PDA

View Full Version : WHAT IF: What if you had to buy one Star Wars toy...

JEDIpartner
05-16-2002, 08:40 AM
and your choices were:

1. Electronic Battle Droid Rifle
2. Rampaging Reek
3. 12" Obi-Wan Kenobi

Which would you buy?

JEDIpartner
05-16-2002, 09:20 AM
The reason I'm asking is because I have to get a gift for someone and these items are on their list. I am SUCH a horrible person to decide on this and I thought I would ask the forumites for their opinions.

Dave_Cameron
05-16-2002, 09:27 AM
I'd probably go with the Battle Droid Rifle if the person is a kid and loved to "role play". I'd go with the Reek if the person had any intention of also getting the Nexu and the Acklay. 12" Obi-Wan isn't bad, but it's not the best 12" figure they've ever made.

I suppose I'd go with the Reek or the Rifle.

187-Maul
05-16-2002, 09:43 AM
if it's a kid I would definetly get him the BD rifle
when I was a kid I loved role-playing with guns and stuff

JEDIpartner
05-16-2002, 09:46 AM
Well... it's a mid-teen boy, the son of a co-worker. He's a pretty nice kid and a collector as well.... that's why I am so confused as to what he'd like. You know... he's at that age... :rolleyes:

jblodgett
05-16-2002, 09:51 AM
I'd take the 12 inch Kenobi... I'm kind of partial to Obiwan.

Bottom line-- if all 3 items are on his "wish list" then you can't go wrong with any of them.

eliwankenobi
05-16-2002, 11:24 AM
Hmmmmmm... a mid teen boy. I would venture to guess that at that age he wouldn't be running around shooting his playmates with the BD Rifle (but then who am I to talk - I'm 32 and still play with my electronic lightsabers). I'm just trying to think about what's "teen cool" right now.

Let's see, I'm not personally a big fan of the Reek, and I see these being one of the first "clearance" items.

That leaves 12" Obi-Wan. While he's not the greatest sculpt, I think this one holds the most "collectibility", so this one might be the most appealing.

Good luck.

CrossWizard
05-16-2002, 12:06 PM
Kenobi's 12 incher....ummmm I mean 12 inch Obi Wan Kenobi for sure. :D

InsaneJediGirl
05-16-2002, 12:57 PM
I'd get him the 12'' Kenobi.Collectible and not too childish like the BD blaster.:D

Taichi
05-16-2002, 01:17 PM
The Big Kenobi, or even Clonetrooper.....

or the Reek......I liked the Reek......I'd get the Reek, but I really want an Acklay......

Vortex
05-16-2002, 01:19 PM
I vote Reek. Makes a noise and can be used with other figs. GI Joe vs. The Reek.

Get the Reek or the party will Stink. Hey I made a funny...not a good one, but a funny none the less.

brentfett
05-16-2002, 01:19 PM
If he's a collector, I'd get him the Reek.

mark2d2
05-16-2002, 02:54 PM
Okay, BECAUSE it's ON your friend's very OWN LIST . . .

I'd go with the blaster rifle. This is one cool toy. And while he might feel silly buying it for himself ---- he obviously still want it . . . Again -- it's on HIS list . . .

My Logic is simple . . . of the three it's by far the coolest toy.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-16-2002, 05:09 PM
Yeah, the Reek. If he's a collector and gets the figures that's the best choice. The 12" series are really doll-like and the rifle is more for little kids running around in the front yard.

And you know what, I've actually seen one on clearance at a TRU. I think there was something wrong with it though.

Darth Sidious
05-16-2002, 05:12 PM
I'd get the rifle. I always thought the roleplay thingies were fun (Mostly the lightsabers). I even like the lightsabers now. :D

Beast
05-16-2002, 05:24 PM
Gotta go with the reek, especially after seeing it in action in the movie. Cool beastie. :cool:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
05-16-2002, 08:28 PM
I would go with the Reek. It may be common now but the electronics make it a surefire collectible piece of gold for the future. it's a mean looking dinobeast which is better than goodie two shoes Kenobi IMO. Kenobi is a horrid piece of plastic voodoo dolly. Out of scale and girly. The battle droid blaster is fun for five minutes and then takes up a lot of room in the closet. get him the Reek becuase it's small and perfectly formed and will work well on a shelf or in 'play' with other figures. Plus he can have fun trying to work out why the Reeks sound effects sound like an AT-AT in walk mode. :)

Beast
05-16-2002, 08:38 PM
Quick question to all the Reek owners, since I don't have the beastie yet. But have you tried placing the widestanced Padme and Obi-Wan on it's back, and having them ride it like they do in the movie. I am not certain the current Anakin will fit, but it looks like Padme and Obi-Wan will. If he does, you can use the chain the comes with Padme, as the chain Ani uses as a bridle. Perhaps Hasbro wasn't foolish in making Padme's and Obi's stances so wide, if I'm right. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
05-17-2002, 02:21 AM
The Reek, definitely the Reek!

JJB, I don't have Padme, but the Coruscant chase Obi-Wan does sit on the Reek's back, even though he looks a little silly up there all by himself.

I wouldn't bother getting him the 12" Obi-Wan, since Hasbro will most likely release a much better one later with the new body.

Beast
05-17-2002, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
JJB, I don't have Padme, but the Coruscant chase Obi-Wan does sit on the Reek's back, even though he looks a little silly up there all by himself.
Thanks BigB, if Obi-Wan sits fine, I am sure that Padme will. Not sure if Hanger Duel Anakin can, but if not the Deluxe figure will. I think that I definatly am picking the Reek up next month, and gonna put all three of them on it's back, like in the movie. Thanks again for including that chain with Padme, Hasbro. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
05-17-2002, 09:01 AM
It sounds like I will be going for the Reek. It's really neat to see how the votes were split. After seeing the film and how much the Reek was actually in it, I think he'd like this one as well. He's going to see the film on his birthday next Tuesday and geting the gifts afterwards, so this might just work. If it were for me... I'd probably get the rifle and run or drive around like an *** for days shooting at kids in my neighbourhood! :rolleyes: