III will be exciting to you. :(

Pendo
05-16-2002, 05:19 PM
ICANNOTTYPEBECAUSEIAMSTILLSHAKINGFROMALLTHEEXCITEM ENT

TRANSLATION: I CANNOT TYPE BECAUSE I AM STILL SHAKING FROM THE EXCITEMENT

I'm still pretty exhausted so I'll type a propper review tomorrow but here's some quick thoughts of mine:
I don't care wether you liked it or not, I LOVED this movie and it's my 3rd favourite in the series (yes I think it's better than Return of the Jedi). Maybe with a few more viewings it might chage my oppinion but for now it's up there with the classics.
The story was excellent, and action was thrilling, and the love was...erm...cheasy (but WHO CARES :D).
I know that most of you think Natalie's acting was "flat" but I'm not putting it down to that, I just think that Senator Amidala is a flat person :).
I enjoyed every second of the film, I watched every second with my mouth wide open. My throat was so dry after it, but I didn't care.
The CGI wasn't as crap as I thought it would be, but I'm still not a fan of it.
The acting was bad at parts but for the most of it it was top notch, Ewan IS Obi-Wan Kenobi. Christopher Lee is an excelent Sith Lord.
Yoda IS the master!
I was dissapointed with the Jango vs. Mace fight, I thought it would be alot more than that.
Anakin's description of killing the Tuskens really sent shivers up my spine. I loved the way the Imperial March kicked in then.
My overall rating is:
9/10

PENDO!

JediTricks
05-17-2002, 12:35 AM
I am going to reserve final judgement for another viewing, but my initial feelings were that the film was hollow and boring. The first hour is paced so badly that this, combined with the bland expositional dialogue, overshadowed the good stuff. I spent most of the time thinking of ways I could have sped up shots rather than really feeling like I was in the moment. Few elements clicked for me, I didn't feel "the magic".

But, I will go back for more to better filter my feelings.

Darth Nihilus
05-17-2002, 11:34 AM
Well that's the thing - I've only watched it once thus far, not the average of twenty that I've watched the others. After that amount of repeat viewings I'll get a better understanding of how much I like this film.

c_richards
05-17-2002, 12:05 PM
I didn't see a thread like this, so I figured I would start one. :)

Please share your opinions of Episode II, both good and bad!

I thought AOTC rocked. I loved it!

I do have to say that the Arena Scenes were very reminiscent of Gladiator, with the "chariot" and Anakin, Padme, Obi-Wan, and other Jedi's doing their versions of Maximus!

The Nexu (creature that went after Padme), The Reek (Anakin's creature) and the other one (name escapes me at the moment) were cool alien "Tigers". :)

I thought the Battle Scenes on Geonosis were very reminiscent of movies like Apocalypse Now or Platoon. When I saw the Gunships come in, and the Clones jump out, guns blazing, it reminded me of the Vietnam films. Seeing the Gunships replacing the Hueys, Troopers in the doors providing cover fire for the Jedi, and the other troopers just reminded me of these films.

I can see that Lucas drew from a lot of various sources to create this film, and his version does not detract from the works it was inspired from!

I thought Yoda's Battle with Dooku was top notch! Seeing Yoda actually flip, duel and fight as he did was a great move! It was obvious that both he and Dooku were masters of the Jedi Arts, and excelled in the Martial Arts Form known as Teras Kasi.

It was also very ironic to see Ani's transformation begin almost the same way as Luke's. Granted, Ani lost his arm, while Luke lost his hand, but the fact that it was the same arm (left) and it happened durring a battle with a Sith Lord, and both had cybernetic replacements, made the connection between both stronger than it was already!

I would give this film a 10+++++ but let's face it, I am a STAR WARS nut! :)

I do have one question that hopefully someone reading this post can help me with. Is there a continuity error or a major contradiction? In ESB, Ben's spirit comes to Luke on Hoth and says Luke must go to Degobah to learn from Yoda. In the scene, the line is uttered, "There you will see Yoda, the Jedi Master that instructed me!"

How can this be? Qui-Gon was Obi-Wan's Master, not Yoda. Is this something that Lucas did by accident? Or is this a major error? Just curious.

MTFBWY!

greedo
05-17-2002, 12:10 PM
When I saw TPM, I walked away disappointed, the second viewing of TPM, I enjoyed it more but still wasn't too impressed. Can't stand Jar Jar and the little kid, bad actor.

I went to AOTC expecting to be let down a little with Yoda being CGI, and a love story and all. I have to admit, I was blown away from start to finish. From the first note of the Star Wars theme, which sends chills down my spine everytime, to the end. I left upset because I have to wait 3 years for the next one.

It starts with a bang, literally, and is go go go from there on. Ok, the rolling in the fields with Ani and Pad were a little much, I was expecting the theme for the sound of music to kick in...otherwise excellent.

I feel this movie restored my child-like excitement which I had back in the 70's, TPM didn't do it for me but this one....amazing.
If this was a love story, can't wait to see how EPIII will be, considering it is suppose to be dark and evil. I found ATOC quite violent..surprising. Blown up ships to body parts flying off, really caught me off guard.

I loved this one, wife did too, she actually will see it again, and she isn't a huge fan like I am, that has to tell you something.

Best one yet, except ESB...and ANH of course.

greedo
05-17-2002, 12:43 PM
He couldn't send Luke to Qui-Gon, he is dead already.....

Yoda had a hand in teaching them all by the looks of things, he was instruting the new young ones in ATOC. He probably taught them all when they were young until a certain age, then they were teamed up with an older master. Didn't Yoda pick up were Qui-Gon left off in TPM....??

c_richards
05-17-2002, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by greedo
He couldn't send Luke to Qui-Gon, he is dead already.....

Yoda had a hand in teaching them all by the looks of things, he was instruting the new young ones in ATOC. He probably taught them all when they were young until a certain age, then they were teamed up with an older master. Didn't Yoda pick up were Qui-Gon left off in TPM....??

Greedo-
I think you may have missed what I was trying to ask. What I meant was How can Yoda be Obi-Wan's Master, when in Episode I, Qui-Gon said numerous times Obi-Wan was his Padawan? I think after Qui-Gon was killed, Obi-Wan was given the title of Jedi Knight for defeating Maul, and I guess Passing the trials!

I have no idea, it just struck me as odd and I wondered if this could be an error? :)

greedo
05-17-2002, 02:19 PM
I'm not sure either, maybe it was just an over sight.

Jedi Clint
05-17-2002, 02:28 PM
"There you will learn from Yoda, the Jedi Master who instructed me." Yoda teaches all the Younglings.....including Obi Wan Kenobi.

c_richards
05-17-2002, 02:40 PM
Ok coolness...
Thanks Jedi Clint!

I was thinking that's what the deal was, but I wanted to double check.....

My mind is still recovering from Last night! :)

I was the only one in my showing to bring a lightsaber, but started a lot of the applause, and cheering for certain areas! :)

greedo
05-17-2002, 03:19 PM
That is what I said....

c_richards
05-17-2002, 04:04 PM
Sorry Greedo.....

I must have read it wrong! :)

PloKoon2385
05-18-2002, 01:22 AM
Several things:
1. This movie is one of the best yet! Awesome!
2. If Plo Koon died, I will never see this movie again.
3. Who was on the gunship with Mace?
4. Did anyone else find C-3P0 extremely distracting and annoying in the arena scene when he is connected to the battle droid body? That really bothered me, kinda dumb.
5. Why didn't Yoda throw the pillar into Dooku's ship? Also, if he can lift an X-Wing with ease, shouldn't the pillar have been really easy?
6. Did anyone think it was odd and sad that the second new Council member, (besides Shaak Ti) got killed by Jango Fett after trying to confront Dooku? He should have been able to see Jango there.
7. I believe that Plo Koon, Ki-Adi Mundi, Yoda, Mace, Obi-Wan and Anakin are the only sure survivors. However, someone besides Mace MUST have survived the assault with the clone troopers.

yaddle yodas love pu
05-18-2002, 09:28 PM
I must be the only one here, who feels this way, but I was really dissapointed with E2. It had no plot, no story, even less character development than E1. The action scenes were really short and choppy. There were no intersting, original or clever action scense (except for Yodas lightsaber battle which was admittedly very cool). The villians (just like in E1) were extremely underuitilized. I think Jango Fett had less screen time and barely a few more words of dialoge than Maul had in E1. Nothing interesting exciting or unusual happened. Nothing made sence -- e.g. who were the villians and why were they doing what they were doing? Also the Jedi arena battle was so short that it was very weak. The final duel with Obi & Ani & Duku was like 30 seconds long and really weak and the clonetrooper army did not get developed very much. What a lame movie. Mostly it was just like watching a jumble of choppy video game clips.

DeadEye
05-18-2002, 09:31 PM
Well...you're wrong...but still entitled to your opinions. ;)

JediDan
05-18-2002, 10:27 PM
The only thing I can agree with you on is that yes the lightsaber battle was WAY WAY WAY too short. I would love to see more lightsaber battles, and the final saber battle would be nice if it was much longer.

chewie
05-18-2002, 10:46 PM
No plot or story? The whole movie was all about the investigation into the assassination attempt on Padme, which led up to the following events such as finding out about how close to war the seperatists were and the discovery of the clone army and subsequent Clone War, which definitely played into the history of Star Wars.

die-jarjar-die
05-18-2002, 10:58 PM
Im sorry you felt so let down by the movie! I thoroughly enjoyed it! It offered something new to the Star Wars saga, gave us an insight into the machinations of the Republics demise & an even more astounding revelation of the Jedi losing their ability to use the Force, a secret which will no doubt be used against the Jedi & could conceivably turn the general populace of the ENTIRE galaxy against them. Yoda states in AOTC "deceit, lies" in refernce to Count Dooku's claims that Darth Sidious is controlling the Senate, my initial reaction to this statement was "but aren't the Jedi doing exactly the same thing?". By covering up their failings in the Force they are going to ultimately be held responsible for 1) The republics fall & 2) the Clone Wars actually occuring! Amazing stuff!

I felt that AOTC gave fans what they had been yearning for & more besides. IMO it completely made up for the short givings that TPM represented!

darth chuck
05-18-2002, 11:12 PM
I felt that the plot was a little underdeveloped. Don't get me wrong, I loved the movie, but I think maybe Lucas had to cover too much ground to tie Ep I and Ep III. So much happened in Ep II, it was really about two movies worth of material packed into one.

die-jarjar-die
05-18-2002, 11:22 PM
i believe that Kit Fisto & Ki Adi Mundi were the only jedi shown on the Gunship with Mace Windu........

As for Yoda struggling with the tower as opposed to lifting the X-Wing with apparant ease..Well my only thoughts can be...In ESB has he just had an awesome tense testing of his Jedi powers? Nope, hes just sat around watching Luke sweat some!

bosskmr
05-19-2002, 12:04 AM
". Did anyone think it was odd and sad that the second new Council member, (besides Shaak Ti) got killed by Jango Fett after trying to confront Dooku? He should have been able to see Jango there. "

Are you serious??? that was one of the best parts of the movie...serve the jedi right!!!

The Overlord Returns
05-19-2002, 03:13 PM
Well.....time to chime in......

I ofcourse caught a midnight showing of AOTC.....and quite frankly....I loved it!

This was a great star wars picture........filled with action, excitement, and interesting story developments.

Now, that being said, I do have some problems with it.

The Bad:

1. The love story. Completely tedious, and laugh inspiring. The dialogue was disgustingly bad, and neither hayden or portman had the chops to pull it off. Thankfully, save for one scene....they were fairly short moments.

2. The grandness. One gets the feeling that Lucas was trying to cram too much into the film. While many scenes were incredible, some were rushed, hurried along (shmi's death, anakins arm etc).
The love scenes should have been fewer in number....so as to give time to larger story points.

3. Jar Jar's fate. This was clear pandering, making jar jar the scapegoat for the rise of the empire. I actually feel bad for the poor gungan.

The Good

1. Anakins dark side flashes. I bought these totally. Hayden seemed to do well with this stuff. I also loved the scene between him and palpatine. showing the secret confidence they already have.

2. Obi wans detective scenes. They really used ewan well this time around.

3. The fall of the jedi. They laid many hints at how the jedi were becoming useless, over confident. It's understandable how they can't see the dark side taking over.

4. Dooku/ Obi scene. Classic star wars.....

5. The arena battle. I found it incredible. Mace gets the coolest line in the movie. Ofcourse, there was the annoying three pio bits...but oh well.

6. The clone troopers. Just damn cool. One question though, how do they go from this cool to the lameness of stormtroopers?

7. Yoda. Yoda rocks! This is his movie, and he owns it!!

I'm going to have to go see this film many more times....but I wanted a bit of a break to take it all in. It's so much.....just immense.

Wookiee
05-20-2002, 09:36 AM
Padme piloting a Naboo fighter. I like that she knows how to fly a fighter.

C3PO's line about a "Message from Obi Wan Kenobi" reminicent of the "Message for Obi Wan Kenobi" line

The Hyperspace ring for the Jedi Starfighter. which was a pretty cool ship to begin with. Great scene with Slave I too.

Obi Wan jumping through window after Zam's robot. Very cool and unexpected.

Shot of Anakin talking to Jawa's. I liked this quick scene, no dialog necessary. A lot of scenes in the movie could have been handled this way.

The Death Star plans. yeah! look out!

Yoda fight scene. what can I say, it was awesome. and too short! I loved when he took Dooku's blue energy bolts and crumpled them up in his hand like a piece of paper.

Wookiee
05-20-2002, 11:10 AM
C3PO swinging around like spiderman. Someone earlier in this thread had a great post that mirrored my feelings on this well. He's a clunky awkward robot, I felt my powers to suspend disbelief were really pushed there.

The Conveyor belt scene in general. Looked very Nintendo-y. Like they were in a video game fighting whatever came along next in order. The R2 rockets didn't bother me too much, infact I think it's kinda cool, but they could have been revealed in a better way, maybe a more interesting scene. It wasn't really clear to me what was going on with Anakin's arm under that sheet of metal either. strange? and what did he do to finally get it loose?

Shmi death scene. very quick and not very emotional for me. Shmi was played by a great actress who wasn't really given a chance to act.

The whole Love story could have been told in less time. quicker scenes, less dialog, more acting. Maybe just some shots of the two of them walking or looking at each other, not so much talking.

iain rockford
05-20-2002, 11:13 AM
here is what i say to those people who keep knocking a great film and a great character (jango fett) about getting his head chopped off. ok there was some hammy acting in places but all in all it was alot better than episode 1 and had some great action scenes.

Jango rocks

I think Jango done a pretty good job considering he was messing with jedi and not cantina scum aliens his normal bountys ill wager, and mace windu is one of the toughest there is also I think his jetpack got damaged when he got trampled hence he tried to keep backing up and firing but mace windu deflected his shots and choped his head off with his quick reactions end of story or he would of flown off wouldn't you!

I hope that cleared it up

a true star wars fan!

The Overlord Returns
05-20-2002, 11:31 AM
R2's rockets were actually supposed to appear in tpm....but were cut out. You can see the deleted scene in the dvd version....I think.

Rouge Leader
05-21-2002, 09:19 AM
To all members,

I think AOTC was entertaining, but it was not as good as it could have been. First, let me state the things I liked.

1. Chase through Coruscant. Simply amazing. I felt a sense of speed when they were winyding their way through traffic, structure, and anything else that came in their way.

2. Role of Obi-Wan as a dectective. This was pretty cool. It allowed the story to move along faster then when the love scenes on Naboo were going on. Personally I think Ewan McGregor's was the best character in the movie. He seemed very much like Alec Guiness, both in speech and action.

3. It was cool to see the Jedi Council, particulary Yoda and Mace got screen time. I really liked how Yoda had much more dialogue and was involved in the action both as leader and fighter. The duel with Dooku was really cool, but it could have been a little longer.

Things I didn't like.

1. Anakin/Obi-Wan duel with Dooku was lame. How do you fight for less then 2 minutes and don't do anything spectacular. All the duels in the orginal trilogy and episode I had a sense of urgency and wonder. Would characters survive and what types of techniques would they use to achieve victory were both essentially parts to a good duel. The only thing that I thought was cool during the duel was when Anakin and Dooku were fighting and you could see the reflections of their faces and appearences in the lightsabres. It just seemed to go by way to quickly.

2. C-3PO was stupid. His comments during the arena battle were atrocious. At least in the original trilogy when he made dumb comments they were at the right times. Here he just seemed to be all over the place.

3. Jango and Boba Fett were underused. I just thought they could have been in it longer. I didn't like Jango Fett being killed off so quickly during the arena battle, but the way Mace did it was really cool.

4. Anakin's murdering of the Tusken Raiders was not used well. First off, he is able to sneak it camp, cool. He gets to his mother, she dies a few seconds later, good. Next thing, he's out killing people! At least he should have been captured, then escaped and killed Tuskens for his survival/revenge for the death of his mother. I guess they did it this way to show more of his willingness/turn to the Dark Side.

Many of my complaints are quite small. I think the fact that I was sitting on the first row, 4 seats from the end of the row kind of messed up my experience of watching the film. I had to continually watch the film by moving my head side to side to see the image properly. I hope to revisit the film in a week or two to take in all that I missed. As for the book, I think it is better. My rating of the film would be 2.5 stars out of 4. It succeeds at being a highly entertaining film like those of episodes 4-6, but it doesn't come close of attaining the sense of innocence, danger, and adventure as ANH and ESB. Let me know what you guys think.

My ranking of the films:

1. ANH
2. ESB
3. AOTC *AOTC and ROTJ are equel in many respects
4. ROTJ
5. TPM

Peter-Rouge Leader

hango fett
05-21-2002, 09:41 AM
i disagree with your list. AOTC is the best yet in my opinoin. but i'm not saying that you should like it, it's just that i think you thought about it too much. i agree that some parts need work and may be fixed in the dvd. i think you will like the dvd version better....just wait.

Man In The Box
05-22-2002, 01:45 PM
The movie was pretty damn good. The only thing I didnt like about it was the end scences happened way too fast. First the jeids come to rescue and than the clones and well those scenes were rad awesome anyway. Unfouritnatly Jango Fett has joind the Maul-Fett club where a cool character dies too easily. Some of C-3pos one liners were unbarable.

Now as you know the acting in a SW movie not brillant most of the time, it's not suppused to be. But in Episode I it was wooden like almost all the time. Here the characters start showing more personalty. Christopher Lee was awesome as count Dooku.

The special effects were beyong awesome, it was whoa this and whoa that every two minutes.

maulreborn
05-24-2002, 06:27 PM
1 .- Scenes in the film like the Zam Wessel pursuit or Obi-Wan vs Jango Fett are cool and also the beasts from the Arena, but if you put together all the scenes they dont have cohesion.

2 .- The final lighsaber duel is the worst of all we have seen on the entire saga. Yoda is the better of the poor duel. I miss Maul

3.- I was expecting more about the Jedi Final battle , is very, very linear. The Ploo Koon & Ki Adi Mundi cut footage should be inserted on the film.

4.- The mechanic hand of Anakin by the end of the Movie, really, really sucks!!

5.- AOTC is a very sad moment for all Star Wars fans in Spain.

Our deception with Lucas is great!!

jjreason
05-24-2002, 07:10 PM
Sorry, I should have refuted your arguments in the last post. The hand is very representative of how Anakin will look when he becomes Darth Vader. This happened some time before the end of ESB so when compared to Luke's prosthesis it shows how technology advances even a long time ago, in that galaxy far far away. All you mention is complaints about the action sequences. Didn't you like the story?
The final battle on Geonosis is the best combat action since (and possibly including) Hoth. What more do you want? If you care so much about those fringe characters, keep playing "Jedi Force Battles" or whatever on Playstation. The movie was linear, I don't know why you say the scenes didn't have cohesion. One scene led logically into the next as far as Im concerned. One of the great things about Star Wars is how Lucas (and previously Kirschner and Marquand) keep the visuals fresh by using many varied landscapes environments. This breaks up the look of the movie, possibly leading you to your conclusion??
Sorry to the Spaniards, but nearly everyone else (I've spoken to) thought it was great.

Darth_Stevious
05-27-2002, 05:01 PM
First I want to say that I enjoyed AOTC very much. It was a very fun and entertaining movie with a lot of action and some very memorable moments. The fight in the asteroid belt between Obi-Wan and Jango Fett was awsome. The arena battle and the final confrontation with Dooku were great. And what can I say about Yoda?! That kicked some serious butt!
This being said I have to say that AOTC also had some serious flaws that kept it from being the movie that it could have been. The diolugue was hokey in many places and some of the acting was way bellow the abilities of the actor (especially Natalie Portman). Most of the flaws could have been corrected with a little better direction. A perfect case in point is when Padme fell of the gunship. We see her laying on the ground moaning in pain one moment and then jumping up like nothing ever happened the next. That scene could have been re-done and made much better very easily. That is just poor directing IMHO. Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of George Lucas. Without him none of us would have Star Wars to talk about at all! ;) I just think that George Lucas is a much better story teller than he is a director.

Jedi Clint
05-27-2002, 05:18 PM
Padme was coming out of being knocked loopy before the Clone came up to her. She didn't "jump up", she staggered up. It seemed that he timed Anakin's painful experience with her "waking up". I believe it was to show a deep spiritual bond had formed between the two.

bandontherun
05-27-2002, 08:54 PM
Finally saw it today...excellent! Yoda fighting...great. My favorite part: when all the Jedi come to fight. Great film. Much better than PM.

chewie
05-27-2002, 09:50 PM
I place AotC above TPM and RotJ.

This movie was even more of a special effects showcase than TPM was, which is a good and bad thing. Good because it shows just how cool looking the SW universe can be. Bad because all the glitz and glamour remove time for building the story. The cut scenes that explained Dooku leaving the jedi order and the trial of Padme would have been a good addition to the movie in place of a few extra scenes of droids shooting their blasters (Does this make 1 million scenes of droids with blasters in the prequel trilogy? :) ).

Anyway. Obi-Wan's portrayal was far less wooden and much more energetic this time around. The rest of the characters still were terribly stiffly acted though. Ian's Palpatine was very well done. So incredulous with his words, yet so sincere at the same time.

I can't really add much more to what has been liked and disliked about the movie, so I don't need to bother with a long, detailed review.

I did notice several things....

Jango is a big wuss. He flies away from Obi-Wan and hides behind a column from him, and then he gets killed by Mace in only a few seconds. A villian, but not a super villian that oozed "cool". Maul and Dooku oozed cool, not Jango.

Dooku is awesome, but had a terribly low amount of screentime. The movie would have been even better in my mind if Dooku had more screentime. Apparently becoming a sith does help a jedi with limited life expectancy equal or at least nearly equal the powers of a jedi who has lived 800 some years and fully mastered the force as a result of that life span. Shooting force lightning willy-nilly at Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Yoda was a great sight to see. Luv them sith I tell ya. Dooku definitely raised the bar on sith coolness and trounced Maul with his rapier wit and skill.

One last thing.....
If this trilogy is to be watched BEFORE the original trilogy, why then, does the "shock" of Anakin getting his entire arm sliced off come only with a dull "ungh!" by Anakin, and a music sting that happens well after Dooku force pushes Anakin away? Seems odd to me that this wouldn't be as "big" a moment as Luke getting his hand cut off with the giant roar of emotion that followed. Almost as if this trilogy is indeed supposed to be watched AFTER you watch the older one.

Jedi Clint
05-27-2002, 11:02 PM
I've read a few interviews with Lucas where he mentioned that he intends for the saga to be watched in numerical order. No one is going to force you to though.

jjreason
05-28-2002, 01:54 AM
Quote: "Jango is a big wuss". Funny stuff, and I think an important assessment. He can't keep up with Jedi, that's for sure. I think Jango was picked to be the basis for the clones for a number of reasons. Were I looking for lackies, they'd better:

Be good fighters. Check.
Be good pilots. Check.
Be somewhat weak minded so that "breaking them in" to being controlled by the force isn't impossible. The jury's out on this one. Jango sure did look cool, but he couldn't handle Obi Wan for long so he ran and hid and depended on superior firepower to keep from being arrested. Then he lost to Mace Windu in somewhat lacklustre fashion.

Brave Sir Robin
05-29-2002, 04:45 PM
Just curious.

billfremore
05-29-2002, 04:48 PM
I know I didn't, but some friends of friends thought it was "a snoozefest".

They really liked Legally Blonde, so I take it from where it's coming from ;)

jjreason
05-29-2002, 05:03 PM
The big complaint Ive been hearing is "the first hour was boring". Not to me, but hey. It doesn't move like the last hour that's for sure.
Quick edit: Im a Padawan! Could anyone explain to me how to get a custom avatar? PM me if you know how, please. Oh, and Im still figuring out the "right" mouse button,(not that bad, but close) so I need specific help. Thanks!

DarthBrandon
05-29-2002, 05:06 PM
Loved it or leave Tommy, that's a quote from BOTFOJ.
I loved it, seen it four times. Most who didn't are not really into Sci-fi.

Laserbrain
05-29-2002, 05:13 PM
I just sat there, munching my popcorn....watching the sights, hearing the sounds....drinking it all in....aaaaaaaaahhh.....

Bosskman
05-29-2002, 06:36 PM
I didn't think the first hour was boring, but it was pretty draw out compared to the last half. That doesn't mean I didn't absolutely love the whole film, but only that, once Anakin finds Schmi, I think "Well there's not much left of the movie now" (after reading the book), only to find that I'm on the edge of my seat once he kills the Tuskens and it just keeps building and gaining momentum from there. The complete and utter coolness of Geonosis, YODA, the clone battle, the arena beasts, the death of Jango, YODA, the revelations of Dooku and Yoda, ye olde Death Star plans, YODA, the droid foundry, the senate scenes, YODA, the second half of the movie literally leaves me forgetting chunks of the first half every time I leave the theatre. I've seen AOTC 5 times now and I plan on seeing it at least 5 more. There's al;ways more to see. Last time I actually found R3-T7 waaay in the background beside some red dress lady, near the top of the screen outside the nightclub. I LOVE this movie. It's the best SW ever. It exceeded my huge expectations. I love it! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!

Master Goeweins
05-29-2002, 09:48 PM
I went to the midnight release and
what an incredible movie! Awesome!
Even though I wanted to love this movie, I went in expecting to be let down with the love story. I expected to find it too fake and put upon. I was wrong. Lucas handled it wonderfully. The fact that it took a moment of extreme despair for Padme to finally let go and love him was good. Anakin’s outright obsession with Padme was chilling. This is some great foreshadowing to the kind of passion that drives a Dark Lord of the Sith to hunt down and kill all the Jedis. This film was full of the heavy stuff that sets up III and finally gives way to the Star Wars Universe we see at the beginning of ANH. George Lucas succeeded with flying colors on this one!

JediTricks
05-30-2002, 03:38 AM
"Hate"? No, but I didn't like it, it's somewhere above hate but circling "dull filler" for me. It has an exciting recipe with interesting ingredients that ends up coming out runny oatmeal.

Boogiechillin
06-04-2002, 06:14 PM
Very disappointing movie, IMO. I love Star Wars, and I'm just getting back into collecting after getting through my undergraduate years, but the only thing that keeps AOTC from being terrible is that TPM was worse.

Was the last half hour fun? Sure. But that's all I can say about it. Here's my ever-growing list of criticisms:

1) Lucas and that chump from the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles need to sit down for some lessons in remedial dialogue writing. I'm sorry, I know that a trademark of the series is exaggerated and antiquated speech, but the classic trilogy managed to pull it off most of the time without making me groan in pain. If I could have a Jedi power, it would be the ability to move a piece of duct tape over Hayden Christensen's mouth every time he opens it. Which segues into #2...
2) I didn't like Christensen as Anakin. This might be unfair; he seems like a talented actor elsewhere, but I didn't think he delivered a believable Anakin here. We are given absolutely no reason to like this kid - I want a little internal struggle here, show me that he's trying to be good instead of a spoiled, arrogant brat from the movie's start. A bad apple that gets worse isn't dramatic or in the least bit tragic; it's boring. I wanted a hint of the goodness that surfaces at the end of ROTJ, and I didn't get it.
3) The romance was unbelievable and the lovers were poorly matched - they had zero chemistry. A lot of this is a result of points 1&2 above, but it bears mentioning anyway. The rest is due to poor editing and cutting the parts of the movie that established motivation and built character. At the very least, we should have met Padme's family and set up the backstory of how she's sacrificed love and family for duty all of her life...it makes it somewhat believable that she would be able to fall in love with Anakin when he's such a blatant (and unstable) jerk.
4) Build a set, dammit. Just build a set. CGI is not the answer to every visual effect, and with Lucas it sometimes feels like lazy filmmaking. I was so happy when they got to Naboo because there was FINALLY something real in the background. I've got to think that this is a large part of why the acting is so stale in the modern trilogy - the actors have no sets to work with, and half of their castmates won't be rendered until 6 months after shooting is finished.
5) Use the fans, George. We are not the enemy, and our opinions should be ignored or written off as insanity because we actually like your movies. (Well, most of them). Peter Jackson is making movies that are acclaimed both by critics and overinvolved fans because he can strike a balance between fan requests and mainstream requirements. Episode III could work out the same way if Lucas would valet park his ego and hop on the average SW BB for a half hour.

Just my 2 cents... :D

bluesaber73
11-17-2002, 12:12 PM
After a years worth of contemplation and watching Episode II on DVD this past week, I have come to a final conclusion that Hayden Christensen is terrible. Lucas needs to bump up the age of Anakin for Ep III and recast the character.

This actor is one of the many reasons that I feel that Ep 2 was not a good sw film. Amongst the static love scenes and predictable dialogue, aimless adventure and meaningless scenes, Hayden's bland acting style drives the movie head first into a two hour string of dissapointments. As Hayden portrays the emotionally torn young Anakin the same expression is utilized by the actor whether he just saw his mother die or if he just learned a new jedi power. It's this minimal style of acting that was not on the resume of any other actor in the series. What boggles me most is that the creators of Smallville found 5 great young actors to play parts on a tv series but Uncle George couldn't cast one decent young man to pick up the most important role in these two films. I fear for Episode III and implore that the character be recast.

Let it be known that this is only one of the many ways that the sw series must be redeemed. It should also be noted that for Ep III, Jar Jar should be redeemed from the abomidable dumping that he was slapped with in Ep2, Obi-Wan should not be man handled by an old man so easily, get back to the old mythology that resided in Ep I and made SW a great trilogy, and more high adventure sequences that parallel each other without any deadspace love scenes in between. Love scenes are good if they are prompted by excitement, danger, and adventure: as Han and Leia had in ESB. NO RUNNING THROUGH MEADOWS!!!

Please respond with many opinions to support the recast of Anakin.[COLOR=darkblue]

Beast
11-17-2002, 12:41 PM
Hayden is fine. We had no idea what kind of a person Anakin was before E1 and E2. Hayden's supposed to be acting somewhat bland, he's been trained by the jedi to control his emotions. But the times that those emotions boil over and erupt are excellent.

Why shouldn't Obi-Wan get his arse kicked by Dooku, or as you refer to him "an old man". Count Dooku is one of the most powerful Jedi alive, and was trained personally by Yoda. He's even more powerful now with his Sith abilities.

You forget the fact that we never saw a real love scene with Han and Leia. All we saw where the early stages of flirtations. Anakin and Padme have to actually fall in love, in similar style to the old serials. I think Lucas has captured that pretty well. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
11-17-2002, 12:47 PM
If this was in the Episode I section, I might have some suggestions for recasting Anakin (Jake Lloyd :D ) but I thought Hayden was pretty cool; in fact he's one of the reasons I liked Episode II so much. :)
His emotion is my favorite in the entire series, if they had somebody like Mark Hamill in these new ones I don't know how long I would keep up with it . . .

Pendo
11-17-2002, 12:47 PM
I think Hayden was perfect for the role. He would have been my second choice to play Anakin, after me of course :rolleyes:;)!

Anakin Skywalker is a complicated character to play he is both a good guy and bad guy, and they have to merge into the same character. I think Hayden does a splendid job at it. I very much doubt there are many people who could have done it as good as him (except me :)).

PENDO!

bluesaber73
11-17-2002, 05:52 PM
To:Boogiechillin
I fully agree with every point you make in this post. I can only hope that someone in Lucasfilm understands our concerns. Our comments are not one's of ridicule but observations of fans who understand the nuances that made the original three films great and what is missing from Ep2 (Ep 1 was fine by me). We can only hope. MTFBWY.

Brave Sir Robin
12-19-2002, 01:13 PM
Did anyone else HATE Attack of the Clones? Cuz I did. I was just wondering if I was alone in this arena.

I'm not trying to start any fights, I'm just asking.

Rogue II
12-19-2002, 01:25 PM
I would not say that I hate it, but I don't like as much as any of the Classic Trilogy films. I'm not exactly sure what bothers me about it. It may be Anakin's character, or possibly the lack of flow to the film. Overall, it wasn't a bad movie. It was better than TPM.

Pendo
12-19-2002, 01:52 PM
Yeah, same as what Rogue II said :).

PENDO!

Patient Zero
12-19-2002, 02:01 PM
I have only watched it twice since it came out on video. I just haven't the urge. ESB I've watched as many times since the release of AOTC. :(

Fulit
12-19-2002, 02:18 PM
I hated the plot, sort of. It's just kind of boring, you know? In the theater, I didn't like how the plot drug on for 2 hours, and right when your butt is getting sore from sitting, and you just want to leave, then the action scenes you've waited the whole movie to see begin. I mean, couldn't we have cut out the whole stupid Dexter Diner thing and Obi-Wan's half-a**ed "investigation", (What is he, Hunter?) and extended the lightsaber battles longer?
It almost felt like GL stuck in an obligatory lightsaber battle, ok chop chop, slash slash, there ya go.

Yeah, now that you mention it, I do hate it! And all the other movies too! Why am I here? I quit! :p j/k If I think about it long enough, though, theres things I hate about each movie, but overall the things I like about each movie outweigh them, and keep me a slave to the world of SW, and a hopeless action figure obssessor.

JediTricks
12-19-2002, 07:17 PM
I didn't like it, but I didn't "hate it". To restate my opinion, I felt like AOTC was a recipe that used fantastic, exotic ingredients but the finished product is flavorless mush.

Rogue II
12-19-2002, 09:58 PM
Was it just me, or did the battle of the Clone Troopers vs. the battle droid army seem like a commercial for a video game.

mini-rock
12-20-2002, 01:52 AM
Do I hate AOTC? HELL NO!!! By far the best Star Wars film ever made. Don't get me wrong I greup with & love the OT, but when compared to EPs 1&2 the OT just seems sooooooo....BLAH! Bland, flavorless. Hopefully GL can breath some life back into the OT for the Archival Edition release otherwise it will feel sort of outa place next to the PT.

Pendo
12-20-2002, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by Rogue II
Was it just me, or did the battle of the Clone Troopers vs. the battle droid army seem like a commercial for a video game.

Hehehe, now that you mention it :D!! Good one Rogue II :p!

Originally posted by mini-rock
Do I hate AOTC? HELL NO!!! By far the best Star Wars film ever made. Don't get me wrong I greup with & love the OT, but when compared to EPs 1&2 the OT just seems sooooooo....BLAH! Bland, flavorless. Hopefully GL can breath some life back into the OT for the Archival Edition release otherwise it will feel sort of outa place next to the PT.

To me it seems like you are judging the films by their effects, not the story. Maybe you're not but thats how it seems.

What do you mean the OT will look out of place??? IMO it is the PT that looks totaly out of place!

PENDO!

mini-rock
12-20-2002, 10:29 PM
OK first it is not my intention to ruffle anyone's feathers here. After all it's just an opinion.

Now to answer your question Pendo the answer would be no. No, I'am not basing my opinion solely on effects. I base it on everything from story, effects, pace, acting, etc.

But I have to ask does that really matter? Would an opinion of a film be any less if it were based on effects alone or were you just wondering? IMO the story is the most important part of a film, but I wouldn't cast someone's opinion aside (not saying that you have) just b/c it was different than what I feel is important.:)

Pendo
12-21-2002, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by mini-rock
OK first it is not my intention to ruffle anyone's feathers here. After all it's just an opinion.

Now to answer your question Pendo the answer would be no. No, I'am not basing my opinion solely on effects. I base it on everything from story, effects, pace, acting, etc.

But I have to ask does that really matter? Would an opinion of a film be any less if it were based on effects alone or were you just wondering? IMO the story is the most important part of a film, but I wouldn't cast someone's opinion aside (not saying that you have) just b/c it was different than what I feel is important.:)

Sorry if it seemed like I was knocking your oppinion, I didn't mean to. By the way you worded your first post, it seemed to me that you maybe prefered the PT because they were newer, and not by actual story line (because I've never heard anyone say they prefer the PT stories to the OT ones :p), but it's more clear to me now what you meant :).

PENDO!

SW_Loyalist
12-21-2002, 03:14 PM
I found the plot interesting & mysterious. Anakin's character was well written and acted. I thought the way the story split in two following Anakin and Obi-Wan then bringing them back at the climax was great. It was well paced and a great lead in to what has to be a spectacular conclusion with III.

I don't think the battle sequences were like a video game commercial at all. That impression must be spawned from our knowing it's computer generated and in that mind-set of thinking 'CGI' some people end up creating the association of it being like a video game. Since there is nothing in the battle sequence that's like a video game (other than the tactical battle scematic they saw on the table with video game-ish representations) then it's obviously not the film's fault that we're programmed with these impressions. How do I know this? Because when I saw ANH I had no impression of video games in it's battles, but now I do. What changed? The film didn't. We did when Asteroids and Pac Man showed up.

So, that impression isn't in front your eyes... it's behind them.

Anyway, I thought AOTC was fantastic and I'm left drooling for Episode III.

mini-rock
12-22-2002, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by Pendo
Sorry if it seemed like I was knocking your oppinion, I didn't mean to. By the way you worded your first post, it seemed to me that you maybe prefered the PT because they were newer, and not by actual story line (because I've never heard anyone say they prefer the PT stories to the OT ones :p), but it's more clear to me now what you meant :).

PENDO!

No need for any apologies, I didn't feel you were knocking my opinion :D.

Like I've said I still love the OT, but EPs 1&2 are just so masterfully done that the OT seems a little flat in comparison.